Page 654 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 15455460464465265365465565666470475411541654 ... LastLast
Results 13,061 to 13,080 of 42448

Thread: Ymm, Beer

Ok, amber ales-which ones have y'all had?

Disclaimer: they include red ales and some imperial style amber/red ales, too.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/128/

I "think" my count is 17. Especially pleased to have sampled 6 of the top 10. Kinda fell off the table after that .
    Last edited by devildeac; 07-20-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ok, amber ales-which ones have y'all had?

Disclaimer: they include red ales and some imperial style amber/red ales, too.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/lists/style/128/

I "think" my count is 17. Especially pleased to have sampled 6 of the top 10. Kinda fell off the table after that .
    I think 12, and 4 of the top ten.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I think 12, and 4 of the top ten.

Cheers!
    Which 4?

I'll place an order for #3 on the list, guessing you haven't had that one.

Silly me. I thought it was going to be about "near beer" or "polyester beer" and it was about real fake beer. Beers that really don't exist. I never thought of that angle.

Hoards of hungry and thirsty in-laws arriving sometime this afternoon. Hope I have time for a sampler after the office closes at 2 PM today.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post

larson.jpg

Beer would've likely helped.

Tropical Torpedo. Excellent evolution of what was a stellar original.

From 3/13/17:

High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Everything you might think and more. Think Cappuccino Stout aged in High West rye and bourbon barrels.

Inky black, viscous pour with a wispy head from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter. Coffee and booze initially, then tasting dark chocolate, lots of dark caramel and coffee with warming, bourbon notes midway through and a bit more booze to finish. IBUs are less than the Cappuccino Stout, measuring 39.6 (really, it's on the bottle) and a quite potent 12.2% ABV. Amazingly, this is in 6ers and was about $15 after a buck off Total Wine coupon last month. Not sure I'll share any of these (kidding). No dessert necessary.
    From last PM:

High West-fied Imperial Coffee Stout-Lagunitas Brewing Company

Same pour and appearance but, after 4 months of cellaring, I thought the coffee was much more pronounced and the bourbon more subdued. More of a dark chocolate-dipped coffee been this time. Yea, I know, strange beer to sip in the summer heat and humidity, but we've got a buncha guests in the house, so something a bit more "fortified" was necessary.

Three still available for sharing. Doubt I'll sample another one of these heavyweights until the fall. Ymm, tailgates...

Hey, DD, are you reviewing your posts in this thread with an eye toward the story thread? That should only take a couple of months...

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Hey, DD, are you reviewing your posts in this thread with an eye toward the story thread? That should only take a couple of months...
    Hmmm, not a bad idea but that really is/was not my intent. Probably would take years anyway .

A Bittersweet Farewell to Wicked Weed

Upon the announcement that AB bought Wicked Weed, I only had one Wicked Weed beer left in the fridge, a 2015 Silencio.

Silencio is a bourbon barrel aged black sour with coffee and vanilla.

Poured and let sit for 15 minutes.

Nose is sour blackberry.

First hits the palate sour and finishes oaky.
    I expected more coffee and vanilla, there is some mild coffee towards the end that is really masked by the wood at the end.

A really beautifully structured beer. The coffee and maybe a mild hint of vanilla are more of a lingering aftertaste than anything really in the sip itself.

I'll say once more I respect anyone on their decisions on how to run their business, and I can be happy for the WW crew on their sale and their business success and at the same time be completely comfortable in not wanting to buy their beer in the future.

I remember with great joy receiving 4 Wicked Weed bottles courtesy of mattman and how lucky I felt at getting my hands on some hard to get, world class beer. That sparked my interest and I continued to snap up what I could when local bottle shops announced arrival of limited stock.

So my experience with Wicked Weed ends with both a heavy heart and a smile. I thought WW was well on their way as a next generation Dogfish Head.
    The saying its the journey, not the destination resonates strongly with me as this chapter of my beer story comes to a close.

Upon the announcement that AB bought Wicked Weed, I only had one Wicked Weed beer left in the fridge, a 2015 Silencio.

Nose is sour blackberry.

I expected more coffee and vanilla, there is some mild coffee towards the end that is really masked by the wood at the end.

A really beautifully structured beer. The coffee and maybe a mild hint of vanilla are more of a lingering aftertaste than anything really in the sip itself.

I'll say once more I respect anyone on their decisions on how to run their business, and I can be happy for the WW crew on their sale and their business success and at the same time be completely comfortable in not wanting to buy their beer in the future.

I remember with great joy receiving 4 Wicked Weed bottles courtesy of mattman and how lucky I felt at getting my hands on some hard to get, world class beer. That sparked my interest and I continued to snap up what I could when local bottle shops announced arrival of limited stock.

So my experience with Wicked Weed ends with both a heavy heart and a smile. I thought WW was well on their way as a next generation Dogfish Head.
    The saying its the journey, not the destination resonates strongly with me as this chapter of my beer story comes to a close.
    Very poetic. Wicked Weed's fall from grace here in Asheville has been epic, singular, and total. As a small business owner here in town, I would have a tough time denying the dump truck of money, but WW has clearly burned any and all bridges in a town that lives and breathes "Go Local."

Wicked Weed is dead. Long live Wicked Weed.

Boojum Brewing
    Graveyard Fields
    Blueberry Coffee Porter

Poured in a Black Abbey snifter.
    12 oz can fills it to the brim with an easy 1.5 inch coffee coloured head that disappears completely in about 2 minutes.

The nose is all kinds of blueberry, blueberry pie sweetness, vanilla, chocolate and coffee.

The nose may be the best part of the beer.
    The blueberry start is really overwhelmed by roasty coffee flavour.

A really fine, enjoyable beer.

Nose is sour blackberry.

I thought last week when I posted the Meat Loaf video you were 2 outta 3. Well, maybe you're four outta four now:

Younger, handsomer, more sophisticated palate and better at prose than I am. Nicely stated.

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    The late great Dino Flintstone would still be with us if Abita Purple Haze had been on tap in Bedrock...

Summer Shandy-Leinenkugel's (I don't care how it's spelled)

Maybe we should have a Mehh, Beer thread .

Several leftover 12 ounce bottles from our "honored" house guests the last few days. Had one last PM after an evening of very vigorous ballroom/latin/swing dancing at our studio. It was yellow, cold, wet, mildly foamy, cloudy, lemon-y and thirst-quenching, non-bitter and low ABV. I'll drink one more after mowing the lawn later this week. I was surprised to find a 72 rating on beeradvocate. I'd have thought 40-something, or less.

I don't mind seeing this left in the fridge after the guests leave but don't leave me your @#$%ing coorslite, especially after you sample a Dragon's Milk (at another location), tell me how a great a beer it is and don't purchase/leave one (or more) of these to accompany the other swill you consume/leave behind. It'll be interesting when I discuss this with Mrs. dd later this week and she says, "Oh, just be thankful." My response will probably be something like, "Oh yea, how would you react to a bottle of Boone's Farm (is that still made?) or Mad Dog 20/20 in your fridge?"

Summer Shandy-Leinenkugel's (I don't care how it's spelled)

Maybe we should have a Mehh, Beer thread .

Several leftover 12 ounce bottles from our "honored" house guests the last few days. Had one last PM after an evening of very vigorous ballroom/latin/swing dancing at our studio. It was yellow, cold, wet, mildly foamy, cloudy, lemon-y and thirst-quenching, non-bitter and low ABV. I'll drink one more after mowing the lawn later this week. I was surprised to find a 72 rating on beeradvocate. I'd have thought 40-something, or less.

I don't mind seeing this left in the fridge after the guests leave but don't leave me your @#$%ing coorslite, especially after you sample a Dragon's Milk (at another location), tell me how a great a beer it is and don't purchase/leave one (or more) of these to accompany the other swill you consume/leave behind. It'll be interesting when I discuss this with Mrs. dd later this week and she says, "Oh, just be thankful." My response will probably be something like, "Oh yea, how would you react to a bottle of Boone's Farm (is that still made?) or Mad Dog 20/20 in your fridge?"
    A good starter/intro shandy.

My guess is the best are really made to taste on the spot.

As far as Radlers go, Steigel Grapefruit and Lemon are amazing. Another German grapefruit / hefeweizen blend (Schohoffer?) is also tasty.

A good starter/intro shandy.

My guess is the best are really made to taste on the spot.

As far as Radlers go, Steigel Grapefruit and Lemon are amazing. Another German grapefruit / hefeweizen blend (Schohoffer?) is also tasty.
    Agree on the Steigel Grapefruit. Haven't gulped the Lemon yet.

You got it on the German one. In fact, you're even mentioned in the following:

From 8/14/15:

Schöfferhofer-Radeberger Gruppe KG

50% unfiltered hefeweizen and 50% grapefruit drink. Is it a beer cocktail or a shandy or a radler? I'm not sure what the hell the name of the 330 ml beverage I was drinking last PM was technically. All kidding aside (or most of it anyway), this was a rather refreshing concoction on a warm summer evening. Poured a hazy, yellow-orange hue with a fizzy head that dissipated rather quickly. Aromas as expected of bananas and cloves from the wheat beer faction and a Dole/Del Monte grapefruit-orange juice blend from the squeezed fruit brigade. Little bitterness, guessing IBUs of 10-15 with an ABW of "not more than 3.2%" which translates to an ABV of "not more than" 4.054%. Yes, I had to Google that for a numerical translation. This was part of a package deal from fuse last weekend as we swapped Duke, beer and travel stories over a mug of iced nitro/cask-conditioned, non-alcoholic coffee at Brew, a real friendly coffee and beer joint in downtown Raleigh in the Seaboard Station collection of shops and restaurants. Something I'd likely never have purchased or even ventured to taste on my own, but prompted by its inclusion in the beer box, I gladly consumed it rather quickly so I could enjoy another hefe that I'll likely post about tomorrow.