Page 62 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364721121625621062 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Nothing aging for the Miami game?

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    I wish, the scotch ale will have only been in the bottle for a week. I'll have had some, but I wouldn't want to expose it to the masses yet.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Many of the Avery products are available in NC. I am not sure I have ever seen Mephistopheles (sp?), however. Getting NB products here would be wonderful.
    YAY!!!! I just found a specialty beer and wine store that I never knew existed, so now I have a local supplier of lots to choose from. I picked a 6 of Avery's White Rascal (belgian wheat) to try tonite. Also on the way home I went to the regular store to pick up some less pricey suds, and they had Budweiser American Ale...I've never seen it before. Drinking it now, it's a decent amber, better than I expected for a mass production brewery. Pretty good flavor up front, but watery on the backside.

ymm, beer

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale-2005-Smoother after about 3 years of being "cellared." Robust hops and tons of malt. Tobacco and licorice tastes. Slightly cloudy after 3 years but not skunky or spoiled. IBU about 90 according to a link RMD provided recently. 9.6% ABV and it tastes every bit of it. Not for the faint of tongue.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine Ale-2005-Smoother after about 3 years of being "cellared."
    At my place "cellared" means lost. I love discovering "cellared" beer. I haven't lived anywhere long enough yet in the last decade to cellar my brews for 3 years yet.

Awesome...Mr. ESPN...I've got to sit on being Bilas for the night, too cool. Night folks, yay Jay!

ymm, beer

Bigfoot-2006 vintage-don't notice too much different 'tween the '05 and the '06. Bursting with hops, slight cloying sweetness with tons of malty goodness-probably caramel malts. Brutal for the uninitiated but enjoyable for the true "hopheads."

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    WOW. If you have a liquor store that sells this beer, go tomorrow and buy a bottle. At $9 a pop, it's a steal. The 120-Minute refers to how long the beer is hopped while boiling, but it could just easily refer to how long it will take you to finish a pint. I'm not quite at the 2 hour mark, and I have a quarter of a glass left.

Beer pours a beautiful ruby red with an off-white head that quickly evaporates. The nose is hoppy; very sweet and floral. There is no grapefruit, cannabis, or pine (so, my guess is they aren't using Cascade hops) like I expected. The smell also burns your nose with alcohol. The flavor follows suit. Sweet and sour with a whole host of fruit--apples, oranges, raisins. I'm not sure what makes this an IIPA instead of a strong ale, but, to be honest, its flavors are that of a good autumn beer, and it warms like a winter ale. Ordinarily I would pair PAs and IPAs with spciy food (Mexican, Indian, Thai) but not this beer. It's an after-dinner drink. Oh yeah, it's 21% ABV and it doesn't even try to hide it.
    Searched for a while to find this review to refresh my memory after my 2 night enjoyment of a bottle of this.

120 Minute IPA-Dogfish Head-WOW-It has been several years since enjoying one of these but it won't be that long again. I got a bargain on this and "only" paid 7.99 for a 12 ounce bottle. Took me 2 nights to savor it. Mine poured an orange-red color and was slightly cloudy. Interesting difference with me-I tasted fresh squeezed grapefruit and rind with this. Also thought about fresh OJ with tons of pulp and rind. Some cloves and sherry notes, too. Heavenly floral aroma. Slighly burns the nose and palate with its 20+% ABV. Took about an hour to enjoy a 6 ounce portion. I did find this in a couple stores over the last few months and stockpiled about 6 bottles (well, 5 now), along with some World Wide Stout and a bottle of Raison D'Extra-Lavabe got the 2nd bottle of this. The 120 variety probably should have a new designation of an IIIPA or a Triple IPA.

Searched for a while to find this review to refresh my memory after my 2 night enjoyment of a bottle of this.

120 Minute IPA-Dogfish Head-WOW-It has been several years since enjoying one of these but it won't be that long again. I got a bargain on this and "only" paid 7.99 for a 12 ounce bottle. Took me 2 nights to savor it. Mine poured an orange-red color and was slightly cloudy. Interesting difference with me-I tasted fresh squeezed grapefruit and rind with this. Also thought about fresh OJ with tons of pulp and rind. Some cloves and sherry notes, too. Heavenly floral aroma. Slighly burns the nose and palate with its 20+% ABV. Took about an hour to enjoy a 6 ounce portion. I did find this in a couple stores over the last few months and stockpiled about 6 bottles (well, 5 now), along with some World Wide Stout and a bottle of Raison D'Extra-Lavabe got the 2nd bottle of this. The 120 variety probably should have a new designation of an IIIPA or a Triple IPA.
    I actually think we had similar experiences. Very floral and fruity, especially orange flavors. I didn't get the grapefruit on the nose, and got some autumn fruit flavor, but a lot of the same. If I can find a bottle or two around here I'll pick some up and re-taste in light of your review. If not, it'll be until Xmas when I can tap into my dad's stockpiles.

Hopefully the 2008 Beast later tonight and a review to follow. I'll also be picking up a bomber of the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine after reading the devildeac review from earlier this week. Never had it, but looking forward to it.

ymm, beer

I actually think we had similar experiences. Very floral and fruity, especially orange flavors. I didn't get the grapefruit on the nose, and got some autumn fruit flavor, but a lot of the same. If I can find a bottle or two around here I'll pick some up and re-taste in light of your review. If not, it'll be until Xmas when I can tap into my dad's stockpiles.

Hopefully the 2008 Beast later tonight and a review to follow. I'll also be picking up a bomber of the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine after reading the devildeac review from earlier this week. Never had it, but looking forward to it.
    I have never, ever seen bombers of the Bigfoot. I have probably bought a 6er every year for the last 10 years. I doubt you'll find any now as the 2008 edition should be long gone from stores now and the 2009 release will not be out until at least January, 2009. I have seen it appear at our stores as late as February or March. I have several singles of the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 stored for enjoyment over the next several years.

I have never, ever seen bombers of the Bigfoot. I have probably bought a 6er every year for the last 10 years. I doubt you'll find any now as the 2008 edition should be long gone from stores now and the 2009 release will not be out until at least January, 2009. I have seen it appear at our stores as late as February or March. I have several singles of the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 stored for enjoyment over the next several years.
    I've seen it recently. White label? Maybe it was a 6er, but I wonder what the SN bombers I see are (Harvest maybe?).

ymm, beer

I've seen it recently. White label? Maybe it was a 6er, but I wonder what the SN bombers I see are (Harvest maybe?).
    It's either the Harvest, which I had this summer, or an anniversary ale. They release their Celebration Ale as one of their seasonals every November or perhaps December. It's a rather hoppy, bite-y, IPA which I like a lot and I bet you would also.

It's either the Harvest, which I had this summer, or an anniversary ale. They release their Celebration Ale as one of their seasonals every November or perhaps December. It's a rather hoppy, bite-y, IPA which I like a lot and I bet you would also.
    I've never met a super-hoppy beer that I didn't like.

I've never met a super-hoppy beer that I didn't like.
    Why doesn't that surprise me?

Tonight I finished a 12-oz bottle of the Beast that I enjoyed last night while trying really hard to enjoy the Steelers-Brown game (what a boring game...and I'm a Steeler fan). Not sure if too much changed after opening and corking, but I'm posting on my thoughts from tonight.

The beer pours a deep red and has quite a bit of head, although, as expected, it doesn't last long. Lots of dark, dried fruit on the nose--cherries, dates, raisins--and a very sweet smell. The flavor is burnt sugar which fades into caramel (I know, caramel is burnt sugar, but there's a difference here; the caramel in the beer is much creamier than it is in the beginning). ABV is 16.5%, so this is a beer to be shared or split into two nights.
    Just finished an actual glass of 2008 Beast (the one reviewed above was a 2007).

Primarily the same, with a few minor changes to the review. On the nose it's a little brighter in terms of the fruit--as much orange as the dark fruits. Flavor is pretty much as described above with a bit of the dried fruit. Also, we often talk about how a beer finishes but sometimes determining when the flavor goes from the "start" to the "finish" can be tough (at least for me). There is no problem making that distinction here. You can literally feel the change from the fruity/sugar start to the caramel/toffee finish. Kind of a weird experience. As expected, this is a sipper--both because of the high ABV and the fact that the flavor changes so dramatically from cold to warm.

Why doesn't that surprise me?
    I almost said I never met a beer I didn't like but then I remembered a cookout in the park and a cooler of nothing but Miller Chill

...which reminds me, I actually saw someone order the Bud-Clamato beer last weekend.

A challenge...

I would like to discuss beer/alcohol combinations. Not drinks like Boiler Makers (ymmm) or Irish Car Bombs (sacrilege), but separate beverages that compliment each other. I'll start, and then see where we go from there...

My all-time favorite (courtesy of my best friend since 6th grade and drummer extraordinaire) Guinness and a Gimlet. I prefer Vodka Gimlets over the traditional Gin because Gin is Satan's Juice. I think this is a great combo... sip of Gimlet, sharp and tart, and a nice draw off a pint of Guinness finishes pleasantly bitter and smooth, instantly killing the tart. Drink it!

ymm, beer

I almost said I never met a beer I didn't like but then I remembered a cookout in the park and a cooler of nothing but Miller Chill

...which reminds me, I actually saw someone order the Bud-Clamato beer last weekend.
    1. life is too short for cheap/bad beer (also see "rules of life" thread)
    2. your 2nd comment belongs on the old "ychh, beer" thread

ymm, beer

Coming events:

1. Schlafly Oktoberfest
    2. Schlafly Oatmeal Stout
    3. New Glarus Wisconsin Red
    4. New Glarus Raspberry Tart
    5. Fat Tire bomber

All delivered yesterday by a woman who has now become my favorite patient after her 4500 mile journey along the Mississippi River and adjacent zip codes in August and September.

Curious to know how the Raspberry is, flavored beers are hit and miss for me.

Mid boil now on the Dunkel Weiss, no bottling yet for the scotch since it's still fermenting. I'm in no rush if it isn't. Damn I love the smell of hops on the boil.

As expected, this is a sipper--both because of the high ABV and the fact that the flavor changes so dramatically from cold to warm.
    I've got to look that one up. The reason beer is low ABV is because alcohol will kill the yeast producing it, even if the sugars are there to still feed the yeast, so I'm curious to know how they brew it. 16 is even way above wine yeasts.

Smile The right donuts

Coming events:

1. Schlafly Oktoberfest
    2. Schlafly Oatmeal Stout
    3. New Glarus Wisconsin Red
    4. New Glarus Raspberry Tart
    5. Fat Tire bomber

All delivered yesterday by a woman who has now become my favorite patient after her 4500 mile journey along the Mississippi River and adjacent zip codes in August and September.
    The first two are no problem to get here in UK-land.

FWIW, I just found Pumpkin Cake donuts. They probably pair fairly nicely with the Schlafly Pumpkin Ale.

Cheers,
    Lavabe