Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Not currently having an offensive line coach certainly doesn't help Duke close on OL prospects.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Not currently having an offensive line coach certainly doesn't help Duke close on OL prospects.
    Did I miss something? When did we lose our OL coach?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Did I miss something? When did we lose our OL coach?
    About a week ago. Marcus Johnson to Mississippi State.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/c...189055374.html

Coach Albert tweeting about a big land. Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Coach Albert tweeting about a big land. Any info?
    I'd expect Bob Green to be on this news...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Offensive tackle Peace Addo has verbally committed to Duke:

Peace Addo 😈 ✌🏿‏
    @_Peace_Addo
    9h9 hours ago
    More
    To all my Friends, Family and coaches... I’m finally fully committed #DukeGang 😈🔵🏈
    Bob Green

On Saturday night Baltimore area offensive tackle Peace Addo backed off his commitment to Maine and cast his lot with the Blue Devils.

The 6-foot-6, 297 pound tackle prospect had interest from Maryland and UCLA among others.

Quote Originally Posted by martydoesntfoul View Post
    On Saturday night Baltimore area offensive tackle Peace Addo backed off his commitment to Maine and cast his lot with the Blue Devils.

The 6-foot-6, 297 pound tackle prospect had interest from Maryland and UCLA among others.
    Peace plays for Springbrook HS of Silver Spring, MD, which is on the DC boundary. This means he's a Blue Devil in HS and in college.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Very interesting that he was originally going to Maine. Was he a late bloomer or something?

Probably not good news. Duke was trying to get in on four-star OL Jovaughan Gwynn, from Charlotte. This suggests he's no longer an option for Duke.

Probably not good news. Duke was trying to get in on four-star OL Jovaughan Gwynn, from Charlotte. This suggests he's no longer an option for Duke.
    Curious as to why you think this. Are we at our offer/scholarship limit? With the decommit of Taiyon Palmer I would have thought we would have at least one more. Don't know where I read it, but before the Peace commit, I was thinking we would take 2 more OL. Did the Austin Parker situation change things, i.e. are we looking at making an offer for a K/P?

You are much more in the know, so I will take your word on this.

It was my impression that Gwynn has been down to NC State and South Carolina for a while. We had a number of O-Line prospects in for a visit with a majority of our commits a few weekends back, making me believe that we were still looking to sign a few more O-Linemen, specifically tackles. Gwynn was absent from that weekend.
    One of those linemen committed to Appalachian State, although I am not sure we offered.
    4 star recruits seem to be allergic to Duke in this class, but we should sign a number of solid 3 star recruits. It is my understanding that Addo is rated a 3 star, so not all bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Very interesting that he was originally going to Maine. Was he a late bloomer or something?
    Maybe he has a shellfish allergy?

His offer sheet is bizarre - Howard, maine, Morgann State and UCLA.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Early Signing Day is Wednesday. I suspect the coaches would like to get a lock on the 2018 class now. It will be interesting to see if any stars hold out until the final signing day in February.

Quote Originally Posted by dm9e24 View Post
    It was my impression that Gwynn has been down to NC State and South Carolina for a while. We had a number of O-Line prospects in for a visit with a majority of our commits a few weekends back, making me believe that we were still looking to sign a few more O-Linemen, specifically tackles. Gwynn was absent from that weekend.
    One of those linemen committed to Appalachian State, although I am not sure we offered.
    4 star recruits seem to be allergic to Duke in this class, but we should sign a number of solid 3 star recruits. It is my understanding that Addo is rated a 3 star, so not all bad news.
    That's what I meant by trying to get in with Gwynn. Duke tried to make a late run. Apparently too little, too late.

Kicker is an interesting conundrum. Parker was both the punter and place-kicker. I can't imagine Duke could sign two ACC-level kickers this late in the game. Do they try to bring in a combo kicker? Or fill one of the spots? Or go with what they've got in house? Is Reed an option for next season?

Note that Holmquist should place kick against NIU and either he or Boehme will punt. Both use up their eligibility with that game. In other words, Duke is apparently not using this game as an audition for anyone likely to return next season.

Losing Parker this late in the recruiting cycle is a lot worse than losing Palmer, IMO. It's a big concern.

Is Reed an option for next season?
    Jim, is there any talk about where Reed is mentally? What he went through last year is tough to come back from. Is there any sense that they can rebuild his confidence and he can in the future kick at this level? Or is he just a lost cause? As for using the bowl game as an audition for next year, while it would be great, I think Cut has to play to win the game. He has the team rebounding from a six-game losing streak, they made it back to a bowl, and I think he needs to keep momentum building for next year and the end of the recruiting cycle. He doesn't want to look like he's not taking the bowl game as seriously as he should. Unfortunately, we don't have so many options. Last year's kicking game was a nightmare. Hopefully we can find some answers next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    Jim, is there any talk about where Reed is mentally? What he went through last year is tough to come back from. Is there any sense that they can rebuild his confidence and he can in the future kick at this level? Or is he just a lost cause? As for using the bowl game as an audition for next year, while it would be great, I think Cut has to play to win the game. He has the team rebounding from a six-game losing streak, they made it back to a bowl, and I think he needs to keep momentum building for next year and the end of the recruiting cycle. He doesn't want to look like he's not taking the bowl game as seriously as he should. Unfortunately, we don't have so many options. Last year's kicking game was a nightmare. Hopefully we can find some answers next year.
    Haven't heard anything about Reed since the season began. Until the Parker news broke, I was assuming that Reed was not in Duke's plans.

The topic of place-kicker should come up in tomorrow's signing-day-press-conference.

May all the Un-committed 4 and 5*'s sign on the dotted line that says DUKE. To Bob Green, I hope tomorrow is a very fruitful day. And Thanks for all your effort

Wide receiver Jake Bobo NLI is in the house:

Adam Rowe‏
    @AdamRoweTDD

#DukeGang18 NLI have already started rolling in as @jak3bobo is in the Dominican, one time zone ahead. Other 14 are expected throughout the morning: https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...riod-112458933 … via @247Sports
    Bob Green