Page 134 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 34841241321331341351361441842346341134 ... LastLast
Results 2,661 to 2,680 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hennepin-Ommegang Brewing

Well, technically not, as the front label says "Product of Belgium" and, in small print on the back label, "Brewed and bottled by Duvel Moortgat NV, Puurs, Belgium." I wonder if I never noticed this ages ago of if they changed the bottling of the ale from Cooperstown, NY, to Belgium when Duvel acquired Ommegang several years ago. It matters little as this Saison ale is every bit as pleasant as I remember it from the last time I had one several years ago. It pours a hazy orange-yellow with a lot of Belgian lace (light bodied "foam") into an Ommegang tulip glass with subtle hints of orange peel, ginger and coriander in the nose which are even more perceptible on the palate. Crispness and floral hops are present as are tastes of slightly underripe apples and pears. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range and the ABV is 7.7% so I divided this caged and corked 750 ml bottle over 2 nights. Some nice dinner pairings would be grilled seafood with fruity/spicy salsa or even chicken with similar toppings. I bought this for myself as a Christmas present as it was packaged with Three Philosophers and Gnomegang for about $25 and included the above mentioned Ommegang tulip glass. I think individually, the Hennepin is $7 and the other 2 are $9 each so I figured I basically got the glass for free . Highly recommended.

Attachment 2293
    We toured the Ommegang brewery in the Cooperstown area in the fall of 2010. It was quite enjoyable, and they had some good stuff, especially their BPA.

[QUOTE=luvdahops;543949]

They really don't have a DIPA but the Arrogant Bastard series comes close as do the Ruination and the Self Righteous Ales.

Check out their site:

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/#

QUOTE]

Stone beers are uniformly very good to excellent. The Ruination IPA is phenomenal in my view. I also like the Levitation Ale, which is a mellow (4.4% ABV) but meaty deep amber ale.
    Ruination is excellent. My overall favorite stone brew remains double bastard though their 15th Anniversary Escondian Imperial IPA (Black IPA) is phenomenal. I'm hoping they decide to work it into the regular brewing schedule.

Nemesis (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

From the brewer:

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
    “The 2009 release of Nemesis is best described as a Maple Bourbon barrel aged wheat wine holding 12% abv and 70 ibu’s. The barrels have been resting deep in the mines of Grand Rapids for nearly 9 months and have been most effective in developing a great product. The Bourbon barrels we used in this creation were once used to age Maple syrup from northern Michigan, then emptied, and procured for our use in aging this beer. The combination of American oak, Kentucky Bourbon, Michigan Maple syrup and our golden/tan wheat ale has provided a delicious malty sweet ale distinctive of strong vanilla and bourbon notes.”

My thoughts:

This is a nice variation on a traditional barleywine style ale with the wheat malt lending a bit of citrus flavor to the typical highly hopped and abundantly malted barleywine. It has a slight orange hue and is a bit cloudy from the addition of the wheat. All the flavors above are prominent with the bourbon appearing a bit later in the sip and the maple being more subtle. Vanilla nuances are present from the oak aging and the caramel sweetness balances the moderate bitterness. Yes, I really did save this since finding it at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kentucky in mid 2009, IIRC and it went for about $16 for the 4 pack. Yes, it is worth it. And yes, I am still celebrating everything from last night's escape to the 2010 National Championship to last year's two weddings. And yes, finally, I do have one bottle remaining for a celebration next year .

Attachment 2261
    Yum..this was a great brew. I have one more bottle myself which I've stashed away for a special occasion.

Samichlaus (2004 edition)-Castle Brewery Eggenberg

No typo. I really saved a beer 8 years and it was worth the wait. It was somewhat unintentional as I discovered this rotating/consolidating stock in the cellar, err, garage this week. I did not think I had any prior to 2006 but found this gem and divided it over 2 nights. It is technically a double bock but really most resembles a sherry. Brown sugar and dark caramel sweet with dark cherry and very winey, sherry-like flavors. Tough to believe this is beer as it has little head but remained rather clear over eight years. Best served in a snifter or wine glass at cellar temperature and only as a dessert beer. Sip and savor over an hour or so as the ABV is 14% (no typo here either) and I'd guess the IBU 20-30 as it is technically a lager. I don't think they brewed this in 2005 as the Hurlichman (sp?) sold out to Eggenberg, IIRC, and almost stopped producing this. It is about $18 for a 4 pack and truly one of the better "beers" in the world.

6245.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Old Stock Ale (2009)-North Coast Brewing

Ahh, another year older and another year smoother. I will post this "blind" to my post from last year about the 2011 tasting of this old style ale. I guess the style it most closely resembles is a barleywine with a much softer hop blast. Pours a slightly cloudy brown but not quite as dark as a porter and has a small tan head. This likewise resembled a sherry with a cloying sweetness, much like dark caramel or brown sugar, a bit of mild chocolate and dark cherries with a moderate booziness to it. I'd guess the IBU to be 60-70 and the ABV is 11.5% so I poured it at about 50 degrees in a pint glass for a night cap and sipped for 30-45 minutes. I have one or two remaining and I'll taste them annually.

7178.jpg

History/research note: I have no prior review of the 2009 version. My prior review was of the 2007 edition.

Damnation (2009)-Russian River Brewing

This is the only Russian River brew I believe I have ever tasted. Apparently, not much escapes southern California. I found this caged and corked 750 bottle at a package goods store in Vail while we attended a meeting and skiied almost 3 years ago. Well worth the wait. It is a very fine likeness of a typical Belgian golden ale like Duvel. Pours a cloudy yellow-orange with a very pretty Belgian lace head and aromas of fresh apples and pears. There is a bit of peppery spice on tasting it with the same tastes of fresh fruit as in the bouquet. There must be some wheat malt, too, as a hint of orange is also perceived. I'd guess IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is on the bottle at 7.75% so I divided the bottle over 2 nights. A fruit plate or some soft cheeses and crackers would be pleasant with this as an appetizer or with dessert, perhaps with a fresh fruit tart, too. Another fine benefit of this ale is that I get to give myself another spork by including the label in my post:

Damnation.gif

24.gif4.gif

From March, 2011:

Quad-Weyerbacher Brewing

Another celebratory brew after the hard fought Duke win last PM. I am not sure why this is a quadruple. Could be 4 malts, 4 yeasts, 4 hops or 4 fermentations. Or all of the preceding. The style is really a Belgian dubbel but it is a bit lighter in color (medium-light brown) with a small head and a nose rich with dark, dried fruits like raisins, dates and figs and tastes to match. Most ales of this style have candi sugar and this tastes no different with the presence of light brown sugar and rummy notes, too. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is high for a dubbel (but not for a quad) at a stunning 11.8%, so pull out your snifter, let it the brew warm a few minutes on the counter and enjoy as your dessert. I found this as a 4 pack in Asheville about 6 weeks ago for about $14. Not cheap but well worth the purchase.

From last week:

Quad (2011 version)-Weyerbacher

As advertised, this has become somewhat more complex over a year of aging. The tastes and aromas are similar to my thoughts from 2011 but with richer and darker rummy and brown sugar flavors. No barrel aging (though they have done that in the past with this brew and called it Blasphemy, IIRC) and no additives except the candy (or candi) sugar. Once again, worth the price to have one this year and age the others for a couple or three years.

quad-242x300.jpg

Imperial Stout-Sweetwater Brewing

This was a winter addition to Tyler's Taproom draft menu so I decided to enjoy a $5 pint of this pre-game on Saturday. I think this used to be called Happy Ending but Sweetwater must have run afoul of some Georgia ABC commissioners with the name so they changed it to something bland and unexciting. Yawn. Nonetheless, it is an almost black brew with a small tan head that has the nose of unsweetened dark chocolate with a hint of coffee. Very roasty and slightly bitter, guessing an IBU of 60 or so which would be typical of a RIS. IBU listed at 9% so I sipped this as it warmed to near room temperature with a carolina Cuban sammich and some non-garlic fries. Not a bad combo but it would be better as a dessert beer with a few chocolate chocolate chip cookies, brownies or chocolate pound cake. I would not hesitate to buy a 4 pack and trade one, taste one and save the others until next year.

(OK, they still call it Happy Ending on their web site but it was not on the menu at Tyler's that way.)

"This seasonal “Catch and Release” Imperial Stout is a dry hopped stiffy, leading to an explosive finish at 9% ABV that is guaranteed to put a smile on your face."

HE_-with-bottle_jpm-251x300.jpg

This is the only Russian River brew I believe I have ever tasted.
    Tell me this isn't so! You haven't tried Pliny the Elder?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Tell me this isn't so! You haven't tried Pliny the Elder?

Sadly, this is true. Apparently, RR has a very limited distribution range, not getting many bottles out of California. I don't recall ever seeing any other products of theirs except for Damnation and that was a 750 ml bottle I spotted in Vail almost 3 years ago. I have read great reviews of their ales but just haven't had any other chances to sip one on draft or purchase a bottle here in Raleigh :>(( .

Sexual Chocolate was scheduled for release this past weekend from the Foothills Brewing Company in Winston-Salem. Any sightings/tastings yet?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Sexual Chocolate was scheduled for release this past weekend from the Foothills Brewing Company in Winston-Salem. Any sightings/tastings yet?
    From a friend's reply on Facebook...
    If you didn't get any, you'll have to wait tell next year. Only released once a year. Sold out in Durham in an hour.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    From a friend's reply on Facebook...
    Hoping to find some on draft at Tyler's pre-game on Sunday.

sexualchocolate.jpg

Sexual Chocolate

A cocoa infused Imperial Stout – Opaque black in color with a dark brown head. Big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit.

SRM: 70
    IBU: 85
    ABV: 9.75%

Barleywine (2009 edition)-Schlafly Brewing

This actually has a much longer name and on the bottle is Schlafly Reserve, ale aged on oak chips. I'll just call it delicious and the way all barleywines should be brewed. I sipped this over 2 nights as it was a capped 750 ml bottle that Lavabe delivered in late 2009 during a Christmas visit. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-orange color with a faint nose of bourbon and lots of toffee and dark caramel aromas. The taste is a smooth dark caramel with vanilla from the oak aging and, I'll swear bourbon. I can't find any statement anywhere that the aging vessels are old bourbon casks but the tastes are boozey and whiskey-ish. The IBU are 40 which I find to be a bit low for the style and the ABV is 10.2% and the bourbon notes make it seem a bit higher. I let this warm a bit and sipped over an hour or so as a dessert beer. So, if you can find a 2011 version, buy two and enjoy one now and save a bottle for a year or three.

66897.jpg

Tripel-Schlafly Brewing
    Brewer's notes:

Tripel
    Available year round
    ABV: 10% | IBU: 25

Appearance: Deep yellow, slightly hazy
    Process: Traditional Trappist-style Tripel
    Hops: Marynka, Lublin (PL), Hallertau, Mittelfrüh (DE)
    Malts: 2-row malted barley, Carapils malt, sugar
    Yeast: Belgian Abbey Ale
    OG: 22
    SRM: 8

Our Tripel is golden with a relatively light body compared to its alcohol content. Bottle-conditioning creates an effervescent mouth feel, as well as the distinct Belgian lace prized in Belgian beers. The use of European noble hops creates a mild spicy flavor. Fermented with a traditional, Trappist Belgian yeast strain, this beer has subtle fruity and banana flavors.

While the origin of the word “Tripel” is unknown, there is a theory that it indicates “strength in some way”, as Tripels tend to be high in alcohol and strong in flavor. The term is most associated with Westmalle, a Trappist brewery in Belgium. This term has spread to other Belgian and American breweries to describe a light-colored, strong ale with high alcohol content and Belgian yeast.
    My notes:

I'd love to compare this during a tasting with Duvel, Westmalle, Corsendonk and another tripel or three. I believe it would fare favorably. I think there are some orange notes in the taste, too. This would pair well with fresh fruits and soft cheeses before a meal or after a meal with the same or a fruit tart.

This was a delivery from ArkieDukie during her visitation during a Brunchgate last fall and was brewed in June, 2011, so it was nearly 8 months old. Shame I did not have her bring 2 so I could age the second one for a year or more.

10925.jpg

Bitter American-21st Amendment Brewing

Quite the pale ale here. Pours a clear amber with a modest head and subtle notes of light caramel and toffee and soft floral scents. Most other features are modest with an average IBU of 42 and ABV of 4.4%, which is a bit low for a pale ale. This is a fine session ale that could be enjoyed with sandwiches or grilled fare in spring, summer or fall at a Brunchgate or holiday gathering. This was a trader this week with a drug rep who calls on me in my office every 2 weeks or so.

Great picture on the can:

68817.jpg

Founders' Ale-Newcastle

This is probably best described by the link at the end of my tasting notes. A pale ale in the English style, this sessionable brew pours a clear amber with a small head and has a bouquet and tastes of light caramel and fresh winter flowers. IBU are a bit lower than a standard pale ale at 20 and the ABV is 4.8%. This would be fine for an afternoon or evening of tasting or to accompany sammiches or burgers/sausages off the grill. I received this as a trader this week.

http://beernews.org/2012/01/newcastl...e-makes-debut/

162497.jpg

Founders' Ale-Newcastle

This is probably best described by the link at the end of my tasting notes. A pale ale in the English style, this sessionable brew pours a clear amber with a small head and has a bouquet and tastes of light caramel and fresh winter flowers. IBU are a bit lower than a standard pale ale at 20 and the ABV is 4.8%. This would be fine for an afternoon or evening of tasting or to accompany sammiches or burgers/sausages off the grill. I received this as a trader this week.

http://beernews.org/2012/01/newcastl...e-makes-debut/

162497.jpg
    I'm a big fan of Newcastle, look forward to trying this.

Just picked up a nice Imperial IPA for the Super Bowl -- Majaraja by Avery Brewing Co. Yum yum.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Just picked up a nice Imperial IPA for the Super Bowl -- Majaraja by Avery Brewing Co. Yum yum.
    Here's a review I have from last year:

Maharaja-2011 Edition-Avery Brewing

This is just as much of a hop bomb as prior tastings but still one of the better IIPAs I have tasted. These are bomber only offerings in their Dictator series along with the Kaiser and the Czar. A highly hopped and grapefruity double IPA with some pine and cannabis notes, too. Huge malty presence for a nicely balanced taste. The IBU rolls in a a massive 102 and the ABV is a coma-inducing 10.54%. I had 4 ounces of this Sunday and Monday nights after a couple lighter brews and finished the bomber tonight with a 14 ounce portion. This is great as a night cap or would be fine with dinner with Indian or hot/spicy Asian fare. Part of the CB&B/devildeac trading series earlier this month. I'd buy another bomber of this at about $8 according to CB&B and hide it for a year .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Here's a review I have from last year:

Maharaja-2011 Edition-Avery Brewing

This is just as much of a hop bomb as prior tastings but still one of the better IIPAs I have tasted. These are bomber only offerings in their Dictator series along with the Kaiser and the Czar. A highly hopped and grapefruity double IPA with some pine and cannabis notes, too. Huge malty presence for a nicely balanced taste. The IBU rolls in a a massive 102 and the ABV is a coma-inducing 10.54%. I had 4 ounces of this Sunday and Monday nights after a couple lighter brews and finished the bomber tonight with a 14 ounce portion. This is great as a night cap or would be fine with dinner with Indian or hot/spicy Asian fare. Part of the CB&B/devildeac trading series earlier this month. I'd buy another bomber of this at about $8 according to CB&B and hide it for a year .

And one from this past fall on a draft tasting:

Maharaja (draft)-Avery Brewing

Now this ale Ozzie tasted last PM is bitter. I found this on tap last PM at Tyler's Taproom in Derm prior to CTC and it was $5 for the pint. That's a really good price for a 10.2% ABV IIPA with an IBU of a massive 102. There was a small head on the pour with an intense grapefruity aroma and the Tropicana taste to match. The use of large quantities of caramel, 2 row and victory malts readily balance the bitterness with a bready sweetness. Color was amber-orange and this hop monster paired nicely with the surprisingly mild honey-jalapeno wings Oz and Talklady shared as an apppetizer and my dinner reuben sandwich. This is not for those with faint palates and is modestly superior to the several annual offerings I have enjoyed of this fine ale from the bombers which are an annual member of the Avery Dictator Series.