Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Jeremy Cash with the Panthers

A nice piece on Jeremy Cash and his efforts to catch on with the Panthers.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Huddle
    “Jeremy Cash is really starting to come into his own” Rivera said recently. “He is one of those guys that seems to be around the ball. Very active around the football, and that is what we are looking for.”

As a Panthers fan, this has me stoked. Would love to see JC make it to the field in Charlotte.

I am rooting for him so hard.

I was hoping we would draft him and was stoked when we grabbed him as a FA! However he is in a tough position trying to play at a different spot, he's small and lacks the top end speed you want at the NFL level. He is a baller though and just has a real sense for the game. Luckily he doesn't have to be a big contributor right now with linebacker being the strongest position.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I was hoping we would draft him and was stoked when we grabbed him as a FA! However he is in a tough position trying to play at a different spot, he's small and lacks the top end speed you want at the NFL level. He is a baller though and just has a real sense for the game. Luckily he doesn't have to be a big contributor right now with linebacker being the strongest position.
    Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers. The Panthers LB corps is tops in the league, and his best chance to make the squad is to excel at special teams, at which he's acquitted himself well so far through preseason. FWIW (not much), the local Panthers bloggers project Cash to make the squad as the last LB, beating out Ben Jacobs who was on the team last season.

I'm watching very intently--if he makes the 53, I'm very likely to pull the trigger on a 57-jersey.

If he doesn't catch on in Carolina, though, he's very unlikely to make it through waivers (the process that would happen before the Panthers could place him on their practice squad). Some other team is bound to scoop him up for their active roster, since many/most/all other teams lack the top-end depth at the position that Carolina enjoys. Despite my absolute giddiness to see Cash on the Panthers squad, it may be in his best interests for burn to land elsewhere.

I was a bit confused about Cash at LB, until I read the article:

Cash, one of the NFL’s most sought after undrafted free agents, came into Panthers rookie camp looking more like a safety instead of the linebacker position the Carolina Panthers had assigned him. “I came in at 205” Cash told me after the Tennessee Titans preseason game. “I am about 221 right now.”

I would have thought he would be more of a strong safety, covering TEs and supporting the run defense, in primarily on running downs.

Now, it seems he'll be more of a passing down kind of LB, still covering TEs, but making plays on the ball. I just can't see him setting the edge against a pulling guard.

He should be amazing on special teams @ 220#. He'd never make it though waivers.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers.
    It's "row to hoe." As in a row of crops. "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Pet peeve.

Back to your regular programming.

Cash is in a great position to make a 53-man roster, although as has been mentioned earlier, he's got a long road to hoe with the Thers. The Panthers LB corps is tops in the league, and his best chance to make the squad is to excel at special teams, at which he's acquitted himself well so far through preseason. FWIW (not much), the local Panthers bloggers project Cash to make the squad as the last LB, beating out Ben Jacobs who was on the team last season.

I'm watching very intently--if he makes the 53, I'm very likely to pull the trigger on a 57-jersey.

If he doesn't catch on in Carolina, though, he's very unlikely to make it through waivers (the process that would happen before the Panthers could place him on their practice squad). Some other team is bound to scoop him up for their active roster, since many/most/all other teams lack the top-end depth at the position that Carolina enjoys. Despite my absolute giddiness to see Cash on the Panthers squad, it may be in his best interests for burn to land elsewhere.
    How about a Panthers' themed "Cash Rules Everything Around Me" tee?
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    It's "row to hoe." As in a row of crops. "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Pet peeve.

That's hilarious...

Jim, while we're on the subject, is it "Coming down the pike" or "Coming down the pipe"?

... "Road to hoe" makes absolutely zero sense.

Unless you are talking about UL basketball recruiting ...

Pet peeve.

Same with "in the short rows"... meaning near the end. Has no meaning whatsoever to folks that didn't grow up around gardens or farms!

Quote Originally Posted by oldnavy View Post
    Same with "in the short rows"... meaning near the end. Has no meaning whatsoever to folks that didn't grow up around gardens or farms!
    That has something to do with harvesting tobacco. I've driven by many, but thank God I've never been in a tobacco field, so I'm not exactly sure what. Maybe the last rows are the shortest, or something like that!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    That has something to do with harvesting tobacco. I've driven by many, but thank God I've never been in a tobacco field, so I'm not exactly sure what. Maybe the last rows are the shortest, or something like that!
    Correct. Due to shapes of most fields back in the day the shorter rows were on the sides of the field, so when you were almost finished with the field you were in the short rows. Heard and used that saying all my life.

And don't worry, I was in enough tobacco fields to cover you and me both...

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I hear you Newton_14 and if some smoker out there is waiting for me to get back into a tobacco field his/her next smoke is going to be a long time coming.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    Correct. Due to shapes of most fields back in the day the shorter rows were on the sides of the field, so when you were almost finished with the field you were in the short rows. Heard and used that saying all my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I hear you Newton_14 and if some smoker out there is waiting for me to get back into a tobacco field his/her next smoke is going to be a long time coming.
    My dad spent his summers working tobacco fields. He said it was by far the worst job he ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    My dad spent his summers working tobacco fields. He said it was by far the worst job he ever had.
    It does... hard, very dirty work.

Now, the best job I ever had was as a lifeguard at a country club one summer... if I could have made a living doing that there would be no "OldNavy", but alas, I usually owed most of my pay check to the snack bar.

I did get to "work" with Ben Bennett that summer which just made it that much more fun. Dude was fun to hang with, since we never had to buy our own pitchers of beer!

No good memories of summer "priming tobacco" however.

Didn't watch the whole game last night, so did Jeremy get on the field at all?

Now, the best job I ever had was as a lifeguard at a country club one summer...
    i could write a book about my exploits as a lifeguard at the hoity toity country club pool...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Didn't watch the whole game last night, so did Jeremy get on the field at all?
    #57 is in the concussion protocol. Precautionary, but a bummer at the same.

I haven't seen anything, so I don't know any circumstances, but how is someone both in concussion protocol and out as a precaution? I usually assume precautionary to mean that he could play, but it's not an important enough situation to warrant it, while concussion protocol is mandatory bench until you can pass.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    I haven't seen anything, so I don't know any circumstances, but how is someone both in concussion protocol and out as a precaution? I usually assume precautionary to mean that he could play, but it's not an important enough situation to warrant it, while concussion protocol is mandatory bench until you can pass.
    I understand limitations on posting from the phone, especially a keypad, but can we observe the "who, what, when, where, why and how" whenever practical? It's the "why and how" I'm missing (although I am guessing at the "who"). Also, worthy of a cite or site -- heard on the radio, in the papers, through a phone call, whatever.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013