Page 110 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 10601001081091101111121201602106101110 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Ymm, Ommegang - I think I've had this brew as well, and IIRC, it was pretty tasty! Haven't seen much from that brewery out here.
    I think they distribute fairly widely in the NE and down south and, I'd bet, out to the midwest some, but little to the west coast. All the more reason to come to a Brunchgate in the fall and sample some Dogfish Head, Ommegang and Victory brews.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Another new-to-me review - Rogue's "Yellow Snow IPA":

Poured a deep golden color, didn't present with much of a head. The scent was both musty and citrusy, which was about as appetizing as it sounds. The taste was weird - both fruity and bitter - and while I can't say it was pleasant, it wasn't that bad either; it was just a strange mix.

This beer did get a little smoother as it warmed up to below room temp, and the more I drank it, the more I got used to the flavor. I can't say I'd buy it again, but hey, I had to try a beer named "Yellow Snow" once, ya know?
    I have not had that for several years and it is available here in NC, along with many other Rogue products. They have a huge selection of products and are never afraid to try some unusual combinations. I toured their brewery on the Oregon coast a number of years ago and sipped some of their fine XS products like IIPA, Imperial Stout, Scotch Ale and Old Crusty. You're right, though, you just have to try a beer named "Yellow Snow."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You should see the beverages I have "cellared.". But, then again, you may have already noticed or figgered that out with some of the several year old barleywines we have traded.
    I have a 750 ml bottle of this (I think) awaiting consumption, compliments of the Lavabe household from Christmas. I'm in no hurry to drink it however as I suspect it can be aged for years.
    OK, educate me a bit on this aging of beers once you have them. In years past, domestic brewers (AB, Miller and Coors) have waged advertising wars over how "fresh" their beer was ("born on" dates ring a bell?) and how it was brewed across the country to get you the consumer faster. I've had skunky beer on occasion , and I can attest that skunky is not good. Typically they got way bitter. So why is aging your "fancy" beers good? Does it have to do with them being "hoppy" and bitter to begin with so bitterer is better? It sounds sort of skunky to me. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    OK, educate me a bit on this aging of beers once you have them. In years past, domestic brewers (AB, Miller and Coors) have waged advertising wars over how "fresh" their beer was ("born on" dates ring a bell?) and how it was brewed across the country to get you the consumer faster. I've had skunky beer on occasion , and I can attest that skunky is not good. Typically they got way bitter. So why is aging your "fancy" beers good? Does it have to do with them being "hoppy" and bitter to begin with so bitterer is better? It sounds sort of skunky to me. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Let me ponder this today and re-visit this thread this evening with a more in-depth reply that hopefully will make some sense about the "aging" of beer. I suspect CB&B, ohioguy and RMD would have some thoughts, too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In years past, domestic brewers (AB, Miller and Coors) have waged advertising wars over how "fresh" their beer was ("born on" dates ring a bell?) and how it was brewed across the country to get you the consumer faster.
    I'll post thoughts on this later today, but just had to note I was thinking of Ozzie yesterday. I was at the store and for no particular reason checked the "Born on date" on a 6pack of Bud Light. It said "09FEB09".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I have a 750 ml bottle of this (I think) awaiting consumption, compliments of the Lavabe household from Christmas. I'm in no hurry to drink it however as I suspect it can be aged for years.
    Based on CBBs advice, I held off trying this on tuesday..I figure there is this sunday, and next sunday, and Final 4 weekend as better options..I don't think I have your patience though for any extended aging..

A few recent beers..
    Brooklyn monster ale..barleywine..Not a bad beer but not too memorable either. I've been drinking a lot of Victory Old Horizontal which I really like and the Monster Ale doesn't compare. Bit too much of an alcohol taste. Again, not bad but just average..

Collaboration not Litigation..A belgium ale by Avery..a decent beer though hard to describe. It's a little sharper or less sweet (though still somewhat sweet) than I expected from a belgium ale...lots of yeast sediment. I did drink it a little cold so it might have been better had I let it warm a bit. Worth trying again..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    Based on CBBs advice, I held off trying this on tuesday..I figure there is this sunday, and next sunday, and Final 4 weekend as better options..I don't think I have your patience though for any extended aging..

A few recent beers..
    Brooklyn monster ale..barleywine..Not a bad beer but not too memorable either. I've been drinking a lot of Victory Old Horizontal which I really like and the Monster Ale doesn't compare. Bit too much of an alcohol taste. Again, not bad but just average..

Collaboration not Litigation..A belgium ale by Avery..a decent beer though hard to describe. It's a little sharper or less sweet (though still somewhat sweet) than I expected from a belgium ale...lots of yeast sediment. I did drink it a little cold so it might have been better had I let it warm a bit. Worth trying again..
    Interesting thoughts about the Monster and Old Horizontal. I can't pick a favorite between those two as I find them both quite quaffable when first purchased and even a bit smoother after aging for a year or more. I even have some 3-4 year old Monsters I'll have this winter or next. I haven't been able to keep many of the Old Horizontals around long enough to age any of them. Perhaps I do like the Victory barleywine a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'll post thoughts on this later today, but just had to note I was thinking of Ozzie yesterday. I was at the store and for no particular reason checked the "Born on date" on a 6pack of Bud Light. It said "09FEB09".
    Gotta love this!

On the other hand, why were you thinking of me? Because you saw the Bud Light I hope?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Gotta love this!

On the other hand, why were you thinking of me? Because you saw the Bud Light I hope?
    Bud Light + 9F = Ozzie
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Interesting thoughts about the Monster and Old Horizontal. I can't pick a favorite between those two as I find them both quite quaffable when first purchased and even a bit smoother after aging for a year or more. I even have some 3-4 year old Monsters I'll have this winter or next. I haven't been able to keep many of the Old Horizontals around long enough to age any of them. Perhaps I do like the Victory barleywine a bit more.
    I didn't dislike the Monster and probably would have liked it more had without a recent comparison to the Horizontal...a have a few more monsters, so maybe I'll let them age a bit as you suggest and try again...I've been blowing through Horizontal this winter, though in my last trip to the store, all they had left was a 5 pack

I do believe beer floats will become Brunchgate fare.
    Happy, happy, joy, joy !!!!

Can't quite come up with a succinct reply yet but I'll post some thoughts/answers to your questions above.

1. Fresher beer is better with the average shelf life of your standard beers about 3-6 months. I often look at the brewing date or "drink by" date before I'll buy some of the standard beers.
    2. Beers hate light and like to hibernate in dark (brown) bottles much better than green bottles. That's why just about any Heine/St Pauli/Lowenbarf, err, brau, tastes and smells skunky. I even hate Pilsner Urquell from a bottle as it is bad smelling and tasting and it has the reputation of being one of/the best pilsner in the world. BTW, it is wonderful on draught.
    3. I'll drink some beers out of clear bottles, like just about any Samuel Smith's brews as they still taste wonderful and I am not quite sure why.
    4. It's not that they are bitter, it's just that they are spoiled or oxidized by certain lights (wavelengths?). Heat is the enemy of beer, too. Skunky beer=spoiled beer.
    5. I've also had some brews that foam too much or with no head at all and that generally indicates it has spoiled. Another really bad sign is if the beer tastes like liquid cardboard.

All that typing has made me thirsty. More later or tomorrow evening...

Chimay Grand Reserve-(you know, the blue one)-A classic-Medium to dark brown with aromas and tastes of dark fruits (raisins, dates, figs), brown sugar and caramel. Moderately fizzy but not like a golden ale. Slight bitterness with a strong but not overpowering alcohol taste. 9% ABV. Good dessert brew by itself or with apples or pears, maybe dipped in caramel or chocolate. DukePA and/or CB&B left this one last month and a deep note of appreciation is expressed at their kindness.

Chimay Grand Reserve-(you know, the blue one)-A classic-Medium to dark brown with aromas and tastes of dark fruits (raisins, dates, figs), brown sugar and caramel. Moderately fizzy but not like a golden ale. Slight bitterness with a strong but not overpowering alcohol taste. 9% ABV. Good dessert brew by itself or with apples or pears, maybe dipped in caramel or chocolate. DukePA and/or CB&B left this one last month and a deep note of appreciation is expressed at their kindness.

So glad you enjoyed the Chimay Grand Reserve. A very yummy beer! (how's that for a review?). In the meantime, Ezmarellda here! Just enjoyed her 5th Corona Light. Oy gevalt !! Yay beer!

Maisel's Weisse-I think this is the last of the 6er from the beach crew and it was a good one. A classic German wheat beer. Hazy, slightly spicy and orange zesty. Unfiltered. Nice fizz. I like these without a slice of fruit but a squeeze of orange would be refreshing and best enjoyed with this on the parch in the summertime (or tomorrow or Sunday in NC as the temps near 80). Probably about 5% ABV.

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    So glad you enjoyed the Chimay Grand Reserve. A very yummy beer! (how's that for a review?). In the meantime, Ezmarellda here! Just enjoyed her 5th Corona Light. Oy gevalt !! Yay beer!
    How's Ezzie's head feeling this morning?

How's Ezzie's head feeling this morning?
    Ezmarellda is excellent today. Fortunately, she went to bed a few minutes after the last post

Long Trail-IPA-unfiltered-the way it's supposed to be according these Ver-Mont brewers. Slightly cloudy/hazy but no tastes of wheat/citrus. Hops here are floral and not citrusy/piney. Best enjoyed during a W over the VThugs, at the coast, with friends and some cheese and crackers and pretzel sticks. Thanks to budwom for hauling this brew down from the frozen NE tundra along with a few others to be reviewed as the weekend progresses. About 5-6% ABV. Good session beer.

1554 Enlightened Black Ale, from New Belgium. Interesting dark beer, it's not really black as the name claims, but a really nice very deep red color when held to the light. It reminds me lots of Yeungling's Black and Tan in flavor. A little bitter, a lot of body. 5.6% ABV, so you can easily have a few in succession, but with the amount of body this beer has you better not have a meal planned after, it's filling. All the flavorings come from the dark malts, a little more coffee stands out to me instead of the chocolate that the proclaim on the bottle. I bought a bomber, very reasonably priced. A good brew, I'd go for it again. This is the same company that produces Fat Tire, which I also bought a bomber of and was dissapointed in. Not worthy of a Ycch, beer review, but not worth noting much about here, either.

1554 Enlightened Black Ale, from New Belgium. Interesting dark beer, it's not really black as the name claims, but a really nice very deep red color when held to the light. It reminds me lots of Yeungling's Black and Tan in flavor. A little bitter, a lot of body. 5.6% ABV, so you can easily have a few in succession, but with the amount of body this beer has you better not have a meal planned after, it's filling. All the flavorings come from the dark malts, a little more coffee stands out to me instead of the chocolate that the proclaim on the bottle. I bought a bomber, very reasonably priced. A good brew, I'd go for it again. This is the same company that produces Fat Tire, which I also bought a bomber of and was dissapointed in. Not worthy of a Ycch, beer review, but not worth noting much about here, either.
    How and where did you find a New Belgium beer east of the Mississippi?