Page 128 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 28781181261271281291301381782286281128 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

For you beer lovers in NC:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/11/...ylink=misearch

I like this part in particular:

"State Rep. Tim Moffitt, an Asheville Republican, said the change would help attract the Colorado-based New Belgium and the California-based Sierra Nevada to open East Coast production facilities, potentially creating about 275 jobs and more than $200 million in capital investments.

New Belgium is looking to open a facility in Asheville and Sierra Nevada is eyeing property in Hendersonville, officials said."

Belgian Style Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

Yet another twist on the Yeti brew, this one remains an imperial stout but is brewed with a Belgian yeast that imparts a bit of dark fruitiness and sourness to the usual flavors you would expect from a typical RIS and they are dark chocolate and espresso. The other Yeti are about 70 IBU and this one is about the same and carries an ABV of 9.5%. I split this $8 bomber over 2 nights and recommend it highly for dessert buy itself or with the usual chocolate suspects, too.

141247.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Belgian Style Yeti-Great Divide Brewing

Yet another twist on the Yeti brew, this one remains an imperial stout but is brewed with a Belgian yeast that imparts a bit of dark fruitiness and sourness to the usual flavors you would expect from a typical RIS and they are dark chocolate and espresso. The other Yeti are about 70 IBU and this one is about the same and carries an ABV of 9.5%. I split this $8 bomber over 2 nights and recommend it highly for dessert buy itself or with the usual chocolate suspects, too.

141247.jpg
    I enjoyed this beer a lot too. I have been making the rounds on the American Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are using Belgian Yeast. Some have been somewhat disappointing (the New Belgium Belgo), but the Stone and Great Divide entries are really good. Clown Shoes, a new brewery out of MA, I believe, does a bunch of variations too. They are a little over the top, but good.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I enjoyed this beer a lot too. I have been making the rounds on the American Imperial Stouts and IPAs that are using Belgian Yeast. Some have been somewhat disappointing (the New Belgium Belgo), but the Stone and Great Divide entries are really good. Clown Shoes, a new brewery out of MA, I believe, does a bunch of variations too. They are a little over the top, but good.
    I actually liked the uniqueness of the Belgo but have a beer buddy who probably feels the same way you do about it. My favorite Yeti is probably the Chocolate Oak Aged one, even with the dash of cayenne pepper in it. I'll try to unearth a couple reviews of that brew from early this year or late last year as I think I have had it on draft and from the bomber. The Espresso Oak Aged Yeti is a close second to the chocolate one as I'd rather have a Ghiradelli dark chocolate square or three instead of a 12 ounce Starbucks :-)) .

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I enjoyed a SA chocolate bock over Thanksgiving. They make a fine brew.
    I definitely need to try this one. I've been loving the SA Double Bock.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    I definitely need to try this one. I've been loving the SA Double Bock.
    They are quite different brews. I think the SA Double/Imperial Bock is one of the better ones on the market and I have had several of the German offerings. The Chocolate Bock is a "single" bock and about 5% ABV, IIRC. It is also brewed with chocolate/cocoa and has a very pleasant taste.

I actually liked the uniqueness of the Belgo but have a beer buddy who probably feels the same way you do about it. My favorite Yeti is probably the Chocolate Oak Aged one, even with the dash of cayenne pepper in it. I'll try to unearth a couple reviews of that brew from early this year or late last year as I think I have had it on draft and from the bomber. The Espresso Oak Aged Yeti is a close second to the chocolate one as I'd rather have a Ghiradelli dark chocolate square or three instead of a 12 ounce Starbucks :-)) .
    Well, this AM so far, I have had both. That is, I have nibbled on a chocolate square and sipped a generous sized mug of coffee. No AM imperial stouts for me. Unless you are attending our Brunchgate tent ;>)) .

I had the Belgo after having the Stone Cali-Belgique, Green Flash's Le Freak and Raging B**ch by Flying Dog, and I just felt it a bit lacking. It may be a lot more accessible, and it is definitely less aggressive, which can be a good thing.

I liked the Great Divide Yeti version but I did not like the Stone Belgo RIS. The regular Stone RIS is a favorite so maybe I'm a little too biased but the anise was a bit overwhelming. Clown Shoes makes some really good beer. They've been in trouble a bit for their naming and labels but they are tasty..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I liked the Great Divide Yeti version but I did not like the Stone Belgo RIS. The regular Stone RIS is a favorite so maybe I'm a little too biased but the anise was a bit overwhelming. Clown Shoes makes some really good beer. They've been in trouble a bit for their naming and labels but they are tasty..
    C'mon, who doesn't want their Belgian IPA to be called "Tramp Stamp,"

Then put that on sterioids, and make it a tripel called "Muffin Top"?

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I get you on the Stone Belgo-RIS, but I love black licorice, so I liked it a lot. It is definitely not subtle, and the regular Stone RIS is much, much better with it's natural hint of anise.

I had the Belgo after having the Stone Cali-Belgique, Green Flash's Le Freak and Raging B**ch by Flying Dog, and I just felt it a bit lacking. It may be a lot more accessible, and it is definitely less aggressive, which can be a good thing.
    More later. I had a post ready to go comparing the ABV and IBU of the brews you mentioned and my laptop drank it. Now I have to detox it, finish work for the day and re-post later.

More later. I had a post ready to go comparing the ABV and IBU of the brews you mentioned and my laptop drank it. Now I have to detox it, finish work for the day and re-post later.
    Did a little research and came up with the following:

Raging I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.-8.3% ABV/60 IBU
    Belgo 7% ABV/60 IBU
    Le Freak 9.2% ABV/101 IBU
    Cali 6.9% ABV/77 IBU

So, I can understand now why the Belgo would be a bit lacking when looking at the other three. Le Freak is really a "merge" or blend of 2 styles, a Belgian tripel and and an imperial IPA or IIPA. Those IBU are really high but well balanced by the massive amount of grain needed to get the ABV up that high, typical for a tripel or an IIPA. I'll see if I can find a review of that I did probably a year or more ago. My recall is that I found it to be an excellent brew and quite unique. The Cali and Belgo are probably a close comparison. I am not sure I could tell the difference in bitterness from an IBU of 60 vs 77. Nor am I sure I could differentiate the 7% vs 8.3% ABV of the Belgo vs the RB. I have seen the Cali but not sure I have ever tasted it.

Here's a three-way CB&B, bluebeer (aka bluebear here) and I had almost 18 months ago. I gotta admit, I'm not sure I contributed much to the discussion but remember liking the brew for the Belgian influence on an American IPA.

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

devildeac wrote:

bluebeer wrote:Flying Dog Raging I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this...Belgian IPA. Pours a nice amber though fairly thin looking for 8.3% ABV. Strong bitter hops up front with both pine and grapefruit. Decent malt balance that gives way to a yeasty and slightly funky finish. Really well done for this style with just the right blend of hops and yeast. Dangerously drinkable as its fairly light bodied with almost no hint of alcohol.

I have seen that but haven't pulled trigger but your review inspires me to look for a 4 pack or 6er of that and share with CB&B, my drug rep trader and my son early next month. Thanks! =p~

I bought a 6 pack once. Once. I don't know why, but it was just not one that I enjoyed as much as I hoped, given the brewer and the name of the beer. I'll be looking forward to DD's review, just to see which side of the tree he barks on.

Woof .

I think both you beer nuts have valid thoughts about this brew. I wonder whether the yeast makes the difference with this brew as it is just enough different than your typical IPA to be a bit musty/funky. I am not that big a Flying Dog fan but certainly glad I got the 6er of this last week as CB&B got 1 and I kept 5, drinking one last PM and using the other 4 as gifts/traders in the near future.

From a bottle I had almost 2 years ago. I really enjoyed this brew.

Le Freak-Green Flash Brewing-What a complex brew. I split the bomber over 2 nights and had pretty much the same thoughts each night. This is a hybrid, blending American IIPA and Belgian Triple styles. What I tasted was the mild pink grapefruit hoppiness of the IIPA as expected with the estery taste of bananas and zest of orange from the triple. This is a bottle-conditioned ale and pours a cloudy yellow-orange with some of the fizz of the triple and the foaminess of the IIPA. It is fairly well-balanced with the malts giving it a some light brown rum characteristics and an ABV of 9.2% and the IBU is somewhat higher than I would have guessed. They are 101 which makes it higher than Bigfoot. I'm not sure which entree I would match with this as I tasted it with a crisp Granny Smith apple one night and enjoyed it by itself the next night. I've got another bomber and this one will be shared this fall at a Brunchgate .

One of my all-time favorite imperial stouts:

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (2010-11 edition)-Brooklyn Brewing

Still one of my favorite beers, 15 years after first sampling it at a beer festival at the Omni (I think), which is now the Marriott I think, in downtown Derm. Black, oily and silky smooth with a small tan head, this brew still reminds me of a dark chocolate malted with a stiff shot of whiskey or two. I have always sipped this over an hour at cellar temperature and tonight is no different. I'll guess the IBU at 70 and the ABV is 10%. There is no chocolate, coffee or oatmeal in the brew as best I can tell so all the flavors come from heavily roasted chocolate and black malts. Ideal by itself, it also makes a fine beverage with any chocolate (single, double or triple) dessert or save 1/2 a bottle to make a beer float with a scoop or two of Breyer's pure vanilla ice cream. I think the year of aging has made it a bit smoother but it is dangerously drinkable when purchased. I'll let you know again next week as the 2011-12 product has arrived and I bought a 4 pack for about $8 a couple days ago. I'll also report back on some older vintages over the next couple weeks. Stellar.

531.jpg

This is last year's version. I had a bottle of the 2011-12 version this week and it continues to be every bit as good.

A review from nearly 2 years ago of the Oak Aged Yeti on draft at Tyler's Taproom prior to a Duke MBB game:

Oak Aged Yeti Imperial Stout-Great Divide-This was my dessert after the pulled pork, slaw and fries which were washed down with the Magic Hat Howl. What a complex beer! Served too cold in about an 8 ounce snifter-type glass, I let it warm for about 15 minutes and then sipped this onyx elixir. Small, tan head and many different flavors of molasses, dark dried fruits and bittersweet chocolate and expresso. I'd guess the IBU to be about 70. It is not for the faint of tongue or palate. It even tasted a bit peppery. ABV was a massive 9.5% and this gave it a more than a bit of booziness. The oak aging imparts a bit of smoothness, vanilla and woody character to the taste, too. I'd love to sample their chocolate and expresso imperial stouts. Ozzie didn't like this too much but I found it to be a fascinating beverage. I am also glad they did not have Hibernation Ale as I prolly woulda tried that, too :ymblushing: .

So no one misses it on a shelf at your favorite package goods store:

37652.jpg

I get you on the Stone Belgo-RIS, but I love black licorice, so I liked it a lot. It is definitely not subtle, and the regular Stone RIS is much, much better with it's natural hint of anise.
    If you like black licorice, you should find a 750 ml bottle of this and divide it with friends or savor it yourself over a couple nights. CB&B brought a bottle to one of our fall tailgate/Brunchgates and folks either hated it 'cuz of the licorice or loved it for its uniqueness.

Labyrinth Black Ale-Uinta Brewing

My 2nd place beer of the day, edging out the Raspberry Coffee Stout by a few % ABV. This is not a black ale. It is clearly an imperial stout as it was almost black with very little head and was also almost oily in appearance (My wife guessed 5W20 ) ). Strong nose of espresso and dark chocolate with tastes of the same plus black molasses, black licorice (made with licorice sticks), vanilla, oak and a hint of whiskey. This is aged in oak barrels according to the bottle and another source said bourbon barrels but I detected very little whiskey/bourbon taste but it was rather boozey at 13.2% ABV. I'll guess the IBU were 70-80 but little hop character here. There are all the typical tastes and smells of a heavyweight imperial stout. I downgraded it a bit due to the licorice presence but respect the variety of brewing techniques and additives incorporated into this concoction. Utah beer really sucked for years due to the 3.2 and 6.0 laws but this brewery has stepped way outside the old habits and I'd certainly try some of their other products. Taste it with any thing that has chocolate as its first 2 or 3 ingredients or by itself slightly chilled and in small quantities.

123626.jpg

If you like black licorice, you should find a 750 ml bottle of this and divide it with friends or savor it yourself over a couple nights. CB&B brought a bottle to one of our fall tailgate/Brunchgates and folks either hated it 'cuz of the licorice or loved it for its uniqueness.

Labyrinth Black Ale-Uinta Brewing

My 2nd place beer of the day, edging out the Raspberry Coffee Stout by a few % ABV. This is not a black ale. It is clearly an imperial stout as it was almost black with very little head and was also almost oily in appearance (My wife guessed 5W20 ) ). Strong nose of espresso and dark chocolate with tastes of the same plus black molasses, black licorice (made with licorice sticks), vanilla, oak and a hint of whiskey. This is aged in oak barrels according to the bottle and another source said bourbon barrels but I detected very little whiskey/bourbon taste but it was rather boozey at 13.2% ABV. I'll guess the IBU were 70-80 but little hop character here. There are all the typical tastes and smells of a heavyweight imperial stout. I downgraded it a bit due to the licorice presence but respect the variety of brewing techniques and additives incorporated into this concoction. Utah beer really sucked for years due to the 3.2 and 6.0 laws but this brewery has stepped way outside the old habits and I'd certainly try some of their other products. Taste it with any thing that has chocolate as its first 2 or 3 ingredients or by itself slightly chilled and in small quantities.

123626.jpg
    Seems like this was a record breaking post for you, devildeac. Sort of like 904 was. But you better keep posting because the guy with "903" ain't retired like Knight...
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Seems like this was a record breaking post for you, devildeac. Sort of like 904 was. But you better keep posting because the guy with "903" ain't retired like Knight...
    You're right, Oz. That was 5 posts in a row, all of 'em much bigger than

usual. He's also getting pretty darn close to 8,000 posts. He's rac'n with

Jas'n, but Jas'n composes longer posts. I have learned, however, that

devildeac has compiled a huge file, somewhat like throaty's, except he

has everything in it tied to a function key on his keyboard. He can reply
    to, or start any subject in under one second.