Page 121 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 21711111191201211221231311712216211121 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Hi all--pretty new to this thread, and you all probably know about this place already, but I am in Portland, Maine this holiday weekend and visited Novare Res, a cool beer garden with an amazing array of draft and bottled beers. Novare Res is the one place I make sure to go whenever I visit Portland. They even have gluten-free beer for my Celiac sister-in-law (not sure they should be allowed to use "beer" on the label, but I'll let it slide so my sister-in-law can join in the fun).

The place is kinda tucked in on a side alley right in downtown Portland. From their website: Enter through the alleyway at the Keybank sign on lower Exchange St between Middle St and Fore St. Look for Novare Res on the north side of the parking lot.

You'll probably see me there a couple times this week!
    Before you are allowed to post any more on this thread, the required reading list is the prior 2399 posts (jk). Seriously, looking forward to your samplings and musings during your visit to the "other" Portland.

Hi all--pretty new to this thread, and you all probably know about this place already, but I am in Portland, Maine this holiday weekend and visited Novare Res, a cool beer garden with an amazing array of draft and bottled beers. Novare Res is the one place I make sure to go whenever I visit Portland. They even have gluten-free beer for my Celiac sister-in-law (not sure they should be allowed to use "beer" on the label, but I'll let it slide so my sister-in-law can join in the fun).

The place is kinda tucked in on a side alley right in downtown Portland. From their website: Enter through the alleyway at the Keybank sign on lower Exchange St between Middle St and Fore St. Look for Novare Res on the north side of the parking lot.

Thanks for the tip..I visit portland a few times each year but have never been there..will have to remember on my next trip. Big fan of Allagash..I had a bottle of their Interlude a few weeks back and it was great...Pricey but worth it as a special..Most of their Belgians are very well done..

And the final ale in the Full Sail sampler is their Imperial Porter. The Cuban sammich is long gone now and this is lunch dessert. This is a nearly black brew that is a bit viscous with coffee and dark chocolate flavors and modest hop bitterness. There are hints of currants and dates with perhaps some burnt caramel. I shoulda had a brownie or chocolate chip cookie with this but it was fine by itself, too. ABV is 7.5% and the IBU are 60. I have a bomber that made it back safely to Raleigh in one of my ski boots and I will save it until the fall for a Brunchgate. So, if it sounds tasty to anyone, come join us for some fine food and brews in the fall prior to a FB game. You never know who or what may show up...

>50K views now. Awesome. C'mon some of you hop heads and beer nerds/snobs () out there, let's hear/see what else you like as the winter season fades and those bocks/doublebocks, pale ales and wheat brews hit the shelves in your favorite beverage stores!

Ahh, now I get it-the Allagash brewpub. You should have some really good reviews in the next several days.

New Belgium has arrived in NC and to start with they sent the 1554 Ale and Mothership Wit in bombers. A friend brought by a bomber of Fat Tire yesterday so I know that's here, too.

1554 Enlightened Black Ale-A nice but not overwhelming offering. A clean, crisp, dark brown pour with a modest head and a bit of smoke and lots of chocolate and caramel malts. Hops with a minimal presence here. A fine session or share beer that would be good with burgers and brats/sausages. Probably about 30-40 IBU and 5.6% ABV.

Back to page 1 for this thread

carolina Nut Brown Ale-good session brew and pretty typical for the species. Medium brown and clear pour with probably chocolate and caramel malts. Perhaps a hint of medium brown chocolate and a bit nutty to taste. No known additives, unlike the Rogue Hazlenut Brown Ale which does add hazelnuts/flavor to the brewing process. Minimal hop nose so IBU would be low to moderate and ABV is probably 5-6%. I like this a bit better than Newcastle.

Cottonwood Endo IPA-Mooresville, NC-good brew-nothing special but a nice spring/summer IPA pretty typical for the style with some grapefruit zest. Golden, clear pour with probably 60-70 IBU so not that bitter with a bit of caramel or crystal malt in the finish. Good beverage with shrimp or chicken on the grill or sitting on the porch with neighbors watching the sunset. I'd guess about 6% ABV.

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale..A dark stong ale/double IPA. Their 11th Anniversary brew that they rolled into the everyday lineup. Pours porter brown..tastes a bit like the Southern Tier Iniquity that I reviewed previously though not nearly as harsh. Very hoppy and appropriately bitter but with a roasted/toasted undercurrent. Not bad but for something so hoppy I prefer a more straightforward double IPA..ie DFH 90 Minute or Founders Double Trouble. ABV is about 9%

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale..A dark stong ale/double IPA. Their 11th Anniversary brew that they rolled into the everyday lineup. Pours porter brown..tastes a bit like the Southern Tier Iniquity that I reviewed previously though not nearly as harsh. Very hoppy and appropriately bitter but with a roasted/toasted undercurrent. Not bad but for something so hoppy I prefer a more straightforward double IPA..ie DFH 90 Minute or Founders Double Trouble. ABV is about 9%
    Never seen that one!

Ya got me now. I'm gonna have to look for it or break out the Ruination IPA and/or the Double Bastard Ale this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Never seen that one!

Ya got me now. I'm gonna have to look for it or break out the Ruination IPA and/or the Double Bastard Ale this weekend.
    I think it might be a fairly new release as I've now suddenly seen it in a few stores..They also just released their 2009 bombers of Russian Imperial Stout. I've been on the hunt for sometime now for Double Bastard with little luck..the guy who sold me the Self Righteous hinted they had a few new Stone offerings coming in so I'm hoping that is one of them..

Inversion IPA-Deschutes Brewing-Caramel malt and NW hops give a nice balance to this pretty standard IPA. A bit of citrus zing from the hops. Would be nice with grilled chicken or seafood. Good session brew at 6.8% ABV. One of these awaits CB&B's palate tomorrow at Brunchgate.

Never seen that one!

The Double Bastard is hard to find. I saw it for the 1st time in Raleigh last month and have never had it before but had seen it at various vacation locales. Stay tuned.

Got a Red Hook sampler from a friend when I had requested a Stoudt's or Victory assortment. I'll live with it.

Blonde-nice spring summer beer. Yellow-golden and light on the IBU and ABV-I'd guess 4-5%. Perhaps a bit of lemon grass flavor and scent. Good for a thirst quencher after yard/lawn work.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Heavy Seas Holy Sheet Uber Alley Ale.
    I love Sundays after a brunchgate, it's when I taste one or trades from the the day before. I got gifted from two traders yesterday, clbunchanumbers (whom I have actually memorized his numbers now, but I'm stuck in my old ways) and devildeac. The Heavy Seas offering is from DD.
    Instantly fruity, and I'm trying to pick out the overt ones. No one fruit really stands out, the ale just has that quality to its flavor. It has a dark red color and high abv at 9%. On the bottle they call the color "deep bugundy", and the comparison to the wine isn't lost on the color alone. Between the color, higher alcohol and fruityness it's easy to place both side by side with a steak dinner. Medium body, low head..this brew is to be enjoyed over a long conversation or would be a good reading refresher. I'd buy it if I saw it in the store without hesitation.
    Forgive the repeat if you have read before.
    Wow I haven't posted on this thread in a while.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Sam Adams Imperial Double Boch---Not sure how much this differs from their original double boch as its been a long time since I've had one. I found this to be average. It's pure sweet malt, unbalanced by any hoppiness or bitterness. Comes off as a very sweet beer with a bit too much of a boozy taste. I've tried a few of the Sam Adams Imperial series so far and haven't been overly impressed.

Great divide Hercules IPA..Excellent Double IPA...Very hoppy but not overwhelmingly bitter. Very dry. Seemed a little lighter than some similar beers but this made it very easy to drink... which is always dangerous at 10%..

Sam Adams Imperial Double Boch---Not sure how much this differs from their original double boch as its been a long time since I've had one. I found this to be average. It's pure sweet malt, unbalanced by any hoppiness or bitterness. Comes off as a very sweet beer with a bit too much of a boozy taste. I've tried a few of the Sam Adams Imperial series so far and haven't been overly impressed.

Great divide Hercules IPA..Excellent Double IPA...Very hoppy but not overwhelmingly bitter. Very dry. Seemed a little lighter than some similar beers but this made it very easy to drink... which is always dangerous at 10%..
    Beat me to the SA Double Bock as I just picked up a 4 pack this afternoon and it's a bit early for a high gravity beer 'cuz I still have to mow the lawn. And I'm not attempting to quench my thirst with a 9.5% ABV brew. More later.

Beat me to the SA Double Bock as I just picked up a 4 pack this afternoon and it's a bit early for a high gravity beer 'cuz I still have to mow the lawn. And I'm not attempting to quench my thirst with a 9.5% ABV brew. More later.
    Curious to see what you think..I might give it another chance tonight as I still have 3 more.

Curious to see what you think..I might give it another chance tonight as I still have 3 more.
    Not tonight as I am working my way through a sampler that I really did not want-see a couple posts above. I'll probably have the SA Monday night. Make sure you drink the Imperial/Double Bock at cellar temp or at least try it that way. It's technically a lager, so it might be better colder.

Red Hook ESB-a fair rendition of the standard English ESB. Some caramel and chocolate malts with minimal hop presence so I'd guess the IBU are 40-50 and the bottle says ABV is 5.8% so you can enjoy this during a session. Part of the sampler I didn't order. I guess I got the NH brewing but not the Woodinville, Washington product. (are you still reading here, DA? )