Page 141 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 41911311391401411421431511912416411141 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Hoptimum-Sierra Nevda Brewing

Hop bomb/explosion alert. I think this brew has been around for several years but has not graced my palate until this week. My daughter found a 4 pack of this at Sam's in Derm a couple weeks ago for about $10 and she dropped off the goodies last week while visiting as I searched for Rocky Mountain brews. The variety and quantity of hops used cover about all bases of flavors/tastes from intense grapefuitiness to oily, resinous piney notes. The IBU are a stunning 100 making it one of the more bitter brews SN has produced. Perhaps even most bitter as I believe Bigfoot weighs in at "only" 96 or 98 IBU. It pours an orange-yellow with a large creamy head. Hops are the winners here but there are more than sufficient quantities of caramel and pale malts to nearly balance the assault on your bitterness sensors and have this check in at 10.4% ABV. This is a sipping beer so if you can find any, rinse out your snifter, let your bottle sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before decanting and then savor this rare find. I have 3 bottles left and one is for my son when he moves back to NC next month, one is to cellar for a year or more and fuse gets the final treasure.

Notes from the brewer:

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Great label, too:

2010_Beer_Hoptimum.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Fair warning, I really like sour beers. Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the 2011 New Belgium Lips of Faith Le Terroir, which was unbelievably good.

La Folie is another outstanding beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith line, which is New Belgium's limited release seasonal series in 22oz bombers.

For the unsuspecting drinker, La Folie looks like any other light brown ale. From a distance in a glass, you might even confuse it with a Newcastle. Stick your nose in the glass and you'll be rewarded with a woody, somewhat funky aroma.

If memory serves, the 2010 and 2011 La Folie I would have described as a "sour patch kid" in a glass. If you like drinks that make you pucker up, La Folie is for you.

The 2012 is surprisingly less intense, perhaps more mature. There is a brief sweet tang up front, but the finish is all sour that lingers, with a bit of a woody note.

There is no balance here, and that is fine by me. This sour brown ale really hits the spot. I'd be hard pressed to suggest food pairings (the New Belgium website has some suggestions) but a mild cheese might work.

If you like tart or sour flavours, La Folie is not to be missed.
    More great stuff. I have unearthed some old reviews of the only 3 Lips of Faith brews that I have tasted. I think all the rest I saw were $12-14 so I passed on those.

(From 2/22/10):

Le Fleur, Misseuer-New Belgium-Lips of Faith series-

What a funky brew! I think it comes closest to a Belgian single or white ale with a fizzy, whitish-yellow pour and crisp apples and pears on the taste. Wheat malt is not mentioned at their web site but there is a bit of citrus in the flavor, too. What makes this funky is a slightly musty, sour taste that come from the Brett yeast used in the fermentation process. It is nowhere near as sour as a Rodenbach however. This was a bomber consumed over a couple hours this weekend while working on some financial/business stuff and I really enjoyed its complexity. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is 6.2% so a great beer for tasting in a session, sharing with friends or with a chicken or fish meal with some fruity salsa toppings. Heck, this would be a fine lawnmower brew, too.

Fair warning, I really like sour beers. Unfortunately, I no longer have any of the 2011 New Belgium Lips of Faith Le Terroir, which was unbelievably good.

La Folie is another outstanding beer from New Belgium's Lips of Faith line, which is New Belgium's limited release seasonal series in 22oz bombers.

For the unsuspecting drinker, La Folie looks like any other light brown ale. From a distance in a glass, you might even confuse it with a Newcastle. Stick your nose in the glass and you'll be rewarded with a woody, somewhat funky aroma.

If memory serves, the 2010 and 2011 La Folie I would have described as a "sour patch kid" in a glass. If you like drinks that make you pucker up, La Folie is for you.

The 2012 is surprisingly less intense, perhaps more mature. There is a brief sweet tang up front, but the finish is all sour that lingers, with a bit of a woody note.

There is no balance here, and that is fine by me. This sour brown ale really hits the spot. I'd be hard pressed to suggest food pairings (the New Belgium website has some suggestions) but a mild cheese might work.

If you like tart or sour flavours, La Folie is not to be missed.
    From 5/10/11:

Dunkel Weiss-New Belgium

Not a really sexy name for a beer but this was quite the buy at about $6 for the bomber with a 9% ABV. It begins with a fairly typical dark brown pour but the wheat makes it just a bit cloudy. The aroma is one of the better ones I have sniffed in a while because of the ripe bananas and cloves and perhaps a bit of dark cherries and brown sugar. The alcohol kicks in about 30 minutes later (or less). IBU are rather light, guessing about 30. Not sure I'd match this with any food except some dark fruits. This is part of their Lips of Faith series and I have avoided Biere de Mars and La Folie, IIRC, as they are about $13 or $14 for the bombers.

From the brewer:

Deep amber brown with a dense off-white head, Dunkelweiss rediscovers hefeweissbiers through a Belgian brewer’s lens. Envisioned by our own Matty “Smooth” Gilliland, this beer opens with sweet clove, chocolate and banana notes that give way to a warm finish with a peppery tingle across the palate.

“I thought it would be fun to make a German wheat beer; we’ve explored the Belgian wheats pretty thoroughly,” said brewer, Matt Gilliland. “Since this is Lips of Faith, and part of what makes that program fun is to make beers that are really unique and different, making a big, strong, dark Weiss beer sounded pretty folly-licious. It’ll still showcase all of the flavors that a Hefeweiss beer would have, but add in the burly body and extra punch. Think of it as a Gran Cru dunkelweiss.”

Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 9.0%
    Hops - Target
    Malts - Pale, Wheat, Black Barley
    OG - 24.7
    Fruits/Spice - Black Pepper, Cloves

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Hop bomb/explosion alert. I think this brew has been around for several years but has not graced my palate until this week. My daughter found a 4 pack of this at Sam's in Derm a couple weeks ago for about $10 and she dropped off the goodies last week while visiting as I searched for Rocky Mountain brews. The variety and quantity of hops used cover about all bases of flavors/tastes from intense grapefuitiness to oily, resinous piney notes. The IBU are a stunning 100 making it one of the more bitter brews SN has produced. Perhaps even most bitter as I believe Bigfoot weighs in at "only" 96 or 98 IBU. It pours an orange-yellow with a large creamy head. Hops are the winners here but there are more than sufficient quantities of caramel and pale malts to nearly balance the assault on your bitterness sensors and have this check in at 10.4% ABV. This is a sipping beer so if you can find any, rinse out your snifter, let your bottle sit on the counter for about 15 minutes before decanting and then savor this rare find. I have 3 bottles left and one is for my son when he moves back to NC next month, one is to cellar for a year or more and fuse gets the final treasure.

Notes from the brewer:

A group of hop-heads and publicans challenged our Beer Camp brewers to push the extremes of whole-cone hop brewing. The result is this: a 100 IBU, whole-cone hurricane of flavor. Simply put —Hoptimum: the biggest whole-cone IPA we have ever produced. Aggressively hopped, dry-hopped, AND torpedoed with our exclusive new hop varieties for ultra-intense flavors and aromas.

Resinous "new-school" and exclusive hop varieties carry the bold and aromatic nose. The flavor follows the aroma with layers of aggressive hoppiness, featuring notes of grapefruit rind, rose, lilac, cedar, and tropical fruit—all culminating in a dry and lasting finish.

Great label, too:

2010_Beer_Hoptimum.jpg
    I am beaming with gratitude!

I am beaming with gratitude!
    And wipe that drool off your chin.

Last review I could find of the 3 Lips of Faith brews I have had (from 9/13/11):

Belgo-New Belgium Brewing

Pineapple juice. Dole pineapple juice. Hey, if Ozzie can describe Magic Hat as papaya juice then I certainly can think fresh-to-overripe Dole pineapples to describe this brew in their Lips of Faith Series. Interestingly, I think this was 1st released as a bomber in the series as all their other LoF have been so this 6er was a surprise to see on the shelves and then read about it. There are plenty of hops (5) in the brew with some dry hopping which yields an IBU of 70. There are some fresh floral notes, too. Generous amounts of malts balances the bitterness well and hits the ABV at 8%. The style is a Belgian IPA and the Belgian yeast gives a hint of black pepper and spice to the palate. This probably raced to near the top of my favorite IPAs due to its unique aromas and tastes and I'd sip one of these again with grilled halibut/tuna with a spicy and fruity salsa. I have several left from the 6er so CB&B, my son and my drug rep buddy will see one of these in their future traders and I will save 1 or 2 for myself.

Some brewer's notes:

Belgo IPA is a Belgian twist on India Pale Ale made with five varieties of hops. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops are pitched in the kettle. Cascade, Amarillo, and Willamette hops are added during dry-hopping. Medium-bodied, Belgo opens with citrus and floral tones from generous hopping, then gives way to soft fruit tones implied by the authentic Trappist yeast strain and finishes clean.
    Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 8.0%
    IBU - 70
    Calories - 232
    Hops - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo
    Malts - Pale, C120, Honey malt
    OG - 18.5
    TG - 3

2012 Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF

Oh, how I missed you!

Two years ago, Victory, Stone and Dogfish Head ( Brewers United for Full Flavour) collaborated (as an aside, what is it brewers and musicians have in common creatively to make collaborations soo good?) to make a saison style beer using herbs local to each brewery. Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme ( thank you Simon and Garfunkel) are all present to enhance this brew.

The nose is all herbal, floral and a pure delight. This beer sparkles invitingly in the glass, a pleasing golden hue.
    There is a lemony sweetness up front, with a crisp, herbal breads finish.

I was able to do a side by side of the original three interpretations, and honestly I liked the Stone best, followed by Victory and DFH. Honestly, I don't care since DFH was the only one to re-release this tasty brew.

I bought a whole case, I hope I make it last the summer.

Oh, how I missed you!

Two years ago, Victory, Stone and Dogfish Head ( Brewers United for Full Flavour) collaborated (as an aside, what is it brewers and musicians have in common creatively to make collaborations soo good?) to make a saison style beer using herbs local to each brewery. Parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme ( thank you Simon and Garfunkel) are all present to enhance this brew.

The nose is all herbal, floral and a pure delight. This beer sparkles invitingly in the glass, a pleasing golden hue.
    There is a lemony sweetness up front, with a crisp, herbal breads finish.

I was able to do a side by side of the original three interpretations, and honestly I liked the Stone best, followed by Victory and DFH. Honestly, I don't care since DFH was the only one to re-release this tasty brew.

I bought a whole case, I hope I make it last the summer.
    Excellent. Another nominee for trading.

Seizoen-Logsdon Organic Farmhouse Ales

My son had an interview out in Portland, Oregon last month and safely returned with a great selection of Oregon ales and this was a celebration brew last PM. It was a capped and beeswax sealed 750 ml bottle of a saison/farmhouse ale from what I expect is a very small brewery outside Hood River, Oregon. This quaint little borough is also home to the slightly larger Full Sail Brewery. Fascinating and very distinctive beverage. It pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a nose of black pepper and orange from a variety of Belgian or Belgian-style yeasts and I suspect a blend of lightly roasted caramel, pale and wheat malts. There are hints of apricot and peach and some funkiness. The head is a large, foamy one which lasts for quite a while. I'll guess the IBU to be low, guessing about 20-30 and the ABV on the bottle is 7.5% so we split the bottle. I'd pair this with soft or hard cheeses, a fruit tray or grilled chicken or lighter fish with a fruity salsa/compote. Sadly, I suspect I will never see this brew again. I think he brought back about $45 worth of beer and he made quite a haul. I'll guess this was $6-7 and well worth the price.

147285.jpg

120 Minute IPA (2007 version)-Dogfish Head Brewing

There should almost be another thread for this called the Ymm, Beverage thread because when an ale doesn't look or taste like an ale, there should be another category. Ratebeer refers to this as an American strong ale and DFH labels it an IIPA but I think this has tastes, aromas and textures of a dessert wine like a sherry. It pours a cloudy reddish-orange-amber with a minimal head and has aromas and tastes of golden raisins, brown sugar, maple and caramel with some citrus notes. The texture is syrupy and the sweetness dominates over the hop bitterness. This is somewhat surprising as the IBU are stated at 120 so it is one incredibly hopped/bitter ale, but, at an ABV of a numbing 18-21% (not on the bottle but from memory reading about this over the last several years), the booziness wins and is quickly apparent. This is a sipper and best served lightly chilled in a wine glass or snifter and enjoyed as your dessert or nightcap. My son and I split one of these over the weekend as another celebratory brew. I have a couple bottles of the 2008 vintage and think I bought all of these at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kin-tucky a couple years ago during a visit with the Lavabe family. Pretty spendy at about $8-9 for the 12 ounce (no typo) bottle, so this should be savored for special occasions.

22904.jpg

120 Minute IPA (2007 version)-Dogfish Head Brewing

There should almost be another thread for this called the Ymm, Beverage thread because when an ale doesn't look or taste like an ale, there should be another category. Ratebeer refers to this as an American strong ale and DFH labels it an IIPA but I think this has tastes, aromas and textures of a dessert wine like a sherry. It pours a cloudy reddish-orange-amber with a minimal head and has aromas and tastes of golden raisins, brown sugar, maple and caramel with some citrus notes. The texture is syrupy and the sweetness dominates over the hop bitterness. This is somewhat surprising as the IBU are stated at 120 so it is one incredibly hopped/bitter ale, but, at an ABV of a numbing 18-21% (not on the bottle but from memory reading about this over the last several years), the booziness wins and is quickly apparent. This is a sipper and best served lightly chilled in a wine glass or snifter and enjoyed as your dessert or nightcap. My son and I split one of these over the weekend as another celebratory brew. I have a couple bottles of the 2008 vintage and think I bought all of these at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kin-tucky a couple years ago during a visit with the Lavabe family. Pretty spendy at about $8-9 for the 12 ounce (no typo) bottle, so this should be savored for special occasions.

22904.jpg
    I'll couch my comments with the caveat that I have only had 120min once.
    I have another bottle in the fridge that honestly I've been reluctant to open.
    I love big, hoppy beers but 120 minute is all hype in my opinion.
    My experience with 120 minute was like drinking hop infused gasoline- all boozy alcohol with a heated, bitter hop finish.

Unlike Hoptimum, Hop Stoopid and some other Imperial IPAs, this is as unbalanced a beer as I can remember drinking (although Samiclaus and Sam Adams Triple Bock come close).
    This is all by (couple years old) memory, but there is no harmony I recall in 120 minute at all.
    True to DFH, this is an extreme beer.
    Definitely worth trying, but this is a polarizing beer experience for sure.

Moo Hoo-Terrapin Brewing Company

A glass full of Hershey's dark chocolate syrup with a couple stiff shots of whiskey. Well, not really but this milk stout is silky smooth from the oats, nearly black, somewhat viscous and oily and rather sweet from the lactose added. It pours with a small, tan head and has slight tastes of espresso. Any bitterness is well-masked from the chocolate malts, the added sugar and the cocoa nibs and shells used to concoct this brew. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is 6%. I got this as a trader from CB&B from a 4 pack he bought recently at Total Wine for about $11 which makes it a bit spendy per bottle. He enjoyed his grilling some ribs over the weekend and thought it tasted like an alcoholic frappuccino. This makes a fine dessert beer solo or would be a nice beverage with a slice of chocolate pound cake or flourless torte. Great label, too, with a terrapin bursting out of a cow costume.

Moo-Hoo-Square-web1-150x150.gif

I'll couch my comments with the caveat that I have only had 120min once.
    I have another bottle in the fridge that honestly I've been reluctant to open.
    I love big, hoppy beers but 120 minute is all hype in my opinion.
    My experience with 120 minute was like drinking hop infused gasoline- all boozy alcohol with a heated, bitter hop finish.

Unlike Hoptimum, Hop Stoopid and some other Imperial IPAs, this is as unbalanced a beer as I can remember drinking (although Samiclaus and Sam Adams Triple Bock come close).
    This is all by (couple years old) memory, but there is no harmony I recall in 120 minute at all.
    True to DFH, this is an extreme beer.
    Definitely worth trying, but this is a polarizing beer experience for sure.
    It might be smoother and more complex with aging, but, if you don't want your other bottle, I am available and a reasonable negotiator.

It might be smoother and more complex with aging, but, if you don't want your other bottle, I am available and a reasonable negotiator.
    The love of my life was able to get (2) 4 packs of Hoptimum, so I am now covered there and you have a bottle to cellar :-)

We need to revive the thought of who wants to meet over a beer face to face.
    When?
    Where?
    Bring trades?

-g

The love of my life was able to get (2) 4 packs of Hoptimum, so I am now covered there and you have a bottle to cellar :-)

We need to revive the thought of who wants to meet over a beer face to face.
    When?
    Where?
    Bring trades?

-g
    Excellent. Congrats. I know Ozzie is interested but had a family issue recently. CB&B would be but he lives in New Bern and is in Raleigh/Derm on occasion. I'll PM both of them, copy you and see if sometime in April is agreeable to all. We probably ought to call it a "head to head" meeting, just to keep it on-topic ;>)) .

Notes from the brewer:

Great label, too:

2010_Beer_Hoptimum.jpg
    Cracking the first of these tonight, here are my impressions.

Pours an amber not unlike that of a Sam Adams at a distance.
    What a glorious nose- as soon as I opened the bottle the air was bursting with glorious hoppy goodness.
    Pine, grass, citrus- I can almost feel the hop resins coating my nose, and what a smile that brings.
    Simply fresh, I could inhale this aroma all day.

Hop bitterness hits my tongue almost instantly. A malty note sneaks in, but to no avail as waves of hoppy bitterness overwhelm the rest. If you don't like hops, keep moving because we hopheads don't want to share.

This is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. Oh it is soo good!

I am so glad Sierra Nevada put this in 12oz bottles this year. I have one 22oz bomber left from last year, and I will try to do a side by side tasting. The issue is having some help- 34 oz of 10.4% would leave a mark the next day. This beer is so predominantly hoppy it really hides the high alcohol content.

A side by side with Hopslam, Avery Matharaja, and others would be interesting. My guess is the honeyed sweet of Hopslam would really contrast with Hoptimum.

A related note about beer and packaging. Especially for high alcohol beers, but even for session beers, I wish brewers would consider some sort of smaller size, a 4oz or 6oz can or bottle. What I really enjoy is being able to try a lot of beers to compare and contrast flavours and styles. 12oz, 22oz and 750ml really can limit what you can reasonably sample in a sitting.

Back to Hoptimum - I was concerned that last year might have been a one time run, and was thrilled that it is back and in a smaller size. If you like hops, seek out Hoptimum!

Cracking the first of these tonight, here are my impressions.

Pours an amber not unlike that of a Sam Adams at a distance.
    What a glorious nose- as soon as I opened the bottle the air was bursting with glorious hoppy goodness.
    Pine, grass, citrus- I can almost feel the hop resins coating my nose, and what a smile that brings.
    Simply fresh, I could inhale this aroma all day.

Hop bitterness hits my tongue almost instantly. A malty note sneaks in, but to no avail as waves of hoppy bitterness overwhelm the rest. If you don't like hops, keep moving because we hopheads don't want to share.

This is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale on steroids. Oh it is soo good!

I am so glad Sierra Nevada put this in 12oz bottles this year. I have one 22oz bomber left from last year, and I will try to do a side by side tasting. The issue is having some help- 34 oz of 10.4% would leave a mark the next day. This beer is so predominantly hoppy it really hides the high alcohol content.

A side by side with Hopslam, Avery Matharaja, and others would be interesting. My guess is the honeyed sweet of Hopslam would really contrast with Hoptimum.

A related note about beer and packaging. Especially for high alcohol beers, but even for session beers, I wish brewers would consider some sort of smaller size, a 4oz or 6oz can or bottle. What I really enjoy is being able to try a lot of beers to compare and contrast flavours and styles. 12oz, 22oz and 750ml really can limit what you can reasonably sample in a sitting.

Back to Hoptimum - I was concerned that last year might have been a one time run, and was thrilled that it is back and in a smaller size. If you like hops, seek out Hoptimum!
    I have a wine cork that I have shaved down so it fits into a bottle. I also have an inexpensive rubber wine stopper with multiple "flaps" or phlanges that provides a reasonable though not ideal seal so you can divide a 12 or 22 ounce bottle into two servings. Not quite as good the second night but acceptable.

I have a wine cork that I have shaved down so it fits into a bottle. I also have an inexpensive rubber wine stopper with multiple "flaps" or phlanges that provides a reasonable though not ideal seal so you can divide a 12 or 22 ounce bottle into two servings. Not quite as good the second night but acceptable.
    I have a vacuvin as well as some glass wine stoppers from some nice bottles of wine that I use occasionally, but if its a good beer, it generally does not last :-)

Dogfish Head SahTea

I'm not sure if this was a 2011 or not, could be a 2010(slim chance). I don't think it's a 2012 as I don't think DFH has released it this year yet.

If you like chai tea, you simply must try this beer. The pour is very a very clear orange gold, a shade or two deeper than a pilsner.

The nose is like you are inhaling an iced chai tea. There is a bit of bitterness on the tongue followed by a sweetness that is not a pure malt sweet, almost a honey sweet, and the finish is all chai.

For those that had never had chai tea, hot or cold, it is a wonderful melange of flavours.

From the DFH website:
    The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

This beer is perfect for a hot spring or summer day. What DFH means by highly quaffable is you'd never know this beer was 9% until its too late.

If you are looking for food pairings, think mild as the beer flavours here should be the star of the show.

Dogfish Head makes so many good beers and for me this is in their top ten.

If you are looking for a unique, enjoyable beer you should add SahTea to your list of brews to find.

UFO White-Harpoon Brewing

Harpoon has a small series of these brews and this is the UnFiltered Offering White variety. Pours a slightly cloudy yellow with the usual suspects of coriander and orange peel in the flavors. Fizz is mild and I'd pair this with some light appetizers, fruits and perhaps some light seafood entrees. I got this as a trader from my drug rep buddy and would certainly have one of these on a warm spring afternoon on a porch swing or rocking chair. I'd guess the IBU about 20 and the ABV about 5% so two of these would not hurt you too much after mowing your lawn either.

By chance, and it was just by chance, I heard a song Sunday night on the CMA's that I thought was very catchy and an appropriate theme song for this thread! It was the only part of the show I watched.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=aUh-HmcSpPM :beer: :beer:
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com