Page 93 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 438391929394951031431935931093 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    We had no room in the car. I mean it. Traveling with Georgia, LL, and ILJ means very little space.

Perhaps it'll go west when the devildeacs next visit us?
    Bottles of beer fit nicely in socks which fit nicely in suitcases

Post the Portland bracket and we would have no worries about ever falling back to page 2.

FWIW, just found an interesting brew from Maine.
    1. Today. Along with several liquid holiday treat musings.

2. Geary? (or is that NH?) Allagash? Hopefully not one of the sea dog brews.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Today. Along with several liquid holiday treat musings.

2. Geary? (or is that NH?) Allagash? Hopefully not one of the sea dog brews.
    I adore Allagash White. Ymmmmm. That's my favorite beer when I go the Federal on Main St in Durham.

Smile We have a winner!

Quote Originally Posted by DukePA View Post
    I adore Allagash White. Ymmmmm. That's my favorite beer when I go the Federal on Main St in Durham.
    Ding ding ding!! It is Allagash White.

Check out the Avery I picked up in Atlanta:
    http://www.averybrewing.com/BigBeers...tLitigationAle

Cheers,
    Lavabe

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Yee ha! I am so psyched, the Homebrew Haus in New Bern carries Avery. I must, must, must make a field trip there after work one day.

Haven't had one in several years but remember it fondly. You should try some of the "specialty" Allagash brews. Think Chimay-like in quality and tastes. (and price, too!)

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Once again, suggesting a brew that RMD has reviewed (I think) that I have never tried 'cuz I got too darn many in the garage/cellar awaiting consumption already. (think I'll go out this afternoon and look for a bomber to try next week)

Yee ha! I am so psyched, the Homebrew Haus in New Bern carries Avery. I must, must, must make a field trip there after work one day.
    Don't forget the following:

Czar-you had some at BG4 but don't remember 'cuz you had too many mimosas and Chimay sips already

Maharaja-LOTS and LOTS of hops

Salvation-also enjoyed at BG4 (IIRC)

Hog Heaven

The Reverend

Check their web site to see a few I am sure I ommitted.

Don't forget the following:

Czar-you had some at BG4 but don't remember 'cuz you had too many mimosas and Chimay sips already

Maharaja-LOTS and LOTS of hops

Salvation-also enjoyed at BG4 (IIRC)

Hog Heaven

The Reverend

Check their web site to see a few I am sure I ommitted.

I definitely will. It will be nice to sample with a clear brain

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Went to the brewshop today, and Lowe's to get the rest of my hardware for my mash/lauter tuns. At the brewshop I picked up 10lbs of grain to brew a Smokey IPA. The recipe sounds interesting, so we'll see in a few weeks how it is. Bottling my AltBier tonight, brewing the IPA tomorrow.
    I bought a Magic Hat holiday sampler on my way out, but so far none of the beers are worth posting about. Dissapointing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Went to the brewshop today, and Lowe's to get the rest of my hardware for my mash/lauter tuns. At the brewshop I picked up 10lbs of grain to brew a Smokey IPA. The recipe sounds interesting, so we'll see in a few weeks how it is. Bottling my AltBier tonight, brewing the IPA tomorrow.
    I bought a Magic Hat holiday sampler on my way out, but so far none of the beers are worth posting about. Dissapointing.
    Or you could put them on the old "ycch, beer" thread. You could also post them here with instructions to avoid these beers.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Or you could put them on the old "ycch, beer" thread. You could also post them here with instructions to avoid these beers.
    They aren't ycch material, just not post worthy.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thumbs up Mishawaka Four Horsemen Irish Style Red Ale

Four Horsemen-Irish Style Red Ale-Mishawaka Brewing Company-another good session beer. Similar to Killian's. Reddish-brown, pretty balanced hops and caramel malt for smoothness. No sweetness. 5% ABV. One of the many selected by Lavabe after his conference in South Bend last weekend. A nice choice.
    I never put in a review of this.

This is very smooth, with low IBUs (low bitterness). Agree on the color. Low-mild hoppiness, and a very easy drink at low alcohol.

I agree with the devildeac's review to a letter. It's an easy beer to drink, and might qualify for throaty's lawnmower collection.

One of these before a bball game would be very nice.

Ymm, Beer:

Thumbs up Schlafly No. 15 Ale

Oh yeah!

This is a non-seasonal seasonal beer. In other words, it's not a Christmas Ale, but it has all the elements of one. Orange/amber color, medium cloudiness, mild carbonation, low head. Orangey, spicy nose, with a hint of wheat. Initial taste: Low bitterness, highly fruity (orange rind?), mild malt/low hop. Cloves/nutmeg/cinnamon burst in mid-taste. Aftertaste is crisp, with a slight hint of hops and wheat beer taste. This was tasted three months after bottling date (September).

I know I have said I don't care for Christmas Ales. Technically, this is NOT a Christmas Ale; but it spreads elements of that taste during other times of the year, when a little Christmas isn't all that bad.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2

Oh yeah!

This is a non-seasonal seasonal beer. In other words, it's not a Christmas Ale, but it has all the elements of one. Orange/amber color, medium cloudiness, mild carbonation, low head. Orangey, spicy nose, with a hint of wheat. Initial taste: Low bitterness, highly fruity (orange rind?), mild malt/low hop. Cloves/nutmeg/cinnamon burst in mid-taste. Aftertaste is crisp, with a slight hint of hops and wheat beer taste. This was tasted three months after bottling date (September).

I know I have said I don't care for Christmas Ales. Technically, this is NOT a Christmas Ale; but it spreads elements of that taste during other times of the year, when a little Christmas isn't all that bad.

Ymm, Beer: 1/2
    If you liked this, you should try the Aventinus which is a German weizen double bock. I think you'd also like the Victory weizen bock, called Moonglow, IIRC.

Wisconsin Red-New Glarus-If this isn't the best fruit beer in the world, then I know which one is and I'll talk about that one a bit later this evening. Reddish-brown and a pungent nose of fresh cherries. Can't figure out whether the "base" beer is a light brown ale or a darker wheat ale. My bet would be on the latter as it is rather opaque and cloudy. Doesn't really matter as the combination is sensational. Very much like any Belgian kriek/lambic. Moderately sweet with a hint of tartness. This was a 750 ml bottle shared with Lavabe as dessert, part 1, a day or two after Christmas. No food pairings as this was marvelous by itself. Anyone heading to Wisconsin this year? If yes, then buy yourself a half a case of this. I'll share it with you. Just don't taste it first as I might not get a bottle then.

Thanks to the above, I'm salivating. I'll never see it down this way, but if I'm on the road I'll keep an eye out. Wow that sounds good.
    CB&onlylikescherriesasfruitinBeer

Old Knucklehead-11th edition-2003-Bridgeport Brewing Company-An aged barleywine. Each year, the folks at this brewery select a person to honor their namesake brew and put a brief bio and caricature on the label. Pretty entertaining. The beer is pretty damn good, too. Year after year. This barleywine is fairly smooth, malty, a bit caramel-y and easy to drink when it is released and aged well. A bit smoother with aging with huge amounts of malt and hops giving it a moderate amount of bitterness. Did not become cloudy or spoiled after 5 years of cellaring. Became a bit like a lighter sherry after several years. Alcohol shows at 9.1% ABV but does not overpower. Enjoyed with some wheat crackers, sharp cheddar and our lemur-loving visitor. I'll be out at Mt. Hood skiing in March and will certainly explore the specialty shops in Portland for the 2009 edition of this fine brew.

Brooklyn Monster-2003-My last 5 year old barleywine review-until next year, that is. I actually like this a bit better than the Old Knucklehead as it is a bit smoother and more brandy-like with its flavor. Smooth and clear. Rich amber in color and, again, as with most barleywines, massive amounts of maltiness which balance the massive hop presence. A real sipper at 10.3% ABV when released and perhaps a bit higher after 5 years maturing. This was enjoyed at a tasting session with Lavabe after Christmas with a sharp cheddar and a few crackers as palate cleansers between our high gravity samples.

Red face No room in the trunk

Bottles of beer fit nicely in socks which fit nicely in suitcases
    Unless, ILJ was going to hold them all the way to Georgia, there was no room.

When we opened the trunk, stuff came cascading out.