Page 11 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Yeah... be careful with the 10.6%.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Was warned I shouldn't do anything else after drinking just the one beer.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    After PMing back and forth with Devildeac I ventured into the land of chocolate beer and bought some 2007-2008 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout last week. I've only had one, which I did enjoy for the most part. But I swear I had a mini hang over. Could be that there was 10.6% alcohol in it.

I recently started to appreciate dark beers, had my first Guinness recently, so was a little hesitant in trying this beer. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I did have a chocolate chip cookie with it, never would have thought to have a cookie and a beer together, and both went down well together. It took me a while to drink it, actually there was one last gulp in the glass but as the last few sips didn't taste quite as good as the first few, figured I might as well stop. Did have a little bit of a buzz when I went to bed and hour later and woke up with a headache.

I could taste the chocolate and coffee in it, and will have another one, though not right of way.

I did also buy one other chocolate beer. The guy at Whole Foods said he felt like he was drinking a candy bar when he drank it. Will give that a try soon.
    Possibly the 1st use of chocolate was in a beer like drink.

However I prefer that beer taste like beer.

Devildeac: Your Sweetwater Festive Ale now awaits you at our abode.

Odd beer shopping situation here:
    Trader Joe's: good assortment of Rogue, Brooklyn, and Duvel-likes.
    Whole Foods: Nice assortment of specialty Dogfish Head.
    Ohioguy: My local Kroger carries Tony Packo's pickled tomatoes.
    DA: The purple haze is in my local Kroger... right next to Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

If I don't meet up with EJam tonight, it will be a Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale for the game.

Cheers and beers,
    Lavabe
    Sorry I missed your reference to Packo's--I often do not go back on threads if I have been out of town for awhile, but this being one near and dear to my heart (or taste buds), I decided to go through everything looking for suggestions. Did you purchase any Packo's products? In the last few weeks I have been in Colorado and Northern Michigan--Most interesting beer I had was called Frambozen by New Belgium--can't get me enough of that place. Leaving for Durham early tomorrow--hope the snow here holds off.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    Sorry I missed your reference to Packo's--I often do not go back on threads if I have been out of town for awhile, but this being one near and dear to my heart (or taste buds), I decided to go through everything looking for suggestions. Did you purchase any Packo's products? In the last few weeks I have been in Colorado and Northern Michigan--Most interesting beer I had was called Frambozen by New Belgium--can't get me enough of that place. Leaving for Durham early tomorrow--hope the snow here holds off.
    New Belgium FAT TIRE is wonderful; the Black Ale is a little less to my tastes (pretty bland). But the Frambozen sounds good.

What we can't get here are Tony Packo's other products (the non-relish/pickled products).

Devildeac: I wonder if Kalamazoo has Tony Packo's! Any good breweries in Western Michigan?

Cheers (and safe traveling),
    Lavabe

I brought back a mixed case of Fat Tire and Blue Paddle this time. The Frambosen(not certain of the spelling) has a hint of raspberry--it is their Christmas beer I guess. I agree about their darker beers-not as good as the Fat Tire. I will be wearing the Fat Tire ball cap I bought as often as weather now permits.

Quote Originally Posted by TillyGalore View Post
    Was warned I shouldn't do anything else after drinking just the one beer.
    Anybody here ever consumed a concoction titled Elephant Malt Liquor?

Danish brewed, if memory still works. After you drink one, memory is just a memory.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    DevilDeac, so far I've got you two Christmases, two Pumpkins, and a Stout. I still need to get the rest.
    Christmas/seasonal ales are usually quite good-what is the theme/flavor for the Schlafly's Christmas Ale? I know the pumpkins are delicious-Lavabe sent me one via Madame Lavabe last month. Which stout? Has anyone beside your immediate family nominated you for sainthood yet(no pun intended with the St. Louis connection)?

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Possibly the 1st use of chocolate was in a beer like drink.

However I prefer that beer taste like beer.
    Ah, yes, but with all the different styles of beers(lagers/pilsners, numerous types of ales, bocks, double bocks, porters, stouts, lambics), they will all taste different depending on what types of yeast, hops and barley(or wheat or rye) are used. Many different aromas, too.

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    The Frambozen is a very interesting brew. Some are turned off by the fruitiness of it but I have always liked that brown ale with only a mild taste of the raspberry. If you want a truly great raspberry ale, try to find Raspberry Tart from the New Glarus Brewery in New Glarus, WI. Their distribution is very limited but you may find it in the Chicago/Madison area. My wife HATES beer but I got her to try a snifter of this several years ago and she actually drank 6-8 ounces, declaring it quite tasty, and then promptly returned to her chardonnay(leaving the remainder of the 750 ml bottle for me and my father )

ymm, beer

New Belgium FAT TIRE is wonderful; the Black Ale is a little less to my tastes (pretty bland). But the Frambozen sounds good.

What we can't get here are Tony Packo's other products (the non-relish/pickled products).

Devildeac: I wonder if Kalamazoo has Tony Packo's! Any good breweries in Western Michigan?

Cheers (and safe traveling),
    Lavabe
    Bell's Brewery is in Kalamazoo, I think, hence they are often referred to as Kalamazoo beers. They brew some hearty ales. Check out their web site. I have a couple Bell's brews waiting for you over the holidays.

Ditto on the New Glarus. We have two bottles of it that I'm not allowed to touch. We bought them either in green Bay or in Door County.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Missouri beer lovers take note:

http://www.saucemagazine.com/article/14

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Schlafly Beer Review

A brief one:

Tried the Pumpkin Spice brew the other night and it gets 5 of 5 stars from EarlJam, a professional beer drinker (but not a sot).

Absolutely exceeded expectations. Okay, if you think of having a slice of Grandma's Famous Pumpkin Pie with a cold beer, well, that doesn't sound too refreshing, yet Schlafly pulls it off.

It's like you dunked a wedge of the best pumpkin pie you've ever had into a frothy mug of your favorite beer then took a bite.

It's a filling beer, one to be sipped, not gulped. But I highly recommend it, especially for this time of year!

Oh, and it has a KICK. This surprised EarlJam. I am not used to having such little quantity of beer affect me, but this did. My feet were slowly, gently and caringly lifted from the ground as a wonderful tingle and calm overcame me (no jokes, please....it WAS the beer).

Seriously, I've got nothing bad to say about this beer. It's awesome. Maybe I love it so much because I'm a big fan of Sam Adams Oktoberfest Brew. Who knows? But this is good stuff.

Drive to St. Louis and get some this weekend!

-EarlJam

So Throaty, what's the latest brew news in St. Louis? Any bizarre entries to the Schlafly collection?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer..

So Throaty, what's the latest brew news in St. Louis? Any bizarre entries to the Schlafly collection?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Another message/questions for Mr. TB. Any more brews to make the trip to WS? What are your travel plans so Lavabe and I may journey to WS and meet you? Inquiring minds(and thirsty palates) want to know.

I've got two Pumpkins, two Christmases, an Oatmeal Stout and a Winter ESB. I can add to these, but they don't have a couple other varieties DevilDeac was looking for, at least not right now. The Barleywine is available right now.

I'll be in W-S Dec 21-24.

---Roger Ebert

Who’s gonna bury who
    ---Over the Rhine

Ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I've got two Pumpkins, two Christmases, an Oatmeal Stout and a Winter ESB. I can add to these, but they don't have a couple other varieties DevilDeac was looking for, at least not right now. The Barleywine is available right now.

I'll be in W-S Dec 21-24.
    A 6er of the Barleywine sounds like a delicious addition to that fine recruiting class that you have already assembled. Where to meet and when during your visit to WS?

ymmm, beer

BTTT for IMA to read and review and make her beer selections for the holidays.

Throaty... Spreading Good Tidings

What New Belgiums are in the store? Any seasonals?
    Thanks,
    Lavabe

What New Belgiums are in the store? Any seasonals?
    Thanks,
    Lavabe
    New Belgium has two seasonals: 2 Below Winter Ale and Frambozen Rasberry Brown Ale.