Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    The question will be whether he gets three years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think you're being a little generous to your team here. Tennessee isn't in first place in the current SEC standings, AP poll, Coaches poll, or Sagarin rankings, so I think it's fair to say it's not a lock that they're the best team in the east.
    If not Tennessee, then who is the best team in the east this year? The Florida team we beat? The Georgia team we beat? One of the other teams no one thinks is good? Polls are always dumb. Standings are deceptive based on unequal schedules. The only real evidence is what happens on the field, and Tennessee is the only team undefeated in SEC east play.

Quote Originally Posted by vfefrenzy View Post
    If not Tennessee, then who is the best team in the east this year? The Florida team we beat? The Georgia team we beat? One of the other teams no one thinks is good? Polls are always dumb. Standings are deceptive based on unequal schedules. The only real evidence is what happens on the field, and Tennessee is the only team undefeated in SEC east play.
    I hear you that schedules are unbalanced. But, yes, it is entirely reasonable to assert that Florida is the best team in the SEC East this year (this SEC East might be the worst division in the Power 5 conferences, but that's another story). I'm sure you know that the best team does not always win an individual game, especially if the better team is playing on the road.

I would put Florida and Tennessee as very close, basically 50/50 right now on who's the better team.

I'm looking forward to the Alabama, Texas A&M game at 3:30 today. This is the marquee match-up of the day with the outcome influencing both the SEC West and College Football Play-offs. I was listening to Sports Radio this morning and the analyst stated A&M will have to take some passing shots downfield because that is where Alabama's defense gives teams opportunities, but he doubted Trevor Knight is a good enough passer to make Alabama pay.
    Bob Green

Halftime: Alabama 13, Texas A&M 7.

Alabama dominated early building a 13-0 lead but left points on the field by settling for FGs in the Red Zone plus missing a FG. The stage is set for an exciting 2nd half.
    Bob Green

A&M takes the lead in the 3rd 14-13.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

A&M extends an Alabama drive with a stupid Roughing the Passer penalty and Alabama takes advantage to go back on top 20-14.
    Bob Green

And 'bama back in the lead with a TD. Don't tell my cousin, but I'm okay if the Tide lose.

A&M didn't need that. But at least they get it right back. Bama scores a TD on a fumble recovery. They go for 2 but don't convert.

Well that was fast, Alabama rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by ipatent View Post
    Well that was fast, Alabama rolling.
    Cream rising to the top. AND Saban has plenty of legitimate griping at his team too.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Cream rising to the top. AND Saban has plenty of legitimate griping at his team too.
    Their talent isn't just on the field. They won the championship game last year with special teams, always a sign of good coaching, and a gutsy call on the onside kick by the head coach.

tOSU -- seeeeeeeeeeee ya!

This one hurts the Buckeyes ... it was a bad loss. But I don't think they are out of it yet. If they win out -- which means beating Michigan, then beating Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, they still might sneak into the playoffs.

As of today, the four playoff teams are (1) Alabama, (2) Michigan, (3) Clemson and (4) Washington. I'm sure one (or some) of them will lose going forward, but how crazy would it be if all four stayed unbeaten, then an unbeaten Big 12 team (Baylor or West Virginia) got left out? Probably won't happen, but I'd love to hear the screams if it did.

Clemson has a game at FSU next week that they could lose. Washington has a tough one at Utah coming up. Michigan has their showdown with Ohio State. Alabama looks pretty solid, although both LSU and Auburn (did you see what they did to Arkansas?) appear to be on the upswing.

It didn't help Louisville that Houston was KILLED by SMU. Houston was their last ranked opponent ... the operative word is "was".

If Ohio State wins out the rest of the season, I'd give them about a 90% chance of making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    If Ohio State wins out the rest of the season, I'd give them about a 90% chance of making the playoffs.
    I'd guess you are too low on that one, but it's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    This one hurts the Buckeyes ... it was a bad loss. But I don't think they are out of it yet. If they win out -- which means beating Michigan, then beating Wisconsin or Nebraska in the title game, they still might sneak into the playoffs.

As of today, the four playoff teams are (1) Alabama, (2) Michigan, (3) Clemson and (4) Washington. I'm sure one (or some) of them will lose going forward, but how crazy would it be if all four stayed unbeaten, then an unbeaten Big 12 team (Baylor or West Virginia) got left out? Probably won't happen, but I'd love to hear the screams if it did.

Clemson has a game at FSU next week that they could lose. Washington has a tough one at Utah coming up. Michigan has their showdown with Ohio State. Alabama looks pretty solid, although both LSU and Auburn (did you see what they did to Arkansas?) appear to be on the upswing.

It didn't help Louisville that Houston was KILLED by SMU. Houston was their last ranked opponent ... the operative word is "was".
    I'll be moderately surprised if three of those 4 listed above don't lose at least one before the end of the year. I also expect every Big XII team to have 2 losses before all is said and done given OU appears to be ready to run over the league and already has 2 losses. Still, if WVU goes undefeated (I am going to pretend Baylor doesn't exist as we all should), I am curious how they have a worse resume than an undefeated Washington. The Pac XII really hasn't performed much better than the Big XII this year.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    I'll be moderately surprised if three of those 4 listed above don't lose at least one before the end of the year. I also expect every Big XII team to have 2 losses before all is said and done given OU appears to be ready to run over the league and already has 2 losses. Still, if WVU goes undefeated (I am going to pretend Baylor doesn't exist as we all should), I am curious how they have a worse resume than an undefeated Washington. The Pac XII really hasn't performed much better than the Big XII this year.
    The Pac 12 can actually do math.

It's a good question. Here is the problem for WV.

Right now they have not played a single game against a team that was ranked at the time or will be at any time this season. That includes a 3 point win over BYU and 1 point win over Kansas St, both at home. Ok St is almost up to being ranked, but that is their opponent next week, so if they win that, it will bump the Cowboys down again. Baylor and Oklahoma play each other on the 12th, which will bump one up and drop the other. If Baylor wins that one, WV's first ranked opponent won't happen until late November and will be a team not even in the top 20. They do finish with Baylor in early December and both the Baylor and Oklahoma games are more home games (they only have four road games all year). That's a tough resume to get excited about.

Washington got Stanford when they were ranked in the top ten. Clearly they didn't deserve that, but they do have that to point to. They will play at ranked Utah this week. USC and Washington State are not currently ranked right now because they both stumbled out of the gates, but both are hot and streaking and could easily be ranked by the time the Huskies play them. And the Pac 12 title game would have another ranked opponent.

Perhaps as a conference, the Pac 12 isnt' doing better than the Big 12, but head to head an undefeated WV won't compare favorably with an undefeated UW.

Quote Originally Posted by gurufrisbee View Post
    The Pac 12 can actually do math.

It's a good question. Here is the problem for WV.

Right now they have not played a single game against a team that was ranked at the time or will be at any time this season. That includes a 3 point win over BYU and 1 point win over Kansas St, both at home. Ok St is almost up to being ranked, but that is their opponent next week, so if they win that, it will bump the Cowboys down again. Baylor and Oklahoma play each other on the 12th, which will bump one up and drop the other. If Baylor wins that one, WV's first ranked opponent won't happen until late November and will be a team not even in the top 20. They do finish with Baylor in early December and both the Baylor and Oklahoma games are more home games (they only have four road games all year). That's a tough resume to get excited about.

Washington got Stanford when they were ranked in the top ten. Clearly they didn't deserve that, but they do have that to point to. They will play at ranked Utah this week. USC and Washington State are not currently ranked right now because they both stumbled out of the gates, but both are hot and streaking and could easily be ranked by the time the Huskies play them. And the Pac 12 title game would have another ranked opponent.

Perhaps as a conference, the Pac 12 isnt' doing better than the Big 12, but head to head an undefeated WV won't compare favorably with an undefeated UW.
    Good analysis ... and also remember that Washington would be 13-0 ... the Big 12 champ can be no better than 12-0.

It's probably a moot point since I too believe that almost everybody we're talking about will take a loss, but all other things being equal, the Pac 12 champ is ahead of the Big 12 champ ... so is the SEC, Big Ten and the ACC champ -- the Big 12 brings up the rear (they REALLY need a title game).

Please, can someone explain to me what Michigan State was doing at the end of their game with Michigan?

Michigan leads 30-17 when Michigan State scores with one second left to make it 30-23.

Then Michigan State tries to go for two -- but they fumble a pitch, Michigan picks it up and returns it for two points ... final: Michigan 32-23.

Okay, it didn't really impact the outcome of the game, but what was the reasoning behind the two-point try there?

A one point extra point cuts the lead to six and you can win with a touchdown. The two-pointer, even if successful, still forces you to get a touchdown.

Why go for two in that situation?

Was the coach working on the point spread? Did he have MSU and five? What was the spread?

Or was there something else going on that I don't get?
    Last edited by Newton_14; 10-29-2016 at 09:09 PM. Reason: helping Oly out God Bless him!