Page 308 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2082582983063073083093103183584088081308 ... LastLast
Results 6,141 to 6,160 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    If you were to place a can or three in any checked bags on your next trip to Derm for the 9/20 game, I would be more than eternally grateful and compensate you accordingly, along with a chilled Aviator saison or perhaps a Fullsteam Cackalacky from our tailgate.
    Alas I never check a bag on my one day trips to Derm....and of course they don't yet make Heady Topper in three ounce TSA approved containers...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Alas I never check a bag on my one day trips to Derm....and of course they don't yet make Heady Topper in three ounce TSA approved containers...
    20.gif
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

if you can be here today by 7pm I will be serving my illustrious grilled chicken leg quarters and washing them down with Heady Topper(s). It's a holiday!

if you can be here today by 7pm I will be serving my illustrious grilled chicken leg quarters and washing them down with Heady Topper(s). It's a holiday!
    Thanks for the invite but I'm on call. Grill and chill an extra one of each and think of me.

Heady Topper-The Alchemist

This is going to be a difficult one to review as it certainly met/exceeded expectations from reading/hearing about this a year or two ago and then discussing with fuse and budwom, who was exceedingly kind (and a bit lucky, I think) in procuring this about 3 weeks ago. I'll start off simply and state that this is indeed the best DIPA I've ever tasted. So pure and fresh in its aromas and tastes. First, I sipped the initial 8 ounces from the 16 ounce can, as instructed by the not-so-subtle labeling. Aroma is freshly squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice with a bit of the rind included in the squeezing. I also thought there were hints of mango, peach and apricot. The second 8 ounces were decanted into a small Allagash tulip for the visuals. Poured a hazy peach color with a moderate, foamy head. Tastes matched the aromas with just a bit of oiliness and resin in the finish. There are hints of honey and light caramel to partially offset this incredibly hop-forward IIPA. Beeradvocate claims IBUs at 75 but I can't access The Alchemist website to verify. I'd have guessed 80-90. ABV is on the can at 8%. No food pairings needed. This was $14 for the 4 pack of 16 ounce cans. Fuse and I discussed reports of this being sold on ebay or craig's list for $100/can or more. I wouldn't pay that but I am considering our next auto trip to the northeast already. I'm really anticipating reading what fuse thinks about this offering. If my son doesn't claim his can soon, it's going to disappear.

Best part about the writing on the can was the statement on the back, "Don't be a D-bag. Recycle this can."
    I'm not sure my anticipation could have been higher after reading devildeac's review.

Nose in the can to me is very lemon/lemon zest and grapefruit.

Heady Topper sips so smoothly, with a bitterness that is fairly mild for an double IPA, and is very pleasing.
    I'm fairly certain I could finish a four pack of Heady Topper in under an hour and you could scrape me off the floor in the morning- it's just that approachable and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is really nice as you drink, and leaves a thick hoppy resin flavour behind.
    There is some sweetness trying to compete with the hops- biscuit and honey.
    The hops grow more assertive as the beer warms, numbing the tongue mildly.

Wow is not nearly complimentary enough.
    I can see why Heady Topper is both highly regarded and sought after- this is a phenomenal beer.

The only downside of enjoying a Heady Topper so much is that it disappears so quickly.
    If you like beer that oozes grapefruit hops, Heady Topper will more than scratch that itch.

Budwom, devildeac, I am truly thankful for your generosity in sharing Heady Topper with me.
    I'll pour the second one in a glass in spite of all the guidance not to, so I can see what I am drinking.
    The note about trying to leave hop resins in the bottom of the can when pouring is intriguing.

I really, really enjoyed Heady Topper. I don't keep a "top ten" beer list, and if I did, Heady Topper would be on the list.

Worthy of all the praise heaped on it, Heady Topper is a beautifully crafted experience in a can.

Budworm and devildeac, thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm not sure my anticipation could have been higher after reading devildeac's review.

Nose in the can to me is very lemon/lemon zest and grapefruit.

Heady Topper sips so smoothly, with a bitterness that is fairly mild for an double IPA, and is very pleasing.
    I'm fairly certain I could finish a four pack of Heady Topper in under an hour and you could scrape me off the floor in the morning- it's just that approachable and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is really nice as you drink, and leaves a thick hoppy resin flavour behind.
    There is some sweetness trying to compete with the hops- biscuit and honey.
    The hops grow more assertive as the beer warms, numbing the tongue mildly.

Wow is not nearly complimentary enough.
    I can see why Heady Topper is both highly regarded and sought after- this is a phenomenal beer.

The only downside of enjoying a Heady Topper so much is that it disappears so quickly.
    If you like beer that oozes grapefruit hops, Heady Topper will more than scratch that itch.

Budwom, devildeac, I am truly thankful for your generosity in sharing Heady Topper with me.
    I'll pour the second one in a glass in spite of all the guidance not to, so I can see what I am drinking.
    The note about trying to leave hop resins in the bottom of the can when pouring is intriguing.

I really, really enjoyed Heady Topper. I don't keep a "top ten" beer list, and if I did, Heady Topper would be on the list.

Worthy of all the praise heaped on it, Heady Topper is a beautifully crafted experience in a can.

Budworm and devildeac, thanks again!!!

You are most welcome. Budwom and I have exchanged numerous emails over the last month or more and even chatted at the half yesterday and our reviews are sure to warm the atria and ventricles of budwom's heart. We are going to have to convince him to rent that house on Topsail Island for a month during football season and bring down several (dozen) 4 packs of Heady.

Well, that is tempting...we've actually thought of renting during a week span in which there are two Duke games, but it won't happen this year.

Glad you guys enjoyed the beer, all the hype notwithstanding...I agree with Fuse, clearly I could drink several, but limit myself to one/day. Very drinkable, very tempting.

Appreciate that true fans of beer like you two took the time for the writeup. Meanwhile, I now find myself, post holiday, with but one can in inventory...

By the way, John Kimmich, owner and brewer at Alchemist has been doing beer for a long, long time. He was head brewer at the legendary Vermont Pub and Brewery,
    one of the oldest brewpubs around (30 years?) for a number of years...

Well, that is tempting...we've actually thought of renting during a week span in which there are two Duke games, but it won't happen this year.

Glad you guys enjoyed the beer, all the hype notwithstanding...I agree with Fuse, clearly I could drink several, but limit myself to one/day. Very drinkable, very tempting.

Appreciate that true fans of beer like you two took the time for the writeup. Meanwhile, I now find myself, post holiday, with but one can in inventory...

By the way, John Kimmich, owner and brewer at Alchemist has been doing beer for a long, long time. He was head brewer at the legendary Vermont Pub and Brewery,
    one of the oldest brewpubs around (30 years?) for a number of years...
    It'd be even better if you could pick a week or two for your rental in Sept/Oct/Nov when there are 2 FB games AND a MBB game, obviously with no MBB games in Sept. Just think how much seafood you could consume during that trip. Might even find a few NC beers you really enjoy, too.

If you only have one can left, you might need some Long Trail substitutes. Ommegang brews some tasty Belgian style ales, too.

plenty of Long Trails on hand, that's the standard house beer. Been buying the twelve pack of assorted beers, LT Ale, IPA, Harvest ale, and punkin (kind of cinnamony)...

plenty of Long Trails on hand, that's the standard house beer. Been buying the twelve pack of assorted beers, LT Ale, IPA, Harvest ale, and punkin (kind of cinnamony)...
    Sounds like you'll be in great shape until the next round of Heady Toppers are released.

Hummingbird Helles-Red Oak Brewing

These folks have now started bottling their 2nd flavor of beer, a golden Munich lager. Unpasteurized and unfiltered, this straw colored beverage has very attractive floral aromas and taste sensations of ripe apples, pears, a splash of lemon and a hint of honey. It's quite crisp and clear from "pilsner malt, imported spalt Noble hops and a proprietary yeast." I'll guess IBUs of 10 and ABV of 5%. A clean, refreshing break on a warm, humid summer night from pale ales and IPAs. I received this as a trader with August West after the Saturday tailgate so a big thanks to him.

Duketaylor BBQ Beer

Poured a fantastic amber in the glass, with a thick, rich head that stood about 3/4 of an inch before settling.

Nose is maple syrup, dark sugar and light smoke.

A nice mix of malt and smoke, with a hint of piney hop bitterness.

Duketaylor, this is your best beer to date that I've sampled.
    I appreciate you including me in your ongoing hop and brewing adventures.

This is a really nice, versatile beer. I didn't have it with food, but I can see any grilled fare or pulled pork would match nicely.

Thanks duketaylor!

As if Fullsteam's beer wasn't reason enough, the fact that Sean is a Duke grad and led the "Pop the Cap" campaign are just more good reasons to support Fullsteam whenever possible.

Sean is active and responsive on twitter- hope to have a beer with him one day.

As if Fullsteam's beer wasn't reason enough, the fact that Sean is a Duke grad and led the "Pop the Cap" campaign are just more good reasons to support Fullsteam whenever possible.

Sean is active and responsive on twitter- hope to have a beer with him one day.
    While we're posting about Fullsteam:

Cack-a-Lacky-Fullsteam Brewing

My first tasting of this and it's a good one. Poured a ginger (d'oh)-orange color with a smallish head and pleasant scents of ginger and earthy hops. It's a pale ale so the bitterness is mild to moderate, guessing IBUs of 40 with the ABV at 5-6%. There's a very slight caramely taste along with a fairly strong, but not overpowering, ginger zing. I'd serve this with BBQ fare and mildly spicy Chinese entrees and don't think I'd serve it with any dessert items. I'm thinking fuse reviewed this several months ago and posted a more descriptive evaluation than I did. Worth a single or worth a 6er to share/trade with friends. Drink local!

From their website:

"Cack-a-lacky™ – brewed in partnership with Page Skelton, president of Cackalacky in Chapel Hill, N.C.

A zippy, hoppy ginger pale ale that’s enjoyable on its own and a perfect complement to spicy food. Half of the ginger in the beer comes from Maple Spring Gardens in Cedar Grove, North Carolina…at least until we run out of our local ginger supply.

Cack-a-lacky is our first canned beer…look for it in 12oz. cans in North and South Carolina. And no, the beer does not have hot sauce in it!"

While we're posting about Fullsteam:

Cack-a-Lacky-Fullsteam Brewing

My first tasting of this and it's a good one. Poured a ginger (d'oh)-orange color with a smallish head and pleasant scents of ginger and earthy hops. It's a pale ale so the bitterness is mild to moderate, guessing IBUs of 40 with the ABV at 5-6%. There's a very slight caramely taste along with a fairly strong, but not overpowering, ginger zing. I'd serve this with BBQ fare and mildly spicy Chinese entrees and don't think I'd serve it with any dessert items. I'm thinking fuse reviewed this several months ago and posted a more descriptive evaluation than I did. Worth a single or worth a 6er to share/trade with friends. Drink local!

From their website:

"Cack-a-lacky™ – brewed in partnership with Page Skelton, president of Cackalacky in Chapel Hill, N.C.

A zippy, hoppy ginger pale ale that’s enjoyable on its own and a perfect complement to spicy food. Half of the ginger in the beer comes from Maple Spring Gardens in Cedar Grove, North Carolina…at least until we run out of our local ginger supply.

Cack-a-lacky is our first canned beer…look for it in 12oz. cans in North and South Carolina. And no, the beer does not have hot sauce in it!"
    I think I've gone through 3/4 of a case of Cackalacky over the summer- a really, crisp refreshing pale ale on a hot day. It's been popular and hard to find, selling out pretty quickly after they can it.

I had my first one on draft at Fullsteam, it is a fine beer.

CB&B's Imperial Brown Ale

This was a 12 ounce homebrew trader from one of our tailgate chefs, who also happens to be an IT person by day and artist/chef in the evenings and weekends. I think he got a Cack-a-lacky in return.

I've got to admit, this one fooled me as it made the transition from nose to mouth. I knew what it was from conversations with CB&B last month but appreciated Belgian dubbel aromas of dark brown sugar, dark dried fruits and a bit of dark rum. The tastes were significantly different with some characteristics of an old/strong ale, a barleywine and high octane brown ale, meaning roasted hazelnuts and almonds coming through. The old ale attributes were the dark fruits and rum, the barleywine's personality with a moderate amount of piney bitterness and the brown ale's features I already mentioned. Quite complex. I'll guess IBUs around 60-70 with the ABV about 8-9%. I had half a bottle last PM and I'm finishing the remainder tonight. I'm going to try and pirate a couple bottles from him at the Kansas tailgate, one for me to age 3-6 months and the other for fuse to taste. Maybe if duketaylor returns, he can trade a couple of his for a couple of these. This would be tasty with any of our usual tailgate entrees such as ribs, brisket or pulled/chopped/shredded pig. Intriguing brew. A hearty thanks!

I think I've gone through 3/4 of a case of Cackalacky over the summer- a really, crisp refreshing pale ale on a hot day. It's been popular and hard to find, selling out pretty quickly after they can it.

I had my first one on draft at Fullsteam, it is a fine beer.
    I "settled" for a 6er at Crafty Beer Store, the new specialty shop about 2 (dangerous) miles from our house. They had at least a case, maybe two, last week when I bought my other five 6ers for tailgate traders.

Thanks, fuse, for the kind words. Look forward to meeting you when the time comes. We had a good time at the tailgate and I hope to be able to attend more this fall, just hope it cools off some. I'll probably go visit my brewshop today and work on a fall saison of some sort.

Will sample a trader tonight from devildeac as I enjoy some football, and, yes, I'm ready for some football

Wicked Weed Being Awesome Again

So WW just tapped a new hopped up Amber called...get this...Chinook (lol) Me All Night Long. The cool part is Cliff Williams, ACDC bassist, was at the brewery to pour the first pint. Can't wait to taste this new rockin brew!