Potential ACC Network Documentaries

So with the announcement of the ACC network, there have been some questions about potential content. It has been assumed by most that a documentary series similar to SEC Storied will be a part of it. I'm sure that ESPN will come up with some catchy name for it, like ACChronicles or something. Given that it's the off-season, I figured it would be fun to propose ideas that you'd like to see produced one day.

First a bit of background. Most of the SEC Storied docs have fit into a one hour time slot, though some have been longer or shorter depending on the subject. This does mean that some subjects (like a general Duke/UNC doc) are probably too big of a subject for such a series. Second, I assume that ESPN will focus on current ACC schools only, but would produce documentaries on current ACC schools that weren't in the conference when the event being chronicled took place. Third, Given that the network is exclusively about the conference, and ESPN wouldn't want to sour the relationship, I presume that unlike the full 30 for 30, anything produced wouldn't focus on a subject that casts the conference or a member in an exclusively negative light (i.e. UNC Scandal). Last, I assume that they won't repeat any of previous subjects from previous 30 for 30 or other ESPN docs. As a quick recap, here are the ACC focused 30 for 30 docs:

• The U and The U Part 2 - Covers Miami Football all the way from the early 80's to near present
    • Unguarded - Follows the story of Chris Herren. While not exclusively an ACC subject, his recruitment to, and brief time at BC was a significant part of the story.
    • Survive and Advance - Chronicles NC State 1983 NCAA run.
    • I hate Christian Laettner - Covers Duke during the late 80's and early 90's through the lens of Laettner's career and the reactions he evoked.
    • Fantastic Lies - Story of the Duke Laccrosse case.

There are a couple others that have former ACC athletes/coaches as subjects, but doesn't feature their time in the ACC prominently enough that I'd consider it "ACC focused." For example, the ones about Michael Jordan's baseball career, Marion Jones, and Steve Spurrier.

With that, I submit a couple of ideas (complete with hastily thought up title suggestions!):

Duke Focused:

Butters saves the K - Focusing on Coach K's early year struggles and pressure on Tom Butters to fire him amid the backdrop of UNC and NC State winning back to back titles.

Founding a Program - Following the Duke Softball team as they start a new team from scratch in a world where most schools are cutting rather than adding teams. Unfortunately, the network won't start until after the team has already completed two seasons of play at which point the subject loses it's timeliness.

The Game Must Go On - The story of moving the 1942 Rose Bowl to Wallace Wade (then Duke) Stadium after Pearl Harbor. It would be a really cool subject, but tough to pull off given that I'd imagine that there aren't any people around anymore who were intimately involved with the planning and decision making involved. This would probably leave the show a very History Channel or Ken Burns kind of feel.

ACC Focused:

It's a Tournament Sport - The early days of the ACC tournament and debate over giving the tournament champion the conference sole NCAA bid.

Eat or be Eaten - Chronicling the expansion of the league from 9 to 12 to 15 teams. Hopefully there won't be any further membership changes for the conference by the time the network launches and if so, perhaps it will be in the rear view mirror enough by then that people will be willing to go on record about the behind the scenes horse trading that surely went on.

Other ACC Schools:

Don't ever give up - Following Jimmy V's cancer battle, the founding of the V foundation and his ESPY speech, and cultivation of his late in life relationships with former colleagues like Coach K and Dickie V.

Look forward to see everyone's ideas, and when ESPN produces a documentary on something mentioned here in 3 years, we can bring this thread back and claim that they stole our ideas!

There was also the 30 For 30 on the B.C. point shaving scandal with Henry Hill (I forget the name of that one).

UNC Athletics - No Class?

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    UNC Athletics - No Class?
    "The U[nc]"

With Swofford in charge, I could see a documentary about how UNC was unrightously persecuted by the NCAA. I could see the interview with Roy about how his life was made a living hell. Let us all feel sorry for the Great UNC Persecution!

Nice idea, Matt. Those are some good ones -- especially the one on the ACC Tournament's heyday.

I think clearly the 1974 N.C. St. - Maryland final would warrant it's own documentary.

Also, giving David Thompson a full blown doc would I think be appropriate.

I'd imagine they don't have much meaningful footage of Dean from the 60's/70's, but Ia piece on the development of the Four Corners, then the fear/hatred thereof by the rest of the league, culminating in its mastery by Phil Ford, would be good.

The Bubas years at Duke, including the Heyman fight, the strong mid 60's teams, the possibility of getting Bill Bradley and then the near miss on being the opponent for Texas Western in the 66 final would be compelling.

The Chris Paul and Julius Hodge nut punches is probably best kept as a short.

I'd like one on Corchiani/Monroe.

Charlie Scott.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMatt33 View Post
    So with the announcement of the ACC network, there have been some questions about potential content. It has been assumed by most that a documentary series similar to SEC Storied will be a part of it. I'm sure that ESPN will come up with some catchy name for it, like ACChronicles or something. Given that it's the off-season, I figured it would be fun to propose ideas that you'd like to see produced one day.

First a bit of background. Most of the SEC Storied docs have fit into a one hour time slot, though some have been longer or shorter depending on the subject. This does mean that some subjects (like a general Duke/UNC doc) are probably too big of a subject for such a series. Second, I assume that ESPN will focus on current ACC schools only, but would produce documentaries on current ACC schools that weren't in the conference when the event being chronicled took place. Third, Given that the network is exclusively about the conference, and ESPN wouldn't want to sour the relationship, I presume that unlike the full 30 for 30, anything produced wouldn't focus on a subject that casts the conference or a member in an exclusively negative light (i.e. UNC Scandal). Last, I assume that they won't repeat any of previous subjects from previous 30 for 30 or other ESPN docs. As a quick recap, here are the ACC focused 30 for 30 docs:

• The U and The U Part 2 - Covers Miami Football all the way from the early 80's to near present
    • Unguarded - Follows the story of Chris Herren. While not exclusively an ACC subject, his recruitment to, and brief time at BC was a significant part of the story.
    • Survive and Advance - Chronicles NC State 1983 NCAA run.
    • I hate Christian Laettner - Covers Duke during the late 80's and early 90's through the lens of Laettner's career and the reactions he evoked.
    • Fantastic Lies - Story of the Duke Laccrosse case.

There are a couple others that have former ACC athletes/coaches as subjects, but doesn't feature their time in the ACC prominently enough that I'd consider it "ACC focused." For example, the ones about Michael Jordan's baseball career, Marion Jones, and Steve Spurrier.

With that, I submit a couple of ideas (complete with hastily thought up title suggestions!):

Duke Focused:

Butters saves the K - Focusing on Coach K's early year struggles and pressure on Tom Butters to fire him amid the backdrop of UNC and NC State winning back to back titles.

Founding a Program - Following the Duke Softball team as they start a new team from scratch in a world where most schools are cutting rather than adding teams. Unfortunately, the network won't start until after the team has already completed two seasons of play at which point the subject loses it's timeliness.

The Game Must Go On - The story of moving the 1942 Rose Bowl to Wallace Wade (then Duke) Stadium after Pearl Harbor. It would be a really cool subject, but tough to pull off given that I'd imagine that there aren't any people around anymore who were intimately involved with the planning and decision making involved. This would probably leave the show a very History Channel or Ken Burns kind of feel.

ACC Focused:

It's a Tournament Sport - The early days of the ACC tournament and debate over giving the tournament champion the conference sole NCAA bid.

Eat or be Eaten - Chronicling the expansion of the league from 9 to 12 to 15 teams. Hopefully there won't be any further membership changes for the conference by the time the network launches and if so, perhaps it will be in the rear view mirror enough by then that people will be willing to go on record about the behind the scenes horse trading that surely went on.

Other ACC Schools:

Don't ever give up - Following Jimmy V's cancer battle, the founding of the V foundation and his ESPY speech, and cultivation of his late in life relationships with former colleagues like Coach K and Dickie V.

Look forward to see everyone's ideas, and when ESPN produces a documentary on something mentioned here in 3 years, we can bring this thread back and claim that they stole our ideas!
    And I thought the Fantastic Lies show would be about the unc student-athlete .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I'd like to see a compilation of all the moronic activities associated with Duke at Maryland. Then, when it's all said and done, the powers to be will say "glad to see you go, don't come back"