Page 13 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523631135131013 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I and three friends will be in Durham for 6 or 7 nights that encompass the Tenn. and Carolina women's. Let me know if any of you are going to be in town.
    I live in Raleigh and could easily meet with you folks, though tix to those 2 games may be hard to come by. Bringing any specialty midwest beers with you ?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    I tend to be a hop head. Dog Fish 60 minute is a staple. I was drinking the Stone IPA over Christmas. Yum.

I live in Boston, but am currently in Atlanta. While in Boston, I was liking the Sam Adams Winter Mix 12 pack. Not a big fan of the Cranberry Lambic, but every other beer in there is good. (The Boston Lager is one of them, but the others are not regular production beers.)

Also had the Sam Imperial Pilsner over the holidays. 4 pack - costs about $10 Very hoppy.

Finally, I recommend the following website to the beer lovers in this thread: www.beeradvocate.com
    You want hops, try the Victory Hop Devil-get your pucker ready!(plus, who would not want a brew with a Devil in it )

You want more hops, get the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot barleywine ale when it is released in January. Almost undrinkable at first taste but lay it down for a year or 5 and it smooths out some. Plus, at about 10% ABV, I can only drink one a night, unless I want to sleep on the floor

Some of the Imperial IPA's or double IPA's come to mind with nearly over the top hops. Rogue's(expensive) and Breckenridge's new Brew 417(or is it 471?) come to mind.

Lavabe,

Thanks for the tip re Sweet Georgia Brown. I am in Dunwoody right now. Doubt I will get to Decatur, but will look for the Brown Ale on tap around here.

Fortunately, I live in an area (Boston) where availability of interesting and tasty brews is not a problem.

And DevilDeac, I have had Hop Devil. Lots of it (though not in a while).

The Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner, which I mentioned before, is quite a hop experience.

But even though I love hoppy beers, I am an equal opportunity drinker. Love stouts and porters, too. Belgians are hit and miss with me. For example, I like Brooklyn Local 1 a lot, but went to a Belgian Brew Fest in Boston earlier this year which was a bit overwhelming. Maybe Belgians are not well-suited to such rat-a-tat-tat sampling.

Anyhow, nice to see this beer thread continue to grow. Other than basketball, beer is one of my biggest non-family passions.

Slim

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Breckenridge's new Brew 417(or is it 471?) come to mind.

It's 471- the address of the actual microbrewery in Denver is 471 Kalamath.

Wink When in Dunwoody...

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Lavabe,

Thanks for the tip re Sweet Georgia Brown. I am in Dunwoody right now. Doubt I will get to Decatur, but will look for the Brown Ale on tap around here.

Fortunately, I live in an area (Boston) where availability of interesting and tasty brews is not a problem.

And DevilDeac, I have had Hop Devil. Lots of it (though not in a while).

The Samuel Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner, which I mentioned before, is quite a hop experience.

But even though I love hoppy beers, I am an equal opportunity drinker. Love stouts and porters, too. Belgians are hit and miss with me. For example, I like Brooklyn Local 1 a lot, but went to a Belgian Brew Fest in Boston earlier this year which was a bit overwhelming. Maybe Belgians are not well-suited to such rat-a-tat-tat sampling.

Anyhow, nice to see this beer thread continue to grow. Other than basketball, beer is one of my biggest non-family passions.

Slim
    Plenty of pubs to choose from. Among the big beer selection chains, Taco Mac used to be a chain in Atlanta, but has scaled back, or changed ownership in different locations.

If you're into microbrews and big selections of brews:
    1) There's a microbrewery, 5 Seasons, in the Sandy Springs' Prado complex behind Frankie's SportsBar. That's fairly close to Dunwoody, but traffic-wise may be difficult to reach. Mighty tasty. Expensive food. You might try to find the one in Alpharetta.

2) Personally, I'd just get on the southbound MARTA from one of three close stations, get off at the Five Points Station, get on the eastbound line, get off at Decatur, and walk towards the court house square (1 block walk) to get to the BrickStorePub. Should take an hour to get there from Dunwoody or SandySprings MARTA station.

Happy hunting! Regardless, post what you wind up sampling!

Cheers,
    Lavabe

It's already been discussed on this board, but I finally got myself a growler of New Belgium's Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale for this year. It's pretty straightforward, but if you haven't had it, don't expect to be overwhelmed by raspberry. It's enough to to satisfy, but certainly a subtle flavor, which I appreciate. I also cracked open a bottle of Avery' Sameals Oak Aged Ale last week (split a 12 ozer with my dad, and it's more than enough) and was again reminded why Avery is one of the premier craft breweries in Colorado. Such a great beer and if you can get your hands on some next spring (mine were left overs at the brewery in Boulder that I snagged in November) stock your fridge. It's well worth the price.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    It's already been discussed on this board, but I finally got myself a growler of New Belgium's Frambozen Raspberry Brown Ale for this year. It's pretty straightforward, but if you haven't had it, don't expect to be overwhelmed by raspberry. It's enough to to satisfy, but certainly a subtle flavor, which I appreciate. I also cracked open a bottle of Avery' Sameals Oak Aged Ale last week (split a 12 ozer with my dad, and it's more than enough) and was again reminded why Avery is one of the premier craft breweries in Colorado. Such a great beer and if you can get your hands on some next spring (mine were left overs at the brewery in Boulder that I snagged in November) stock your fridge. It's well worth the price.
    send some frambozen down south to NC!

Agreed on the Samael's Ale. I think it is about $6-7 for a 12 ounce bottle at Whole Food's here in Raleigh but like a fine after dinner sherry or port. A fine, rich, sipping ale and at 14-15% ABV, a 1/2 bottle is about all one needs to finish off the evening.

My son and I just split a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and an Old Coast Rasputin Imperial Stout, 2 other fine dessert beers.

send some frambozen down south to NC!

Agreed on the Samael's Ale. I think it is about $6-7 for a 12 ounce bottle at Whole Food's here in Raleigh but like a fine after dinner sherry or port. A fine, rich, sipping ale and at 14-15% ABV, a 1/2 bottle is about all one needs to finish off the evening.

My son and I just split a Breckenridge Vanilla Porter and an Old Coast Rasputin Imperial Stout, 2 other fine dessert beers.
    I can't imagine New Belgium won't have distributors in the east within the next few years. Everyone knows about Fat Tire, but their other beers are becoming popular enough to warrant an expansion. Any idea why this hasn't happened yet? If I recall, they don't go east of Oklahoma.

As for Sameals, viewing it like a port is spot on. Brown sugar and cloves really come through, and my father, who is in the wine industry, made the comment that it would be a perfect replacement for port. He also noted--and I found this interesting--that it was a complex enough flavor to plan an entire menu around the beer. Next time I'll bring enough home for him to do that.

I've actually never had the Breck Vanilla Porter, which is a shame. I guess I have to buy some this weekend.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    I can't imagine New Belgium won't have distributors in the east within the next few years. Everyone knows about Fat Tire, but their other beers are becoming popular enough to warrant an expansion. Any idea why this hasn't happened yet? If I recall, they don't go east of Oklahoma.

As for Sameals, viewing it like a port is spot on. Brown sugar and cloves really come through, and my father, who is in the wine industry, made the comment that it would be a perfect replacement for port. He also noted--and I found this interesting--that it was a complex enough flavor to plan an entire menu around the beer. Next time I'll bring enough home for him to do that.

I've actually never had the Breck Vanilla Porter, which is a shame. I guess I have to buy some this weekend.
    I have no idea why they do not distribute farther east unless it is because the beer is unpasteurized and might spoil. Throaty(bless him again) and Lavabe(bless him, too) found it in St. Louis last month and imported some to NC.

Enjoy your Vanilla Porter. Pick up a 6er of the Breck 471 also. You will enjoy it for the hops, the floral aroma and taste and the 9% ABV kick at the end.

ymmm, beer

HOPPY New Year. On the other boards, it would be Happy New Year, of course, but here, the only proper greeting would be as above.

Our New Year's Eve beer bash, er excuse me, fish fry was a success. Somewhat blurry now, I will give an overview. the Arrogant Bastard was not well received by the group--The consensus was that it was too bitter--this from a crowd that favors dark beer. The Bell's wheat was well received. A surprise (to me) favorite was a caramel porter. Two Austrian beers were also met with good reviews. The Sam Adams Cherry met with mixed reviews. When I find the brand names of the caramel and Austrians I will post them. I should have taken notes (who am I kidding). No sense reporting on the super market beers. BTW, the fish were great.

ymmm, beer

Our New Year's Eve beer bash, er excuse me, fish fry was a success. Somewhat blurry now, I will give an overview. the Arrogant Bastard was not well received by the group--The consensus was that it was too bitter--this from a crowd that favors dark beer. The Bell's wheat was well received. A surprise (to me) favorite was a caramel porter. Two Austrian beers were also met with good reviews. The Sam Adams Cherry met with mixed reviews. When I find the brand names of the caramel and Austrians I will post them. I should have taken notes (who am I kidding). No sense reporting on the super market beers. BTW, the fish were great.
    We have been waiting thirstily for your report.

Not too surprising about the Bastard-it can be a brutal ale to drink.

Bell's wheat I would probably enjoy more during the summer, but nonetheless a good wheat beer.

PLEASE find out the name of the caramel porter-the thought of a smooth caramel taste on top of the typical chocolatey taste of a porter sound really good.

No surprise about the Sam Cherry Wheat-I thought it tasted like Robitussin years ago.

Might one of the Austrians have been the legendary Samiclaus?

Fish, we don't need to hear about no stinkin' fish

Thanks for the update and looking forward to hearing more.

Wink Two exceptions to the NO STINKIN' FISH reference

Fish, we don't need to hear about no stinkin' fish
    One of the best bitters I ever had was in Chester, England, on draught (house bitters) with an order of fish 'n' chips (w/salt & malt vinegar). The bitters went VERY well with the fish.

Anchorage's Alaskan Brew Company Restaurant/Brewery sampler paired VERY well with their grilled salmon.

Having said that, given my response in the Longest Thread, I agree with your thoughts on excluding most fishy references in this beer thread ... except if it happens to be DOGFISHHEAD.

Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    One of the best bitters I ever had was in Chester, England, on draught (house bitters) with an order of fish 'n' chips (w/salt & malt vinegar). The bitters went VERY well with the fish.

Anchorage's Alaskan Brew Company Restaurant/Brewery sampler paired VERY well with their grilled salmon.

Having said that, given my response in the Longest Thread, I agree with your thoughts on excluding most fishy references in this beer thread ... except if it happens to be DOGFISHHEAD.

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I was actually referring to Ohioguy's New Year's Eve beer party/tasting, err, fish fry where it sounds like a bunch of his friends gather under the guise of a fish fry, but are REALLY there to consume large quantities of fine, hand-crafted malted beverages and then attempt to remember their tastings the next day and provide a review for the rest of us beer snobs .

BTW, WRT fishy references, you forgot the Flying Fish Brewing Company from south Jersey in your short list(if indeed they are still in business, they have brewed a nice Belgian double/dupple in the past).

O.K.--fish references kept to a minimum--but I must agree, as someone who has spent a lot of time in Alaska during '06-'07, the beer brewed there goes well with the salmon.

I will be without a computer for the next few days--after I return I will find out the name of the caramel porter and the Austrians that we sampled. Since there were seven of us, each who brought at least a six pack or more, remembering details beyond "good stuff" and "not too good" is a challenge. I shall, however, overcome that problem by visiting my friends and asking if they remember what they brought.

Austrians=Gosser (regular and Dark)

Carmel Porter=Saranac -- seemingly available only in the spring. Did not realize there was a "caramel season".

I am driving through Pa. and NY to Boston tomorrow--a couple of days in Boston--wonder if Sam's gives tours?? They must--but Sunday is my only free day.

Have a good start to the New Year.

ymm,beer

Austrians=Gosser (regular and Dark)

Carmel Porter=Saranac -- seemingly available only in the spring. Did not realize there was a "caramel season".

I am driving through Pa. and NY to Boston tomorrow--a couple of days in Boston--wonder if Sam's gives tours?? They must--but Sunday is my only free day.

Have a good start to the New Year.
    Saranac Caramel Porter-I could not dredge that name out of my memory banks but I knew it sounded familiar. I remember it fondly from several years ago as having a toffee/butterscotch/caramel flavor(duh) with a hint of chocolate from the porter. I would have thought the 'seasonal' would be a winter beer as porters and stouts usually are and not referring to the caramel part of the beverage. You're right, we can buy caramel any time of year .
    I generally don't like the Saranac products that much but found some Imperial IPA a month or so ago and really enjoyed it for its hoppiness, a bit of floral aroma and taste and high ABV at 8.8%

Never heard of either Austrian product. How were they?

This won't be of much help to anyone unless you are headed to South Lake Tahoe, but over the holidays I stopped in at the Brewery at Lake Tahoe, which is about a mile south of Stateline. One of their seasonal brews was a nut brown ale, and it was the best tasting brown ale I have had the pleasure of imbibing. Two pints was a perfect way to cap off a day on the slopes.

The Gosser Dark had a very good malt flavor--the "regular" was easy to drink, but nothing special.

Lavabe,

Unfortunately, I never made it to Sweetwater. I did, however, pick up three six packs at the store to sample. (And no, I did not drink all 18 by myself. )

The 420 Extra Pale Ale was okay. Not very hoppy. Nothing to write home about, but a solid EPA.

Sweet Georgia Brown was tasty, and liked by all who tried it. Nice flavor; not too sweet. Would like to try this on tap, as you suggested.

The final beer I tried was the Hummer, which is a Belgian White. Not really a mid-winter brew, but I wanted variety. Floral and citrusy/fruity. I would buy this again in the summer, but would not be a regular purchase for me.

Slim