Page 12 of 2123 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422621125121012 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Beer

I enjoy the Frambosen--never had the pleasure to try the 2 Below. I will see if my son-in-law can wrap some up in his check in luggage to bring for Christmas.

ymmm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by ohioguy2 View Post
    I enjoy the Frambosen--never had the pleasure to try the 2 Below. I will see if my son-in-law can wrap some up in his check in luggage to bring for Christmas.
    Excellent idea. I have done that for years (and made my family do it, too). We have 'imported' brews from Oregon and Colorado on a regular basis in running shoes, sweatshirts, soccer sox, ski gloves and boots and anything else that would protect the precious cargo. Lost 1 beer in the many years when my Dad shipped some beer with a cork instead of a cap and it popped and leaked into some old sox and sweatshirts-messy.

DD, the Schlafly Barleywine comes in 750ml, not 6ers. I can get you two.

I think I've seen that New Belgium Frambosen in the Wine & Cheese store here.

edit: I just found Biere de Garde at Wild Oats of all places. So I got one Barleywine and on Biere de Garde.

We can meet in W-S on like the 22nd or something. The whole shebang is about $81 plus tax.
    Last edited by throatybeard; 12-17-2007 at 07:12 PM.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    DD, the Schlafly Barleywine comes in 750ml, not 6ers. I can get you two.

I think I've seen that New Belgium Frambosen in the Wine & Cheese store here.

edit: I just found Biere de Garde at Wild Oats of all places. So I got one Barleywine and on Biere de Garde.

We can meet in W-S on like the 22nd or something. The whole shebang is about $81 plus tax.
    Keep shoppin'. Your selections sound fine-I already PM'ed you. Neither Lavabe or I will be able to make the pick-up on 12/22 due to family obligations. We will journey to WS on 12/23 for the exchange of goods(beer for cash). I can keep it here or take it to PM. Some Frambosen sounds delilcious. Thanks, many times over.

Thought I'd add a beer that I had for the first time last night and see if anyone has thoughts on other beers from this brewery.

The beer was Sherwood Forest's Archer's Ale. It was a pretty standard pale ale, which is not a knock. The beer was very crisp and light, and finished with a bite that reminded me of gin. All in all a solid beer although not something I would go out of my way to drink--at least not in the winter. It would be a good summer afternoon beer. I was told it usually comes in a can, which I think is fantastic (Dale's Pale Ale, a can beer, is one of Colorado's finest).

ymm, beer

Quote Originally Posted by rockymtn devil View Post
    Thought I'd add a beer that I had for the first time last night and see if anyone has thoughts on other beers from this brewery.

The beer was Sherwood Forest's Archer's Ale. It was a pretty standard pale ale, which is not a knock. The beer was very crisp and light, and finished with a bite that reminded me of gin. All in all a solid beer although not something I would go out of my way to drink--at least not in the winter. It would be a good summer afternoon beer. I was told it usually comes in a can, which I think is fantastic (Dale's Pale Ale, a can beer, is one of Colorado's finest).
    clever name for a beer, but I have never heard of the beer. anyone else out there with a taste of this one?

ymmm, beer

any other new winter seasonal brews out there that any one has tried recently?

ymmm, beer

this thread is on life support but I will shamelessly nudge it BTTT with a public shout out to Dr. Throaty for his delicious and safe delivery to Lavabe in WS today of the Schlafly 2007 recruiting class. I shared 4 Schlaflys with my son and his friend tonite(4/3=1 1/3 beers each) and here they are:

1. Winter ESB-not too bitter and mildly malty and smooth with the additon of rye to the usual roasted barley in the brew.
    2. Christmas Ale-orange peel and cloves in gentle amounts added to a brown ale with a nice nose and pleasant palate
    3. Oatmeal Stout-some one else reviewed this a month or so ago. very smooth and mildly chocolatey roasted flavor
    4. Pumkin Ale-also reviewed in November and just as tasty now with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves with a subtle pumpkin flavor in a brown ale base

Thank you, thank you, thank you, oh great bearded one. Hope you enjoy the Sweetwater Festive Ale that was destined for Raleigh today. A small sacrifice for the assortment you assembled over the last several weeks.

Thumbs up

A thread about beer should not be allowed to die! For New Year's Eve, a group of us get together to deep fry perch and the guys all bring a new sixer to introduce to the beer drinkers. That would be all of us. My favorite beer and wine shop (Andersons) has at least six types of Bells from K-Zoo ,Michigan. I believe I will try their Cherry Wheat even though it is about $14 a six pack--then again I may purchase a couple of the large containers of Arrogant Bastard--then again I may get both--ah rats, I had made up my mind until I started typing this.

Smile Hop to it!

A thread about beer should not be allowed to die! For New Year's Eve, a group of us get together to deep fry perch and the guys all bring a new sixer to introduce to the beer drinkers. That would be all of us. My favorite beer and wine shop (Andersons) has at least six types of Bells from K-Zoo ,Michigan. I believe I will try their Cherry Wheat even though it is about $14 a six pack--then again I may purchase a couple of the large containers of Arrogant Bastard--then again I may get both--ah rats, I had made up my mind until I started typing this.
    Solution: purchase them all ... then trade some with other DBR'rs!
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

ymm, beer

$14/6er is expensive-it had better be high gravity at that price. I bought 6ers of their Java Stout and Cherry Stout about 2 weeks ago for about $10-11/6er. They are both about 7-7.5% ABV. The Java Stout is brewed with coffee beans and tastes smooth and coffee-like. Drink it at room temperature and enjoy . The Cherry Stout has a slight but rich, dark cherry flavor and is slightly chocolatey and also very smooth. Also, best enjoyed at room temperature.

You also can't go wrong with a couple of Bastards. Have you ever had the Double Bastard? My suggestion: buy one 6er and take 3 of those to the party(saving the other 3 for yourself, you silly twit ) and then take 1 of the Bastards and that adds up to almost a 6 pack!

I will be looking for a beer tasting review after you are done with your party and are conscious enough to post again

ymmm, beer

A few other Bell's beers I have had in the past and enjoyed tremendously were the Expedition Stout, the Vanilla Porter(or Stout, I can't remember, it was probably 5-7 years ago), and their Third Coast Ale(I think) Their web site has all thier products listed and when they are available. Enjoy

O.K. I just returned from Anderson's with a six pack of Bell's 6 Wheat and a few bottles of Arrogant Bastard. These will be my samples for our New Year's Eve party. I will report as much as I can remember about what everyone brings.

ymm, beer

O.K. I just returned from Anderson's with a six pack of Bell's 6 Wheat and a few bottles of Arrogant Bastard. These will be my samples for our New Year's Eve party. I will report as much as I can remember about what everyone brings.
    Sounds tasty.

Last night's beer: Biere de Garde from Schlafly's-a Belgian style farmhouse ale-a bit sour but with a citrus bite. Mildly malty and a nice finish. Thanks, Throaty!

Talking Yumm, Beer!

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Sounds tasty.

Last night's beer: Biere de Garde from Schlafly's-a Belgian style farmhouse ale-a bit sour but with a citrus bite. Mildly malty and a nice finish. Thanks, Throaty!
    Congrats on your 400th post, devildeac!

The Biere de Garde was not as hoppy as I expected. The sourness was interesting as was the malt. Agreed on the finish.

Throaty's delivery is now here in Atlanta, waiting for delivery to EarlJam.

Thanks Throaty & devildeac. At some point, we'll have to see about meeting up with ohioguy!

Cheers,
    Lavabe
    Last edited by Lavabe; 12-26-2007 at 09:48 PM. Reason: punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    At some point, we'll have to see about meeting up with ohioguy!
    Isn't ohioguy going to be in Durham soon to catch some games, including WBB? Lavabe, I think this calls for a "business" trip to Duke, yes?

I and three friends will be in Durham for 6 or 7 nights that encompass the Tenn. and Carolina women's. Let me know if any of you are going to be in town.

I and three friends will be in Durham for 6 or 7 nights that encompass the Tenn. and Carolina women's. Let me know if any of you are going to be in town.
    I'll be at both games.

LET'S GO DUKE!!!

I tend to be a hop head. Dog Fish 60 minute is a staple. I was drinking the Stone IPA over Christmas. Yum.

I live in Boston, but am currently in Atlanta. While in Boston, I was liking the Sam Adams Winter Mix 12 pack. Not a big fan of the Cranberry Lambic, but every other beer in there is good. (The Boston Lager is one of them, but the others are not regular production beers.)

Also had the Sam Imperial Pilsner over the holidays. 4 pack - costs about $10 Very hoppy.

Finally, I recommend the following website to the beer lovers in this thread: www.beeradvocate.com

Things to do in Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by SlimSlowSlider View Post
    I tend to be a hop head. Dog Fish 60 minute is a staple. I was drinking the Stone IPA over Christmas. Yum.

I live in Boston, but am currently in Atlanta. While in Boston, I was liking the Sam Adams Winter Mix 12 pack. Not a big fan of the Cranberry Lambic, but every other beer in there is good. (The Boston Lager is one of them, but the others are not regular production beers.)

Also had the Sam Imperial Pilsner over the holidays. 4 pack - costs about $10 Very hoppy.

Finally, I recommend the following website to the beer lovers in this thread: www.beeradvocate.com
    It's a rainy day in Georgia! Welcome to town!

While in town, check out Sweetwater "Sweet Georgia Brown Ale." You'll be lucky to get it on draft. Sweetwater 420 on draught is available at most fine establishments. In bottle, the IPA will suit your hoppy tastes. However, if you really want a fine beer experience, go directly to Decatur's BrickStorePub. The selection is solid, and the Belgian Room selections are hard to beat. If you're staying downtown, you can get on the East-West (East) line of MARTA. PM me if you need directions.

You might check and see if Sweetwater is running tours of its brewery. You can sample on draught all of their line of beverages for a few $$. Not sure about their brewery tour schedule at this time of year.

Cheers,
    Lavabe