Page 123 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 23731131211221231241251331732236231123 ... LastLast
Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

From the recent archives: CB&B's I Dunno But It's Good Ale-Seriously, this is his name for this home brew. Rumor has it, he took all his leftover malts and hops from his fall/winter brewing adventures, threw them in the pot/kettle/bathtub and fermented coming up with a medium brown, slightly cloudy ale with soft tastes of milk chocolate, very mild coffee and a slight floral bouquet and mild bitterness. This most closely resembles a porter. I'd guess IBU about 50-60 and an ABV of 5-6%. Nice for a spring evening. Grilled chicked or pork would make a nice match with this.

Kalamazoo Stout-Dark, dark brown-nearly black. Roasty with a hint of chocolate but mostly espresso flavors, perhaps a bit of licorice and molasses. A bit of hop and burnt bitterness. IBU probably 50-60 and ABV was 6%.

Stone Smoked Porter-A dark brown pour with a slight aroma and taste of peat, game and smoked salmon. Very mildly bitter and roasty with no chocolate or coffee taste. I like the Alaskan Smoked Porter a bit better but this would be fabulous with smoked meats, cheeses, ribs or spicy grilled fish/chicken. I'd guess IBU in the 50's and ABV is 5.9%.

Dogfish Head Red and White-This is really an interesting concoction. A Belgian witbier which is clear and pours a nice reddish-gold color. It's mildly fizzy but not as much so as most witbiers are. It is blended with 11% pinot noir juice (wine or no wine, I don't know) and aged in oak casks which give it some tastes of apples and honey in addition to the coriander and orange peel/zest with which a wit is typically brewed. Hops have a fairly small role here and I'd guess an IBU of 30-40 range but the ABV is high at 10%. Several of us enjoyed this 750 ml bottle in port/sherry glasses with a salad of mixed greens (weeds) with strawberries, goat cheese, walnuts and balsalmic. The main course was shrimp which had been sauteed with bacon, garlic, onions and chopped tomatoes. A nice alternative to wine and it matched well with the meal. I did taste the malbeck (sp?) which the ladies had with their entrees and it was a nice choice also.

Ft Collins Double Chocolate Stout-an imperial stout at 8.1% ABV and a moderate amount of bitterness both from the hops, but mostly from the very roasty chocolate malt. This has elements of espresso in the aroma and taste but no coffee in the brewing process to the best of my knowledge. This is brewed with chocolate or cocoa and it has the taste of a very high cocoa product (think Lindt's with > 70% cocoa). Think about a bittersweet dark chocolate bar that is in liquid form. This was PART of dessert and sipped at room temp in a small cocktail glass prior to enjoying the rest of the bomber (with 2 other guys) with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, therefore making the rest of dessert a beer/stout float.

Sam Adams Longshot 2008 brews are now in stores. Cranberry Wit, Traditional Bock and Double IPA are the members of the mixed 6ers.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sam Adams Longshot 2008 brews are now in stores. Cranberry Wit, Traditional Bock and Double IPA are the members of the mixed 6ers.
    Would this be considered the "starting six"?

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    Would this be considered the "starting six"?
    I guess so-three sets of twins...

Sam Adams Longshot Cranberry Wit-a traditional witbier with a slight pink hue due to the subtle inclusion of cranberries, along with cinnamon, orange peel, coriander and grains of paradise. Fizzy like a wit should be with minimal bitterness and I'd guess about 5% ABV. I'm not that big a fruit beer fan but this is a wonderful beverage after a lawn mowing or as a pre-dinner drink with a bowl of fruit salad.

Sam Adams Longshot Traditional Bock-excellent representation of the style with homemade, browned biscuits, lots of malty sweetness with tastes of caramel, butterscotch and a bit of toffee. Little hop presence. A 6er that includes the Cranberry Wit, this and the Double IPA will set you back about $8which is a good price for a "sampler". ABV is 6.8%.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA-a brew I have never seen before from this fine brewery. A nice blend of hops which give this well-done ale hints of grapefruit but more notes of spruce/pine and, gasp, perhaps cannabis. Just the aroma and taste, there's no weed in this beer. Golden pour, nice head and moderate bitterness with the edge taken off just a bit with some malt and an ABV of 7.2%. This would be good with chicken and cold water fish grilled with a few mild spices.

Sam Adams Longshot Double IPA-7 varieties of hops and 6 types of malts, or something like that. The hop assortment gives this brew a bit of citrus aroma/taste (think grapefruit) plus more scents and flavors of pine/spruce. Golden-amber in color and slightly cloudy with a head that is retained fairly well. Pretty representative of the Imperial IPA style. This is a fairly brutal/bitter brew as it should be with such a large quantity of hops in it. I'd guess IBU in the 80-90 range. The ABV is 9% so it is not a session brew. I'd prefer the Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA but this is a well-done homebrew winner that SA has marketed at a reasonable price (about $8 for a mixed 6er) across the country.

Deschutes Brewery-Green Lakes Organic Ale-an amber ale with some characteristics of an APA with a bit of hoppiness to accompany the bready/biscuity taste typical for an amber. The label says "brewed with 5 types of 100% organic malted barley and balanced with Liberty and Salmon-Safe Sterling hops." A good session beer at 5.2% ABV and probably IBU of 40-50. I bought this out-of-date at the Portland airport a couple months ago at 1/2 price which was really twice the price 'cuz it was several "singles" being sold at inflated airport prices. If you're still reading here, DA, you might try to find this as it reminds me of Mac and Jack's Amber which I had in Seattle last year.

CB&B's HP-Honey Pale Ale (I think)-30 day tasting (or, technically 60 days after bottling). Another fine effort from the home-brewing king of DBR. Few characteristics of a pale ale with very modest hop aromas and tastes. Mostly floral with no fruitiness or citrus presence. This is quite smooth with well balanced malts that I'd guess are crystal and caramel. Very slightly sweet from a small amount of honey, I think. Golden color with a modest retained head. I'd guess about 40-50 IBU and a pretty standard 5% ABV, so a fine ale as part of a session or with some mild grilled fare such as chicken or fish.

I'm not as qualified to comment as most people in this thread, and I definitely haven't tasted as many beers as you all. But I do love the stuff and I have a few favorites. I tend not to be as adventurous on a daily basis as much as a yearly basis. 2009 for me has been full of the following:

Starr Hill "The Love" (Charlottesville, VA)

Highland Gaelic Ale (Asheville, NC)

Big Boss Bad Penny (Raleigh, NC)

Wee Heavy (Rochester, NY)

Fat Tire, Newcastle, and Magic Hat also find their way into the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley2Hill View Post
    I'm not as qualified to comment as most people in this thread, and I definitely haven't tasted as many beers as you all. But I do love the stuff and I have a few favorites. I tend not to be as adventurous on a daily basis as much as a yearly basis. 2009 for me has been full of the following:

Starr Hill "The Love" (Charlottesville, VA)

Highland Gaelic Ale (Asheville, NC)

Big Boss Bad Penny (Raleigh, NC)

Wee Heavy (Rochester, NY)

Fat Tire, Newcastle, and Magic Hat also find their way into the rotation.
    Never had any Starr Hill products but like the Gaelic, Bad Penny and Fat Tire. I've had the French Broad Wee Heavy but haven't had any Magic Hat products for several years. Not bad but not I really wasn't too impressed with the Magic Hat brews. Keep tasting and trying new products-that's part of the fun when learning about beers.

CB&B's Dunno But It's Good brew-60 day tasting-holding up well. This is a home brew and is a lighter porter. Remains clean/clear with mild tastes of milk chocolate, dark caramel and a bit of coffee with very mild bitterness. IBU probably about 40-50 or less. ABV about 5-6%. I may have 1 left I'll taste/enjoy at 90 days. A good choice with ribs, burgers and perhaps a bit spicier fare off the grill or out of the crock pot (do I sense chili in the future?)

Red Sky at Night-another of the Heavy Seas series form the brewers at Clipper City. Not red at all but a yellow-golden and slighly hazy ale from the wheat malt used. Also has Belgian yeast and candy sugar. This is a saison, or Belgian farmhouse style ale. Think Hennepin. Minimal bitterness and slightly sweet with tastes of honey, saffron and apples. I'd guess the IBU at 30-40 and the ABV is listed at 7.5%, so not a lightweight.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    From the recent archives: CB&B's I Dunno But It's Good Ale-Seriously, this is his name for this home brew. Rumor has it, he took all his leftover malts and hops from his fall/winter brewing adventures, threw them in the pot/kettle/bathtub and fermented coming up with a medium brown, slightly cloudy ale with soft tastes of milk chocolate, very mild coffee and a slight floral bouquet and mild bitterness.
    I have another one of these adventurous ales in the fermenter now. Once again I have used all my remaining grains, although this batch it totaled 15.5 pounds, thus requiring two separate batches boiled for 120 minutes each to get the 14 gallons of water I used down to 5.5 gallons of wort. Haven't settled on a name yet, but the early favorite is "Everything But The Kithen Sink". It will be a oatmeal wheat stout, if there is such a thing. If there wasn't, there is now.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My wife and I are renting a house in Maine this summer. I tried a Bar Harbor Blueberry and a Sea Dog Blueberry to prepare myself for the trip. Neither was something to make me want to leave early for Bar Harbor. One was bland, the other (Sea Dog) was okay, but not great. Not a yech, but not memorable. I needed a Great Lakes brew to get back to the Ymm thread mentality -- anyone have any suggestions of local Maine products??