Page 103 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 353931011021031041051131532036031103 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post
    Have people in this thread been drinking so much that they can't figure out how to keep quotes working?...
    I was following CathyCA's lead. Pretty disorganized, eh?

Attention DD and CB&B

I've got a surprise for you tonight.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Hmm...

He went through the Denver airport...

Something NB or Avery...

He just returned from LA (not Lower Advance)...

Something Green Flash...

We ate at an Italian place last evening here in the great northwestern part of Ohio. The waiter suggested a Peroni (?) as a beer choice. I went along with it. It was served very cold in an iced over glass. A very pale looking beer, very little head, and not a lot of flavor. If I were mowing my lawn in Rome, this would be a great beer to cool off with, but not so much for anything else. BTW, I do not own a home in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    We ate at an Italian place last evening here in the great northwestern part of Ohio. The waiter suggested a Peroni (?) as a beer choice. I went along with it. It was served very cold in an iced over glass. A very pale looking beer, very little head, and not a lot of flavor. If I were mowing my lawn in Rome, this would be a great beer to cool off with, but not so much for anything else. BTW, I do not own a home in Rome.
    I've had a Moretti and a Peroni. Doppel style. In Italy. I would have gone with a glass of chianti or pinot grigio.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hmm...

He went through the Denver airport...

Something NB or Avery...

He just returned from LA (not Lower Advance)...

Something Green Flash...
    Bzzzzz. WRONG!

The "something" may have come through LA, but did not originate in LA Nor Denver

9F 9F 9F

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Blasphemy-Weyerbacher Brewing Company-Their Quad offering aged in oak/whiskey barrels. I know a tripple but can't figure out how you ferment an ale 4 times. Brownish-orange in color with some typical elements of a tripple (dark fruit). Tons of maltiness, mild hop presence and woody/oaky with hints of vanilla and orange peel. A mild whiskey taste in the finish. IBU not known but probably 60-70 range. 11% ABV so this was a bomber divided over 2 nights. I am convinced I have found an east coast rival for the Avery folks. Are you reading, RMD?
    I've looked and Weyerbacher does distribute to Ohio so when I'm there in a few weeks I'll hopefully be able to pick up a bomber or two.

The only quad I've ever had is--as your post would indicate--Avery's The Reverend. It's one of my least favorite of theirs but I can't put my finger on why. Maybe Blasphemy can change my opinion of the style.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Review and question

During our after-Miami-game adventures at DevilDeac's house, Ozzie gifted us with a large bottle of Duvel. One of the companies he does business with had passed out bottles of French wine to everyone, but they had a heads up that he preferred the better alcoholic beverage and gave him the bottle which he graciously shared with us. It is a top notch Belgian ale, comparable in quality only to Chimay. From what I remember it had a nice soft head with great retention, properly bottled with cork and not a cap. A very light golden color, a little bitter, and so slightly fruity. Up there in the alcohol content too.
    Right now I'm enjoying one of my favorite ales of all time, Ommegang's Abbey Ale. I've reviewed it here before. I've just noticed on the side of the label it says "Part of the Duvel family of fine ales". On each brewer's site, ommegang.com and duvelusa.com, there is no mention of the other. I haven't found the tie noted in Google searches either. Anyone know how the two are related?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Beer Float!

DD provided the dessert last night. We had several wonderful after hours beverages to choose from, notably cl15876's chocolatinis and caramel appletinis. But since this is Ymm, beer, we have to stay on topic. Devildeac showed us all what the famous (or infamous) beer float is about, and I'm sold. Based with Brooklyn Brewery's excellent (but not for everyone) Black Chocolate Stout, holding in suspension vanilla ice cream. Once the ice cream had had a chance to settle out and mix into the beer, this treat was a pleasant surprise. The beer is the key ingredient. I'm pretty sure it would not work nearly as well in a glass of Corona, so I'd suggest any quality dark beer. I bet the ice cream would go great in a Saranac Caramel porter. (One of my favorite beers.) The BB Black Chocolate was a good choice, over 10% abv, sharp on the toungue, contrasted well by the smooth, cold ice cream. With the ice cream mixed in well, it develops a deep frothy brown color, would be excellent sipped on the couch in front of the tv watching a movie. Highly recommended dessert, experiment and make your own recipe!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    DD provided the dessert last night. We had several wonderful after hours beverages to choose from, notably cl15876's chocolatinis and caramel appletinis. But since this is Ymm, beer, we have to stay on topic. Devildeac showed us all what the famous (or infamous) beer float is about, and I'm sold. Based with Brooklyn Brewery's excellent (but not for everyone) Black Chocolate Stout, holding in suspension vanilla ice cream. Once the ice cream had had a chance to settle out and mix into the beer, this treat was a pleasant surprise. The beer is the key ingredient. I'm pretty sure it would not work nearly as well in a glass of Corona, so I'd suggest any quality dark beer. I bet the ice cream would go great in a Saranac Caramel porter. (One of my favorite beers.) The BB Black Chocolate was a good choice, over 10% abv, sharp on the toungue, contrasted well by the smooth, cold ice cream. With the ice cream mixed in well, it develops a deep frothy brown color, would be excellent sipped on the couch in front of the tv watching a movie. Highly recommended dessert, experiment and make your own recipe!
    I'm glad you and DD enjoyed the Duvel. It was a bit bitter for my taste.

I loved the beer float! I would think that a Mic Dark would also work well for this.

9F 9F 9F

I loved the beer float! I would think that a Mic Dark would also work well for this.
    For a lager, I bet you are right. And chocolate ice cream instead of vanilla would be tasty too.

During our after-Miami-game adventures at DevilDeac's house, Ozzie gifted us with a large bottle of Duvel. One of the companies he does business with had passed out bottles of French wine to everyone, but they had a heads up that he preferred the better alcoholic beverage and gave him the bottle which he graciously shared with us. It is a top notch Belgian ale, comparable in quality only to Chimay. From what I remember it had a nice soft head with great retention, properly bottled with cork and not a cap. A very light golden color, a little bitter, and so slightly fruity. Up there in the alcohol content too.
    Right now I'm enjoying one of my favorite ales of all time, Ommegang's Abbey Ale. I've reviewed it here before. I've just noticed on the side of the label it says "Part of the Duvel family of fine ales". On each brewer's site, ommegang.com and duvelusa.com, there is no mention of the other. I haven't found the tie noted in Google searches either. Anyone know how the two are related?
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...54/ai_98124081

Ommegang is a great ale..as is Hennepin. I found a store nearby that sells each in 12oz (or maybe 11.2) 4 packs which works out better for me on an average night--and following morning..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...54/ai_98124081

Ommegang is a great ale..as is Hennepin. I found a store nearby that sells each in 12oz (or maybe 11.2) 4 packs which works out better for me on an average night--and following morning..
    Thanks BB, good read at that link too.

I am pretty sure Duvel (Moortgat?) purchased the Ommegang brewery several years ago. Try their Three Philosophers and Rare Vos, too. Excellent representations of the true Belgian style ales.

DFH Red & White

Had a glass of this last night and will probably have another tonight. It's styled as a blended wheat beer with pinot noir juice added. 11% of the beer is aged in pinot noir barrels, while the remaining 89% in oak barrel staves. After the aging process, the two batches are blended and bottled. It sounds gimmicky, but, then again, I'm not a brewmaster.

I poured the beer into a white wine glass, which practically eliminates any head, but is probably the best glassware choice. It smells exactly like a wheat beer--lots of grass, orange, and coriander. The flavor starts like a normal wheat, but finishes like a pinot noir. It's very fruity and jammy (blackberries and raspberries, especially). Also, this another DFH beer that isn't too boozy. In fact, the alcohol (over 10%) is well hidden.

Schlafly Reserve 2007 Barleywine-finally enjoyed this outstanding brew after a year in the cellar. Got another one over the Christmas season from the Lavabe's which I'll enjoy next year.

Fairly typical barleywine with tons of hops but the maltiness wins with the pleasant tastes of candy and brown sugar flavors. The aroma and palate of dried oranges and apricots are hinted at with a mild oaky/woody finish as this has been aged in oak whiskey barrels. 750 ml bottle. It is 10.2% ABV so this was a cork and finish the 2nd night beverage. Sip this one as a dessert at slightly chilled temps from a brandy snifter, by itself or perhaps with some candied pecans.

Lagunitas Olde GnarlyWine

I finally made it to our Total Wine store for a bunch of interesting beer. The first was a bomber of Olde GnarlyWine from Lagunitas Brewing. My girlfriend and I sipped it over an hour or so starting at refrigerator temperature trying to identify all the flavors. Cold, it has an amazing combination of tastes including sweet malt, fruits (orange and raisins), citrus, floral, and a fairly bitter hop finish. Once it warmed up a little, you get an almost overwhelming bready/cookie dough impression with no floral, citrus or bitterness. A very interesting brew.

For all you beer and/or chocolate lovers out there, in addition to recent attendees at the winter Brunchgate dinner and dessert/drink evening, I present:

"Nothing says love like chocolate and beer"

http://www.indyweek.com/gyrobase/Con...d=oid%3A279839

Enjoy

My favorite part is the 3rd paragraph from the end...
    Last edited by devildeac; 02-09-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Pre Duke-unc Women's game, drinking Heavy Seas Peg Leg Imperial Stout. A DD trade, this is a good light stout. Bitter, nice chocolate tones, a slight hint of raisin. Very low head, great black color. Good one to watch Carolina Go To Hell. 8%ABV GO DUKE!!!

Storage...

Any tips for the best way to store unfinished bombers or 750mls? Just cork them in stick them in the fridge? With a new baby, I've been shying away from buying many big beers but my local source has so many good options right now..