Page 306 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2062562963043053063073083163564068061306 ... LastLast
Results 6,101 to 6,120 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Big Day IPA was listed on their blackboard as a "session" IPA and I think that is an apt description. Pour was an orange-yellow with a modest head, and flavors were light pine, resin with a drop or two of orange juice. I'll guess the IBUs about 50 and the ABV was approaching the regular n 7/5/2014.
    What lousy proof-reading last PM. The last sentence should be "...and the ABV was listed at 6.1%, pretty standard for a traditional IPA but perhaps a bit high for a session IPA." Sheesh. Just can't find good typists these days.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

So much great (sounding) beer, so few hepatocytes...

http://raleighbeerweek.com

I couldn't scroll through the daily schedule but the events sound delicious, especially the one at Ridgewood Wine and Beer on Friday this week.

Rabble Rouser (draft)-Trophy Brewing

This 5 ounce serving of an orange-amber colored Belgian style IPA made a nice combo with our rather spicy homemade pizza from their kitchen. There were hints of orange in the aromas and several tropical fruits in the flavors including guava, papaya and, of course, some orange. The Belgian influence comes from the yeast which lends a bit of black pepper and spiciness to the mix. I'll estimate 50-60 IBUs and they listed the ABV at 6.9%. Rather interesting style and one I'd certainly re-visit.

Millions of Peaches

Well, maybe not a million but they do claim to have added 40 pounds of ripe NC peaches to each of their 3 barrel releases of this farmhouse ale/saison. This sure tasted like a peach soda with perhaps a bit of apple and pear flavorings (like a lot of "100% juices" claim as their ingredients) which are typical for a saison. Little hop presence here, guessing IBUs in the 20 range. This was the highest ABV on their list at 6.9% and was dangerously easy to drink. It didn't pair too well with our spicy pizza but would make a nice concoction to enjoy with a fruit plate and/or a few soft cheeses, too.

Coffee and Cigarettes

I really don't make up this stuff. Cleverly named as it is a coffee stout made with smoked malt. Poured a dark brown with a modest, light tan head, one's first thought after sniffing and sipping could easily be where's the cream and sugar but this beer needs no more additives (though a scoop of vanilla ice cream might be extremely tasty in about 8 ounces of this brew). I think the moderate bitterness comes from the heavily roasted malts and not from an over-abundance of hops. I'd estimate the IBUs to be 30-40. ABV checks in at 6.5%, a bit high for a stout but not high enough for an imperial stout. As this beer warmed, it made a nice liquid dessert ending to the meal. Too bad we didn't have a gooey, caramel chocolate chip brownie to accompany it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Millions of Peaches

Well, maybe not a million but they do claim to have added 40 pounds of ripe NC peaches to each of their 3 barrel releases of this farmhouse ale/saison. This sure tasted like a peach soda with perhaps a bit of apple and pear flavorings (like a lot of "100% juices" claim as their ingredients) which are typical for a saison. Little hop presence here, guessing IBUs in the 20 range. This was the highest ABV on their list at 6.9% and was dangerously easy to drink. It didn't pair too well with our spicy pizza but would make a nice concoction to enjoy with a fruit plate and/or a few soft cheeses, too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was wondering if anyone would connect the name of this beer with the song/video. I even looked up the group and lyrics just to confirm the reference. Well done.

41.gif

Belgian beer tasting from last week. Reviewed in order of tasting from lowest ABV to highest ABV.

Deugniet-Brasserie du Bocq

This means rascal in Dutch but, in order to preserve peace among the Flemish in northern Belgium and Walloons in southern Belgium, they also have garnement on the beer label. Our host for the evening is from the Dutch speaking area in the country (his NC vanity license plate says FLEMISH) and said this beer is brewed in the Walloonian region but is only good because it's brewer is Dutch. It is a Belgian blonde ale so it poured a pale straw color with lovely floral aromas from European hops, a generous amount of Belgian lace for its head and tastes of apples, pears and honey, though I don't think it has any Belgian candy sugar or honey added in the brewing process. Very light on the palate, little bitterness and made a nice pairing with some soft cheeses and Margherita pizza squares. EBU (yep, European Bitterness Units) on their web site at 25 and 7,5% ABV. I knew we were in for a fabulous evening of Belgian beer tasting after my 6 ounce sample of this.

deugniet_rcol.jpg

Hope the image doesn't offend anyone.

Big Chouffe-Brasserie/Brewery D'Achouffe

This is another Belgian blonde ale that was fairly similar to Deugniet except for the addition of coriander to the usual ingredients, again with no added sugar. I could not perceive the coriander on the nose but it imparted a slightly spicy and dry aspect to the finish of the beer along with the apple and pear flavors and perhaps a bit more sweetness. EBUs roll in at 25 and the ABV here is 8,0% which I thought was pretty much negligible. Paired with the same snacks, I liked this ever-so-slightly better. Interesting web site:

http://www.achouffe.be/uploads/beers...houffe-col.png-picture

http://www.achouffe.be/en

Welcome to the Valley of the Fairies-you'll understand perusing their pictures and stories.

Kwak-Brouwerij Bosteels

Our host for the evening swore the name was derived from the sound that was made as the ale was decanted from its specially designed (almost) dumbbell shaped glasses. Read the pages on their website. While it never mentions that, it kinda makes sense. But, then again, after 12 ounces of high gravity ales and another 6 ounces of this one, all of his guests were starting to believe almost anything he said.

We have now moved into the Belgian dubbel or Belgian brown ale territory. This poured a light amber and had enticing aromas of dark caramel, dark dried fruits and a bit of rum. Tastes were rather sweet and matched the aromas well with a bit of a dry, spicy finish from the coriander added. We paired this with rare roast beef and homemade beef jerky. Good choices. I think the EBUs were 30 and ABV climbed a bit more to 8,4%. This is available in the US and one of the two brews of the evening I think I had tasted before.

c5769ce3-4004-4c10-bda6-529a3c6c5600_PICTURE.jpg

http://brouwerijbosteels.be/nl/ms/ms.../ms-21881-p-2/

Translated, too!

Couldn't get rid of the Karmeliet but that's the next ale anyway but that'll be tomorrow. It's drink local tonight!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was wondering if anyone would connect the name of this beer with the song/video. I even looked up the group and lyrics just to confirm the reference. Well done.

41.gif
    I had completely forgotten about this song.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I had completely forgotten about this song.
    I had completely forgotten about the ninjas.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

PTI, but it's Raleigh beer week so I am interrupting the trip to Belgium for a Tour De Raleigh for local(or nearby) brews.

White Ale-Triangle Brewing Company (Durham)

This is a Belgian style wit beer that has just a bit too much orange peel for flavoring as judged by ol' devildeac and younger daughter-of-devildeac, with whom I shared a 12 ounce can last evening. Poured a cloudy, orange-amber with a mildly spicy, citrus nose and tastes of coriander, the assumed added spice, and again, too much orange peel with its associated bitterness. I'll guess IBUs of 20 and the ABV is 5% so this would make a nice pairing with some mild Oriental dishes or lighter fish entrees.

Bruevarian-Brueprint Brewing Company (Apex)

Famous since 2013, or so they claim. This is their summer seasonal which is a slightly filtered hefeweizen, or wheat ale. Poured a rather clear, light amber with wonderful banana and clove aromas and tastes of the same and zero head. There was a very slight orange presence also, which is fairly typical of wheat ales. The IBUs are 18 and the ABV is 5.6% so a friendly ale to server on the porch on a hot, steamy NC summer day. I've got one of their Scotch ales, too, but that's a darker ale and higher ABV so I'll sample that this fall.

Today, I found myself stuck in the Cincinnati airport with the Memphis blues again. My 8:00 PM flight was delayed until 11:30, and all the shops and sidewalks closed up at 8:30. I decided to hit the Max and Erma's (an Ohio / Pennsylvania sandwich and burger chain - kinda like Applebee's but with more faux antique pictures on the walls). They had half a dozen taps, one of which was "Kentucy Bourbon Barrel Ale" from the oddly named Alltech (is this a software company?) Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. (can't make up their mind, or hedging their bets?)

Poured in a 12 oz goblet, it had a very thin head and was probably served just a bit too cold for proper release of flavors and aromas. But oh my what flavors and aromas! Smooth as a consultant's sales pitch, with the light reflecting colors of amber, copper, cinnamon, and six other shades of brown, the hint of bourbon blended well without being overpowering. While not the optimal food pairing, I went with a mushroom swiss burger, and after supper, talked some football with young Matt the barternder before he had to close the bar.

The website claims flavors of vanilla and oak are also captured as the ale ages in the barrels, but they were too subtle for me to single out. Once upon a time, we used to drop bad whiskey into bad beer and knock the combined potion known as a depth charge. I recall thinking more than once that it actually didn't taste all that bad. Many years later, it seems someone has found a way to make this blend taste really really good. I would definitely enjoy this again when there's time to relax and have a good conversation, perhaps on my back porch. Seems pretty versatile - I could also do this outside, around my little portable metal fire pit, or in colder weather next to the fireplace.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Today, I found myself stuck in the Cincinnati airport with the Memphis blues again. My 8:00 PM flight was delayed until 11:30, and all the shops and sidewalks closed up at 8:30. I decided to hit the Max and Erma's (an Ohio / Pennsylvania sandwich and burger chain - kinda like Applebee's but with more faux antique pictures on the walls). They had half a dozen taps, one of which was "Kentucy Bourbon Barrel Ale" from the oddly named Alltech (is this a software company?) Lexington Brewing and Distilling Co. (can't make up their mind, or hedging their bets?)

Poured in a 12 oz goblet, it had a very thin head and was probably served just a bit too cold for proper release of flavors and aromas. But oh my what flavors and aromas! Smooth as a consultant's sales pitch, with the light reflecting colors of amber, copper, cinnamon, and six other shades of brown, the hint of bourbon blended well without being overpowering. While not the optimal food pairing, I went with a mushroom swiss burger, and after supper, talked some football with young Matt the barternder before he had to close the bar.

The website claims flavors of vanilla and oak are also captured as the ale ages in the barrels, but they were too subtle for me to single out. Once upon a time, we used to drop bad whiskey into bad beer and knock the combined potion known as a depth charge. I recall thinking more than once that it actually didn't taste all that bad. Many years later, it seems someone has found a way to make this blend taste really really good. I would definitely enjoy this again when there's time to relax and have a good conversation, perhaps on my back porch. Seems pretty versatile - I could also do this outside, around my little portable metal fire pit, or in colder weather next to the fireplace.

http://www.kentuckyale.com/kentucky-bourbon-barrel-ale
    Here's something similar I had a little over 2 years ago. Sounds like a very nice find on your part. (BTW, I think it's stuck inside of Mobile...)

Bourbon Barrel Stout-Bluegrass Brewing Company

With an IBU of 38 and an ABV of 8.9%, this is a bit thin for the imperial stout mantle but is still a solid brew. The pour is black and clean with a small tan head and an aroma of dark chocolate. Tastes include the same dark chocolate, vanilla, a bit of coffee and a faint finish of bourbon. This was bought at the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Kentucky for about $9 for the 4 pack. A very dessert worthy beverage and the other 3 are destined for sharing and cellaring.

Knew this couldn't far away

Here's something similar I had a little over 2 years ago. Sounds like a very nice find on your part. (BTW, I think it's stuck inside of Mobile...)
    Nope, it's a common mistake. Because Dylan sounds like a frog with a sinus condition, people always have trouble with the lyrics. And this is a pretty good description of what happens when one is forced to spend four hours in an airport.

Now the barman gave me two cures
    Then he said, “Jump right in”
    The one was Kentucky ale
    The other was just railroad gin
    An’ like a fool I mixed them
    An’ it strangled up my mind
    An’ now people just get uglier
    An’ I have no sense of time
    Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
    To be stuck inside of Cincy
    With the Memphis blues again

Read more: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/stu...#ixzz3Bn0hkh8U

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Nope, it's a common mistake. Because Dylan sounds like a frog with a sinus condition, people always have trouble with the lyrics. And this is a pretty good description of what happens when one is forced to spend four hours in an airport.

Now the barman gave me two cures
    Then he said, “Jump right in”
    The one was Kentucky ale
    The other was just railroad gin
    An’ like a fool I mixed them
    An’ it strangled up my mind
    An’ now people just get uglier
    An’ I have no sense of time
    Oh, Mama, can this really be the end
    To be stuck inside of Cincy
    With the Memphis blues again

Read more: http://www.bobdylan.com/us/songs/stu...#ixzz3Bn0hkh8U
    Ahhh, got it.