Page 137 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 37871271351361371381391471872376371137 ... LastLast
Results 2,721 to 2,740 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

New Belgium Frambozen

NB Frambozen, a brown ale brewed with raspberries.

A great standalone beer, although hard to sort what foods beyond the obvious desserts what you might drink this with.

Sweet but not cloyingly sweet, this brown ale has no real hop profile to speak of, although there must be enough to provide a very low amount of bitterness in mouth feel. Very crisp, clean with a mild fruit finish of raspberry.

If you like brown ales, this is enough of a different twist to satisfy your palate and curiosity. Pete's Wicked Ale was a beer I used to enjoy quite a bit and I was sad to see them go out of business. Frankly, Lone Rider Brown Betty winning the GABF gold medal for brown ales tells me how far the brown ale category has fallen as to me Brown Betty is nothing special. Frambozen is not a pure brown ale for sure but it is a winner in my book. We buy this New Belgium seasonal every year.

From an alcohol perspective, this beer is a session beer but unless you have a sweet tooth, you'll likely want no more than one or two in a sitting.

I'm a big fan of New Belgium in general and I think their "Lips of Faith" series of beers are industry leading.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Before I jump back in, I'll third Three Philosophers as an outstanding drop.

Rumor has it Sierra Nevada is bringing back Hoptimum in a 4 pack instead of 22oz bombers.
    I cracked open a 2011 Hoptimum bomber (only one left...).

First, I realize fresh hop beers should be consumed ASAP but I am a sucker for trying to do vertical tastings when I can so sometimes I hold onto things a bit longer than I should.

Hoptimum is a big in your face hoppy IPA / double IPA. It is a high alcohol beer suitable for sharing with like minded friends. This is not a well balanced beer- the nose is all pine, straw and a bit boozy- if you like the smell of hops you will enjoy the nose. In spite of the high hop (100+ IBUs) profile there is a bit of nice clean malt taste up front prior to the hops reaching out and smacking you around a bit. I love a good hop heavy beer and Hoptimum delivers. Bell's Hopslam could be a comparable beer of similar style but Hoptimum has none of the honey sweetness of the Hopslam.

If you like hops and IPAs, Hoptimum is worth drinking. Avery Mataraja is another good strong IPA that is a similar in style. Another home run from Sierra Nevada- quite excited that they are bringing beer and jobs to western NC and hoping New Belgium will follow suit soon.

Devildeac, I'm not sure we have critical local mass but it sounds like we could have some fun at Tyler's or some other local venue as Duke beer drinkers.
    I'd be down with that. Have had many a sandwich and pint at Tyler's over the last few years with Ozzie. They now have one in Raleigh but have not been there yet.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A great standalone beer, although hard to sort what foods beyond the obvious desserts what you might drink this with.

Sweet but not cloyingly sweet, this brown ale has no real hop profile to speak of, although there must be enough to provide a very low amount of bitterness in mouth feel. Very crisp, clean with a mild fruit finish of raspberry.

If you like brown ales, this is enough of a different twist to satisfy your palate and curiosity. Pete's Wicked Ale was a beer I used to enjoy quite a bit and I was sad to see them go out of business. Frankly, Lone Rider Brown Betty winning the GABF gold medal for brown ales tells me how far the brown ale category has fallen as to me Brown Betty is nothing special. Frambozen is not a pure brown ale for sure but it is a winner in my book. We buy this New Belgium seasonal every year.

From an alcohol perspective, this beer is a session beer but unless you have a sweet tooth, you'll likely want no more than one or two in a sitting.

I'm a big fan of New Belgium in general and I think their "Lips of Faith" series of beers are industry leading.

-g
    Don't think I have had a Frambozen in several years. I'll see if I can locate a review I may have done. That's one I'd buy every couple years or so. I know I have a couple Lips of Faith reviews somewhere and will try to locate those later tonite or tomorrow. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Black Chocolate Stout (07-08 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This remains one of my favorite brews, made even better with several years of aging. The smooth, silky texture remains and appears richer with cellaring. It pours an opaque black with a 1-2 finger head and the dark chocolate notes blend perfectly with a bit more whiskey-like tastes after 4-5 years in the bottle. I have never really detected any coffee presence in the brew and the heavily roasted bitter notes are perfectly balanced with the 6 grains used in the brewing process. Can't find the IBU anywhere but I'd estimate 70-80 which would be typical for most imperial stouts and the ABV is 10.6% with only mild booziness. I will always think of this exquisite brew as drinking a dark chocolate malted with a generous shot of whiskey. Best served at room temperature for your dessert but a slice of flourless chocolate cake or triple chocolate chip cookies would make nice friends here, too. Or, you could divide your 12 ounce serving and have half with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a beer float and have the other half solo or with a chocolate baked good.

Attachment 2432
    Black Chocolate Stout (10-11 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This RIS was a mere youngster only being brewed last year (well, technically fall, 2010) and aging for about 15 months but it was still highly quaffable. Not quite as smooth as a 2-3 year old version (or older) but still oily/thick/viscous and chewy. Same stats and thoughts as the 07-08 above with the same serving suggestions. They are sold in 4 packs for about $8 and well worth that price. No barrel aging or additives, just the 4 basic food groups of water, yeast, malted barley (and more malted barley) and hops. I may try one of the 08-09 versions tomorrow night.

-g
    From December, 2010:

Frambozen-New Belgium

One of their traditional winter offerings I have enjoyed almost annually for about a decade now. This is a brown ale brewed with Pacific NW raspberries (hand-picked by DA from what I understand ) and is a gorgeous ruby-brown color with a 2 fingered reddish-tan head and faint aromas of medium to dark caramel and raspberries. The raspberry taste is more prominent than the aroma and is quite pleasant and not over-powering. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is a very manageable 6.5%. Fine as a stand alone brew or with a dessert like Black Forest cake or a raspberry chocolate torte. Guess who's gonna find one of these in his next trading 6er.

-g
    From December, 2011:

Clutch-New Belgium Brewing

This is another brew from their Lips of Faith series and another very unique bottling. Think RIS blended with Rochefort 8, a Trappist ale. It is not quite as black/oily viscous as a stout but has the dark chocolaty characteristics from all the dark malts used and there are a ton as the ABV is 9%. The southern Belgian style ale, or sour ale, imparts the funky, dark fruitiness to the product with a bit of pucker. The IBU are surprisingly low at 19 as most RIS have them in the 60-80 range. I split an $8 bomber over 2 nights and I am not sure I'd pair this with any entrees but would serve it by itself in a snifter slightly chilled or with a generous wedge of high quality fruitcake. I'd love to taste this on draft, too.

Brewer's notes:

It started as chance, a sandwich shop encounter between a band and a fan. It ended as the Clutch Collaboration. This pleasing, two-part potion was brewed with chocolate and black malts for a rich and roasty overtone, then fused with a dry, substratum of sour for a bold and audacious flavor. Black as night, this beer is blended at 80% stout, 20% dark sour wood beer for a collaboration that begins with a sour edge and finishes with a big, dark malt character, lingering, sweet on your palate.

The two flavors come as raucous and riotous as the Maryland band and their Fort Collins fans, getting loud and making beer, together.
    Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 9.0%
    IBU - 19
    Calories - 260
    Hops - Target
    Malts - Dark Chocolate, Coffee, Black
    OG - 20
    TG - 3.2
    Fruits/Spice - Dark Wood Ale

-g
    From September, 2011:

Belgo-New Belgium Brewing

Pineapple juice. Dole pineapple juice. Hey, if Ozzie can describe Magic Hat as papaya juice then I certainly can think fresh-to-overripe Dole pineapples to describe this brew in their Lips of Faith Series. Interestingly, I think this was 1st released as a bomber in the series as all their other LoF have been so this 6er was a surprise to see on the shelves and then read about it. There are plenty of hops (5) in the brew with some dry hopping which yields an IBU of 70. There are some fresh floral notes, too. Generous amounts of malts balances the bitterness well and hits the ABV at 8%. The style is a Belgian IPA and the Belgian yeast gives a hint of black pepper and spice to the palate. This probably raced to near the top of my favorite IPAs due to its unique aromas and tastes and I'd sip one of these again with grilled halibut/tuna with a spicy and fruity salsa. I have several left from the 6er so CB&B, my son and my drug rep buddy will see one of these in their future traders and I will save 1 or 2 for myself.

Some brewer's notes:

Belgo IPA is a Belgian twist on India Pale Ale made with five varieties of hops. Simcoe, Cascade, Centennial, and Amarillo hops are pitched in the kettle. Cascade, Amarillo, and Willamette hops are added during dry-hopping. Medium-bodied, Belgo opens with citrus and floral tones from generous hopping, then gives way to soft fruit tones implied by the authentic Trappist yeast strain and finishes clean.
    Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 8.0%
    IBU - 70
    Calories - 232
    Hops - Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo
    Malts - Pale, C120, Honey malt
    OG - 18.5
    TG - 3

I think ATexDevil and someone else discussed this one with me a few months ago.

-g
    Found a third one from August, 2011:

Abbey Grand Cru-New Belgium Brewing

In my 3rd plate appearance of the evening, I sampled this gem and took it deep over the right center field wall for another 4 bagger. This is the "top shelf" version of their long-standing Abbey ale that I have enjoyed for years in Colorado apres ski or back in Raleigh after smuggling in various ski equipment. More malts but not many more hops give this brown, creamy ale wonderful aromas and tastes of ripe bananas and freshly ground cloves which is typical for an abbey or Belgian style brown ale. Dark brown sugar and mild chocolate are other flavors that I perceived in addition to dried, dark fruits. IBU are a bit lower than I would have thought at 20 and the ABV is a hefty 9.5%, perfect for a dessert beer served in a goblet. Once again, this was a 4 ounce sampler sipped with a salad but I'd prefer it alone. I am now 3-3 with one more brew sitting before me to complete a perfect evening at the plate . Here is some background from the brewer:

Before there was New Belgium Brewing, there was Abbey Ale. It was the first beer of home brewer and New Belgium co-founder, Jeff Lebesch. So the love brews deep for Abbey Grand Cru.

To date, Abbey Ale has garnered no less than 16 medals at the Great American Beer Festival 7 of those being Gold. Take that award-winning recipe, precisely increase the hops, malt and fermentation time, and the result is a Grand Cru worth collecting. And that s exactly what many of us at New Belgium, as well as a growing number of fans, have done.

By saving it for a few years, Abbey Grand Cru will continue to improve and age deliciously. Optimal storage is a cool (40-55°), dark place where the bottles can remain undisturbed. But lest we forget, it is a great beer and great beers deserve to be enjoyed. Best served at cellar temperature in a wide-mouthed glass. Toast to the monk s virtue and have a heavenly experience.
    Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 9.5%
    IBU - 20
    Calories - 270
    Hops - Willamette, Target, Liberty
    Malts - Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-80, Munich
    OG - 16.2
    TG - 2.6

I think this was one of their LoF series.

Olde Hickory Black Raven IPA

Pours inky brown like a proper stout with a coffee colored head that lingers only briefly. Interestingly enough the head gives way to Belgian lace that clings to the glass throughout.

Ever so faint fresh hop nose. On the first sip you are greeted with an instant hop bitterness on the tongue. This black IPA finishes with a nice roasty coffee / chocolate malt flavour.

My favorite example of this style is Victory Yakima Twilight ( now Yakima Glory ). Stone's Escondidian ( not Cascadian) dark ale is another great example.

Black Raven is not quite as nice as either of the above, but for an up and coming western NC brewery, it is a great local drop.

Most black/dark IPAs are pretty high in alcohol. Black Raven is 7%, which is no slouch but feels a bit low for the style. The nice thing about this is Black Raven does not come across as boozy- you get to enjoy the complexity of flavours without an overpowering alcohol heat or finish.

This one is an important one not to serve too cold as it will blunt the flavours. Black Raven becomes more enjoyable as it warms up.

First DBR Beer Appreciation Night

Ok, seems like devildeac and I are game. Who else in Raleigh/ Durham / Chapel Hill area is up for a beer meetup?

Weekday or weekend? Location?

My selfish proposal would be to converge on Tyler's in Apex on a Monday for pint night. That said there are a lot of good locations throughout the Triangle including Fullsteam, Big Boss, Busy Bee, Raleigh Times and the other three Tyler's ( Durham, Carrboro, Raleigh).

Monday March 12 anyone?

-g

Ok, seems like devildeac and I are game. Who else in Raleigh/ Durham / Chapel Hill area is up for a beer meetup?

My selfish proposal would be to converge on Tyler's in Apex on a Monday for pint night. That said there are a lot of good locations throughout the Triangle including Fullsteam, Big Boss, Busy Bee, Raleigh Times and the other three Tyler's ( Durham, Carrboro, Raleigh).

Monday March 12 anyone?

-g
    Ironic you should propose March 12 as we will be OOT at a meeting, err, skiing in Vail as I look for some hard-to-find Russian River brews in that area that are unavailable here. Following week or two sometime would be great. The Tyler's in Derm has pint night every Wednesday (buy the featured brew, keep the glass). Haven't been to any of the other locations.

-g
    I think this one is from their LoF series, too:

Abbey Grand Cru-New Belgium Brewing

In my 3rd plate appearance of the evening, I sampled this gem and took it deep over the right center field wall for another 4 bagger. This is the "top shelf" version of their long-standing Abbey ale that I have enjoyed for years in Colorado apres ski or back in Raleigh after smuggling in various ski equipment. More malts but not many more hops give this brown, creamy ale wonderful aromas and tastes of ripe bananas and freshly ground cloves which is typical for an abbey or Belgian style brown ale. Dark brown sugar and mild chocolate are other flavors that I perceived in addition to dried, dark fruits. IBU are a bit lower than I would have thought at 20 and the ABV is a hefty 9.5%, perfect for a dessert beer served in a goblet. Once again, this was a 4 ounce sampler sipped with a salad but I'd prefer it alone. I am now 3-3 with one more brew sitting before me to complete a perfect evening at the plate . Here is some background from the brewer:

Before there was New Belgium Brewing, there was Abbey Ale. It was the first beer of home brewer and New Belgium co-founder, Jeff Lebesch. So the love brews deep for Abbey Grand Cru.

To date, Abbey Ale has garnered no less than 16 medals at the Great American Beer Festival 7 of those being Gold. Take that award-winning recipe, precisely increase the hops, malt and fermentation time, and the result is a Grand Cru worth collecting. And that s exactly what many of us at New Belgium, as well as a growing number of fans, have done.

By saving it for a few years, Abbey Grand Cru will continue to improve and age deliciously. Optimal storage is a cool (40-55°), dark place where the bottles can remain undisturbed. But lest we forget, it is a great beer and great beers deserve to be enjoyed. Best served at cellar temperature in a wide-mouthed glass. Toast to the monk s virtue and have a heavenly experience.
    Just the facts Ma'am...
    ABV - 9.5%
    IBU - 20
    Calories - 270
    Hops - Willamette, Target, Liberty
    Malts - Pale, Chocolate, Carapils, C-80, Munich
    OG - 16.2
    TG - 2.6

-g
    From August, 2011.
    Super Cru-New Belgium Brewing

Fourth time at bat Sunday evening and this one went deep over the center field wall for my 4th long ball of the night. This is Fat Tire that has made a visit to Roger Clemens' "gift bag." Double the malt and double the hops of their trademark brew for an IBU of about 30-40 and a base-clearing ABV of 10% ABV. This was also a 4 ounce sample that was a clear, medium brown that tasted like dark toasted biscuits and dried fruits, in addition to dark brown sugar. They added Asian pears (barely perceptible) and a Saison yeast for just a bit of funk. Immensely quaffable and dangerous high gravity brew that would be a fine dessert brew but was a nice beverage to sip with a salad entree also. One of the best beer tasting evenings I have had along with the one around Christmas 2009 with my son and Lavabe when we had a couple aged Samichlauses, Bigfoots (Bigfeet?) and a Bourbon County Stout, IIRC.

I know there are more but this is the extent to which I have tasted them. Most are too spendy at >$10 for a bomber. I think I procured all the ones previously tasted/reviewed for less than that amount. I promise I'll stop now. Really.

Ironic you should propose March 12 as we will be OOT at a meeting, err, skiing in Vail as I look for some hard-to-find Russian River brews in that area that are unavailable here. Following week or two sometime would be great. The Tyler's in Derm has pint night every Wednesday (buy the featured brew, keep the glass). Haven't been to any of the other locations.

Color me jealous, this will be the first year in a while we are not heading to Colorado.
    Let's pick up the idea after you return but I can make most days work with a week or two notice.

-g

Dogfish Head Noble Rot

This brew will challenge every notion you have about wine and beer.
    Noble Rot is 49% grape, 51% malt in composition for fermentable sugars.

Noble Rot pours with a pretty dense head to start that is not long lasting beyond a hint of foam at the top of the glass. It's golden straw color looks similar to a hard cider or a Chardonnay.

The nose is very fruity (apple-y). The bubbles from this very effervescent beer dance on your tongue and the sweetness of it all ends in a slightly tangy, sour finish.

If you like sour beers or saisons, I think you'll like Noble Rot. If you are a wine drinker who enjoys Vino Verde, I think you will like Noble Rot. If you like hard cider, you'll probably like it as well.

This is a versatile beer that I think could be paired with most anything, although I wish I has some nice soft sheep's milk cheese to wash this down. This is a very easy drinking beer in spite of its complexity. The fact that Noble Rot is 9% is well hidden in all the flavour and carbonation, you could easily get yourself in trouble if you had access to this brew in volume.

Dogfish Head brews some of the most innovative beers I've ever tried, and Noble Rot is no exception. I'm glad I bought two bottles and will likely buy more when the opportunity presents itself.

Monday March 12 anyone?

-g
    Color me jealous, this will be the first year in a while we are not heading to Colorado.
    Let's pick up the idea after you return but I can make most days work with a week or two notice.

-g
    I'm in. I didn't know that Tyler's, Apex, had their pint night on Mondays! How nice of them to stagger them on different nights at different locations! A Monday night usually works for me.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This brew will challenge every notion you have about wine and beer.
    Noble Rot is 49% grape, 51% malt in composition for fermentable sugars.

Noble Rot pours with a pretty dense head to start that is not long lasting beyond a hint of foam at the top of the glass. It's golden straw color looks similar to a hard cider or a Chardonnay.

The nose is very fruity (apple-y). The bubbles from this very effervescent beer dance on your tongue and the sweetness of it all ends in a slightly tangy, sour finish.

If you like sour beers or saisons, I think you'll like Noble Rot. If you are a wine drinker who enjoys Vino Verde, I think you will like Noble Rot. If you like hard cider, you'll probably like it as well.

This is a versatile beer that I think could be paired with most anything, although I wish I has some nice soft sheep's milk cheese to wash this down. This is a very easy drinking beer in spite of its complexity. The fact that Noble Rot is 9% is well hidden in all the flavour and carbonation, you could easily get yourself in trouble if you had access to this brew in volume.

Dogfish Head brews some of the most innovative beers I've ever tried, and Noble Rot is no exception. I'm glad I bought two bottles and will likely buy more when the opportunity presents itself.
    What a coincidence you should review a DFH brew. I just happened to taste this one last week:

Miles Davis I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew-DFH Brewing

Oh, my, what a treat this was. Sold as a capped 750 ml bottle, this 18 month old (cellared from fall, 2010) gem was divided over 2 nights. It is a blended beer of 3/4 imperial stout (DFH does not have a classic or standard RIS) and 1/4 honey beer with gesho root ("The Rhamnus prinioides plant has many uses amongst the inhabitants of Africa. All parts of the plant are harvested and used for nutrition, medicine or religious purposes. In Ethiopia, where the plant is known as gesho, it is used in a manner similar to hops: the stems are boiled and the extract mixed with honey to ferment a mead called tej.[2] It is also used in the brewing of tella, an Ethiopian beer."). Fascinating concoction that pours almost black as night but with a little thinner body than your usual RIS due to the blending with the honey beer. The unsweetened dark chocolate flavor is balanced nicely with the honey and I am guessing there may be few hops in the brew as the gesho is used instead. IBU are fairly low at 38 (most RIS are 70-80 or higher) but the ABV is high at 9% but the booziness is minimal. The head is modest and the brew best enjoyed at slightly chilled temperatures by itself or with some decadent chocolate cake or other baked good. Not sure this is brewed anymore as it was a commemorative to the 40th anniversary of the release of his classic album.

124599.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'm in. I didn't know that Tyler's, Apex, had their pint night on Mondays! How nice of them to stagger them on different nights at different locations! A Monday night usually works for me.
    Apex Monday, Carrboro Tuesday, Durham Wednesday, have not seen a posting for Tyler's Raleigh yet.

Given Devildeac will be out of town 3/12 do we want to shoot for Monday 3/26?

-g

What a coincidence you should review a DFH brew. I just happened to taste this one last week:

Miles Davis I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew-DFH Brewing

Oh, my, what a treat this was. Sold as a capped 750 ml bottle, this 18 month old (cellared from fall, 2010) gem was divided over 2 nights. It is a blended beer of 3/4 imperial stout (DFH does not have a classic or standard RIS) and 1/4 honey beer with gesho root ("The Rhamnus prinioides plant has many uses amongst the inhabitants of Africa. All parts of the plant are harvested and used for nutrition, medicine or religious purposes. In Ethiopia, where the plant is known as gesho, it is used in a manner similar to hops: the stems are boiled and the extract mixed with honey to ferment a mead called tej.[2] It is also used in the brewing of tella, an Ethiopian beer."). Fascinating concoction that pours almost black as night but with a little thinner body than your usual RIS due to the blending with the honey beer. The unsweetened dark chocolate flavor is balanced nicely with the honey and I am guessing there may be few hops in the brew as the gesho is used instead. IBU are fairly low at 38 (most RIS are 70-80 or higher) but the ABV is high at 9% but the booziness is minimal. The head is modest and the brew best enjoyed at slightly chilled temperatures by itself or with some decadent chocolate cake or other baked good. Not sure this is brewed anymore as it was a commemorative to the 40th anniversary of the release of his classic album.

124599.jpg
    I have two of the original bottles I've been waiting to crack. I've heard nothing but good things about it. There was a second run that I missed. I like what DFH is doing with their music series, but Hellhound on My Ale was good, not great, and the Pearl Jam 20 was not my cup of tea (pretty sure it was the currants).
    I did check the Dogfish head website and was thrilled to see Saison du BUFF (a collaboration originally done with Stone and Victory) is coming back in a couple weeks!!

I have two of the original bottles I've been waiting to crack. I've heard nothing but good things about it. There was a second run that I missed. I like what DFH is doing with their music series, but Hellhound on My Ale was good, not great, and the Pearl Jam 20 was not my cup of tea (pretty sure it was the currants).
    I did check the Dogfish head website and was thrilled to see Saison du BUFF (a collaboration originally done with Stone and Victory) is coming back in a couple weeks!!
    Got a bottle of Hellhound in my cellar from last fall. Never seen/hear of the Pearl Jam brew. Here's a review of the Saison:

(from bluebear/bluebeer from 6/16/10)

Saison Du Buff--Collaboration between Victory, Stone, and Dogfish head (3 of my favorite brewers). Mine came in a stone bottle though I heard each are brewing separate batches. It's a saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Pours a nice light cloudy yellow. Dry pilsnery taste with hop bitterness and some light yeasty funk. Can't pick up the individual herbs but it has a grassy, herbal taste with some spiciness. Less fruity than other saisons with a very dry finish. A good beer but not as great as I would hope for given the brewers involved. Not my favorite style overall which probably adds some bias. Definitely worth checking out though. 6.8% ABV...

(my review from 9/24/10)

Saison du Buff-DFH

From the brewers' lips/fingers to your ears/eyes:

This beer is collaboration between Dogfish Head, Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA), and Victory Brewing Company (Downington, PA).

The idea for this beer germinated way back in 2003 when the three guys (Sam from Dogfish, Greg from Stone and Bill from Victory) formed the BUFF alliance (Brewers United for Freedom of Flavor) - a noble endeavor with the goal to highlight the passion and camaraderie of the American craft brew movement.

So, BUFF didn't really do anything (beyond talk a lot of talk) until 2010 when the three brewers finally got together to jointly brew at beer at the Stone Brewery. Saison du BUFF will first be brewed at Stone and then replicated at each of the other two breweries - same recipe, same ingredients, three different breweries throughout 2010.

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe. The expected release dates for each brew are as follows:

Stone Brewing Co.- Late April 2010 (release date 5/3/2010, visit Stone Brewery for more information)

My thoughts:

Simon and Garfunkel. This is a saison style ale meaning it's a Belgian farmhouse type ale which is a bit funky, light, fruity (think apples and pears) and slightly cloudy, fizzy and light yellow. The Simon and Garfunkel reference is to the fact that this ale is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme ( ) and has those earthy aromas and also a nose of fir. This is one of the most unique smelling brews I have ever imbibed and is a fabulous summer/fall beverage and would be marvelous with grilled chicken or grouper or light fish with just a hint of lemon or pepper for the marinade/basting. IBU are estimated to be small at about 20 and the ABV is 6.8%. $3/12 ounces at Total Wine and not available as a 4 pack or 6er. Definitely worth a sample.

(from CB&B on 12/6/10)

Saison Du Buff--Dogfish Head...but only sorta.
    I bought this because the ingredients were intriguing...parsley, thyme, sage, and rosemary. But the story behind it is even more intriguing. Three breweries, each brewing the same recipe. Now I've got to find the other 2 (Victory and Stone are the other two.) This is something that is unique in business to craft brewing, the collaboration furthuring the experience of the beer. I doubt we'll see a Budweiser-Coors brew anytime soon.
    The beer itself by the way is excellent, smooth tasting with lots of flavor. Different flavor, very unique. I don't really detect any of the herbs that went into it, but I'm guessing that's because they are slight and in unison...they work really well together. The overall quality is it's smoothness. I could sip on this all day long (as long as it were a weekend!). Very low bitterness, but lots of mild flavor to play on the taste buds. As I stated, I can't pin down any flavor in particular, it's unique. Buy it and try it! Or buy them and try them!

3/26 is not good for me as I have Monday nights tied up until about mid-April. I'll check to see if/when the new Tyler's in Raleigh has their pint night.