Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Countdown to Craziness

Hi!

I am thinking about making the trip to Cameron for Countdown to Craziness. I am looking for info on the pros and cons of attending, what goes on outside Cameron before and after the fun inside (maybe even the day before) and anything that will help make my decision easier.

Thanks in advance.

The event starts off with about two hours of student performances, which are various clubs that put on dance routines and such. Interspersed with these are ridiculously stupid contests like having students play musical chairs or sort potato chips into baskets. These are all sponsored by local businesses, honestly it's a little insulting that they make us sit through this so that Harris Teeter or Lays can try to market themselves to the undergrads. Anyways, this goes on interminably, until finally the actual C2C event starts.

They'll show some hype videos on the scoreboard screen, announce the players (with lots of pyrotechnics and seizure-inducing lights), and then play the scrimmage. Last year they got to reveal the 2015 Championship banner, which was awesome. Usually the scrimmage isn't much to take from, other than a chance to see some of the new guys for the first time. The bench guys will get some burn, but the players all get tired pretty quickly. This year I expect to be different though, because we're so freaking loaded. The game could actually be really competitive, and there's so much depth that we're actually fielding two legitimate teams that could each compete in the ACC. It was pretty obvious from C2C in 2014 that Oak was going to be an unstoppable force, just like in 2013 we saw an early look at how talented Jabari was.

Anyways, the Crazies are always in terrible form - not only do the new students not know any of the cheers, but there's not an opponent to cheer against, so it's eerily quiet for long stretches. After the scrimmage (two 10-minute periods) Coach K and the captains may say a few words. In past year's they've done a dunk contest, but last year they didn't. I REALLY hope they bring it back this year, because we've got two former McDonald's AA Dunk Contest winners on our squad in Grayson and Frank, plus guys like Harry, Jayson, Jeter, and Javin could put on quite a show. Two years ago Marshall won in an upset, when Grayson failed to even complete a dunk in the final round.

Also some years they've turned the event into an all-day carnival, with music outside the stadium, family activities like bounce houses for kids, and even opportunities to meet some of the players. Again, they didn't do this last year and I'm not sure if they'll do it this year.

I'll get to go as the spouse of a grad student this year, and am really looking forward to it. This year's team is going to be special. Honestly though, if I had to pay the $50 or whatever per ticket, and it took a significant effort to get there, I don't think I'd go. Hope you enjoy yourself!

Perhaps Duke started countdown to craziness because "all the cool kids were doing it" e.g. UNC etc. using a season opening celebration for favorable publicity and recruiting. However, I don't think their hearts have ever really been in it--silliness (which is not a bad thing, necessarily) is not really Coach K's thing and I echo the reply above in terms of the experience. People like different things of course and it might be fun to go once and see for yourself, but it might not be worth spending a lot of money and time on. I just wait for the scrimmage and watch it online on whatever they are calling the video service you can sign up for on goduke these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Perhaps Duke started countdown to craziness because "all the cool kids were doing it" e.g. UNC etc. using a season opening celebration for favorable publicity and recruiting. However, I don't think their hearts have ever really been in it--silliness (which is not a bad thing, necessarily) is not really Coach K's thing and I echo the reply above in terms of the experience. People like different things of course and it might be fun to go once and see for yourself, but it might not be worth spending a lot of money and time on. I just wait for the scrimmage and watch it online on whatever they are calling the video service you can sign up for on goduke these days.
    I think this is well said. I got tickets and went for the first time last year. I was so excited! For me, I liked the scrimmage and walked away wishing all the other silly acts could have been replaced by basketball activities like a slam dunk contest and a 3pt shooting contest. Others may have enjoyed all the skits and thought the scrimmage was just sloppy hoops, I don't know. Like rocketeli said, people like different things. After reading about our recruits for months and looking forward to seeing if Allen and Kennard are even better and seeing Amile back on the court, I might try to go again this year but I'll admit that my expectations are different.

Pros:
    -First true sighting of the Duke team in person
    -Hyper active Duke kids (especially freshman) who get to kick off basketball with this event (referring to fans, not players)
    -It's in Cameron
    -It's fun

Cons:
    -It's a show and entertainment, not basketball
    -You get to hear DBR debate the effectiveness of x player or the minutes for y player
    -One player will play out of his mind, leading DBR to anoint said player a starting position of plenty of minutes

Would I go?
    In a heartbeat. It's Duke basketball, and I'm obsessed
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    Hi!

I am thinking about making the trip to Cameron for Countdown to Craziness. I am looking for info on the pros and cons of attending, what goes on outside Cameron before and after the fun inside (maybe even the day before) and anything that will help make my decision easier.

Thanks in advance.
    If it were me and I could only make one trip, I'd wait for a real game, even an exhibition game. I think you'll have a better experience in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    If it were me and I could only make one trip, I'd wait for a real game, even an exhibition game. I think you'll have a better experience in many ways.
    I have been to CDTC and while I liked flyingdutchdevil's pro and con comments above I tend to agree with Hallcity and take in an exhibition game. Probably just as easy to get tickets too. On the other hand I did like the Indian music and dancing so if you are into things like that from all around the university you might like it and that's the sort of thing you will see on the Cameron floor before the introduction of the players and the scrummage.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Question Tickets

So I'm going on GoDuke to get CTC tickets, and it look like you now have to buy a package including football and women's basketball tickets. It wasn't this way last year. Am I missing something about just getting CTC tickets?

Thank you in advance for any helpful info.

I've heard through others that the tickets for Countdown to Craziness for non Iron Dukes will go on sale at 8:30 on Monday 10/5. I'd check back then. You should be able to purchase them as single tickets and not part of a package on 10/5.

Thread title change

Shouldn't this thread be Countdown to Countdown 2 Craziness (C2C2C)?

ok I'll leave now. Sorry, it's Friday night

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilFalcon View Post
    So I'm going on GoDuke to get CTC tickets, and it look like you now have to buy a package including football and women's basketball tickets. It wasn't this way last year. Am I missing something about just getting CTC tickets?

Thank you in advance for any helpful info.
    When I ordered mine they were singles and not packaged with the other events. I imagine you will have the option of just CTC or combo with the other events once they go on sale to the public.

Good luck!

Schedule for C2C

From GoDuke.com... the schedule for C2C... Very important for people like me who want to miss all of the extra stuff and only want to see basketball!

Countdown to Craziness presented by Delta Air Lines Schedule of Events (subject to change)
    6 p.m. – Doors open for students
    6:15 p.m. – Doors open for general public
    7:55 p.m. – National anthem
    8 p.m. – Introduction of the 2016-17 Blue Devils
    8:25 p.m. – Blue-White Scrimmage

Wherever the wind blows and the leaves dance.
    Didn't GoDuke, with paid subscription, televise the event last year? I haven't seen any mention of them doing it this year. I would be interested if they did, for the scrimmage portion and introductions. Excited for the season!

It is showing up on the ACC Network on WatchESPN for me.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    It is showing up on the ACC Network on WatchESPN for me.
    Me too. Does anyone know if this is a "live only" thing or will it be in replay later?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Nrrrrvous View Post
    Me too. Does anyone know if this is a "live only" thing or will it be in replay later?
    I'm not positive. I think typically it's live on ESPN3 first. Then I think ESPN usually has a replay available shortly after the conclusion.

But also, GoDuke will almost assuredly have a replay regardless of ESPN's replay. So (1) live = ESPN3 and (2) replay = GoDuke and possibly ESPN.

Again, not positive.

- Chillin

Bear with me folks, I haven't really used ESPN3 or Watchespn before, because the preseason events were on Blue Devil Network, and all the other games were available from Directv. Apparently that is no longer true, because ESPN3 will cover CTC and I guess the two preliminary games. So, I guess I can use my computer to see CTC over ESPN3. But, when I checked the ESPN3 schedule, which is by sport, there is no listing for basketball or CTC. So, I am confused. Help!

Quote Originally Posted by mgtr View Post
    Bear with me folks, I haven't really used ESPN3 or Watchespn before, because the preseason events were on Blue Devil Network, and all the other games were available from Directv. Apparently that is no longer true, because ESPN3 will cover CTC and I guess the two preliminary games. So, I guess I can use my computer to see CTC over ESPN3. But, when I checked the ESPN3 schedule, which is by sport, there is no listing for basketball or CTC. So, I am confused. Help!
    You should see it listed as the second event at this link: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/...Date/20161022/

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    You should see it listed as the second event at this link: http://www.espn.com/watchespn/index/...Date/20161022/
    7:50? Stupid wedding I have to attend...

Best to have a wedding during CTC or an exhibition, I guess.

Sidenote: I have a friend from Duke b-school who had her wedding during Duke-UNC. Yeah - you heard that right. Duke-UNC. SMH...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Got it! Thank you very much, I do want to watch.