Page 124 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 24741141221231241251261341742246241124 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,480 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    My wife and I are renting a house in Maine this summer. I tried a Bar Harbor Blueberry and a Sea Dog Blueberry to prepare myself for the trip. Neither was something to make me want to leave early for Bar Harbor. One was bland, the other (Sea Dog) was okay, but not great. Not a yech, but not memorable. I needed a Great Lakes brew to get back to the Ymm thread mentality -- anyone have any suggestions of local Maine products??
    Allagash is out of portland and has some very good beers, especially their belgian offerings..

Gritty McDuffs is I think out of freeport. I've only had a few of their beers which were decent but nothing special..easy to find in Maine

Smuttynose in nearby NH has some good beer

Where in Maine are you going to be? If southern Maine, you should definitely make the trip across the border to Portsmouth which has both Smuttynose and Portsmouth Brewing Company (I think they are the same company). PBC is a fun place to visit with some really good beer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Allagash is out of portland and has some very good beers, especially their belgian offerings..

Gritty McDuffs is I think out of freeport. I've only had a few of their beers which were decent but nothing special..easy to find in Maine

Smuttynose in nearby NH has some good beer

Where in Maine are you going to be? If southern Maine, you should definitely make the trip across the border to Portsmouth which has both Smuttynose and Portsmouth Brewing Company (I think they are the same company). PBC is a fun place to visit with some really good beer.
    The Allagash is something I will certainly try. We are staying near Bar Harbor, but when the family disperses my wife and I are spending more time in the area so a few brewery visits may be in order. My son and my son in law are each beer drinkers who favor things other than BMC stuff--the evenings should be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Keep tasting and trying new products-that's part of the fun when learning about beers.
    I've been doing just that! Recently tried Natty Greene's Old Town Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9792/19182). Good but not amazing, kinda thin for a brown ale with a pronounced chocolate finish. A steal at 6.99 for a sixer though.

A friend came by tonight with some supplies for a small, impromptu tasting session. We had Wells Banana Bread Beer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/5488), Young's Double Chocolate Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/73), and Arrogant Bastard (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92). Arrogant Bastard is a real heavy hitter, wow. The Banana Bread was so-so, and I really loved the Chocolate Stout.

Now...on to this mixed 12-pack of Brooklyn Brewery offerings! Not tonight though...LOL.

Tröegs Nugget Nectar Ale

I tried a (couple of) Tröegs Nugget Nectars on draft at the County Grille. Excellent beer! It's an Imperial American Amber Ale with tons of hops and hop flavor and aroma. The ABV is 7.5% and, according to Tröegs, the IBU's are around 93, but it doesn't taste like it. It's very smooth and relatively light - a good session beer except for the 7.5% ABV.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley2Hill View Post
    I've been doing just that! Recently tried Natty Greene's Old Town Brown Ale (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9792/19182). Good but not amazing, kinda thin for a brown ale with a pronounced chocolate finish. A steal at 6.99 for a sixer though.

A friend came by tonight with some supplies for a small, impromptu tasting session. We had Wells Banana Bread Beer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/5488), Young's Double Chocolate Stout (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/664/73), and Arrogant Bastard (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/147/92). Arrogant Bastard is a real heavy hitter, wow. The Banana Bread was so-so, and I really loved the Chocolate Stout.

Now...on to this mixed 12-pack of Brooklyn Brewery offerings! Not tonight though...LOL.
    If you think the Arrogant Bastard is a heavy hitter (which it is), you should try the Double Bastard. Worth picking up if you see it...

Beer list for the upcoming American Craft Beer Fest in Boston on June 19-20.

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer

Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    Beer list for the upcoming American Craft Beer Fest in Boston on June 19-20.

http://beeradvocate.com/acbf/beer

Yum.
    What a great list..I'm hoping to leverage father's day to partake...

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    What a great list..I'm hoping to leverage father's day to partake...
    I think a lot of people will be doing that and, I imagine, that is one of the reasons why they pick that weekend.

That said, I don't think I am going to be able to make it, even though it is in my hometown.

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    I think a lot of people will be doing that and, I imagine, that is one of the reasons why they pick that weekend.

That said, I don't think I am going to be able to make it, even though it is in my hometown.
    For Slim and other Boston beer drinkers, I made a trip to Downtown Liquors in Davis Square yesterday and it is an excellent resource. Huge craft brew selection, as well as a large Belgium area. Mixed 6 packs are encouraged. Worth checking out..

Was in Tennessee over the w/e for a family reunion and managed to bring back about two cases of Fat Tire. It's sad you can get it in Lawrenceburg TN but you can't get it in Cincinnati. But I digress. I also saw Yuengling down there as well. To make matters worse the one place I used to get Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen here is no longer carrying it. I really think it's time to move.

Quote Originally Posted by jkidd31 View Post
    Was in Tennessee over the w/e for a family reunion and managed to bring back about two cases of Fat Tire. It's sad you can get it in Lawrenceburg TN but you can't get it in Cincinnati. But I digress. I also saw Yuengling down there as well. To make matters worse the one place I used to get Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen here is no longer carrying it. I really think it's time to move.
    "About" two cases? How long a drive did the trip turn into? That being said, happy beers to you.

St Bernadus 12-I think this was reviewed here before by another serious beer afficionado and I just had my first tasting this weekend. 750 ml (over 2 nights) of a delicious abbey ale at 10% ABV with flavors of dark fruits and perhaps a bit of brown sugar and maple. Thick, creamy head and minimal bitterness. Good for dessert by itself or with a thick slice of rum/pound or fruit cake. And that's not just crazietalk...

Oh, look, I think this is #6000. Again.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    St Bernadus 12-I think this was reviewed here before by another serious beer afficionado and I just had my first tasting this weekend. 750 ml (over 2 nights) of a delicious abbey ale at 10% ABV with flavors of dark fruits and perhaps a bit of brown sugar and maple. Thick, creamy head and minimal bitterness. Good for dessert by itself or with a thick slice of rum/pound or fruit cake. And that's not just crazietalk...

Oh, look, I think this is #6000. Again.
    Yup, it is! At least for now...!
    devildeac
    All-American, 1st Team
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Winter Seasonal

Just thought it a travesty that this thread had fallen so far off the front page, so I thought I'd bump it by asking for recommendations on a good seasonal beer heading into the holidays and winter.

I know it's probably covered somewhere within the depths of this thread, but it's become a little too cumbersome to search it.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post
    Just thought it a travesty that this thread had fallen so far off the front page, so I thought I'd bump it by asking for recommendations on a good seasonal beer heading into the holidays and winter.

I know it's probably covered somewhere within the depths of this thread, but it's become a little too cumbersome to search it.
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/35/101

I agree...any recs? I only got into drinking beer 1/1/09 and I used this thread combine with my friends to find different beers that I liked.

Now that I ask for recs, I'd say the Shiner Holiday Cheer is one of the best winter beers (and beers overall) I've had. Can't wait for that to come out again.

Holiday Recommendations

2 Below from New Belgium became one of my favorites last winter. There's also Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale and Rogue's Santa's Private Reserve. All three that I mentioned are on the heavier side, maybe 5-7 % ABV.

Happy Exploring!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaDuke View Post

Heh-heh. I've got a few reviews saved up for this thread. And that's not just crazietalk. My winter recommendation would be Black Chocolate Stout by the Brooklyn Brewing Company. My first fall suggestion would be Hoptober by the New Belgium Brewing Company. Thanks for reviving this.

For anyone living or visiting the Charlotte area, I'd recommend a trip to the Eastfield Bar and Grill in the University area. It's a great little bar that opened up around the corner from my neighborhood. They have a great selection of American microbreweries and do a nightly beer tasting. The food's pretty good, too.

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in the bar, I swear!

Quote Originally Posted by davekay1971 View Post
    For anyone living or visiting the Charlotte area, I'd recommend a trip to the Eastfield Bar and Grill in the University area. It's a great little bar that opened up around the corner from my neighborhood. They have a great selection of American microbreweries and do a nightly beer tasting. The food's pretty good, too.

Disclaimer: I have no financial stake in the bar, I swear!
    And if/when you/others come to Raleigh, The Flying Saucer has a great draft/bottle selection of micros. The food there is OK, mostly sammiches, salads and appetizers. Tyler's Taproom in Derm has a fine selection of drafts and bottles, too. They have more/better selection of pre-game foods/meals than Flying Saucer.