Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Maybe nothing. It's possible Australia surprises and finishes 3rd in Group A behind USA and France but ahead of Serbia. (I'd be really surprised if they finished any higher). However, the reason the Aussies are ranked lower than maybe their NBA talent would suggest is because of pedigree. At the last 2 FIBA World Championships, the Aussies finished 12th and 10th; Serbia, by contrast, won silver (losing to USA in 2014) and finished 4th. Australia has a FIBA ranking of #11 while Serbia is ranked #6; generally, the Serbs have just played better in international competition.

Also, keep in mind Teodosic is a Euroleague 1st-team player and former Euroleague MVP. He could be in the NBA if he wanted to be. Jokic was one of the NBA's best rookies last season. Bogdanovic will come over at some point. Raduljica and Nedovic had their cups of tea in the league.
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, in a head-to-head with Australia, Serbia might have the three best players in Jokic, Teodosic, and Bogdanovic. They almost certainly have three of the four best players.

Australia has more guys who have been willing to come over to the NBA. But very few of them are more than fringe players. Serbia has guys who could do that, but haven't. And a guy like Teodosic would be a pretty good NBA player if he ever decided to come over.
    Hmm, okay, that makes a bit more sense. I'll admit I'm not too knowledgeable about hoops in Europe, and Teodosic wasn't on my radar. Still, I dunno about 3 of the best 4 players.

Bogut is absolutely a top 3, if not the top overall guy between the 2 teams. He's obviously wasn't relied upon for offense with the Warriors, but he's a skilled two way player and can be a focal point of an offense with his phenomenal passing for a big man. With shooters like Mills and Ingles on the outside, that will give him a ton of space to do his thing.

I just looked this up: http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/3/123...e-spain-brazil

Look like we're about in agreement, they ranked Australia just ahead of Serbia.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Australia has more guys who have been willing to come over to the NBA. But very few of them are more than fringe players. Serbia has guys who could do that, but haven't. And a guy like Teodosic would be a pretty good NBA player if he ever decided to come over.
    Nicely put, CDu. Even though Delly is in the NBA and Teodosic isn't, Teodosic very likely is the better basketball player.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Bogut is absolutely a top 3, if not the top overall guy between the 2 teams. He's obviously wasn't relied upon for offense with the Warriors, but he's a skilled two way player and can be a focal point of an offense with his phenomenal passing for a big man. With shooters like Mills and Ingles on the outside, that will give him a ton of space to do his thing.
    The 26-year-old Bogut for sure, but not this 32-year-old Bogut, who's rusty, coming off rehab of the knee injury he suffered in the NBA Finals. I wouldn't be surprised if Bogut only plays a reserve role, backing up Aron Baynes. If I had to guess who Australia's best player will be, I'd guess Patty Mills. Maybe Baynes.

Nicely put, CDu. Even though Delly is in the NBA and Teodosic isn't, Teodosic very likely is the better basketball player.

The 26-year-old Bogut for sure, but not this 32-year-old Bogut, who's rusty, coming off rehab of the knee injury he suffered in the NBA Finals. I wouldn't be surprised if Bogut only plays a reserve role, backing up Aron Baynes. If I had to guess who Australia's best player will be, I'd guess Patty Mills. Maybe Baynes.
    Wasn't Patty Mills the tournament leading scorer in London? Or am I thinking of another international tournament?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Wasn't Patty Mills the tournament leading scorer in London? Or am I thinking of another international tournament?
    Good memory. Indeed he was at 21.2 ppg, topping Durant's 19.5 ppg.

Hmm, maybe the Aussies ARE underrated. They are currently blowing out France by 20 late in the 4th quarter. Beautiful ball movement, back cuts, and shooting sliced up France's vaunted defense. And the French couldn't get out of their own way on offense with all the sloppy turnovers.

Hmm, maybe the Aussies ARE underrated. They are currently blowing out France by 20 late in the 4th quarter. Beautiful ball movement, back cuts, and shooting sliced up France's vaunted defense. And the French couldn't get out of their own way on offense with all the sloppy turnovers.
    They definitely had it going today. Looks like France decided not to compete after 3 quarters and wait for the next game to regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    They definitely had it going today. Looks like France decided not to compete after 3 quarters and wait for the next game to regroup.
    If so, that's a mistake. You could easily envision a situation where Serbia beats Australia, and France beats Serbia, and point differential is then used to break the tie between the three teams and seed them. Definitely a disappointing effort from France.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Looks like France decided not to compete...
    Well, there is some precedence for this.....

Told you Bogut would dominate

When does the U.S. play. Anyone know which channel?

Right now. NBCSN. K has his game face on, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    The boys are sleepwalking through the first few minutes...

Wait, you used France and vaunted defense in the same sentence?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

True. Who starts 1 . . . . e7-e6?

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Told you Bogut would dominate
    Your boy was looking spry on those backdoor lobs! Good to see him healthy.

No kidding. I thought we were playing Spain, looking at Coach's game face. He was seriously concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

I know, right? Silly me. France surrendered backdoor Dunkirks way too easily!

Nice stat: 31 assists on 38 made field goals.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Nice stat: 31 assists on 38 made field goals.
    This was easily the best performance from USA so far, even though, because of opponent quality, it was essentially just another exhibition. Still, it was nice to see things clicking.

Paul George spent some time guarding the PG. That might come in handy against the Teodosics of the world.

Draymond Green spent most of his minutes at center in "switch everything" lineups. Again, something that might come in handy down the line.

This was easily the best performance from USA so far, even though, because of opponent quality, it was essentially just another exhibition. Still, it was nice to see things clicking.

Paul George spent some time guarding the PG. That might come in handy against the Teodosics of the world.

Draymond Green spent most of his minutes at center in "switch everything" lineups. Again, something that might come in handy down the line.
    Love the defensive pressure and the length of Team USA allows them to switch on almost all picks. The D comes in waves. Beautiful.

True. Who starts 1 . . . . e7-e6?
    Check.

And hopefully, the pigeon spent most of his minutes on the bench...