Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Important TD at the end of the half, they get the ball first. Huge possession to start the second half. Big half for the ACC.
    Um, like I said?

Um, like I said?
    Good call. FSU put the wood to the Rebs in the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Good call. FSU put the wood to the Rebs in the second half.
    Yeah, I tured it off before the end, but that freshman QB has some wheels, doesn't he?

Yeah, I tured it off before the end, but that freshman QB has some wheels, doesn't he?
    Crazy, since Manziel, how successful Freshmen QBs have become. You had Winston immediately after him, and now just this year:

Francoise at FSU
    Buechele at Texas
    Eason at Georgia
    Hurts at Alabama

That's just 4 off the top of my head, and of course, it's only one game -- so that could cut both ways by 2 months from now.

Seems like the passing offenses in high school (especially the Art Briles/Todd Dodge/Chad Morris disciples in Texas) and the way 7 on 7s have become an AAU circuit have prepared these guys a lot more for the college game. What's interesting, though, is that it also seems like there are a lot more transfers at the QB position than there used to be as a result of the "next great program savior" demanding playing time as a freshmen. That can become a problem, like at Texas A&M. And coaches on the hot seat who can't stay the course will find themselves with much quicker hooks on established, yet not elite, QBs when they have a freshmen phenom waiting in the wings.

Spiders Uva

Shout out to my nephew who is the starting center for the Spiders and their dominating win over the hoos, first since 1947

End of Okie St/C Michigan game is a worse end of game ref screw up than 5th down and our Miami game last year. Crazy last play for CMU to win that shouldn't have been allowed.

Northwestern lost to Illinois state today so next week will be two teams coming off embarrassing losses

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tex Devil View Post
    End of Okie St/C Michigan game is a worse end of game ref screw up than 5th down and our Miami game last year. Crazy last play for CMU to win that shouldn't have been allowed.
    Probably nit picky to say one is worse than the other but I'd still say Duke/Miami was worse. Each had a bad ref screw up but in one case the team that should have won still had a play to do so and was the huge favorite to win still, in the other they did not. Feel bad for Okie St but if they defend a hail mary play they still win, Duke did not have that luxury.

Safe to say that given a choice, teams would chose the Okie St post ref screw up over the Duke one.

Well, I try not to overreact to Week 1, and similarly try not to overreact to Week 2. As most remember, most predicted we would be around 6-6, give or take a game. Before the season, I thought we needed to be at least 4-2 going into the second half. However, the games we had to win included Wake. Again, you don't overreact to one week, as much as this loss really stings. Hopefully it's a reality check but you don't start jumping ship. Thankfully, Northwestern has not played well yet. This makes the Northwestern game the most important game of the season. A win there, we can go into ND at 2-1 and be okay. Regardless, we see that this team is young, is talented, but still putting it together.

As for the Wake game in general, I was surprised that we basically abandoned the running game. Even if Wake is stout up front, you have to still run and balance the attack. If anything, it showed the confidence the coaches have in Jones to keep throwing that way. We still need balance though. I was also surprised to see the tight ends out of the offense. Not sure if that was Wake's D, or what. I still think Jones played well considering it's his second start and what he was asked to do. He just needs some help with the running attack. He still has plenty of room to grow, but still lots to like. Also great pass on the long completion. Too bad we couldn't capitalize.

The missed kicks didn't help, but I'll optimistically chalk those up to freshmen nerves. The kicks looked solid enough just right. My son distracted me so I missed a botched hold mentioned above. What you hope doesn't happen is a confidence problem. When that goes for a kicker, that s hard to beat. Hope he gets a few easy ones next week to get it going.

Well, very tough loss. As several said before the game, Wake could be dangerous but with our difficult schedule was one of the games we needed to win. Didn't happen, so it means Northwestern is a must game if this team is going to try to make a bowl. Let's go get Northwestern and we'll figure out the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Well, I try not to overreact to Week 1, and similarly try not to overreact to Week 2. As most remember, most predicted we would be around 6-6, give or take a game. Before the season, I thought we needed to be at least 4-2 going into the second half. However, the games we had to win included Wake. Again, you don't overreact to one week, as much as this loss really stings. Hopefully it's a reality check but you don't start jumping ship. Thankfully, Northwestern has not played well yet. This makes the Northwestern game the most important game of the season. A win there, we can go into ND at 2-1 and be okay. Regardless, we see that this team is young, is talented, but still putting it together.

As for the Wake game in general, I was surprised that we basically abandoned the running game. Even if Wake is stout up front, you have to still run and balance the attack. If anything, it showed the confidence the coaches have in Jones to keep throwing that way. We still need balance though. I was also surprised to see the tight ends out of the offense. Not sure if that was Wake's D, or what. I still think Jones played well considering it's his second start and what he was asked to do. He just needs some help with the running attack. He still has plenty of room to grow, but still lots to like. Also great pass on the long completion. Too bad we couldn't capitalize.

The missed kicks didn't help, but I'll optimistically chalk those up to freshmen nerves. The kicks looked solid enough just right. My son distracted me so I missed a botched hold mentioned above. What you hope doesn't happen is a confidence problem. When that goes for a kicker, that s hard to beat. Hope he gets a few easy ones next week to get it going.

Well, very tough loss. As several said before the game, Wake could be dangerous but with our difficult schedule was one of the games we needed to win. Didn't happen, so it means Northwestern is a must game if this team is going to try to make a bowl. Let's go get Northwestern and we'll figure out the rest.
    *Edit* Realized this was posted in the wrong thread. My bad. Please ignore.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Arkansas, at TCU, gave up a TD with about two minutes to go. But the TCU QB, who, scored, does the throat slash, meaning a kickoff from the 20. Arkansas marches right down field to score. Needing the two point conversion, they call a double reverse pass by the WR to the QB. That OC has some stones.

While I was typing, TCU runs the KO back to the UA 25, then throws a TD which is nullified by the receiver going out of bounds on his own. Then, UA blocks the FG attempt, so it's now OT.

My brother is probably having a heart attack in the stands right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Arkansas, at TCU, gave up a TD with about two minutes to go. But the TCU QB, who, scored, does the throat slash, meaning a kickoff from the 20. Arkansas marches right down field to score. Needing the two point conversion, they call a double reverse pass by the WR to the QB. That OC has some stones.

While I was typing, TCU runs the KO back to the UA 25, then throws a TD which is nullified by the receiver going out of bounds on his own. Then, UA blocks the FG attempt, so it's now OT.

My brother is probably having a heart attack in the stands right now.
    A) can we borrow their OC.

B) the NCAA is the most prudish organization since the actual Pilgrims. Penalties for throat slashing?? really??

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Sours View Post
    A) can we borrow their OC.

B) the NCAA is the most prudish organization since the actual Pilgrims. Penalties for throat slashing?? really??
    That rule has been in place for a while.

UA wins in 2OT with a Connette like QB run.

Any of our MDs know a cardiologist in Fort Worth?

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    That rule has been in place for a while.
    Don't get me wrong, I know it's been a rule. I just love complaining about it every time it pops up.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Outlaw View Post
    Probably nit picky to say one is worse than the other but I'd still say Duke/Miami was worse. Each had a bad ref screw up but in one case the team that should have won still had a play to do so and was the huge favorite to win still, in the other they did not. Feel bad for Okie St but if they defend a hail mary play they still win, Duke did not have that luxury.

Safe to say that given a choice, teams would chose the Okie St post ref screw up over the Duke one.
    Disagree. Our game last year was in-play call failures. The officials in the Okie St game today made a dead ball decision that was binary. End of game, or one more offensive play. They made up a rule since they did t know the rule. CMU got another play and the rest is history. But Okie St deserves it for reasons I won't get into.

Disagree. Our game last year was in-play call failures. The officials in the Okie St game today made a dead ball decision that was binary. End of game, or one more offensive play. They made up a rule since they did t know the rule. CMU got another play and the rest is history. But Okie St deserves it for reasons I won't get into.
    Duke was in play and post play failures. They reviewed and missed being down, they seemed to review a block in the back despite not being able to though I think they denied that after the fact.

I may have misheard what happened today but my understanding is they applied a rule but missed it had an exception for this situation, not they made up a rule.

And the bottom line is Duke had no chance to win once they completed the blunder of errors. Today, Okie St still had a chance to win and it was hugely in their odds. Run that situation 99 more times and we likely saw the only successful attempt. Ok, these are college kids and not pros so maybe jack that up to 4 more successful attempts or 5% in total? 95%, 99%, whatever it is, Okie State was still in the drivers seat to win post official error instead of 100%. Duke went from 100% to 0%. Okie State lost on an exception to the rule I bet many fans don't know. Duke lost despite video evidence showing a knee down which pretty much any fan knows is play over.

ECU beat State yesterday 33-30. Everyone is calling for DD's head.

Quote Originally Posted by gocanes0506 View Post
    ECU beat State yesterday 33-30. Everyone is calling for DD's head.

Wait! What'd I do?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Ok State blew it.

In one sense Ok State deserved to win since if the refs got it right they would have. However, why did the Ok State QB even throw the ball. Run around until 0 and take a knee. Second, defend the Hail Mary guys. Lastly, at home against a MAC team if you are in the Big 12 don't let the refs decide the guy, win big.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    In one sense Ok State deserved to win since if the refs got it right they would have. However, why did the Ok State QB even throw the ball. Run around until 0 and take a knee. Second, defend the Hail Mary guys. Lastly, at home against a MAC team if you are in the Big 12 don't let the refs decide the guy, win big.

SoCal
    The coach took the blame for calling the play, but this was a comedy of errors -- vary any one element and the Cowboys win. Or, if you are T. Boone Pickens, a tragedy of errors.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013