Page 136 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 36861261341351361371381461862366361136 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,720 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Insanity (2011)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Even smoother than the March, 2011 tasting. And I still have one bottle left to sample next year . Oak/cask/bourbon barrel aging has made most of the barleywines I have tried so much softer on the palate by giving them vanilla, woody and dark fruity flavors in addition to the whiskey tastes.

Here are my 2011 notes:

Insanity-Weyerbacher Brewing

From the brewer: Insanity is made by aging our perfectly balanced Blithering Idiot Barleywine in oak bourbon casks. This incredible combination creates a mélange of flavors from rich malts, raisons, and dates to oak, vanilla, and bourbon. Insanity will be yours this February!

From my lips: This is the style/manner in which most barleywines should be made. I'll guess an IBU about 70-80 but the ABV is 11.5% for an incredible malty backbone and balance. Quite smooth and luscious and even reminding me of another favorite of mine, Dogfish Head's Immort Ale, with some maple syrup notes. Marketed in 4 packs at about $13 for the grouping. The pour is slightly cloudy and deep reddish-brown, the head is modest and it should be served about 55-60 degrees in a snifter/goblet and sipped after ACCT victories

Attachment 2406
    Thanks for the Yeti notes- nice!
    If you like Insanity, you should do a side by side with Dogfish Head Burton Baton.
    I did this, unfortunately with a young Insanity and an aged Burton Baton, and the difference was striking between an older oak aged beer and a young one.

Independently, I would have said I enjoyed the Insanity. Compared to a one year older Burton Baton, it was sharp, woody and astringent where the Burton Baton was smooth and mellow and more balanced.
    An interesting experiment for sure.

Weyerbacher makes some great beers- their Imperial Pumking is one of my favorites (along with SFH Punkin).

-g

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    If you like Insanity, you should do a side by side with Dogfish Head Burton Baton.
    I did this, unfortunately with a young Insanity and an aged Burton Baton, and the difference was striking between an older oak aged beer and a young one.

Independently, I would have said I enjoyed the Insanity. Compared to a one year older Burton Baton, it was sharp, woody and astringent where the Burton Baton was smooth and mellow and more balanced.

Weyerbacher makes some great beers- their Imperial Pumking is one of my favorites (along with SFH Punkin).

-g
    Interesting side by side. Burton Baton is one of the smoothest beers out there, especially with a little age on it. I like Insanity as well, but as you describe, it's hot and boozy. The bourbon from the barrels really dominates. I've never tried one with more than a year or so of age on it though.

-g
    Great stuff/ideas. I think I have one Insanity left from a January, 2011 purchase and several bottles of Burton Baton "aging" in the "cellar" so I'll have to check and probably plan on that next winter.

Weyerbacher brews are kinda tough to find here in Raleigh and I almost always grab the anniversary or aged brews when I see them.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Great stuff/ideas. I think I have one Insanity left from a January, 2011 purchase and several bottles of Burton Baton "aging" in the "cellar" so I'll have to check and probably plan on that next winter.

Weyerbacher brews are kinda tough to find here in Raleigh and I almost always grab the anniversary or aged brews when I see them.
    You said Raleigh but I am sure you know about Sam's in Durham. There are a couple new bottle shops in Raleigh but I have not been to them, and the Beer Dispensary in Apex is generally flush with Weyerbacher brews.

The new Tyler's in Raleigh is supposed to have a bottle shop, and Bottle Revolution is getting quite a reputation as well.

Anyone tried DFH Noble Rot, Tweason'ale or the Olde Hickory Euriophodes (sp?) imperial pilsner?

You said Raleigh but I am sure you know about Sam's in Durham. There are a couple new bottle shops in Raleigh but I have not been to them, and the Beer Dispensary in Apex is generally flush with Weyerbacher brews.

The new Tyler's in Raleigh is supposed to have a bottle shop, and Bottle Revolution is getting quite a reputation as well.

Anyone tried DFH Noble Rot, Tweason'ale or the Olde Hickory Euriophodes (sp?) imperial pilsner?
    I have a bottle of Noble Rot in the fridge which I hope to crack this weekend. I've seen 4 packs of tweasonale around but having picked one up.

Never seem to get to Sam's when we get to Derm. Have not been to World of Beer nor heard of any other beer shops in Raleigh and never get to Apex. Have not been to the Raleigh Tyler's but they are located next to the old Capital (City?) grocery so a package shop makes sense. (Un)fortunately, Bottle Revolution is 2 blocks from my office and waaaayyyy too tempting on my way home from work everyday. In fact, just about 2 hours ago, I made a stop there and picked up bombers of Old Ruffian and Gemini and I am sipping the latter as I post.

Never heard of the last 3 you mentioned.

Demolition Ale-Goose Island Brewing

Part of a gift pack for Christmas from Lavabe, lovingly delivered by his vivacious wife, ILJ during their visit in December. IIRC, this has been discontinued and that is a bit sad as I first tasted this Belgian style golden ale about 15 years ago during my first (and only) ever attendance at the annual Oregon's Brewers' Festival. I don't think it has changed much over the years as it still pours a slightly hazy yellow-orange with a bouquet of fresh flowers and tastes of crisp pears and apples with a hint of orange citrus. There is a nice array of Belgian lace (aka fizz) that lingers on the glass as you sip. This would be a great appetizer ale with lighter cheeses and crackers or fresh fruit and would also make a nice dinner beverage with lighter fish, other seafood or chicken with mango/pineapple salsa or chutney. Heck, it would make a great dessert liquid, too, with a plate of fruit or a fresh fruit tart or cobbler (no ice cream). IBU at 40 and ABV at 7.2% so I split this 2011 bomber over 2 nights from a snifter. My only objection is that it is a bit "thin" or "light" for a true Belgian golden ale, most of which are 8-9% ABV or a bit higher.

144755.jpg

Gemini-Southern Tier Brewing

What a luscious combination! This is a blend of 50% unfiltered Hoppe and 50% Unearthly and the result is a DIPA with hints of grapefruit, orange (from the wheat malts) and a solid backbone of caramel sweetness balancing the moderate hop bitterness. Pours a slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a thick, foamy head. I'd guess the IBU to be rather high, probably 70-80 range, and the ABV is 10.5% so this hefty bomber was split over two nights. Would make a fine beverage to serve with hot/spicy foods or to sip from a snifter as a nightcap.

70146.jpg + 56403.jpg = 81813.jpg

Battlefield Bock (draft)-Red Oak Brewing

Had a pint of this at carolina Ale House Saturday night at a surprise birthday party for dukediv2011/11/12/13 and I liked the way my son described it best. He said it was a "light dark beer." It is a lager made with darkly roasted malts, likely chocolate and caramel, as there were hints of milk chocolate and dark caramel as I sipped it. It was more flavorful as it warmed, had little hop presence, was dark brown in color and nearly opaque. I'll guess an IBU of 20 and the ABV was 6.8%, pretty typical for a bock. Quality offering from the folks just off I-40 in the Greensboro area.

Went to Sweetwater Brewery's 15th Anniversary this past Saturday. I was really enjoying their Sch-wheat ale.

Shiner Cheer

I found a stray Shiner Cheer in the fridge.
    I discovered this beer last year during a Tyler's pint night and it is becoming one of my holiday favorites. The glassware from Shiner for this beer is pretty cool.
    I'm not a big fan of Shiner Bock, although I can fondly recall a time that I enjoyed it.

Shiner Cheer is pretty unique- it is described as a dark wheat beer (dunkelweizen) brewed with peaches and roasted pecans.

It drinks well as a standalone (although you probably won't want more than one in a sitting) but shines (pardon the pun) as a dessert beer. I am having a hard time suggesting pairing it with a food other than maybe a peach or pecan pie. There is probably a cheese somewhere that might go nicely.

Shiner Cheer pours a nice coppery color. The peach sweetness is very upfront (although not overwhelming) and the finish is all the sharpness of pecan. I think it drinks well enough to appeal to non-beer drinkers as well as those that enjoy a bit more of an off the beaten path beer experience.

Well worth trying if you can find it, I believe the release is usually late October or early November.

On a related note, I will caution anyone who stumbles across Shiner "Ruby Redbird" not to succumb to temptation and buy it unless you really, really like grapefruit and ginger flavored beer. Was worth trying for the experience but I quickly offloaded the remaining five to anyone who wanted it. Not my cup of tea (or mug of beer) at all.

-g

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Went to Sweetwater Brewery's 15th Anniversary this past Saturday. I was really enjoying their Sch-wheat ale.

Sweetwater makes some nice beers, although I have been afraid to try their blueberry beer. I've tried too many blueberry beers to admit and each time I come away with the feeling that blueberry and beer are not a good match.

Sweetwater 420, RoadTrip, MotorBoat are all good. I tried their "Dank Tank Ghoulash" and it was also excellent.

-g

I found a stray Shiner Cheer in the fridge.
    I discovered this beer last year during a Tyler's pint night and it is becoming one of my holiday favorites. The glassware from Shiner for this beer is pretty cool.
    I'm not a big fan of Shiner Bock, although I can fondly recall a time that I enjoyed it.

Shiner Cheer is pretty unique- it is described as a dark wheat beer (dunkelweizen) brewed with peaches and roasted pecans.

It drinks well as a standalone (although you probably won't want more than one in a sitting) but shines (pardon the pun) as a dessert beer. I am having a hard time suggesting pairing it with a food other than maybe a peach or pecan pie. There is probably a cheese somewhere that might go nicely.

Shiner Cheer pours a nice coppery color. The peach sweetness is very upfront (although not overwhelming) and the finish is all the sharpness of pecan. I think it drinks well enough to appeal to non-beer drinkers as well as those that enjoy a bit more of an off the beaten path beer experience.

Well worth trying if you can find it, I believe the release is usually late October or early November.

On a related note, I will caution anyone who stumbles across Shiner "Ruby Redbird" not to succumb to temptation and buy it unless you really, really like grapefruit and ginger flavored beer. Was worth trying for the experience but I quickly offloaded the remaining five to anyone who wanted it. Not my cup of tea (or mug of beer) at all.

-g
    Tasted one of these over the Christmas holiday season. Here are my thoughts (sound a lot like yours):

Holiday Cheer-Spoetzl Brewing

From the great state of Texas, the town of Shiner brings you this dunkelweizen, or dark wheat ale. Ya got yer malted barley and roasted wheat grains to which Texas peaches and roasted pee-cans are added in the brewing process and you arrive at a clear, medium brown ale that has aromas of dark fruits and cooked peaches. Think slightly overdone peach crisp with a nutty-grainy topping. IBU appear low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV tastes low too, as in the 5% range, so you can drink/share one of these with some grilled/BBQ pork or brisket and finish with a Monster like I did tonight. A Christmas gift from daughter and first SIL. A fine choice.

Sweetwater makes some nice beers, although I have been afraid to try their blueberry beer. I've tried too many blueberry beers to admit and each time I come away with the feeling that blueberry and beer are not a good match.

Sweetwater 420, RoadTrip, MotorBoat are all good. I tried their "Dank Tank Ghoulash" and it was also excellent.

-g
    Probably one of my favorite Sweetwater brews:

Imperial Stout-Sweetwater Brewing

This was a winter addition to Tyler's Taproom draft menu so I decided to enjoy a $5 pint of this pre-game on Saturday. I think this used to be called Happy Ending but Sweetwater must have run afoul of some Georgia ABC commissioners with the name so they changed it to something bland and unexciting. Yawn. Nonetheless, it is an almost black brew with a small tan head that has the nose of unsweetened dark chocolate with a hint of coffee. Very roasty and slightly bitter, guessing an IBU of 60 or so which would be typical of a RIS. IBU listed at 9% so I sipped this as it warmed to near room temperature with a carolina Cuban sammich and some non-garlic fries. Not a bad combo but it would be better as a dessert beer with a few chocolate chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I would not hesitate to buy a 4 pack and trade one, taste one and save the others until next year.

(OK, they still call it Happy Ending on their web site but it was not on the menu at Tyler's that way.)

This seasonal “Catch and Release” Imperial Stout is a dry hopped stiffy, leading to an explosive finish at 9% ABV that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.

Their blueberry brew is refreshing under the right circumstances: warm spring or hot summer afternoon after a Power/Gatorade after mowing the lawn or during a cook out. Not meant to sound derogatory either. I like that beer.

Three Philosophers-Ommegang Brewing

A Belgian style quadruple ale (98%) blended with a cherry lambic (2%) makes a delicious combination for a celebratory brew. I enjoyed 1/2 a 12 ounce bottle of this with my son Saturday night as a pre-dinner beverage. It was a rather cold but, with a bit of warming, the dark, fruity flavors of dates and figs blended exquisitely with the bing cherry flavors of the lambic. There are also notes of dark brown sugar and rum which add to the enjoyment of this excellent ale. The pour was a deep ruby brown with a small head. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 with little hop presence and the ABV is a hefty 9.8%. This would also be a fine after dinner or dessert brew and could be served alone or with a plate of dark dried fruits or even with chocolate, making your dessert even more decadent. I have a 750 ml bottle I'll save for a year and celebrate again .

13667.jpg

Monster(2009 version)-Brooklyn Brewing

Just looked at my 2004 and 2005 reviews and this one will fall short of those accolades but not by much. This barleywine style ale is highly drinkable when it is released and continues to become smoother and softer as it ages. Pours a fairly clear reddish-brown with a small head and has aromas of dark (but not chocolate) caramels, light brown sugar and dark dried fruits, mostly cherries. Still resembles a sherry but not quite as much as the older versions. The cloying sweetness balances the typical floral hop bitterness at an estimated IBU of 80 or more and an ABV of 11%. So, let this warm a bit, decant into a snifter and sip for an hour or so for your bedtime brew.

538.jpg

Three Philosophers-Ommegang Brewing
    I'll second the recommendation on this one. Really good, if a little pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I'll second the recommendation on this one. Really good, if a little pricey.
    Agreed, although for this particular bottle, I was particularly lucky. It was $8 for the 12 ounces and I shared it with my son as a bit of a celebration. However, when the check appeared, neither his Dale's Pale Ale nor the Three Philosphers was charged. We notified the server and he waved it off as he was extremely busy, had taken longer than he should have with the final bill, did not feel like re-submitting it and our birthday party of 25 had probably spent $500 or more for the evening. We left him a very generous tip.

I also have a 750 ml bottle I bought for myself for about $25 in December as part of a 3 bottle package which also included a Hennepin and a Gnomegang, along with a special Ommegang snifter/chalice. I thought it was a reasonable deal.

140.jpg

Black Chocolate Stout (07-08 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

This remains one of my favorite brews, made even better with several years of aging. The smooth, silky texture remains and appears richer with cellaring. It pours an opaque black with a 1-2 finger head and the dark chocolate notes blend perfectly with a bit more whiskey-like tastes after 4-5 years in the bottle. I have never really detected any coffee presence in the brew and the heavily roasted bitter notes are perfectly balanced with the 6 grains used in the brewing process. Can't find the IBU anywhere but I'd estimate 70-80 which would be typical for most imperial stouts and the ABV is 10.6% with only mild booziness. I will always think of this exquisite brew as drinking a dark chocolate malted with a generous shot of whiskey. Best served at room temperature for your dessert but a slice of flourless chocolate cake or triple chocolate chip cookies would make nice friends here, too. Or, you could divide your 12 ounce serving and have half with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream and enjoy a beer float and have the other half solo or with a chocolate baked good.

531.jpg

2011 Sierra Nevada Hoptimum

Before I jump back in, I'll third Three Philosophers as an outstanding drop.

Rumor has it Sierra Nevada is bringing back Hoptimum in a 4 pack instead of 22oz bombers.
    I cracked open a 2011 Hoptimum bomber (only one left...).

First, I realize fresh hop beers should be consumed ASAP but I am a sucker for trying to do vertical tastings when I can so sometimes I hold onto things a bit longer than I should.

Hoptimum is a big in your face hoppy IPA / double IPA. It is a high alcohol beer suitable for sharing with like minded friends. This is not a well balanced beer- the nose is all pine, straw and a bit boozy- if you like the smell of hops you will enjoy the nose. In spite of the high hop (100+ IBUs) profile there is a bit of nice clean malt taste up front prior to the hops reaching out and smacking you around a bit. I love a good hop heavy beer and Hoptimum delivers. Bell's Hopslam could be a comparable beer of similar style but Hoptimum has none of the honey sweetness of the Hopslam.

If you like hops and IPAs, Hoptimum is worth drinking. Avery Mataraja is another good strong IPA that is a similar in style. Another home run from Sierra Nevada- quite excited that they are bringing beer and jobs to western NC and hoping New Belgium will follow suit soon.

Devildeac, I'm not sure we have critical local mass but it sounds like we could have some fun at Tyler's or some other local venue as Duke beer drinkers.