View Poll Results: Which of these final 3 films is the Greatest Sports Movie EVER!

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bull Durham

22 30.99%
  • Field of Dreams

26 36.62%
  • Hoosiers

23 32.39%

Final Final Poll: Greatest Sports Movie

Ok, Hoosiers won the real thing pulling away a tiny bit at the end. But, seeing as so many folks wanted a face-off of the final 3...

--Jason

Coin toss between the two baseball films. Hoosiers was great, but there is that one huge elephant in the room. It has Hoosiers in it...granted it is about high school basketball, but Hoosiers?!?!

Tough choices

Originally I voted for Hoosiers. Then I had to admit that I LOVE to watch Bull Durham, over and over again. So...that's my vote for the final three. Sorry, Hoosiers -- I will watch Bull Durham in a heartbeat.

Make some sense out of this-- Hoosiers won the bigger poll but FOD is leading in this 3-movie poll by a decent (5-vote) margin.

--Jason

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Make some sense out of this-- Hoosiers won the bigger poll but FOD is leading in this 3-movie poll by a decent (5-vote) margin.

--Jason
    Well, maybe people who voted in the original poll stopped paying attention for more polls, since it was, you know, the FINAL poll?

Or, it could be that the 40-50% of people that didn't vote for one in the top 3 actually favored FOD.

I also hear it's possible to win the Presidential Election without "winning".

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    Or, it could be that the 40-50% of people that didn't vote for one in the top 3 actually favored FOD.
    Well, since it's a public poll, we'll be able to figure it all out once the voting is done. Based on a quick look at the vote breakdown, it looks like both Hoosiers and Field of Dreams have added 5-6 new votes.

My Vote

I picked The Natural in the first go around. Field of Dreams this time.

I liked Hoosiers, but just never thought it was that great. In fact, I would have Bull Durham, The Natural, Field of Dreams, and Rocky ahead of it.

For me, a truly great movie has to have at least one "WOW" moment in it. A moment that just sort of takes your breath away, or makes you choke up (yes, as a guy sometimes movies get to me), or has something that really blows you away. I never felt that in Hoosiers.

The Natural had several moments for me - the strikeout at the beginning, hitting the cover off the ball, when Glen Close stood up, and of course the end when the lights explode to the music (interesting note - the ending of the book is sliiiiiightly different). Field of Dreams had basically the last 15 minutes that blew you away, including the all time make a guy choke up of "Hey Dad...Wanna have a catch?"

FYI, the movie that had the most moments like that to me of all time was actually Glory. There's about 5 moments when the scenes just knocked you off your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Coin toss between the two baseball films. Hoosiers was great, but there is that one huge elephant in the room. It has Hoosiers in it...granted it is about high school basketball, but Hoosiers?!?!
    On the other hand, you're going to say that Kevin Costner starred in the greatest movie of all time?

Now, Bull Durham was originally written with Kurt Russell in mind (who actually played minor league ball) IF he had starred in the movie, it would be a no-brainer. Instead, I give my vote to the anti-KevinCostner choice (he's way too whiny).

Greatest sports movie of all time. That doesn't qualify it for for my top 10 movies at all.

I guess the '80s were a golden age for sports movies. The decade produced these three finalists, plus Chariots of Fire and The Natural. They are all, arguably, an interesting combination of the social realism that characterized movies of the early to mid-'70s and the mythologizing of sport that may have been a reaction to Reaganism -- sports being the only remaining realm in an era of privatization in which we were permitted to invest our collective hopes and dreams. (As well as being a celebration of individual competence that can be seen as consonant with Reaganism.)

Wow. You guys are deep.

Love all your reasons for your votes.

Hoosiers was good alright, but I never quite bought into the lack of athleticism in those actors pretending to play basketball. While Bull Durham was fun too, I suspect a lot of it's appeal for us was because it was about our own.

That leaves FOD. Fact is there just aren't enough warm fuzzies around this mean ol' violent world today and the movies aren't leaving us anywhere to run when we need to escape and be soothed.

I stuck with Field from the first vote and still do. Glad to see it coming through at the end.

Love, Ima
    PS I've been an even bigger fan of KC ever since he sat in the Duke section at an ACC tourney...bless his heart.

I'm amazed at how close this vote has been. It's hard for me to say Hoosiers is the winner, but I guess that's what will have to be declared.

Geez Jason, I bet you didn't expect this kind of controversy in your first poll tourney.

Okay, that's enough...

I'm smelling conspiracy now. 17-17-17? Who's sending private messages and arranging this? Poll tampering! I thought they took care of this stuff after Bush-Gore!

Quote Originally Posted by riverside6 View Post
    I'm amazed at how close this vote has been. It's hard for me to say Hoosiers is the winner, but I guess that's what will have to be declared.

Geez Jason, I bet you didn't expect this kind of controversy in your first poll tourney.
    Perhaps we've hit upon a good argument against the BCS "+1" model that has been bandied about in recent years.
    This very well might go down as one of the great DBR controversies in history. Do you suppose each of these films will hang a disputed banner, or "correct" the trophy each time it changes hands?
    These split championships prove that we should just settle it on the field.

This is just ridiculous... 21 - 21 - 18

So much for there being a definitive winner, eh? I think with so few voters (60 so far) we are just fated to have close matchups like this.

--Jason

Re-vote

21 - 21 - 18...Classify Citizen Kane as a sports movie (main character was a frustrated luger (lugist??)) and settle this thing once and for all.

So when does the final final poll close? And will there be a final final final poll?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    So when does the final final poll close? And will there be a final final final poll?
    Well, the final final only came about because so many folks were complaining that there were too many choices in the original final poll. I see no need for a final final final as it is not at all clear that 2 of these have separated themselves from the third.

I am tempted to declare this thing a tie. Hoosiers won when there were 12 films in the race. Now Field of Dreams is winning with 3 teams in the race. Bull Durham has been pretty darn close each time.

--Jason "I'll leave this open for a while longer... just to let folks who have not voted get their vote in" Evans