Page 127 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 27771171251261271281291371772276271127 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Just to be sure we are talking about the same brew:

Attachment 2023
    Yep. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    Not going to post the pictures, but if you like experimental beers, the Belga/Belgiques that Stone is putting out this year are just awesome. Both the Belg-Anise Imperial Stout, and the Cali-Belgie IPA. The collaboration for Japan relief -- the Green Tea IPA -- is really cool too just for the mix of flavors from the unique blend of hops that they added.

Also, Austin is trying to catch Portland, San Diego and Denver. Still behind, though, and the archaic and stupid distributor laws prevent too much growth (Please somebody defend the mandatory 3-tier distribution system as anything but a money grab. Please.)

Anyway, Jester King Wytchmaker Rye IPA and Black Metal Imperial Stout out of Dripping Springs are awesome. Look for them if you are in Texas. Circle Envy Amber (more of an ESB) is damn good too.

Currently enjoying Harpoon Leviathan as I type (just one though).
    For you, ATD:

Quad-Harpoon Brewing

This is part of their Leviathan series. I have never seen this in a bottle but was highly fortunate to find it on tap at Draft Restaurant in downtown Raleigh this week. We had a BOGO free coupon for entrees and, on Monday nights, all pints are $3. This ended up being "only" a 10 ounce serving in a goblet but most high gravity brews end up being 8-10 ounce portions due to the higher ABV.

It was served a bit too cold but after warming a bit, I found this to be a fascinating and complex brew. There was a small head topping a deep mahogany colored brew that smelled and tasted of dried raisins, figs, dates and dark rum. The dark Belgian candi sugar added confers a bit of sweetness to the already very malty flavor. The texture is almost silky. I'd guess the IBU to be rather low, perhaps 20-30 and the ABV is a potent 11.75%. I sipped this a bit before my gourmet burger arrived and finished it after dinner for my "dessert." Brews this complex and potent make very fine "after dinner drinks." I'd love to find a 4 pack of this to compare with the draft variety, in addition to storing a bottle or two for a while (2-3 years even) and then tasting what "cellaring" or "aging" has done for its complexity.

Levi_Quad_4pk_sm.jpg

From a really good craft brewery just outside Philadelphia:

Golden Monkey-Victory Brewing

Victory's answer to Duvel. This is a triple style Belgian ale with a yellow, cloudy pour, a bit of white pepper on the palate and a bit of orange peel and coriander, too. IBU are low, guessing 20-30 and the ABV is 9.5%. Serve chilled in a goblet and enjoy with a fruity salsa topping on your chicken or lighter body seafood. I had not enjoyed one of these is a while and bought a 6er for trading purposes and was pleasantly surprised to sample one of these again.

beer_gm.gif

Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

14956.jpg

Beer. It's not just for breakfast anymore.

14956.jpg
    Nothing new there; once upon a time warm beer and cold pizza was a dorm staple.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nothing new there; once upon a time warm beer and cold pizza was a dorm staple.

-jk
    Ah, but this is not just any beer to have with cold pizza. This one is a meal in itself as it is a double chocolate coffee oatmeal stout. The only thing possibly missing is a slice of chocolate/chocolate chip pound cake or a chocolate croissant. IIRC, you like the darker beers and this would be fabulous on any holiday morning that might be coming up in the next several weeks. :-))

I just went on a bender at my local liquor store this afternoon.

Not only did they have some special release (512) Brewing bombers -- one a Trippel, one a sour brown, they also had several Dogfish Head --- Pangea, Theobroma and Chateau Jiahu. Have never seen these in Texas before.

I generally prefer clean bears (just hops, water, yeast and grain, please), but I've enjoyed Dogfish Heads other experimental stuff, so can't wait to try these this weekend, especially the Theobroma!

If you like holiday beers, this years version of Anchor Steam's Xmas beer is awesome. Tastes like I'm drinking gingerbread.

Add to that our own Sexy Santa Cinnamon Porter (not bad for a first try) and War Haka Rye IPA (made with all NZ hops), and we are in for a very beery holiday season.

Not only did they have some special release (512) Brewing bombers -- one a Trippel, one a sour brown, they also had several Dogfish Head --- Pangea, Theobroma and Chateau Jiahu. Have never seen these in Texas before.

I generally prefer clean bears (just hops, water, yeast and grain, please), but I've enjoyed Dogfish Heads other experimental stuff, so can't wait to try these this weekend, especially the Theobroma!

If you like holiday beers, this years version of Anchor Steam's Xmas beer is awesome. Tastes like I'm drinking gingerbread.

Add to that our own Sexy Santa Cinnamon Porter (not bad for a first try) and War Haka Rye IPA (made with all NZ hops), and we are in for a very beery holiday season.
    From a bottle I shared with my SIL earlier this year:

Pangaea-Dogfish Head Brewing

Brewer's notes:

Pangaea

Availability: Limited
    Brewed with ingredients from each and every continent, this is slightly spicy ale, with a mouthful of rich flavors. Pangaea is a great food beer.

Our list of worldly ingredients includes:

Crystallized ginger from Australia

Water from Antarctica

Basmati rice from Asia

Muscavado sugar from Africa

South American quinoa

European yeast

and North American maize.

Pangaea is released annually in the fall and is bottled in 750ml bottles.

In the video below, Sam talks about the inspiration behind the Pangaea project (while also managing to mention 'poop' and 'dinosaurs'). While we do realize that trying to bring the world together via ingredients in a beer bottle may not result in immediate and lasting world peace - we've gotta have goals!

My thoughts: The pour is a cloudy golden and the nose and tastes are both mainly ginger. There is also a bit of light brown sugar sweetness. Hop presence is floral but fairly light at 28 IBU and the ABV is 7%. This could be served with lighter, fruity fish or chicken dishes or easily as part of a tasting session. The price is fairly reasonable at $8 for the 750 ml bottle.

I really enjoy trying almost any of the DFH concoctions. (The video link is not there.) I may have an old review of the Theobroma somewhere, too. I also received a bottle of the 300th (I exaggerate) annual offering of Anchor's Our Christmas Ale as a trader this weekend and plan to sip that one over the Thanksgiving weekend.

From a tasting I did about 1.5 years ago:

Theobroma

This beer is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions. The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1200 BC. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head’s Theobroma (translated into 'food of the gods') is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds). It's light in color - not what you expect with your typical chocolate beer. Not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!

This beer is part of our Ancient Ales series - along with Midas Touch, Chateau Jiahu, and other - step back in time and enjoy some Theobroma.

Quite the fascinating and distinctive brew. Almost reminded me of milk chocolate covered fancy-arse orange jellied candies with a generous amount of orange zest/peel. Served slightly chilled in wine glasses as our after dinner drink/dessert, I think we all found it to be easy on the palate, guessing an IBU of about 40 and a bit winey at 9% ABV. The ancho chilies gave it a tiny bit of a zing, but nothing fiery. The cocoa nibs/powder were not dark or overly chocolatey as one might expect if you had a porter or a stout. Spendy at about $10 for the bomber but worth a try, as just about all the DFH brews are.

I'll be curious to read your thoughts after your weekend tasting.

Guinness Black Lager

Boy, I love this stuff!
    Has anybody tried it yet?

To accompany your Sexy Santa brew:

bad-elf-ale-21351447.jpg

To accompany your Sexy Santa brew:

bad-elf-ale-21351447.jpg
    Or, if that's not naughty enough for you:

VeryBadElf.jpg

Theobroma

From a tasting I did about 1.5 years ago:

Theobroma

This beer is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions. The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1200 BC. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head’s Theobroma (translated into 'food of the gods') is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds). It's light in color - not what you expect with your typical chocolate beer. Not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!

This beer is part of our Ancient Ales series - along with Midas Touch, Chateau Jiahu, and other - step back in time and enjoy some Theobroma.

Quite the fascinating and distinctive brew. Almost reminded me of milk chocolate covered fancy-arse orange jellied candies with a generous amount of orange zest/peel. Served slightly chilled in wine glasses as our after dinner drink/dessert, I think we all found it to be easy on the palate, guessing an IBU of about 40 and a bit winey at 9% ABV. The ancho chilies gave it a tiny bit of a zing, but nothing fiery. The cocoa nibs/powder were not dark or overly chocolatey as one might expect if you had a porter or a stout. Spendy at about $10 for the bomber but worth a try, as just about all the DFH brews are.

I'll be curious to read your thoughts after your weekend tasting.
    I liked it, and agreed it was a bit winey. Definitely tasted the alcohol. It is so unique because it is light colored but has a distinct chocolate flavor, especially on back end.

An hour after drinking it, I have kind of a dry, sour taste in my mouth. That may be the ancho.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't purchase it again.

I liked it, and agreed it was a bit winey. Definitely tasted the alcohol. It is so unique because it is light colored but has a distinct chocolate flavor, especially on back end.

An hour after drinking it, I have kind of a dry, sour taste in my mouth. That may be the ancho.

I enjoyed it but wouldn't purchase it again.
    Your last sentence captures most of my impressions/feelings about the DFH brews. They are unique and worthy of tastings and most are quite good, but, at $10 or more per 750 ml bottle for most of their concoctions, I don't make a second purchase.

harvest-ale.jpg

Goose me!

Enjoyed this on Saturday night...

Purchased as a b-day present for me at a great little spot in Austin called Haddington's. Had to split it with a buddy. I generally stick with American brews just because there is so much to try, but this one was fun.

photo.jpg

Malheur Dark Brut

Close to champagne in carbonation and even taste - lots of fruit. Very malty too, though, and alcohol was there throughout, but not in a bad way.

I am still learning how to "taste" beers, and I find myself reading other reviews of beers to understand WHAT it is I am tasting and liking so that I can seek it out in the future. It's tough, though, because I can still knock out some light beers in a can at a tailgate or a party when called upon, so I'm not always thinking about what I'm drinking. Let's just say my palate is untrained, and I truly appreciate your posts!!

Purchased as a b-day present for me at a great little spot in Austin called Haddington's. Had to split it with a buddy. I generally stick with American brews just because there is so much to try, but this one was fun.

photo.jpg

Malheur Dark Brut

Close to champagne in carbonation and even taste - lots of fruit. Very malty too, though, and alcohol was there throughout, but not in a bad way.

I am still learning how to "taste" beers, and I find myself reading other reviews of beers to understand WHAT it is I am tasting and liking so that I can seek it out in the future. It's tough, though, because I can still knock out some light beers in a can at a tailgate or a party when called upon, so I'm not always thinking about what I'm drinking. Let's just say my palate is untrained, and I truly appreciate your posts!!
    Thank you. I will try to do a little better than "Goose Me" next time. In fact, here's a little more detailed review:

Harvest Ale-Goose Island Brewing

I have not had an ESB in a while and this ale was a very nice example. A bit less bitter than I thought at 35 IBU, this single hop ale was a bit fruity and a bit piney and, at a fairly standard ABV of 5.7%, worthy of being included in a session or with a meal of burgers, brats, chicken or ribs from the grill. Lavabe brought this for my private enjoyment after daughter #2's wedding last month and I will use the extra as a trader next month .

Your review was interesting, too. That is a brew I have never seen or heard of before.

Picked up a case of Samuel Adams Holiday Brews at Sam's Club the other day. So far I've tried the Chocolate Bock and the Holiday Porter. The Bock reminded me of Creme de Cocoa. Both beers were quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    Picked up a case of Samuel Adams Holiday Brews at Sam's Club the other day. So far I've tried the Chocolate Bock and the Holiday Porter. The Bock reminded me of Creme de Cocoa. Both beers were quite enjoyable.
    I enjoyed a SA chocolate bock over Thanksgiving. They make a fine brew.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I enjoyed a SA chocolate bock over Thanksgiving. They make a fine brew.
    That is a very unique and well-brewed beer. They used to package that in a fancy 750 ml bottle and charge $15 for it. Much more reasonable to include a couple 12 ouncers in a 12 pack and charge about $16 or 18 for the sampler. I might have to buy the sampler just to taste that fine brew again in addition to the Old Fezziwig which I have not enjoyed in years.