Page 17 of 181 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 94duke View Post
    As you said, the shutter is moving very fast. In this case, the shutter speed is the exact rotational speed of the blades. Each frame captured shows the blades in the same position.
    The same effect is why a car's wheels look like they are spinning backwards on TV.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/why-do-wheels...rds-1593807400
    One thing the helicopter video seems to show is that the helicopter's blade rotation speed remains constant throughout. If the rotation speed changed then we wouldn't see the blades remain in perfect sync with the camera's frame rate.

So, how does the helicopter increase it's lift and take off if not by increasing the rate of it's blade rotation? I have a conjecture, but would like to hear a response from someone with knowledge before I duck duck go it.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    One thing the helicopter video seems to show is that the helicopter's blade rotation speed remains constant throughout. If the rotation speed changed then we wouldn't see the blades remain in perfect sync with the camera's frame rate.

So, how does the helicopter increase it's lift and take off if not by increasing the rate of it's blade rotation? I have a conjecture, but would like to hear a response from someone with knowledge before I duck duck go it.
    Go ahead and pitch your conjecture

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Go ahead and pitch your conjecture
    That's pretty much what I was angling for.

Clearly the pilot has a foot on the brake, then he removes it for takeoff. That thing surely has an automatic transmission.

I know...strings!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

The opening frame shows it already having increased its blade rotation to a speed sufficient to achieve a constant upward movement. It then changes its angle to have the same blade rotation produce a forward rather than an upward movement.

Both the 'copter AND the camera employ the same Volkswagen CV joint from a 1980 Rabbit, obviously. Then it's just a matter of synching them up.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Red Sox really, really need to take care of that kid with some box seats!
    Some sad news, Ari has passed following complications from the heart transplant. Apparently, he died while listening to the Red Sox game. RIP young man...
    https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...recipient-dies

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    We all know that a camera does not capture every single moment that happens. There is a shutter that is moving really, really fast -- so fast that it creates the illusion of continuous movement from what is really a series of individual snapshots. That is what video is.

So, knowing that, can any of you explain how this video is possible? There are no special effects here.
    This bird figured it out.

When reviewing the security footage from outside his house in Austin, Texas, Al Brooks spotted an unusual sight: a bird seems to hover past the camera with its wings completely stationary. Of course it wasn’t really hovering (and no, it’s not suspended by strings) but rather the frame rate of the camera matched the flaps of the bird’s wings perfectly resulting in a stroboscopic illusion. This is the same stroboscopic effect you might see in a video of airplane propellers that aren’t moving or when the wheels on a car appear to be frozen.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    This bird figured it out.

I suspect that someone created this effect by removing the frames that were not in sink. Video runs at 20 odd frames per second. According to Google hummingbirds ave 54 beats a second.
    Last edited by niveklaen; 07-26-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Had facts wrong

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    I suspect that someone created this effect by removing the frames that were not in sink. Video runs at 20 odd frames per second. According to Google hummingbirds ave 54 beats a second.
    Laden, or unladen?

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    That was definitely not a hummingbird.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    I love it when someone gets clever with something that is often mundane. Here's a very clever take on the airline safety video from the folks at British Airways. You might recognize a few of these folks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCoQwZ9BQ9Q

JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Laden, or unladen?
    African or European?

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    African or European?
    Blue, or yellow?

Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?

Sometimes it's better to sleep on an idea and give it a fresh look in the morning.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post
    Sometimes it's better to sleep on an idea and give it a fresh look in the morning.

He'd be tough to pick out of a line-up

Quote Originally Posted by swood1000 View Post

Will his next tattoo session color the other squares green so he can blend into the wall to the right?

http://herosports.com/college-footba...ing-boost-bgbg

I can't figure out how to put just a picture of the new unc practice football helmets so the above is a link to an article on their new uniforms - Jordan Brand. Yes, it has the Jumpman23 logo on the helmet. Every football helmet should have someone dunking a basketball on the side of it.