Page 133 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 33831231311321331341351431832336331133 ... LastLast
Results 2,641 to 2,660 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sweetwater-very good
    Bison-very good
    Sweetwater 420-very good
    Bridgeport-excellent
    Shiner-not a fan (I think other folks like it)
    Delirium-outstanding
    Black Chocolate Stout-which brewery?
    Peg Leg-very good if it is the Clipper City product, o/w IDK
    Stone-excellent
    Brother-very good (Anderson Valley Brewing)
    Victory-very good
    Stone-never had it

I'd keep the assistant AND give her a raise. Or, if you'd rather return to the wine and/or single malts, save the beer and bring it to Derm if you get to a game this season or to a Brunchgate this fall.
    Black Chocolate Stout is Brooklyn Brewery.
    Peg Leg is indeed Clipper City.

Thanks.

Brunchgate, I'll certainly bring something. I'll check with you and DiBD, who of course is the hostess with the mostess.

I like the Stone IPA, and they have some sort of double IPA which is great.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's usually . . . {this space for rent}"

Stay thirsty, my friend. OPK

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Black Chocolate Stout is Brooklyn Brewery.
    Peg Leg is indeed Clipper City.

Thanks.

Brunchgate, I'll certainly bring something. I'll check with you and DiBD, who of course is the hostess with the mostess.

I like the Stone IPA, and they have some sort of double IPA which is great.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's usually . . . {this space for rent}"

Stay thirsty, my friend. OPK
    I thought the Black Chocolate Stout would be the Brooklyn Brewery. That has been one of my favorite brews for about 15 years now.

They really don't have a DIPA but the Arrogant Bastard series comes close as do the Ruination and the Self Righteous Ales.

Check out their site:

http://www.stonebrew.com/ruin/#

This one is pretty amusing:

133941.jpg

Oepn yuor mnid. Use a craobwr if you msut. Snice 1997, Arorgnat Basartd Ale has denemdad taht tyrnianacl micredioty rleax its girp of opprobrium on our ciollectve couniescosnss. Few pessoss the ruiereqd isinght or detph of piversceptve to crdiet the Liuqid Arorgnace for initatgsing the rlveoituon in tsate taht it has. Hevweor, taht’s pfecertly fnie, as our hlurecaen erffots in thirstung the larlegy unlliwing wolrd farorwd rquereis no exrtneal vaditilaon. We ralieze it’s hmaun nautre to bleeive taht pregorss trowads getreanss is one’s own ieda.

The mree fcat taht yuo’re hdoinlg tihs bttloe in yuor hnad ianidctes taht yuo’re pyiang antteiton, wihch ideitammley stes you arpat form the msseas. It aslo mkaes you one Lukcy Basartd. Hewover, lcuk faovrs the blod... and the arorgnat. The trmiraivute of Arorgnat Basartd Ale, OEKAD Arorgnat Basartd Ale and Dbolue Basartd Ale are all in paly in this cvueé de Basartd you now hlod, and wihle it is idneed a Lukcy Basartd, lcuk had ntohing to do wtih it.

Taody, wihle nueomrus iendicrlby dinistcitve chcoies are now alavaible, msot popele sitll fucos tiehr attntieon uopn msas mdiea’s isscenatnly banal ehco cheambr, keenpig thier hdeas frimly buerid in the maross of mecridioty. To beark thurogh tihs cophocany, to gsarp enitghnelnemt anmog the mnid-nmubnig culettr, rerequis itnent. Coinscous itnent. For mnay, this aictve piticipataron in the wolrd is unomfacbtorle. Prerrifeng inasted for oethrs to mkae teihr chcoies for tehm — be it a shioutng pindut or a toelievisn ciommecral — sheeple apccet the cmmoitozdied nrom wioutht thoghut. And to thsoe we say: “Setp asdie, and get the hlel out of our way.”

^ That probably made more sense than it should.

Blame the Paso Robles Red.

Originally Posted by devildeac

Shiner-not a fan (I think other folks like it)
    I had two different Shiner's at Tyler's pint night about two months ago. I think one was an Octoberfest and the other one was ... bock? I liked them both! Nice glasses too!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Nemesis (2009 edition)-Founders Brewing

From the brewer:

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
    “The 2009 release of Nemesis is best described as a Maple Bourbon barrel aged wheat wine holding 12% abv and 70 ibu’s. The barrels have been resting deep in the mines of Grand Rapids for nearly 9 months and have been most effective in developing a great product. The Bourbon barrels we used in this creation were once used to age Maple syrup from northern Michigan, then emptied, and procured for our use in aging this beer. The combination of American oak, Kentucky Bourbon, Michigan Maple syrup and our golden/tan wheat ale has provided a delicious malty sweet ale distinctive of strong vanilla and bourbon notes.”

My thoughts:

This is a nice variation on a traditional barleywine style ale with the wheat malt lending a bit of citrus flavor to the typical highly hopped and abundantly malted barleywine. It has a slight orange hue and is a bit cloudy from the addition of the wheat. All the flavors above are prominent with the bourbon appearing a bit later in the sip and the maple being more subtle. Vanilla nuances are present from the oak aging and the caramel sweetness balances the moderate bitterness. Yes, I really did save this since finding it at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kentucky in mid 2009, IIRC and it went for about $16 for the 4 pack. Yes, it is worth it. And yes, I am still celebrating everything from last night's escape to the 2010 National Championship to last year's two weddings. And yes, finally, I do have one bottle remaining for a celebration next year .

117205.jpg

Barleywine-Duck Rabbit Brewing

Pretty classic rendition here. Dark amber color, modest head and floral bitterness and tons of dark caramel, toffee and dried fruit aromas and flavors. Borders on syrupy. Do not pour this on your pancakes. I'll guess the IBU about 70 (not listed anywhere, in fact, this brew doesn't even make their web site) and the ABV is 11% but minimally boozey. Serve this slightly chilled in a goblet or snifter and sip after dinner for an hour or so.

67542.jpg

Christmas Ale-Goose Island Brewing

Yet another slant on a winter seasonal and a high quality one, too. All the typical characteristics of a brown ale are here with a rich, clear pour, modest head and nutty tastes and aromas. There are hints of creamy milk chocolate, too. Bitterness is modest, guessing about 30 and the ABV is 6.2%. This would be a nice pairing with burgers, ribs or a pork roast. Lavabe sent this 4 pack for holiday enjoyment and I have 3 left and will probably trade 2 and keep the final one for a year and sample it again as they claim it ages well for 5 years. Many thanks.

Goose me.

Christmas_2011_full.jpg

Oak (Chip) Aged Bourbon Stout-CB&B (Home) Brewing

I really enjoy sampling home brews but don't get too many chances (hint) as a group of friends we have stopped several years ago and CB&B has been busing cooking, painting and moving, but he cranked up the fermenting last month and bottled this variation of a stout. He does not own any bourbon barrels (yet ) so he bought some oak chips from his home brew store and let them marinate in some bourbon for a couple weeks or so. I'll let him correct any errors in my memory here . The final product turned out to be a dark brown, slightly opaque pour with a 1-2 finger head that smelled and tasted woody/oaky with unsweetened dark chocolate notes and a faint tastes of bourbon and coffee, though no coffee was used in the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU to be 30-40, so not particularly bitter (not sure what hops he used) and he told me the final ABV was about 6%, so it was not an imperial stout. I poured it into a pint glass and sipped over 30 minutes or so as I allowed it to warm even a bit more after it sat on the counter for 15-20 minutes after removing from my 45 degree garage, err, beer cellar. I guess I'd let the chips soak a bit longer or use a bit more bourbon to impart a bit more of that flavor to the final product, but otherwise would not change a thing. I have a second bottle I will age for 90 days and re-visit at that time. Thank you for sharing.

Devildeac,

Speaking of those bourbon chips:

I picked up a growler of Craggy Brewing (Asheville) Burning Barrel Porter at my local Ingles. It was tres bien! It was advertised as a chili pepper and bourbon woodchip porter. Very nice, smooth and flavorful. It was a bit on the mellow side but I'm not a huge porter fan so I appreciated that.

I had never really heard of soaking bourbon chips with beer until then...it that a pretty common thing to do?

IMG_4488.jpg

This is my Bohemian lager with the recipe from Asheville Brewing Supply. Really good taste. I like this style, and like mine even more than commercial beers-this one has a little more body than others. The beer guy at the supply store said to wait a month after bottling. I couldn't wait that long, and I'm glad I didn't...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    IMG_4488.jpg

This is my Bohemian lager with the recipe from Asheville Brewing Supply. Really good taste. I like this style, and like mine even more than commercial beers-this one has a little more body than others. The beer guy at the supply store said to wait a month after bottling. I couldn't wait that long, and I'm glad I didn't...
    I lived in Canton when I got into brewing...and it was that store and that guy that I depended on. I bought his kits, and for a partial grain brew they are a really good way to go. I don't know if you have done all grain brewing, I'd strongly suggest it and he can help you out. Even when I moved to the beach I would order my supplies from there until I found a shop only 30 minutes away. (Now only 5 minutes. bouncyblue.gif)
    Good to hear DD enjoyed the stout...I'm very happy with it. The use of the oak chips has been pretty common lately as we see more "oaked" brews hit the shelves. It's the happy answer to those of us that don't own our own casks. Next time I'm going to let them soak longer in the fermenter...but I had read that they can really impart themselves strongly so I used an abundance of caution for my first try.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by theAlaskanBear View Post
    Devildeac,

Speaking of those bourbon chips:

I picked up a growler of Craggy Brewing (Asheville) Burning Barrel Porter at my local Ingles. It was tres bien! It was advertised as a chili pepper and bourbon woodchip porter. Very nice, smooth and flavorful. It was a bit on the mellow side but I'm not a huge porter fan so I appreciated that.

I had never really heard of soaking bourbon chips with beer until then...it that a pretty common thing to do?
    I'll let CB&B clarify your question but he told me he bought oak chips and soaked them in bourbon for a week or two and then put them in the fermenter. I don't brew my own so I'll trust him to describe the process more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    IMG_4488.jpg

Lagers/pilsners are harder to brew than ales as the fermenting temperatures have to be so closely regulated which is somewhat surprising for the "lighter" beers.

I have yet to try the all-grain brewing yet. I still feel like I'm getting my feet wet with the whole process-trying out different hops, recipes, etc. All-grain brewing sounds interesting but also a lot more work/time/supplies. I basically still have just the basics right now (I still don't even have a wort chiller...yet) and am enjoying some of the different recipes they have at Asheville Brewing Supply. But next time I go in I'll ask him about all-grain brewing.

Lagers are perfect for us since we keep our house a bit on the cool side in the winter. I'm sure the yeast was quite happy.

Hennepin-Ommegang Brewing

Well, technically not, as the front label says "Product of Belgium" and, in small print on the back label, "Brewed and bottled by Duvel Moortgat NV, Puurs, Belgium." I wonder if I never noticed this ages ago of if they changed the bottling of the ale from Cooperstown, NY, to Belgium when Duvel acquired Ommegang several years ago. It matters little as this Saison ale is every bit as pleasant as I remember it from the last time I had one several years ago. It pours a hazy orange-yellow with a lot of Belgian lace (light bodied "foam") into an Ommegang tulip glass with subtle hints of orange peel, ginger and coriander in the nose which are even more perceptible on the palate. Crispness and floral hops are present as are tastes of slightly underripe apples and pears. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range and the ABV is 7.7% so I divided this caged and corked 750 ml bottle over 2 nights. Some nice dinner pairings would be grilled seafood with fruity/spicy salsa or even chicken with similar toppings. I bought this for myself as a Christmas present as it was packaged with Three Philosophers and Gnomegang for about $25 and included the above mentioned Ommegang tulip glass. I think individually, the Hennepin is $7 and the other 2 are $9 each so I figured I basically got the glass for free . Highly recommended.

8837.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Holy Hazel! This sounds incredible. Anyone interested?

http://www.raleighrarebeertasting.com/the-beers/

Virtual sporks to Ozzie (too soon to spork again) for bringing this to my attention after the game last PM.
    Last edited by devildeac; 01-20-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: forgot to give Ozzie credit for the flyer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Holy Hazel! This sounds incredible. Anyone interested?

http://www.raleighrarebeertasting.com/the-beers/

Virtual sporks to Ozzie (too soon to spork again) for bringing this to my attention after the game last PM.
    Looks pretty awesome. The $65 is pretty steep though..if I'm paying that much I'm planning on crawling out the door.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Looks pretty awesome. The $65 is pretty steep though..if I'm paying that much I'm planning on crawling out the door.
    It is spendy. Regular beer fests are about $40 and I have not attended one of those for a decade or more for that reason. If you sample 10 beers/hour, you can try all 40 if they don't run out. I'd wager they have one ounce pours somehow but that's still a lot of beer, especially the high ABV ones that they will be sampling. I'd bet most are 9% ABV or higher.

Let's see, that works out to less than $2/taste. That will be good for 30-40 posts here, plus discussing each one, assuming I can remember what I tasted and read the notes I take on each brew...

[QUOTE=devildeac;541283]

They really don't have a DIPA but the Arrogant Bastard series comes close as do the Ruination and the Self Righteous Ales.

Check out their site:

QUOTE]

Stone beers are uniformly very good to excellent. The Ruination IPA is phenomenal in my view. I also like the Levitation Ale, which is a mellow (4.4% ABV) but meaty deep amber ale.

[QUOTE=luvdahops;543949]

Check out their site:

QUOTE]

Stone beers are uniformly very good to excellent. The Ruination IPA is phenomenal in my view. I also like the Levitation Ale, which is a mellow (4.4% ABV) but meaty deep amber ale.
    I have the Vertical Epics from 2009, 2010 and 2011 "cellaring" and am waiting until 12/12/12 for the final one before sampling them all. I agree that pretty much all their ales are very good to excellent. The Oaked Bastard is spendy at $15 or more for the 6er but someone gave me a single last year and I was quite pleased.