Page 143 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 43931331411421431441451531932436431143 ... LastLast
Results 2,841 to 2,860 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Happy National Beer Day!

Glad to see Duke men's lacrosse squeaked one out over Marist.

Nothing new to report really, but celebrating National Beer Day ( who comes up with this stuff anyway?) with a Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF and a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (so far).

Happy Beer Day everyone!

Had a Ruthless Rye after coming off the river kayaking, then a Peg Leg Imperial Stout while the kids swam.

Nice glass or two of Austalian Layers white blend wine with roast chicken dinner watching the Masters, looking forward to a nice single malt (Balvenie Double Wood) when the kids go to bed.

Ah, what a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Had a Ruthless Rye after coming off the river kayaking, then a Peg Leg Imperial Stout while the kids swam.

Nice glass or two of Austalian Layers white blend wine with roast chicken dinner watching the Masters, looking forward to a nice single malt (Balvenie Double Wood) when the kids go to bed.

Ah, what a weekend.
    And you can remember?

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Glad to see Duke men's lacrosse squeaked one out over Marist.

Nothing new to report really, but celebrating National Beer Day ( who comes up with this stuff anyway?) with a Dogfish Head Saison du BUFF and a Sierra Nevada Hoptimum (so far).

Happy Beer Day everyone!
    Dang, fuse is correct. Gives me another reason to celebrate tonight:

http://www.northjersey.com/food_dini..._Beer_Day.html

I did not know this and it almost snuck by me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Koko Brown-Kona Brewing

Almond Joy alert! I must say that I have never had a coconut flavored beer and leave it to my drug rep buddy to provide this brown ale made with toasted coconut. It started with a clear, light brown pour and a rather small head. The scent of coconut is barely perceptible but becomes very prominent with the first sip. That, along with milk chocolate and hints of caramel and toffee, left me alternately thinking that I was drinking my Almond Joy for the week. There is slight hop bitterness, typical for most brown ales, and the IBU is 28. Good beer to have with sweet BBQ sauce basted ribs or chicken or as part of a dessert session as the ABV is 5.5%. Heck I'd love to find one of these in my trick or treat bag on Halloween this year .

139127.jpg

Oskar Blues Mama's Little Yella Pils

Oskar Blues is famous for a few things. Chief among them is bringing cans to the forefront of the craft brewing movement, which has resulted in some of the biggest craft breweries (Sierra Nevada and New Belgium) to begin canning their beers.
    Dale's Pale Ale is their most recognized brew, and an outstanding pale ale. All their beers are quite tasty, including G'Knight (originally named Gordon, but Gordon Biersch requested they rename the beer.), and Gubna.

But, I digress. Mama's Little Yella Pils (LYP hereafter) is Oskar Blues pilsner. It pours a pale straw gold with a thin head. The nose is very malty. There is mild bitterness on the tongue but the finish is also pretty malty without being sweet. This is an all day session beer, and would make an excellent lawn mower beer. This is also a great craft beer introduction as ( and I mean this in the best possible sense) it is very similar to a macro brew lager.

Key contrasts between LYP and something like Sam Adams Noble Pils or Victory Prima Pils is the lack of an aggressive hop profile. This is a classic, highly rated pilsner. It's not cheap at $9/ six pack, but it is among my "go to" canned summer time brewster take to the pool.

If you don't understand all the fuss about craft beer, and prefer Bud, Miller, Corona, etc this might be a beer that could open your eyes. Try it, you'll like it!

Oskar Blues is famous for a few things. Chief among them is bringing cans to the forefront of the craft brewing movement, which has resulted in some of the biggest craft breweries (Sierra Nevada and New Belgium) to begin canning their beers.
    Dale's Pale Ale is their most recognized brew, and an outstanding pale ale. All their beers are quite tasty, including G'Knight (originally named Gordon, but Gordon Biersch requested they rename the beer.), and Gubna.

But, I digress. Mama's Little Yella Pils (LYP hereafter) is Oskar Blues pilsner. It pours a pale straw gold with a thin head. The nose is very malty. There is mild bitterness on the tongue but the finish is also pretty malty without being sweet. This is an all day session beer, and would make an excellent lawn mower beer. This is also a great craft beer introduction as ( and I mean this in the best possible sense) it is very similar to a macro brew lager.

Key contrasts between LYP and something like Sam Adams Noble Pils or Victory Prima Pils is the lack of an aggressive hop profile. This is a classic, highly rated pilsner. It's not cheap at $9/ six pack, but it is among my "go to" canned summer time brewster take to the pool.

If you don't understand all the fuss about craft beer, and prefer Bud, Miller, Corona, etc this might be a beer that could open your eyes. Try it, you'll like it!
    I haven't had one of these in a couple years. Here's a combo review lifted from the brewer and my own feeble musings from July, 2010:

Mama's Little Yella Pils-Oskar Blues Brewing

Not much better description than this:

Oskar Blues’ newest beer is an uncompromising, small-batch version of the beer that made Pilsen, Czech Republic famous. Unlike mass market “pilsners” diluted with corn & rice, Mama’s is built with 100% pale malt, German specialty malts, and Bavarian hops. While it’s rich with Czeched-out flavor, its gentle hopping (35 IBUs) and low ABV (just 5.3%) make it a luxurious but low-dose (by Oskar Blues standards) refresher.

Light and refreshing with light caramel and floral aromas and flavors. A very pleasant session brew to be sipped with appetizers or non-spicy chicken or fish dishes. Enjoyable summer brew.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to have to find a 6er of these with the hot NC summer looming.

Belgian Session-Boston Brewing Company

I received this as a trader from a drug rep a couple weeks ago and, with the advent of warm weather last week, decided to sip one and was pleasantly surprised. I believe it was from a mixed Sam Adams spring 12 pack. Poured a light golden yellow with a small head and a bouquet of fresh flowers. There are mild tastes of citrus, apples and pears with a dash of black pepper from the Belgian yeasts used. Bitterness is quite subdued, guessing an ABV of 20 and the minor toffee and caramel flavors from the lighter malted grains clock this in at a bit anemic ABV of 4.25%. The benefit of the low ABV is that it is truly a session brew and could double (or triple ) as a lawn mower brew. As fuse suggests with the Little Yellow Pils and another one of his reviews, some of these lighter brews with real flavor might change the minds of some lite beer fans.

165634.jpg

New Belgium Shift

I looked back because I thought devildeac had already reviewed Shift, but the look back revealed it was Dig, not Shift. Now I really want to find some NB Dig but I fear I have missed it.

Dig is advertised as New Belgium's end of shift beer for their staff, and at 5%, seems like a reasonable offering.
    Available in 16oz tall boy cans, this pale lager actually pours a deeper gold than expected.

The nose is citrus, maybe lemongrass. The head pours thinly but lingers for some time. Initially, the beer is lightly malty sweet, mid palate is a zesty grapefruit happiness. The end, somewhat surprisingly, is almost astringently bitter. Shift features a New Zealand hop, Nelson Sauvin, that I think is the source of the lemongrass and grapefruit notes. What the finishing hop is, I don't know, but it is a bit discordant for an otherwise pretty nice beer. The twang is somewhat reminiscent of their famous Fat Tire, but slightly different.

I've got 3 more left in the four pack, so that leaves some room for a few more tastings and changing my opinion. Overall, Shift is a fine brew but I can think of other lagers I'd enjoy more in its place. I hope it grows on me. Shift is definitely worth trying. The motto on the bottle is "when your work is done, you'll want one."

I looked back because I thought devildeac had already reviewed Shift, but the look back revealed it was Dig, not Shift. Now I really want to find some NB Dig but I fear I have missed it.

Dig is advertised as New Belgium's end of shift beer for their staff, and at 5%, seems like a reasonable offering.
    Available in 16oz tall boy cans, this pale lager actually pours a deeper gold than expected.

The nose is citrus, maybe lemongrass. The head pours thinly but lingers for some time. Initially, the beer is lightly malty sweet, mid palate is a zesty grapefruit happiness. The end, somewhat surprisingly, is almost astringently bitter. Shift features a New Zealand hop, Nelson Sauvin, that I think is the source of the lemongrass and grapefruit notes. What the finishing hop is, I don't know, but it is a bit discordant for an otherwise pretty nice beer. The twang is somewhat reminiscent of their famous Fat Tire, but slightly different.

I've got 3 more left in the four pack, so that leaves some room for a few more tastings and changing my opinion. Overall, Shift is a fine brew but I can think of other lagers I'd enjoy more in its place. I hope it grows on me. Shift is definitely worth trying. The motto on the bottle is "when your work is done, you'll want one."
    Good stuff. The Nelson Sauvin hop was in another brew I had recently and I think it was Dig. Now I want to find a 6er of Shift and wish you luck finding some Dig. (Hint: I saw it at Harris Teeter and/or Food Lion recently in addition to Total Wine today as I purchased yet some more ales I did not need.) See next post.

Slam Dunkel-Weyerbacher Brewing

(Maybe this belongs on the EK Forum.)

Some of the guys in marketing earn their salaries in hops and malts by thinking of these names. As the name suggests, this is a dunkel, but not just any dunkel but a double dunkelweizen which means it is a dark wheat ale with probably twice the amount of malts with a significant amount of darkly roasted wheat in addition to the usual suspects of pale, caramel and chocolate malts (from their web site). The wheat malt here lends the typical flavors of banana and cloves with hints or orange and milk chocolate. Hop presence is subdued and I'd guess the IBU to be about 20 and the ABV on the bottle is 7% so you can enjoy more than one relatively safely or taste another Weyerbacher brew like we did tonight before dinner with another couple. This made a nice sipper with some homemade pimento cheese spread and boiled shrimp with a spicy cocktail sauce. Certainly worth the $9 for the 4 pack as I have a couple to share/trade and another to enjoy by myself later this spring.

slam-dunkel-242x300.jpg

Fireside Ale-Weyerbacher Brewing

This was a pleasant match with dinner tonight which consisted of grilled/spiced chicken, ensalata caprese, grilled asparagus and pan roasted/fried/grilled potatoes. Poured a clear brown with a small head and slight aromas of dark caramel and toffee and distinctive smokey tastes. Basically a brown ale which has had the malts smoked before brewing. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 with minimal hop presence and also some nutty flavors, too. ABV is 7.5% so I split this and the Slam Dunkel with as friend before dinner. This 4 pack was also worth the $9 so I have 3 leftovers to share/trade later this spring.

95529.jpg

This may have been the original incantation of this ale from their Brewer's Select series several years ago, none of which I have ever tasted.

charlie-242x300.jpg

Testing the Wankerizer bug on Safari/iPad

Beer
    Looking for opinions from the knowledable.
    Question revolves around Black & Tan's
    A friend swears by pre bottled Black & Tan's most noteably
    from a PA brewery,Yuengling.

My preferenceis the Bass poured then Guiness Draught poured over a spoon.
    But I wouldn't turn either down.
    Not that there is necessarily a right or wrong answer, but I am interested in various opinions.

I did start to sort through the thread to see if this was discussed before,
    So if this is an old topic, my apologies in advance.
    Last edited by devil84; 04-16-2012 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed the wankerizer text due to Safari/iPad bug
    Let's go DUKE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Beer

Not that there is necessarily a right or wrong answer, but I am interested in various opinions.

Not sure if I would qualify myself as knowledgable in the various "Guinness and" drinks like a Black and Tan, Black Velvet (Guinness/Champagne), Snakebite (Guinnes/Cider), etc but I think you'll find varied opinions (insert opinions are like ....everyone has one euphemism here).

I find Yuengling Black and Tan to be a decent enough beer, but I think people go for the Guinness mixed drinks for two reasons. First, the presentation is generally spectacular, and fun to watch someone drink it. Second is, if you are not a big stout drinker, it gives you the opportunity to finish with something a bit lighter in flavour.

I think the "Black and" drinks are fun and have their place. Once you start mixing beers or making beer cocktails, there's probably no wrong answer, although some brewers might disagree.

One of the best things about beer is you have so many options- drink what you like!

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    Beer

I generally don't like beer "cocktails" but, then again, I like some beers with "additives" like Frambozen, Aprihop, chocolate/cocoa stouts, vanilla porters, etc. My favorite beer "cocktail" is a beer float, but I think I have only made 2 in my life. One with a scoop of Breyer's vanilla ice cream in about 6 ounces of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (I drank the remaining 6 ounces plain after the beer float.) and the other was Breyer's vanilla again in about 6 ounces of Fort Collins Double Chocolate Stout. Yummy.

Coffee/toffee or almond ice creams would probably make a nice combination with porters. I have even thought about some dark brown ales with a scoop of ice cream.

Hellhound on My Ale-Dogfish Head

Yet another iteration of an imperial IPA. This was brewed as a tribute to Robert Johnson who would have been 100 years old last year (see brewer's notes below), just as they did a couple years ago as a tribute to the 40th anniversary of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew, Miles Davis' legendary recording. Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a moderate head. They tried to get just about everything to "100" as the brewer's notes also describe but missed it on the IBU with a final number of 58 which is somewhat less than you would expect from a typical IIPA. This actually makes it a bit more drinkable as the mild grapefruity/citrus notes blend very nicely with the added lemon zest and flesh (again, from brewer's notes). There is a solid malt backbone for balance with medium caramel and toffee tones and a final ABV of 10.0% relegating this 750 ml capped bottle to a two night tasting. This would be fine with hot, spicy foods (Chinese, Indian) or as an after dinner drink from a snifter and served at about 50-60 degrees. I actually bought this myself but couldn't find anyone to share it with so I twisted my own arms to divide it over a couple evenings.

From the DFH writers:

2011 would have marked the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson, who according to legend, sold his soul down at the crossroads in a midnight bargain and changed music forever.

Working again with our friends at Sony Legacy (yup, the same folks we did our Miles Davis-inspired I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew with), Dogfish Head paid tribute to this blues legend by gettin' the hellhounds off his trail and into this finely-crafted ale.

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

142907.jpg

Derf's Secret Alt-Boston Beer Company

This is one of the winners from the Longshot home brewing competition that Sam Adams revived several years ago. Also known as a Sticke Alt, or, with this brew, better characterized as a Doppelsticke, it has typical altbier features in its medium brown appearance, generous maltiness yielding an ABV of 9.3% and prominent flavors of medium to dark caramel and milk chocolate. Bitterness is a bit more apparent than I expected and there are subtle citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. This would make a nice beverage with grilled items with a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce or to accompany a dessert of blondies, oatmeal raisin cookies or apple crisp with a cinnamon-pecan topping.

155874.jpg

I'm sipping A Dark Night in Munich as I type .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hellhound on My Ale-Dogfish Head

Yet another iteration of an imperial IPA. This was brewed as a tribute to Robert Johnson who would have been 100 years old last year (see brewer's notes below), just as they did a couple years ago as a tribute to the 40th anniversary of I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew, Miles Davis' legendary recording. Pours a cloudy orange yellow with a moderate head. They tried to get just about everything to "100" as the brewer's notes also describe but missed it on the IBU with a final number of 58 which is somewhat less than you would expect from a typical IIPA. This actually makes it a bit more drinkable as the mild grapefruity/citrus notes blend very nicely with the added lemon zest and flesh (again, from brewer's notes). There is a solid malt backbone for balance with medium caramel and toffee tones and a final ABV of 10.0% relegating this 750 ml capped bottle to a two night tasting. This would be fine with hot, spicy foods (Chinese, Indian) or as an after dinner drink from a snifter and served at about 50-60 degrees. I actually bought this myself but couldn't find anyone to share it with so I twisted my own arms to divide it over a couple evenings.

From the DFH writers:

2011 would have marked the 100th birthday of Mississippi Delta bluesman Robert Johnson, who according to legend, sold his soul down at the crossroads in a midnight bargain and changed music forever.

Working again with our friends at Sony Legacy (yup, the same folks we did our Miles Davis-inspired I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.es Brew with), Dogfish Head paid tribute to this blues legend by gettin' the hellhounds off his trail and into this finely-crafted ale.

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

142907.jpg
    Its been probably a year since I had Hellhound on my Ale, and last time it was "randallized" at Tylers with I can't remember what. I still have a bottle I am holding on to. My memory aligns with your impressions above- eminently drinkable for a high alcohol beer.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Derf's Secret Alt-Boston Beer Company

This is one of the winners from the Longshot home brewing competition that Sam Adams revived several years ago. Also known as a Sticke Alt, or, with this brew, better characterized as a Doppelsticke, it has typical altbier features in its medium brown appearance, generous maltiness yielding an ABV of 9.3% and prominent flavors of medium to dark caramel and milk chocolate. Bitterness is a bit more apparent than I expected and there are subtle citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. This would make a nice beverage with grilled items with a sweet and tangy BBQ sauce or to accompany a dessert of blondies, oatmeal raisin cookies or apple crisp with a cinnamon-pecan topping.

155874.jpg

I'm sipping A Dark Night in Munich as I type .
    Been a long time since I have sought out Longshot brews. I have one remaining 1996 Longshot Hazelnut Brown in the fridge that might just be one of the best beers I've ever had. Its been in the fridge the whole time, but this was not a beer that was mean to be cellared, so I am unsure of what I will get if/when I ever crack it open.

I love the Longshot idea and applaud BBC for doing it.

Its been probably a year since I had Hellhound on my Ale, and last time it was "randallized" at Tylers with I can't remember what. I still have a bottle I am holding on to. My memory aligns with your impressions above- eminently drinkable for a high alcohol beer.
    You are correct, sir. Frighteningly quaffable for a high gravity beverage. Yours should be even better after another year of cellaring.