Page 14 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624641145141014 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Slim's Sweetwater Collection

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Lavabe,

Unfortunately, I never made it to Sweetwater. I did, however, pick up three six packs at the store to sample. (And no, I did not drink all 18 by myself. )

The 420 Extra Pale Ale was okay. Not very hoppy. Nothing to write home about, but a solid EPA.

Sweet Georgia Brown was tasty, and liked by all who tried it. Nice flavor; not too sweet. Would like to try this on tap, as you suggested.

The final beer I tried was the Hummer, which is a Belgian White. Not really a mid-winter brew, but I wanted variety. Floral and citrusy/fruity. I would buy this again in the summer, but would not be a regular purchase for me.

Slim
    Glad you could find some brew! The 420 does improve when on draught, but depending on the bottle, I enjoy it in bottle. SGBrown is VERY nice on draught, and holds up reliably well in bottle. The IPA is FANTASTIC in the bottle, and for what it is, so is the Sweetwater Blue (Blueberry). The Hummer first appeared in 2006 (IIRC), and I just raved about it when it first came out (summer). I agree, though ... not a winter brew. They used to have a dandy ESB, but I think it's gone the same way as my favorite Ben&Jerry's Festivus ice cream.

Has anyone seen the Sweetwater alehouse at the Atlanta airport? Did it open?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymmm, beer

SlimSlowSlider/Ohioguy/Throaty-getting a 'shipment' this weekend of New Belgiums, including Fat Tire, Tripple and 2 Below. Any reviews of the latter 2 brews that any one would like to share? I will post in the next several days, dependent on delivery and sampling times.

I don't know exactly where the East ends, but you can get lots of New Belgium in StL, including the Frambozen.

Sweet GA Brown is on draught in Hartsfield, several places, including TGI Friday's.

Throaty is on another temperance kick, but I can bring unavailables Southeast next time I come in a car. Maybe in the summer.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Smile Thank you Hartsfield-Jackson Airport!

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I don't know exactly where the East ends, but you can get lots of New Belgium in StL, including the Frambozen.

Sweet GA Brown is on draught in Hartsfield, several places, including TGI Friday's.

Throaty is on another temperance kick, but I can bring unavailables Southeast next time I come in a car. Maybe in the summer.
    Gosh I hope to be in St. Louis SOMEtime before then!

Any good brews native of SoCal?

Cheers,
    Lavabe

devildeac -

Haven't tried any of those Belgiums. Am drinking a Sam's Imperial Pilsener right now. Yum.

I will again throw out a favorite website of mine. www.beeradvocate.com It is free to register, and a lot of folks post their reviews of the beers. You should check it out.

Slim

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

man, that's just the type of responsible drinking we don't like around these parts(or something like that ).

yes, I will still be thirsty when you return this summer

ymmm, beer

Duke wins-UGGLLY
    unc wins-my word klempsun's FT's are ugglly

At least I am semi-enjoying my Bell's Cherry Stout. This is a dark, rich, chocolatey brew made with tart Michigan cherries which do not overpower you with fruitiness. Ohioguy-you may wish to hunt down a 6er of this one wherever you can find it. Kinda like a semi-sweet chocolate covered cherry. A nice dessert beer or night cap.

another Bell's brew

This time, the Java Stout. Appears to be their typical thick, roasty recipe but this one is brewed with coffee beans and has a very aromatic, pleasant espresso taste. Another one for Ohioguy to search out in his beer-shopping travels. You and your friends oughta have a MLK beer party or a Valentine's Day sampler, followed by a President's Day tasting

Prophetic that you mention another party!! Today at 6 we are having a smaller version (3 couples). I will start grilling Bambi's hind quarter at noon. The beer will be my left over New Belgium variety--Sunshine, Motherwit, Fat Tire (only one bottle-mine), and Blue Paddle. About 10 bottles in all. Our friends will bring something along also. One is a big Saranac fan so I hope he has some Caramel Porter still in his stock. This will be the end of my current group, so I will try the Bell's(Cherry) as my next buy. BTW, the wives are going for wine this time out--I Love My Goat Red from Bully Hill will be the "house wine " to go with Bambi. Have to get the grill started--I am in luck that the temp. is around 32 and the wind is still. Happy beer to you.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Prophetic that you mention another party!! Today at 6 we are having a smaller version (3 couples). I will start grilling Bambi's hind quarter at noon. The beer will be my left over New Belgium variety--Sunshine, Motherwit, Fat Tire (only one bottle-mine), and Blue Paddle. About 10 bottles in all. Our friends will bring something along also. One is a big Saranac fan so I hope he has some Caramel Porter still in his stock. This will be the end of my current group, so I will try the Bell's(Cherry) as my next buy. BTW, the wives are going for wine this time out--I Love My Goat Red from Bully Hill will be the "house wine " to go with Bambi. Have to get the grill started--I am in luck that the temp. is around 32 and the wind is still. Happy beer to you.
    A regional sales manager friend of mine has some henchmen in Colorado who shipped some New Belgiums to him last week(Fat Tire, Tripple and 2 Below). We should meet in the next several days for the exchange. I am really looking forward to the Tripple but have never tried the 2 Below so I am giddy with anticipation to try that selection. Enjoy Bambi and Happy New Beer, er Hoppy New Year, err, Happy New Year to you and your gang, too.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    A regional sales manager friend of mine has some henchmen in Colorado who shipped some New Belgiums to him last week(Fat Tire, Tripple and 2 Below). We should meet in the next several days for the exchange. I am really looking forward to the Tripple but have never tried the 2 Below so I am giddy with anticipation to try that selection. Enjoy Bambi and Happy New Beer, er Hoppy New Year, err, Happy New Year to you and your gang, too.
    Glad to see this thread back near the top of the OTB. Finally got myself some Breck Vanilla Porter and will be trying it tonight. The only beer of theirs I've ever had is the Avalanche Ale, and it's been a while.

The 2 Below is a fantastic winter beer. It's my go-to beer pretty much the entirety of its seasonal availability. If you haven't tried it and your Colorado connection can send another batch, check out the New Belgium Abbey Ale. Great banana and clove flavor and while it's pretty sweet, you can have more than one in a sitting.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Glad to see this thread back near the top of the OTB. Finally got myself some Breck Vanilla Porter and will be trying it tonight. The only beer of theirs I've ever had is the Avalanche Ale, and it's been a while.

The 2 Below is a fantastic winter beer. It's my go-to beer pretty much the entirety of its seasonal availability. If you haven't tried it and your Colorado connection can send another batch, check out the New Belgium Abbey Ale. Great banana and clove flavor and while it's pretty sweet, you can have more than one in a sitting.
    I have had the Abbey Ale in years past during ski trips and, of course, 'smuggled' some back to NC in ski boots and socks after the trip was completed. Your assessment describes it perfectly. I will put in my request for the next shipment. Be sure to post your thoughts on the Vanilla Porter.

Has anyone had any Smuttynose brews? It's a New Hampshire based company, so I see their varieties all over the place up here. Haven't had an opportunity to try any yet, though, but there's a Winter Ale that might be intriguing.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Has anyone had any Smuttynose brews? It's a New Hampshire based company, so I see their varieties all over the place up here. Haven't had an opportunity to try any yet, though, but there's a Winter Ale that might be intriguing.
    I have seen them before but have never been adventurous enough to buy a 6er and try one. Why don't you but some singles or a 6er or two and give us a review next weekend? (pleeeaassee)

I'm krunk.

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    I'm krunk.
    Assuming you are now hung over, the cinnamon challenge is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by billybreen View Post
    Assuming you are now hung over, the cinnamon challenge is your friend.
    That may constitute cruel and unusual punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    That may constitute cruel and unusual punishment...
    It's like ripping off a band aid -- sure, it will be a couple minutes of hell, but then your system will be purged.

ymmm, beer

now back to your originally scheduled thread/topic.

ymmm, beer

thread hijack over