Page 111 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 11611011091101111121131211612116111111 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    How and where did you find a New Belgium beer east of the Mississippi?
    hehe, I didn't know it was rare. (Although the reason I bought it was because I hadn't seen it before and the bombers were cheap.) Check your local Harris Teeter if you have one. Otherwise I'll snag a few and have my wife hide them from me.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    hehe, I didn't know it was rare. (Although the reason I bought it was because I hadn't seen it before and the bombers were cheap.) Check your local Harris Teeter if you have one. Otherwise I'll snag a few and have my wife hide them from me.
    Excellent plan

Long Trail Ale-their signature beer-an amber ale, but they call it an alt-Brewed in a true German fashion with a moderate amount of caramel malt and maybe some chocolate malt. Medium brown, clear and a bit sweet/malty and nutty up front and through the whole glass. This was also a nice session beer that was quaffed before the VThuggery last weekend, courtesy of budwom. ABV is probably about 5%.

Girl Scout Cookies and Hopslam

I ate a few,well maybe more, Caramel Delights and drank a Hopslam during the first half of the women's game. The Hopslam had quite a bite, but was not overly bitter. I did not notice any overt honey taste but early on it had a distinct citrus fragrance with "hidden" orange tastes. I had allowed it to warm up before I poured it into my Duke mug. Not my favorite beer(I reserve that for the Great Lakes Fitz. Porter), but certainly worthy of some praise.

A Bittersweet Brew

Right now I'm starting in on a lager labeled (or might as well be labeled)...

Frustrated

...to immediately be followed by...

Hopeful Anxiety

Old Horizontal-usually one of my favorite barleywines-last evening, it was bitter and not enjoyable. I even clanged the empty bottle off the side of the trashcan, missed the rebound and got whistled for a technical foul by my wife in the process for excess profanity in the kitchen. Still have 2 left, I think. One for CB&B and one for next year.

Old Horizontal-usually one of my favorite barleywines-last evening, it was bitter and not enjoyable.

Still have 2 left, I think. One for CB&B and one for next year.
    Ick! This milk is sour. Here, you taste it
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ick! This milk is sour. Here, you taste it
    It was actually a reference to my state of mind after MBB and WBB lost yesterday. I could have had a Chimay and I don't think I would have enjoyed it.

It was actually a reference to my state of mind after MBB and WBB lost yesterday. I could have had a Chimay and I don't think I would have enjoyed it.
    Dang liberal arts metaphors and imagery!

9F 9F 9F

Question Any brews that will help change the mojo around here?

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Dang liberal arts metaphors and imagery!
    Sure beats Zager & Evans references to postcounts!

Given the way the BBall season has been lately, I haven't had much brew in the last few weeks. I can't watch the games, I can't NOT watch the games. Lucky sweatshirt works, lucky sweatshirt doesn't work. My BBall mojo is not working.

Maybe I should try a Hopslam to change the mojo for the team. Something really bitter. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

Given the way the BBall season has been lately, I haven't had much brew in the last few weeks. I can't watch the games, I can't NOT watch the games. Lucky sweatshirt works, lucky sweatshirt doesn't work. My BBall mojo is not working.

Maybe I should try a Hopslam to change the mojo for the team. Something really bitter. Any other suggestions?
    I'll send you the link tonight for the 50 or 100 most bitter beers in America...

Porkslap Pale Ale by Butternuts Beer and Ale

I tried a Porkslap at the County Grille. The best things it has going for it are the name and the can. The can is pink with a pair of pigs doing a belly slap - reminds me of Doh's assault on Chris Collins. The beer is a pretty typical pale ale with hints of this that and the other, but not much real flavor. It was preceded by a Legend IPA, and it reminded me of the Legend - except without the flavor. If you are a can collector, go for it! Otherwise - - eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post

The Hopslam did not work for me in regards to the women's game last week, but maybe it was just me (or the Girl Scout cookies). The game was a bitter pill to swallow as was the beer.

30 Day Alt-CB&B Specialty Brewing-Has matured nicely in a month with little difference in that time. A bit darker and maltier/sweeter than a standard alt or amber brew which is good. A bit nutty and wheat bread type doughy. My bet is about 5-6% ABV. Pretzels and brown mustard or wheat crackers and mild cheddar would be good with this. I'd have a brat at a Brunchgate with one of these, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    30 Day Alt-CB&B Specialty Brewing-Has matured nicely in a month with little difference in that time. A bit darker and maltier/sweeter than a standard alt or amber brew which is good. A bit nutty and wheat bread type doughy. My bet is about 5-6% ABV. Pretzels and brown mustard or wheat crackers and mild cheddar would be good with this. I'd have a brat at a Brunchgate with one of these, too.
    I had to go back and look at my schedule. This was bottled on 1/7, so it's actually the 60 day tasting, which I've decided to join you in. I'm sipping my last one now, and the review seems true. The alt was my last kit extract brew. The oatmeal stout I followed with was partial extract, but heavier on the grains, and the rest since have been all-grain.
    I notice it has smoothed out quite a bit since I last tasted it, and the finish has a nicer bitterness than I recall from before.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I had to go back and look at my schedule. This was bottled on 1/7, so it's actually the 60 day tasting, which I've decided to join you in. I'm sipping my last one now, and the review seems true. The alt was my last kit extract brew. The oatmeal stout I followed with was partial extract, but heavier on the grains, and the rest since have been all-grain.
    I notice it has smoothed out quite a bit since I last tasted it, and the finish has a nicer bitterness than I recall from before.
    I've got an oatmeal stout and a smoked IPA left for the 60 day tastings, too.

I'm sipping on a SIPA now, only one left after. Good thing I'm bottling tonight. Anyways, I finished off the stouts long ago, I guess I liked them . The SIPA is a favorite too, I intentionally stashed my remainders away to the bottom of my boxes.

You smoked your IPA?

9F 9F 9F

a few new stouts

I broke down after the Carolina game and tried my Schafly Reserve Stout..what a great beer. Sweet and smooth with not too much of an alcohol taste. Good blend of chocolate and malt. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy a few more..

I was also stocking up on Stone Imperial Stout and the owner of the store talked my into buying a Black Albert Royal Stout which is some cross between a stout and Belgium strong ale. Pricey for an 11.2 oz bottle but I couldn't resist trying it. I hear this is highly rated but I thought it was just average. ABV is 13% and you can really taste it. It did have an interesting creamy finish. Glad I tried it but probably won't buy again..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    I broke down after the Carolina game and tried my Schafly Reserve Stout..what a great beer. Sweet and smooth with not too much of an alcohol taste. Good blend of chocolate and malt. If it wasn't so expensive, I'd buy a few more..

I was also stocking up on Stone Imperial Stout and the owner of the store talked my into buying a Black Albert Royal Stout which is some cross between a stout and Belgium strong ale. Pricey for an 11.2 oz bottle but I couldn't resist trying it. I hear this is highly rated but I thought it was just average. ABV is 13% and you can really taste it. It did have an interesting creamy finish. Glad I tried it but probably won't buy again..
    Great reading your reviews. Where do you get some of those brews?