Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

unc Athletics Audacity Knows No Bounds - Rape allegations

Fired Illini Coach Tim Beckman now a volunteer coach for UNC defense

"Tim Beckman, who was fired as the Illinois Fighting Illini's football coach last year following a school investigation that found he mistreated players, is now a volunteer coach on defense for North Carolina, a school official confirmed Wednesday."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17381794/fired-illinois-fighting-illini-coach-tim-beckman-volunteering-north-carolina-tar-heels

well, they have a rich tradition to uphold. Gene Chizik got canned from Auburn (*) where he allegedly paid players, had grades changed...and
    landed as defensive coordinator in Chapel Hill. The Carolina Way if you will.

* be advised he didn't get canned because he cheat, bribed players, etc. he got canned because he went 3-9.

Getting Illinois ex-coach ... hmmm.

I wonder how that impacts UNC's trip to Illinois on Sept. 10?

He can drive the bus to and from the airport.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    "Tim Beckman, who was fired as the Illinois Fighting Illini's football coach last year following a school investigation that found he mistreated players, is now a volunteer coach on defense for North Carolina, a school official confirmed Wednesday."
    don't worry, he's promised to mistreat regular students as well. nothing to see here.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    don't worry, he's promised to mistreat regular students as well. nothing to see here.
    Heard he's going to volunteer his skills for parking enforcement too.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Who's more disgusting?

UNC or the NCAA?

We agree that UNC shouldn't be doing this BS, but the NCAA allows them to get away with so much. The sad thing is that UNC continues to do this crap without any repercussions from the NCAA. Sigh...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    UNC or the NCAA?

We agree that UNC shouldn't be doing this BS, but the NCAA allows them to get away with so much. The sad thing is that UNC continues to do this crap without any repercussions from the NCAA. Sigh...
    NEITHER have balls!! UNC doesn't have the balls to own up to their lying cheating ways and the NCAA doesn't have the balls to hold them accountable.

"UNC Athletics Audacity Knows No Bounds"

In other news, water is wet.

I really hate those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    Fired Illini Coach Tim Beckman now a volunteer coach for UNC defense

http://www.espn.com/college-football...lina-tar-heels
    I wonder why he has chosen a volunteer job in NC. He used to coach at Elon and Western Carolina- so perhaps he has a fondness for the area and he has ties to Fedora. Apparently he had issues at both Toledo and Illinois. Certainly UNC is continuing to make questionable decisions. I know some UNC fans who are not very happy with the entire nature of UNC sports at the moment and are very complimentary of Cutcliffe and his approach to Duke football.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I wonder why he has chosen a volunteer job in NC. He used to coach at Elon and Western Carolina- so perhaps he has a fondness for the area and he has ties to Fedora. Apparently he had issues at both Toledo and Illinois. Certainly UNC is continuing to make questionable decisions. I know some UNC fans who are not very happy with the entire nature of UNC sports at the moment and are very complimentary of Cutcliffe and his approach to Duke football.
    "Voices crying in the wilderness?"
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    For this specific act, using Tim Beckman as a volunteer coach, what rule is UNC breaking? What is the NCAA allowing UNC to get away with? Does Tim Beckman not deserve a second chance? I do not know the man but perhaps this is a situation where one should walk a mile in his shoes before criticizing.

My two cents.
    Bob Green

Cease to be respected rival

On this thread and many other threads there is a disgust that the NCAA has done nothing or that UNC will get away with this...

At some point in the past 6 months I have come to the conclusion that even though we as fans feel helpless, we can actually do a lot in this situation. I for one no longer consider UNC as a legitimate respected rival. I will still watch the games against UNC and cheer for Duke to win but UNC has now replaced Md as the team that wants Duke to be a peer/rival but really isn't. So, to UNC fans out there (Art Chansky)...quit "Terping" because I don't really care anymore.

When does Duke play NC State...there is a fan base and series of teams I can respect and we as Duke fans can start to promote as Duke's true rival without the NCAA's help. (BTW when Duke beats UNC in football this year and we get the silly bell back we should just let them keep it or perhaps bring it out at the next NCSU/Duke game to be painted either Duke blue or NC State red).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    For this specific act, using Tim Beckman as a volunteer coach, what rule is UNC breaking? What is the NCAA allowing UNC to get away with? Does Tim Beckman not deserve a second chance? I do not know the man but perhaps this is a situation where one should walk a mile in his shoes before criticizing.

My two cents.
    My point is that UNC can continue to do these things (cheating, hiring fired coaches, etc) as long as either a) the NCAA doesn't punish UNC or b) it's completely legal (but frowned upon) to do (like hiring the parent of a recruit as an assistant coach). The NCAA, unfortunately, enables schools like UNC with either poor referring or poor understanding of the rules or poor rules to begin with.

Personally, I blame the NCAA moreso than any school.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    On this thread and many other threads there is a disgust that the NCAA has done nothing or that UNC will get away with this...

At some point in the past 6 months I have come to the conclusion that even though we as fans feel helpless, we can actually do a lot in this situation. I for one no longer consider UNC as a legitimate respected rival. I will still watch the games against UNC and cheer for Duke to win but UNC has now replaced Md as the team that wants Duke to be a peer/rival but really isn't. So, to UNC fans out there (Art Chansky)...quit "Terping" because I don't really care anymore.

When does Duke play NC State...there is a fan base and series of teams I can respect and we as Duke fans can start to promote as Duke's true rival without the NCAA's help. (BTW when Duke beats UNC in football this year and we get the silly bell back we should just let them keep it or perhaps bring it out at the next NCSU/Duke game to be painted either Duke blue or NC State red).
    Duke and State next play in football in 2023.

If you think that's a wierd piece of scheduling by the ACC, consider that the Duke and UNC women's soccer teams are playing a non-conference game next weekend, because in its infinite wisdom the ACC decided not to make an exception to the way teams rotate on and off each other's conference schedules.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post

I would agree. Collectively, isn't it time we demote UNC and say that it is no longer a "rival"? They are just another team we play. Even better, maybe we can arrange a trade with the SEC, UNC for UK. They get another cheater and we upgrade the academic standards for athletes. At least their athletes have to attend some classes, right?

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I know some UNC fans who are not very happy with the entire nature of UNC sports at the moment and are very complimentary of Cutcliffe and his approach to Duke football.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    "Voices crying in the wilderness?"
    And persona non grata in Chapel Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    He can drive the bus to and from the airport.
    Not with Sylvia under it he can't!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Nicely played. Can't spork you .

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Heard he's going to volunteer his skills for parking enforcement too.
    Now that's the ticket...