Page 162 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 621121521601611621631641722122626621162 ... LastLast
Results 3,221 to 3,240 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Oktoberfest Celebration Ale-Leavenworth Biers-Fish Brewing Company

Second brew of the day was this bomber provided by August West and shared among 4 or 5 people. Does he still post here anymore? Poured a clean amber with a small head and mild hints of toasted biscuits and garden flowers on the nose but mostly mild caramel flavors with minimal bitterness. IBU of 25 and ABV of 5.5% made this a nice match with Val's brisket and potato salad.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Oktoberfest-Left Hand Brewing

Dukediv2013/12/11 brought this brew and was kind enough to allow me a couple sips. Brewers start this process in the spring as these are actually lagers and generally require a month or two to "lager" or age under cool temperatures. Poured a clean amber with a small head with minimal floral hoppiness with IBU of 24. Malts are biscuity and toasty with flavors of light caramel and brown sugar. The ABV of 6.6% is a bit high for the style and it made a nice pairing with my plate of fruit salad, slaw and Val's brisket. Solid product from a fine brewery.

Adriaen Brouwer Dark Golden Ale-Brouwerij Roman

This was our last beer of the day yesterday but not the winner. We should have had the stout after this one. This caged and corked 750 ml bottle was kindly provided by August West. The oxymoronic name is more of a Belgian dubbel or brown ale than a golden ale as it poured a fizzy medium brown with a wonderful nose of dark dried fruits and tastes to match with a splash of dark rum, too. Hops were a bit floral and minor parts of the aroma and tastes. I'd guess an IBU around 30. ABV was 8.5% so several of us shared it and as it warmed a bit, the luscious flavors were further enhanced. It made a nice pairing with peanut butter peanut sandwich cookies and pound cake.

beer_109439.jpg

Mokah-Southern Tier Brewing

Jahva + Choklat=Mokah

I did not realize this is a blended imperial stout but it makes sense now. They take their bittersweet chocolate flavored beer and brew/blend it with their Jamaican coffee infused brew and come up with liquid dessert. Pass the cream, no sugar please. A stunning brew that pours almost inky black and has an oily, viscous mouthfeel, likely from the oats which are one of the four grains, IIRC. I'll guess IBU around 60 but the ABV of 11.2% balanced this well. In fact, it makes it taste like a shot of whiskey has been added to your after dinner cup of Joe. As it warmed on a steamy afternoon in Devils' Alley and became even tastier, this bomber, brought by dpslaw, was sipped lovingly by about 5 of us as we nibbled on brownies and sour cream and cinnamon-pecan laced coffee cake after we were already too full. This was our next to last beer but, because of its color, density and ABV, should have been our final one. Everyone agreed this was the top brew for the day.

ind_bp_mokah1.jpg

Sorry fuse could not join us for this one, but we'll be tasting again about 13 days from now. Wonder what goes well with ram chops...

Dogfish Head Punk'n

One of my fall favorites! Throw in a chilly rainy day and my wife's unbelievable pumpkin bars and you have a heavenly match!

Deep orange gold with a thick white head, the nose is all pumpkin pie spices.
    The pumpkin bar is so sweet it tempers the sweetness of the beer and draws out some of the malty, spicy "beeriness" (tm).

There is definitely some hop spiciness and mild bitterness but the spices make Punk'n rich pumpkin pie in a glass.

This is a classic gateway pumpkin beer- it was the first pumpkin beer I ever had, which lead to Weyerbacher and Southern Tier. There are bad pumpkin beers but I have found that maybe even more so than other beer styles, pumpkin beer is pretty polarizing. The good news is there are enough unique variations on the theme for you to find one you enjoy. For me, it's DFH and Weyerbacher all the way!

Highly, highly recommended.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout

This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Pours almost black with about an inch of a creamy head. If you enjoy chocolate beers or stouts in general, you will love this because it has to be the premium of chocolate stouts. Coming in at a modest 5.2 ABV, it will not leave you disappointed, or too full. Not overwhelmingly sweet or filling making it pleasantly drinkable. If there was ever a beer that pairs perfect with dessert, this is it. Chocolate Stouts are always good for this cold weather season that is quickly approaching and I would recommend this to anyone, cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    This is one of the best beers I have ever had. Pours almost black with about an inch of a creamy head. If you enjoy chocolate beers or stouts in general, you will love this because it has to be the premium of chocolate stouts. Coming in at a modest 5.2 ABV, it will not leave you disappointed, or too full. Not overwhelmingly sweet or filling making it pleasantly drinkable. If there was ever a beer that pairs perfect with dessert, this is it. Chocolate Stouts are always good for this cold weather season that is quickly approaching and I would recommend this to anyone, cheers!
    Next time you have a bottle/can of this, divide it into two portions. One plain or with a chocolate dessert and the other half with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream as a beer float. I kid you not.

Long Strange Tripel-Boulevard Brewing

I have to admit, I have not had a Boulevard brew for probably a decade or more as they are not available in the Triangle and my travels have not taken me to KC or St. Louis recently so I had a bit of hesitation purchasing three of the Boulevard Smokestack Series last week but my favorite specialty brew store pretty much stopped carrying mixed 12 packs so I made my own with four of these, four Double Wide IPA and four of The Sixth Glass. Good choices.

This is an excellent reproduction of a classic Belgian triple with a golden hue, aromas of flowers and tastes of banana, orange and black pepper. Poured into an Ommegang tulip with a large, fizzy head which was retained fairly well. The slight bite comes from the Belgian yeast which imparts its typical peppery palate but bitterness is actually pretty low with an IBU of 23 and the ABV is a pretty standard for a tripel at 9%. This would be fine with a fruit plate pre-dinner or with a fruity salsa and fish. I think I like this better than the Victory Golden Monkey and would love to taste test it with a Duvel.

Interesting story behind the brew from the web site:

"Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere."

Brand_Long_Strange.jpg

I actually had this as a 12 ounce single from my 4 pack.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Long Strange Tripel-Boulevard Brewing

I have to admit, I have not had a Boulevard brew for probably a decade or more as they are not available in the Triangle and my travels have not taken me to KC or St. Louis recently so I had a bit of hesitation purchasing three of the Boulevard Smokestack Series last week but my favorite specialty brew store pretty much stopped carrying mixed 12 packs so I made my own with four of these, four Double Wide IPA and four of The Sixth Glass. Good choices.

This is an excellent reproduction of a classic Belgian triple with a golden hue, aromas of flowers and tastes of banana, orange and black pepper. Poured into an Ommegang tulip with a large, fizzy head which was retained fairly well. The slight bite comes from the Belgian yeast which imparts its typical peppery palate but bitterness is actually pretty low with an IBU of 23 and the ABV is a pretty standard for a tripel at 9%. This would be fine with a fruit plate pre-dinner or with a fruity salsa and fish. I think I like this better than the Victory Golden Monkey and would love to taste test it with a Duvel.

Interesting story behind the brew from the web site:

"Lately it occurs to us that if, back in 1989, you planned on starting a brewery in the back of your carpentry shop, you'd been wise to seek out someone like Harold “Trip” Hogue. A collector of ancient Volvos, Trip was well qualified for the make-do engineering required to coax recalcitrant equipment out of retirement and into making the first Boulevard beers. Today, he is our longest-tenured employee. We offer this rich, golden Tripel in grateful tribute to dedication, everywhere."

Brand_Long_Strange.jpg

I actually had this as a 12 ounce single from my 4 pack.
    I've never had a Boulevard beer to my knowledge. It is a recent development (last two weeks? a month?) that Sam's in Durham is now carrying Boulevard beers.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I've never had a Boulevard beer to my knowledge. It is a recent development (last two weeks? a month?) that Sam's in Durham is now carrying Boulevard beers.
    They carry the Smokestack series up here in MA and I've found them all to be pretty tasty. Double wide is a nice IIPA and, as devildeac posted, their belgian brews like Long Strange Tripel are among the better american versions that I've had. Their limited stuff like Saison with Brett and Chocolate Ale are also very good. Worth trying..

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Just saw them in NC for the first time ever at Bottle Revolution on Lake Boone Trail last week. I'd guess they've been available here for less than a month, my last time "shopping."

Quote Originally Posted by bluebear View Post
    They carry the Smokestack series up here in MA and I've found them all to be pretty tasty. Double wide is a nice IIPA and, as devildeac posted, their belgian brews like Long Strange Tripel are among the better american versions that I've had. Their limited stuff like Saison with Brett and Chocolate Ale are also very good. Worth trying..
    Had a 12 ouncer last PM of The Sixth Glass. Very good quadruple. Not as good as the Weyerbacher but still worth it at about 10.5% ABV and $2.69 for a single. I bought 4 so have three left now: 1 for trading, 1 for my son and the last to cellar for a year. What else did you think I'd do with it?

The Sixth Glass-Boulevard Brewing

I found this an interesting story behind the beer from their web site:

[”Do you know what dwells in a glass?” asks Ole, in Hans Christian Andersen's The Watchman of the Tower. Better known for stories such as The Little Mermaid, Andersen wrote this short, cautionary tale for a somewhat older audience. Our quadrupel ale, also meant for the mature connoisseur, is a deep and mysterious libation, dark auburn and full-bodied, its sweetness deceptive. As Ole describes the glasses in turn, their contents become more ominous until, in the sixth glass...]

Poured into a goblet with a small head and scents of dark, dried fruits and tastes of the same with a splash of dark rum and a pinch of dark brown sugar, this elixir was a fine sipping beer last PM and was served slightly chilled and allowed to warm a bit more over nearly an hour. Low IBU at 22 and high ABV at 10.5%, this makes for a fine after dinner drink or accompanying a rum or fruit cake slice. At $2.69 a single, worth buying a 4 pack which is what I did last week so I can age, trade or share the remainder.

Brand_Sixth_Glass.jpg

From 10/18/11:

Storm King-Victory Brewing

This is a year round offering but I just can't drink any of these in the summers in NC. Fall, winter and spring, yes but not as a year rounder. Brickey, a lurker and rare poster here, visited our tents with his young daughter in a stroller on Saturday and she's the one who actually offered me this brew. What a sweet, intelligent and tasteful child ! Seriously, she did hold up the bottle and I shared it with her dad and found it to be much as I have in years past. Almost pitch black and with a hop punch and even more of an alcohol punch. I'd guess IBU to be about 60-70 and the ABV is 9.1%. Glad I had less than a 1/2 bottle! Tons of espresso tastes with dark chocolate, too. I sipped on this slightly chilled with a couple coconut blondie bars but no chocolate chip cookies or brownies this Saturday. Throw in a scoop of coffee, butter pecan or almond ice cream and you'd have a very fine beer float.

Heading over tomorrow to buy my brewing kit, so hopefully will having something to post about in a month when my first batch is ready. Have a new book at home on the subject and will be increasing my knowledge of that side of the bottle

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Heading over tomorrow to buy my brewing kit, so hopefully will having something to post about in a month when my first batch is ready. Have a new book at home on the subject and will be increasing my knowledge of that side of the bottle
    I used to homebrew, it is a lot of fun.
    The one piece of advice I can offer is take sanitization/cleanliness seriously.
    If you don't, you may end up with spoiled/infected beer, or worse, exploding beer bottles.
    I don't know a single homebrewer that has not "slipped up" somewhere along the way, but if you take your cleaning seriously, you'll end up with great beer.

Good luck!

Double Wide IPA-Boulevard Brewing

This is another of their Smokestack Series brews and had a nose of pungent pine and dried apricots with similar tastes along with toffee and caramel. Not quite the hop bomb a lot of imperial India Pale Ales are, it is still pungent with IBU of 71 and typical ABV of 8.5% and the balance achieved results in a potent but even-handed blend. Would be fine served in a snifter or with a meal of Indian cuisine or mild to moderately spicy/hot Chinese food. Certainly worth the 2.69 paid for the 12 ounce bottle from the 4 pack I bought last week.

beer_72627.jpg

Art of Darkness-Ommegang Brewing

What a rich and seductive brew! This is a long overdue review from last month when we were in DC and dined at The Bier Baron. This pub has a nightly special and for $10 you get a very tasty burger with lettuce, tomato and other condiments of your choice, a generous serving of pub fries and any draft on the menu. The burgers/fries are $10 (or was it $12?) anyway and this particular ale was $12 for a 10 ounce goblet. Sure, a bit spendy but I'll guess the 750 ml bottle is likely $10 or more any your favorite beverage store and, at 8.9% ABV is a pretty standard price. Enough about the dinner and on to the elixir.

This arrived in the goblet a bit too cold but as it warmed over the 30 minutes of sipping for what was basically dessert, it turned into quite the luscious concoction. It is basically a dark strong Belgian ale and could likely be classified as a stout with its dark mahogany color and aromas of dark sweet chocolate and hints of molasses and espresso. There are no additives so the darkly roasted barley, wheat and oat grains are responsible for most all the flavors here with hints of hop bitterness. Dark, dried fruit flavors are also present along with a splash of dark aged rum. Ideal for a liquid dessert or with some truffles or a dark chocolate cheesecake. If you see it on draft or in a specialty store, it would be worth the splurge.

beer_168440.jpg

From April, 2010:

Pere Jacques-Goose Island-I have found another wonderful Belgian style dubbel ale from a US brewer. This silky, golden-brown ale retains its foamy and fizzy head fairly well and has aromas and tastes of medium to dark brown sugar, dried raisins and cherries and perhaps a bit of dark rum. Saaz hops (from the web site) appear to be the only variety and the IBU is low at 26. Five malts are listed and I was a bit surprised to read that wheat and rye were used. ABV is 8% which is fairly standard for a Belgian brown ale. This would be great with a dried fruit tray pre-meal, some sweeter style BBQ or grilled fish/chicken with a fruit salsa/compote, with a hunk of rum/caramel cake for dessert or by itself in a goblet.

From last PM:

Pere Jacques 2011-Goose Island Brewing

Ahh, the pleasures of beer aging. This capped 750 ml bottle was dated June, 2011, so it spent about 16 months in the "cellar" and many of the above thoughts apply but I think this was still just a bit smoother and richer than enjoying a "fresh" bottling. Best served slightly warmed and from a tulip glass or snifter. Also best to divide this higher gravity brew over a couple nights like I did, or share it with friends.

pere_jacques_2010.jpg

Goose me!