Page 116 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 16661061141151161171181261662166161116 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Any guesses what #1000 will be later tonight after the Duke game?
    I'll bet it is a Devil of a brew!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

This is #999 on this thread for me.

Any guesses what #1000 will be later tonight after the Duke game?
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    I'll bet it is a Devil of a brew!
    So what did you have?

9F 9F 9F

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    CLTlottanumbers told me he got to entertain Ozzie with some grilled seafood and Virginia microbrews this week. I assumed he meant Ozzie picked up some 6oz. cans of Bud Light in Richmond, but I was told they instead enjoyed some ales from Old Dominion brewing. Waiting for a review Ozzie!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    CLTlottanumbers told me he got to entertain Ozzie with some grilled seafood and Virginia microbrews this week. I assumed he meant Ozzie picked up some 6oz. cans of Bud Light in Richmond, but I was told they instead enjoyed some ales from Old Dominion brewing. Waiting for a review Ozzie!
    Both beers were brown, cold and tasty! Well, they came in brown bottles, anyway, so I think the beers were brown. So were the repeat trials - very consistent! I like that in a beer!

9F 9F 9F

CLTlottanumbers told me he
    Oh, and it is clbunchofnumbers, not cltlottanumbers

9F 9F 9F

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Thanks, I hate screwing up names I can't pronounce
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Not a Devil of a brew but Hop Devil, Duvel, Maudite or Samael might have worked. My choice, kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum and almost saintly, was Samichlaus-2004 edition. This brew is Austrian and is concocted every St. Nicholas day and held/aged for about 10 months before release. Amber in color with little head and prominent tastes of sherry, golden raisins and perhaps apples and pears. Fabulous after dinner beer or dessert beverage. Might be good with some lighter chocolate pastry or candy but not the dark stuff. ABV is 14% and very prominent from start to finish. Don't drink it cold but drink it slightly chilled or at cellar temps. This aged very well for 5 years and is my last one from that year.

Now about that next 1000...

My choice, kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum and almost saintly, was Samichlaus-2004 edition.
    5 year old ale, wow. Congrats on a 1000, you celebrated it well, great review.

5 year old ale, wow. Congrats on a 1000, you celebrated it well, great review.
    Thanks. I really wanted to review the Sam Adams Utopia or Millenium some time but doubt I will ever find/afford one.

Not a Devil of a brew but Hop Devil, Duvel, Maudite or Samael might have worked. My choice, kinda on the opposite end of the spectrum and almost saintly, was Samichlaus-2004 edition. This brew is Austrian and is concocted every St. Nicholas day and held/aged for about 10 months before release. Amber in color with little head and prominent tastes of sherry, golden raisins and perhaps apples and pears. Fabulous after dinner beer or dessert beverage. Might be good with some lighter chocolate pastry or candy but not the dark stuff. ABV is 14% and very prominent from start to finish. Don't drink it cold but drink it slightly chilled or at cellar temps. This aged very well for 5 years and is my last one from that year.

yes congrats on the 1000 (I must start drinking faster) and for keeping the Samichlaus for 5 years. I enjoyed one of those over the holidays though it was not quite as mature (it was more of a toddler)..

In the words of Ernest T. Bass, "You can afford to be mighty proud of yourself, mighty proud."

This one sounds beautiful, and a wonderful finishing touch to a tournament returning night, headed for glory.

Wink

Thanks. I really wanted to review the Sam Adams Utopia or Millenium some time but doubt I will ever find/afford one.
    Yeah, right!!!!! Mr. "my" beer HERO (between you and CB&B) - and I see alot of potential in DA, I am a student again!!!! I am a quick study!!!! Teach me!!!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for defending my honor!!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks, I hate screwing up names I can't pronounce
    It's okay ... my son... go make some brew and your sins will be forgiven with one of those AWESOME brews of yours!!!!

Thumbs up

CLTlottanumbers
    told me he got to entertain Ozzie with some grilled seafood and Virginia microbrews this week. I assumed he meant Ozzie picked up some 6oz. cans of Bud Light in Richmond, but I was told they instead enjoyed some ales from Old Dominion brewing. Waiting for a review Ozzie!
    Both beers were brown, cold and tasty! Well, they came in brown bottles, anyway, so I think the beers were brown. So were the repeat trials - very consistent! I like that in a beer!
    Ozzie - both bottles and ale were brown! You are correct!!!!

Let me give this a try brother (although your review was concise and to the point... YMM, BEER and TASTY!!!), ... I've looked and read and read and wondered how to ever do a Beer review like the Tiger Woods aka "Master's" of this forum thread, so let me give it an initial try... (I am cheating a bit, but be gentle)...

Dominion Baltic Porter "Winter Brew" is a bottom-fermented lager brewed to meet your need for warmth on a cold winter's night. Hints of licorice, toffee and chocolate soothe the palate and bring out the rich flavors and aroma this style is known for. They use German Pilsner, Crystal, Dark Speciality Malts and a touch of Rye giving the porter a full-bodied taste. Raise your mug to those who were bold enough to brave the Baltic!

Oh, 7.2% ABV!!!

NO WONDER THIS WAS SOOO TASTY, ... chocolate .... with Rye (aka St. Patty's day - a WOOD-EEEE!!!), it was perfect with the weather, but I'm SURE "IT" WOULD BE REALLY (NO REEEEAAAAALLY) GOOD on a COLD WINTER NIGHT ALSO!

Here is a link if anyone wants to check out further... http://www.olddominion.com/

Smile

Beer aging thoughts:

1. Buy your beers in brown bottles only.
    2. Keep them away from heat and light.
    3. Don't try it with "session" beers, meaning your "garden variety" (not meant to insult) lagers/pilsners and ales (brown, pale, wheat, fruit, etc).
    4. Higher alcohol is better for aging-helps preserve the beer. Examples of this include IPA's, most "imperial" offerings of standard styles and barleywines.
    5. Bottle-conditioned is better/best as the yeast added to the final product and bottled with it will continue to help mature and protect the beer. It may result in a slightly higher ABV in a year or two as the beer conditions.

I have slightly more patience than CB&B and bluebeer, err, bluebear, but not much. I have some 2-3 year old Brooklyn beers (Black Chocolate Stout and Monster) and 3-5 year old Samichlaus and Bigfoot, but most times I am too lazy to mark the year on the beer and throw it in a box and wait to drink it.

Hope that helps some.
    As a result of some of the last night's snrub discussion regarding the beer Oz and I had, I stopped off on the way home this evening to pick up a 12 pack and store in the fridge! I know that we have a LONG TIME for Winter, let alone our 1st brunchgate in 2009, but I got worried that this was a seasonal beer, so I bought two 6's, as I remembered the storing and aging comments of the elite here on DBR.

UH OH, now that I am reading closer, one of the Master's has suggested this Lager won't keep well! :-( Any additional thoughts? I have them chill'n right now... I hope, if I MUST drink them so I am not accused of alcohol abuse , that they will be available in the late summer, early fall! If they are in fact seasonal, then maybe Nov 09 will be a rocking brunchgate.

We always have tini's, right?

Quote Originally Posted by cl15876 View Post
    As a result of some of the last night's snrub discussion regarding the beer Oz and I had, I stopped off on the way home this evening to pick up a 12 pack and store in the fridge! I know that we have a LONG TIME for Winter, let alone our 1st brunchgate in 2009, but I got worried that this was a seasonal beer, so I bought two 6's, as I remembered the storing and aging comments of the elite here on DBR.

UH OH, now that I am reading closer, one of the Master's has suggested this Lager won't keep well! :-( Any additional thoughts? I have them chill'n right now... I hope, if I MUST drink them so I am not accused of alcohol abuse , that they will be available in the late summer, early fall! If they are in fact seasonal, then maybe Nov 09 will be a rocking brunchgate.

We always have tini's, right?
    I was going to suggest that you drink them. Perhaps with some of that vanilla or coffee ice cream we were talking about!

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by cl15876 View Post
    UH OH, now that I am reading closer, one of the Master's has suggested this Lager won't keep well!
    I'm sure it will keep fine, I don't know if it will "age", but I would assume it will if it is not filtered. It will be worth it to do as DD does, and sporadically taste one. 30 days, 60, 90, etc. You'll remember well enough to note if there is any difference. There really is only one ingredient that differentiates a lager from an ale, and that's the yeast. Ale yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast that thrives in temperatures from 65-75 degrees, and lager yeast is a top fermenting yeast that thrives in sub 60 degree temps, even colder than that is better. If you are actually going to "age" a lager, do it an as cool of environment as you possibly can. IF there is any residual yeast in the bottle, than the yeasts will be active and affect the beer. If the brewer has filtered the beer through a lordknowswhat micron screen, then it will make no difference. That applies for both lagers and ales. No yeast, no matter. It won't age.

Thumbs up

I'm sure it will keep fine, I don't know if it will "age", but I would assume it will if it is not filtered. It will be worth it to do as DD does, and sporadically taste one. 30 days, 60, 90, etc. You'll remember well enough to note if there is any difference. There really is only one ingredient that differentiates a lager from an ale, and that's the yeast. Ale yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast that thrives in temperatures from 65-75 degrees, and lager yeast is a top fermenting yeast that thrives in sub 60 degree temps, even colder than that is better. If you are actually going to "age" a lager, do it an as cool of environment as you possibly can. IF there is any residual yeast in the bottle, than the yeasts will be active and affect the beer. If the brewer has filtered the beer through a lordknowswhat micron screen, then it will make no difference. That applies for both lagers and ales. No yeast, no matter. It won't age.
    Ahhh, VERY interesting!!!!! I have always wanted to learn to make my own beer, maybe one day in the future! In the meantime, I always (most of the time) listen to the Docs when prescribing, so a sampling I will have to copmly with! I am sure that an acceptable substitute will suffice until this brew becomes available again (if it is a seasoned brew, that is).

Smile

I was going to suggest that you drink them. Perhaps with some of that vanilla or coffee ice cream we were talking about!
    Excellent suggestion, my friend!!!! I think the 2nd or 3rd was kicking in then! I might try that tomorrow! Well, on 2nd thought, ...my glass is empty right now and after that wonderful reminder, ... I am just not in the mood for more water!