Page 1 of 2123 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Ymm, Beer

I know we've got some beer-o-philes on the board, and we're now deep into the drink-beer, watch-sports fall season. So, question to the group --

What's your favorite beer, for what event/food/occasion?

I tried out Moose Drool's brown ale yesterday, at a barbeque where the MLB playoffs were on in the background. It was a nice beer, a bit heavy for the ribs, though. The Black Butte porter went well with the brownies later on.

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.

Busch Light will always hold a special place in my heart (if not my palate) and I usually trend towards the light stuff during Duke bball games.

Funny, i just posted this on TDD Shark Tank like 6 hours ago:

1) Spaten Optimator

2) Paulaner Salvator

3) Ayinger Celebrator

4) Augustiner Maximator

5) Kulmbacker Eisbock

6) Samiclaus

7) EKU 28

8) Schenkerla Rauchbier

9) Trois Pistoles

10) Black Radish

that's for starters

and several of those are high gravity, so protect ya neck

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

I'll defer to Devildeac...

But Madagascar's 3 Horses Beer has sentimental value. Someone just told me that a Ghanaian Bar in DC has some.

Schlafly Oatmeal Stout (St. Louis)
    Sweet Georgia Brown Ale (Sweetwater Brewery, Atlanta)
    Just about everything from the Brooklyn Brewery
    Longshot Hazlenut Brown (no longer made)

Moose Drool is mighty tasty.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Bud Light

DevilDeac is a true aficionado, but in this corner, and DukeTaylor's too, we're just as happy with a (or more) Bud Light as with anything fancier. Not to say I'll turn down a Newcastle Brown Ale if it is offered.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Too many to name in the general category but one I particularly like this time of year is...

Sam Adams Oktoberfest Brew

Good stuff. Great stuff.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by EarlJam View Post
    Too many to name in the general category but one I particularly like this time of year is...

Sam Adams Oktoberfest Brew

Good stuff. Great stuff.

-EarlJam
    It is damn good, ain't it?

I like the clean, no alcohol bite taste, but it's got a plenty.
    Yethsir.

Quote Originally Posted by captmojo View Post
    It is damn good, ain't it?

I like the clean, no alcohol bite taste, but it's got a plenty.
    Yethsir.
    I'm going to have 27 of them tonight.

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by DevilAlumna View Post

Fat Tire is our 'household' standard, and tastes great after a day on the slopes while recovering in the hottub.
    I just took up skiiing 4 years ago and, as a result, made my way out west a few times for the first time in 20 years. Not sure which I enjoyed most, the skiing and environment or the Fat Tire.

Now if only you can help me convince them to distribute down here in Florida!!

and your favorites among beers typically found on tap in an average pub?

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    and your favorites among beers typically found on tap in an average pub?
    Well, not found in your average (read, outside the South) pub, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Abita's Purple Haze.

<sigh> I need a trip to New Orleans...

becks octoberfest is a nice beer also i drink ayinger hundred year brew
    Last edited by jimbonelson; 10-08-2007 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling

-Anchor Porter (Sweetwater had a great one too, probably even better than Anchor's, but for some reason they quit making it a couple of years ago)
    -Old Speckled Hen
    -Sweetwater IPA
    -the Highland beers from Asheville, NC
    -any of the Chimays
    -just about any of the Flying Dogs
    -(close your eyes and point) on the list at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA
    -cheap stuff: Pabst Blue Ribbon. Any day, any time.

This is also a good time to announce that the Decatur Beer Festival is on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's $30 to drink as much as you can of all the brews from dozens of different breweries right on the Decatur Square, and the admission supports some good local causes. Being in Decatur, it also makes for excellent people-watching. I already have my ticket, and will be there all afternoon. I would love to see some other Atlanta-area DBRers there (EarlJam, this means you). You have to order your tickets ahead of time, as they sell only 5000 and none on the day of the festival. You can get them here:

http://decaturbeerfestival.com/

Anyone who decides to go, let me know; I'd love to meet up.

SO MANY superb options (and I am not trying to be disingenuous); it's actually easier for me to pick the few beers I truly don't enjoy (Iron City, Genesee top that list). I wish many of the large, but local, beers (Rheingold, Ballantines, Ortlieb's) were still routinely available. However, to answer the question and among nationally marketed brews: Becks, Sam Adams (several varieties), Anchor Steam, Heineken's, Moose Head, Molson's and especially Yuengling's are very good stuff (in my opinion). Further, many of the small, local, micro-breweries are also excellent.
    Last edited by 4decadedukie; 10-08-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Thumbs up

Fat Tire is a great beer as are most of the New Belgium products. If you ever are in Fort Collins,Co. be sure to stop in for a beer tasting. I was in the area for a football game a couple of weeks ago--paid the place a visit for about the 4th or 5th time. Take the tour/drink the free beer. The place is run,I believe, by wind power-they give their empoyees bikes--

BTW, Arrogant Bastard is also a great beer as is Shiner Bock.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    -
    -(close your eyes and point) on the list at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA

This is also a good time to announce that the Decatur Beer Festival is on Saturday, Oct. 20. It's $30 to drink as much as you can of all the brews from dozens of different breweries right on the Decatur Square, and the admission supports some good local causes. Being in Decatur, it also makes for excellent people-watching. I already have my ticket, and will be there all afternoon. I would love to see some other Atlanta-area DBRers there (EarlJam, this means you). You have to order your tickets ahead of time, as they sell only 5000 and none on the day of the festival. You can get them here:

http://decaturbeerfestival.com/

Anyone who decides to go, let me know; I'd love to meet up.
    Alas, my daughter's lacrosse game is that afternoon, so I am going to have to pass ... unless I can drink well starting at 4PM.

The Brick Store Pub Belgian Room is one of the best places to be in all of the Atlanta area.

I am partial to the Atlanta Botanical Gardens Fest -of-Ale every Thursday in October:
    http://www.atlantabotanicalgarden.or...do?eventId=187
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

Schnieder Weiss beer - best.beer.ever.

I first had it in the brahaus in Munich, just a block off of the Marien Platz. It is a wheat beer (NEVER PUT FRUIT IN YOUR WHEAT BEER) and I must admit that the atmosphere was part of the allure at first, but I have enjoyed it back here in the US and it is still wonderful. A good drinking beer, and good with savory dishes, especially pork.

Incidentally, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that fruit should no go in any beer darker than lemonade. Beer with its own flavor needs no fruit. That means you, Blue Moon drinkers. Enjoy that Belgian clean. Drink it down without the garnish.

Exiled

EDIT: Guinness in Ireland is amazing, and distinctly different from anywhere outside of the British Isles.
    Last edited by Exiled_Devil; 10-08-2007 at 11:07 PM.

On my Honeymoon a year ago, I developed a real taste for Belgians, specifically Trappists. Those monks make a good beer.

Did someone say Belgian?

Quote Originally Posted by Exiled_Devil View Post
    Schnieder Weiss beer - best.beer.ever.

I first had it in the brahaus in Munich, just a block off of the Marien Platz. It is a a wheat beer (NEVER PUT FRUIT IN YOUR WHEAT BEER) and I must admit that the atmosphere was part of the allure at first, but I have enjoyed it back here in the US and it is still wonderful. A good drinking beer, and good with savory dishes, especially pork.

Incidentally, I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that fruit should no go in any beer darker than lemonade. Beer with its own flavor needs no fruit. That means you, Blue Moon drinkers. Enjoy that Belgian clean. Drink it down without the garnish.

Exiled
    I've heard that Purple Haze (mentioned earlier in the thread) may actually have some pulp in it every now and then. Having said that, I avoid the fruit too.

DA: You come from the land that gives us Pike's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale. I saw it in a Forks, WA store next to Moose Drool.

I have never figured out Blue Moon.
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

beers

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Funny, i just posted this on TDD Shark Tank like 6 hours ago:

1) Spaten Optimator

2) Paulaner Salvator

3) Ayinger Celebrator

4) Augustiner Maximator

5) Kulmbacker Eisbock

6) Samiclaus

7) EKU 28

8) Schenkerla Rauchbier

9) Trois Pistoles

10) Black Radish

that's for starters

and several of those are high gravity, so protect ya neck

Now you guys are talkin'. TB-like bocks/double bocks much?

#8-best smoked beer in the world.
    #9-tried any others from the Unibroue folks like La Fin Du Monde or Maudite?
    #10-never heard of it-hope you are not talking about one of the brews from the Weeping Radish brewery formerly from Durham/Brightleaf Square. They really brew bad beer. Steve and Clark's brewpub followed them and they closed, too. Man, I hated all their beers.