Page 115 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 15651051131141151161171251652156151115 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by 2535Miles View Post
    Here's my situation:
    1. I'll be traveling cross-country with my buddy, making many stops along the way.
    2. Not sure how many stops, but we're thinking the trip will take about a week give or take a few days. We're planning on not planning any thing specific but doing as much as possible.

So what's the most desirable way to transport? Can I get by without using a cooler? Some of the beer is currently refrigerated, some isn't. How hot is too hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Too hot is over 80 for an extended time. I'd wrap them up in a blanket or something, and keep them on your floorboard. It's the lowest part of the car, and the blanket should act as an insulator.
    If you're not going to use a cooler, wrap aluminum foil around the blanket CB&B recommends. It will keep the radiant heat of the day, both direct sun light and heat inside the car, from warming the blanket, which would warm the beer. It's why you wrap a baked potato with aluminum foil to keep it warm, or receive a fast food burger in aluminized foil - it reflects radiant energy back from where it came. Works wonders in attics, too, to reduce heating and cooling loads in your house*.

*I do sell a special ruggedized form of this foil if anyone is interested in reducing their utility bills. PM me for more information.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

For Ozzie (and whoever else is interested): beer aging

Beer aging thoughts:

1. Buy your beers in brown bottles only.
    2. Keep them away from heat and light.
    3. Don't try it with "session" beers, meaning your "garden variety" (not meant to insult) lagers/pilsners and ales (brown, pale, wheat, fruit, etc).
    4. Higher alcohol is better for aging-helps preserve the beer. Examples of this include IPA's, most "imperial" offerings of standard styles and barleywines.
    5. Bottle-conditioned is better/best as the yeast added to the final product and bottled with it will continue to help mature and protect the beer. It may result in a slightly higher ABV in a year or two as the beer conditions.

I have slightly more patience than CB&B and bluebeer, err, bluebear (), but not much. I have some 2-3 year old Brooklyn beers (Black Chocolate Stout and Monster) and 3-5 year old Samichlaus and Bigfoot, but most times I am too lazy to mark the year on the beer and throw it in a box and wait to drink it.

Hope that helps some.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Beer aging thoughts:

1. Buy your beers in brown bottles only.
    2. Keep them away from heat and light.
    3. Don't try it with "session" beers, meaning your "garden variety" (not meant to insult) lagers/pilsners and ales (brown, pale, wheat, fruit, etc).
    4. Higher alcohol is better for aging-helps preserve the beer. Examples of this include IPA's, most "imperial" offerings of standard styles and barleywines.
    5. Bottle-conditioned is better/best as the yeast added to the final product and bottled with it will continue to help mature and protect the beer. It may result in a slightly higher ABV in a year or two as the beer conditions.

I have slightly more patience than CB&B and bluebeer, err, bluebear (), but not much. I have some 2-3 year old Brooklyn beers (Black Chocolate Stout and Monster) and 3-5 year old Samichlaus and Bigfoot, but most times I am too lazy to mark the year on the beer and throw it in a box and wait to drink it.

Hope that helps some.
    bluebeer..I like it..
    I have essentially no patience though I do have a few belgium specials tucked away in cool dark corners...but generally if I make it a year with those stashes, I consider myself successful. It's always easier with a beer that you've tried before...
    It's going to be an ommegang week for me as I finally got up to the store near me that sells 12 oz bottles..picked up 3 each of ommegang, hennepin, and 3 philosophers..they had Rare Vos too in the small bottles which I haven't tried but opted to play it safe..

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    bluebeer..I like it..
    I have essentially no patience though I do have a few belgium specials tucked away in cool dark corners...but generally if I make it a year with those stashes, I consider myself successful. It's always easier with a beer that you've tried before...
    It's going to be an ommegang week for me as I finally got up to the store near me that sells 12 oz bottles..picked up 3 each of ommegang, hennepin, and 3 philosophers..they had Rare Vos too in the small bottles which I haven't tried but opted to play it safe..
    You'd like the Rare Vos, I'd bet. A fine Belgian amber ale.

You'd like the Rare Vos, I'd bet. A fine Belgian amber ale.
    Guess I'll have to make a return trip as I'll be going right by there again tomorrow..

60 day CB&B Smoked IPA. A bit smoother and a tad bit more smokiness noted this time. Clear and mildly hoppy. The malt balances the piney or spruciness well. Probably 6-7% ABV. Brats/burgers on the grill would make a nice main course with this. Or sharp cheddar and a pungent Wheat Thin or Triscuit for you snack.

I'll be hitting a milestone post on this thread soon and am thinking what to do with #1000. Hmmm...

CB&B OR (Original Recipe)-mystery brew. 60 day tasting. Did not refer to my original posting. I think this most closely resembles a red ale with some caramel malts and only a mild hop presence. Still clear and crisp. Another good partner with burgers, brats or evening snacks. ABV probably 5-6%. Got one of these left. Hmm, Lavabe's or mine...

a Quad and Imperial IPA..

A few new reviews this weekend..
    Victory Hop Wallop--I think this is considered an Imperial IPA..lighter than expected when poured..hoppy and appropriately bitter. I didn't like it as much as Founders Double Trouble or DFH 90 Minute but still a nice crisp beer that I will likely try more of this spring summer..

Harpoon Leviathan Quad--I was excited to try this but disappointed despite using my Chimay Goblet.. Lots of alcohol taste and sweet but not as malty as I would expect from a quad. It also had a strange spicy aftertaste..won't try again..

Long Trail Double Bag Ale-2009 edition-A "schtickebier" (sp?)-or, I guess, an Imperial Alt-or, as the name suggests, a double alt. Smooth and sweet as a Jon Scheyer jumpshot. Malty, caramel-y and toasty. Minimal hop presence. Like a slightly overdone Hardees' or Bojangles' biscuit (this is a good thing). A bit high ABV at 7.2% for a session beer, but when accompanied with pretzels, wheat crackers, swiss cheese and a crab cake appetizer with a shrimp pasta marinara entree (and of course, a Duke W over the VThugs), this makes for quite a session. A big thanks to budwom here for lugging this all the way down from Ver-Mont for the "session."

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA-1year old stuff-A bit smoother but still with intense hop aroma and taste-mostly grapefruity zest. Orange-red color and slightly hazy. Best comparison is an IIPA but at 20% ABV, I'm not sure of what is really the best comparison. Head lingers a bit more than I'd expect. Let it warm to 55-60 degrees and pour yourself 3-4 ounces in a brandy snifter, build yourself a fire (or light the gas logs) and sip this one slowly.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA-1year old stuff-A bit smoother but still with intense hop aroma and taste-mostly grapefruity zest. Orange-red color and slightly hazy. Best comparison is an IIPA but at 20% ABV, I'm not sure of what is really the best comparison. Head lingers a bit more than I'd expect. Let it warm to 55-60 degrees and pour yourself 3-4 ounces in a brandy snifter, build yourself a fire (or light the gas logs) and sip this one slowly.
    Haven't tried this one before, I've had the 90 minute. Harris Teeter has it in stock, and I was tempted when I saw it this weekend. After your review I'll have to bite the bullet and check it out for myself.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Haven't tried this one before, I've had the 90 minute. Harris Teeter has it in stock, and I was tempted when I saw it this weekend. After your review I'll have to bite the bullet and check it out for myself.
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same brew. You can't purchase any beers over 15% ABV in NC. I bought this in Kentucky in 9/08 visiting the Lavabes. It's also about $8/12 ounce bottle. That's why I enjoy 3-4 ounces/night so the bottle lasts 3-4 days and I can still walk after sipping on it for a while.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I'm not sure we are talking about the same brew. You can't purchase any beers over 15% ABV in NC. I bought this in Kentucky in 9/08 visiting the Lavabes. It's also about $8/12 ounce bottle. That's why I enjoy 3-4 ounces/night so the bottle lasts 3-4 days and I can still walk after sipping on it for a while.
    I'll find out for sure tomorrow, I thought it was the 120. Comes in a 4 pack, maybe it was the 90 minute and they had it next to the 60. It was pretty pricey for a 4 pack, which was why it stayed on the shelf that day. I know it wasn't over 15%, so I'm thinking you're correct. Looks like it might be a quest brew.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Holy Sheet-Clipper City Brewing Company-really, folks, that is the name of this fairly typical abbey/dubbel style ale (uber abbey ale on the bottle). A deep, rich brown ale brimming with a nose and taste of dark fruits like raisins, dates and figs. Perhaps a bit of caramel and brown sugar notes, too. Little bite to this smooth offering from this brewery's Heavy Seas series. ABV is 9%. I'd rather have the Ommegang signature ale or a Westmalle or Corsendonk, but, at about $10 for the 6er, this is a nice purchase and value. I've got a few left and plan on saving one for CB&B and Lavabe on our next beer exchange.

Talking Nice idea... where have I heard of this before, devildeac?

Read it and weep:
    http://www.ajc.com/eveningedge/conte...r-bracket.html

Umm... sound familiar?

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Read it and weep:
    http://www.ajc.com/eveningedge/conte...r-bracket.html

Umm... sound familiar?
    Well, Dave McClure is a judge, so it's obvious where they got the idea from.

Well, Dave McClure is a judge, so it's obvious where they got the idea from.
    Dave McClure, gold medal award-winning brewer for Atlanta Brewing Co.
    And here I thought it was OUR Dave McClure!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Blithering Idiot-(no, this is not about Dick Vitale or Mike Patrick, this is the "ymm, beer" thread)-Weyerbacher-Their standard winter offering of a hugely hoppy and massively malty barleywine. Notes of dark candied fruits, dark caramel and intensely floral hops. Very slightly sweet from all the malted barley with a bit of slightly burned brown sugar. IBU not given but I'd bet 90-100 range. Us usual, let it warm on the counter for 15 minutes, pour and sip over the next hour or so watching some late evening hoops. ABV is 11.1% so watch out for the buzz at the end of this one. I think when they age this in oak casks they call it Blasphemy (but I did not verify that).

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And here I thought it was OUR Dave McClure!
    In Atlanta, OUR Dave McClure is spelled "McLcure."

Maredsous 10-draft-this is a Moortgaat (sp?) brew-and what an ale it is!-A Belgian tripple which is reddish-brown and clear with sherry and raisin, date and fig tastes. Served a bit too cold in its own goblet but 15 minutes on the table with the main course of tuna, lentils and chorizo sausage and a grilled/roasted vegetable mini-tower made a delicious meal. This would make a fabulous dessert beer, too. 10% ABV and nothing hidden here. I don't remember a bottle of this tasting so complex several years ago.

This is #999 on this thread for me.

Any guesses what #1000 will be later tonight after the Duke game?