Page 472 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 3724224624704714724734744825225729721472 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,440 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Canned in mid-April, so approximately a month old. Very well-rounded with caramel and coffee notes. Delicious stuff, which I was fortunate to find at a local Publix.
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Very nice beer. To me, it's impressive how much flavor CCB gets into a 5.5% brown ale
    It's good for awhile too. It's really only Jai Alai that needs to be FRESH
    A beer mule (term used affectionately) brought a 6er of this, which I shared/split/divided with fuse a couple weeks later, to our last tailgate of the 2015 FB season and I concur. Very tasty brown ale.

I've learned the same thing about IPAs over the last couple years-fresherer is betterer.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wicked Weed Tropic Most Gose. Anyone had it? Saw a 6 pack at the grocery store today and almost bought it. I was hesitant because some of the gose styles I have had have been way too salty and over powering.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Wicked Weed Tropic Most Gose. Anyone had it? Saw a 6 pack at the grocery store today and almost bought it. I was hesitant because some of the gose styles I have had have been way too salty and over powering.
    Perhaps you can sample it at the Funkatorium before buying a 6er. Or, you could buy the 6er, and if you decided you didn't care for it, we could work something out next Monday .

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Perhaps you can sample it at the Funkatorium before buying a 6er. Or, you could buy the 6er, and if you decided you didn't care for it, we could work something out next Monday .
    Fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Meh. Not bad, not outstanding.

Hill Farmstead Edward

Found on draft in a place called Tap and Barrel in NY.

Too deep into the night to share much beyond it was excellent as expected.

Sumatra Mountain Brown-Founders Brewing Company

Fullsteam's Coffee Is For Closers may have met its match . Bought a couple weeks ago with a $1.50 off coupon from Total Wine for about $9 for the 4 pack. It's an imperial brown ale with a dark, dark mahogany hue, little head and a chocolate-covered coffee bean aroma, followed by thick, nutty, cocoa-y, espresso-like tastes and a dry finish. Listed on the bottle (unusual for Founders): caramel, chocolate, aromatic and Munich malts, flaked barley, German and Perle hops and Sumatra coffee. IBUs are 40, perhaps a tad high for the style and the ABV of 9% is way over the limit for a standard brown ale, hence the imperial designation. I hope I can sleep tonight after 12 ounces of this decadent, boozey nightcap. Maybe I should have saved it for breakfast tomorrow .

Ireland Ales..

The lovely Mrs. and I just got home from 10 days in Ireland - lovely visit! I recommend it, if you've never been.

We did the whole Guinness Storehouse experience - a tourist trap - but I've never been a fan of Guinness. Always seems too bland to me, but what do I know?

We did find a couple of nice local brews that we enjoyed:
    • Tom Crean's Premium Lager - Once I stopped thinking about the Indiana basketball coach, I really enjoyed this lager out of Dingle, Ireland. Funny that I enjoyed it without food more than with food, but maybe I was pairing it with the wrong dish.
    • Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale- My wife gave me the ok to sample this one in a Galway, Ireland eatery. Lovely pale ale, and makes a good story to tell my friends about the time(s) I had hooker[s] in an Irish pub.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    The lovely Mrs. and I just got home from 10 days in Ireland - lovely visit! I recommend it, if you've never been.

We did the whole Guinness Storehouse experience - a tourist trap - but I've never been a fan of Guinness. Always seems too bland to me, but what do I know?

We did find a couple of nice local brews that we enjoyed:
    • Tom Crean's Premium Lager - Once I stopped thinking about the Indiana basketball coach, I really enjoyed this lager out of Dingle, Ireland . Funny that I enjoyed it without food more than with food, but maybe I was pairing it with the wrong dish.
    • Galway Hooker Irish Pale Ale- My wife gave me the ok to sample this one in a Galway, Ireland eatery. Lovely pale ale, and makes a good story to tell my friends about the time(s) I had hooker[s] in an Irish pub.
    Your post reminded me of this:

Ring of Dingle-Sun King Brewery

Ricks68 was kind enough to pick up a 4 pack of this while he was in the Annapolis last month and left 3 for fuse and me to fight over. (I won cuz I got to Asheville to pick up the beer from him.) It's obviously one of their winter seasonals and is in the Irish style dry stout category, winning a gold medal at the 2011 Great American Beer Festival. That's quite an honor. Poured a dark, dark brown with aromas of heavily/darkly roasted grains and tastes of coffee, molasses and a hint of licorice. Medium-sized beige head with mild bitterness, mainly from the black/chocolate malts and likely not from the hops as the IBUs are only 34. ABV is 4.8%. This would be at home in a shaker pint on the table with a thick stew or a hearty soup and maybe even a shepherd's pie.

Another Way to Rye (draft)-Turtle Anarchy Brewing Company

Drink local!

One of Nashville's more recent breweries, these folks really needs to be in Maryland.

A $5 pint of orange-straw colored IPA with the twist of some rye being added, making it a bit spicy and musty in addition to the resinous and piney aromas and tastes. Fairly well-balanced with an ABV of 6% and IBUs of 60. Made a nice pairing with a pulled pork sandwich and some seasoned fries.

Finally, some Nashville brews.

Sorta (draft)-Tailgate Beer

Drink local!

This was a 4 ounce pour and part of a mini-sampler at a Jack Daniels bar in our hotel last PM. Golden-hued session IPA with a small head with citrus rind aromas and tastes. Checking in at 40 IBUs and 5% ABV, this was an average ale that paired reasonably well with our shared kinda late night BBQ beef brisket quesadilla.

Bearwalker (draft)- Jackalope Brewing Company

More indigenous imbibing!

Recommended by the hostess and appreciated by the consumer. This was a brown ale with a mahogany appearance and a moderate, tan and creamy head. Nutty scents with roasted nuts, cocoa and dark maple syrup (added) coating the tongue. Stats: 5.1% ABV and ~30 IBUs. This made a much better pairing with our quesadilla and was a high quality brown ale that I'd have ordered another pint of if we weren't so tired and full.

Hopry (draft)-Yazoo Brewing

Yet another clever brewer's name .

This was labeled a DIPA but really fell a bit short on the stats with IBUs of 60 and ABV at 7.2%. Gold-copper color with a small head and piney and resiny aromas and tastes. Good pairing with the quesadilla but only an average offering that is really an IPA.

More local stuff:

Southern Wit (draft)-Tennessee Brew Works (TBW)

Part of a 5 beer sampler tonight. Belgian-style white ale with a light straw color, creamy head, citrusy aromas and orange, tangerine, pear and honey flavors. Good representative of the style that was refreshing with an "educational" local raw and gently-cooked vegetable and fresh fruit tray. IBUs of 14.5 and ABV of 5.15%.
    Last edited by devildeac; 05-28-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Basil Ryeman (draft)-TBW

Another clever brewer's moniker, riffing on the Ryman Auditorium in Music City, USA. This was labeled as a Tennessee farmhouse ale/saison which was a bit full-bodied for the style but rather tasty. Golden color with herbal aromas and tastes of basil, rosemary and fennel accompanied by a bit of rye mustiness. IBUs of 28 and ABV at 6.25% and another good match with our veggie and fruit tray.

Golden Sound (draft)-TBW

A golden stout?!?! WTH?!?!

Coffee-infused, too?!?! WTH?!?!

This was my first ever golden stout and I was well-prepared by our beertender about the color/style. Made with wheat malt in addition to the usual suspects except the heavily roasted grains, this was indeed a golden hue with some mildly toasty aromas and moderately roasted, grainy tastes and a pleasant and gentle coffee finish. I'll guess IBUs in the 30 range and the ABV around 5-6%. This was perhaps a bit strong with our vegetable and fruit tray but a solid offering.

Country Roots (draft)-TBW

Sweet potato stout?!?! Who do these folks think they are, NC farmers and brewers ?

Seriously, this was a good brew but it over-powered our veggie and fruit tray. Dark brown pour with a small head and aromas of cocoa and coffee. Alas, if I didn't read the description at our table, I'm not sure I'd have guessed sweet potatoes had been brewed into this roasty ale. IBUs roll in at 30 and ABV at 5.5%.

Cutaway Rye IPA (draft)-TBW

This was my 5th and final sample (5 ounces) at this moderate-sized brewhouse/pub with some pleasant outdoor seating on a warm and somewhat humid night about 1.5 miles from downtown Nashville this evening. Amber appearance with a moderate, creamy head and a mixed bag of aromas and tastes, including most of the usual suspects here with pine, resin, grapefruit, tangerine and orange with a bit of mustiness in the finish. Pretty well-balanced at 70 IBUs and 6% ABV and a good pairing with our nibblings.

Final Nashville brew:

Belgian Blonde (draft)-Czann's Brewing

They had no sampler here so I finished our evening tastings and snacking with a slightly hazy, minimally foamy straw-colored Belgian-style "single" ale. There was a bit of citrus up top and my palate told me hints of orange and coriander with a slightly peppery finish from the Belgian yeast. Good effort on the style and a nice pairing with our chips, salsa and queso. IBUs were 30 and ABV hit the scale at 6%.

You may have noticed a trend in the Nashville samplings that no high gravity ales were tasted. There's a reason for that which will follow later today as it's the hour for a long morning walk and Mrs. dd has my leash and harness all ready to attach .

Anyone ever had anything from Sycamore Brewing in Charlotte? I was just given a growler of their Tokyo Diamonds White IPA. Never heard of them until today.