Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Also, I would definitely not use the word "meek" to describe Tim Duncan.

LOL! No, but he is so far out of place in the modern NBA I wouldn't know how to describe him and would probably use meek as well. Upon further reflection the one word I would use to describe Dunan as a player is unassuming.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unassuming
    Simple Definition of unassuming
    : not having or showing a desire to be noticed, praised, etc

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    He beat us 4 times while I at Duke and 4 after I left. But I consider myself lucky to see him play in Cameron and always pulled for him in the pros.
    I assume you graduated in 1995? If so, it's actually worse than you remember. Duncan beat Duke five times while you were at Duke:
    • Twice during the 1993-94 regular season.
    • Twice during the 1994-95 regular season.
    • Once in the 1995 ACC Tournament (Randolph Childress hung 40 on us in this game, en route to breaking the ACC Tournament scoring record).

But Duncan only beat Duke three times after you left -- twice during the 1995-96 regular season, then once in the 1996-97 regular season. Duke finally broke the streak in Duncan's last game against Duke, in Lawrence Joel Coliseum on February 5, 1997.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

What an all-time great player. The list of his accomplishments is amazing and makes an argument that he could be the greatest to ever play. I won't make that argument, but he's a lot closer than I thought he was.

I must say, though, that I was usually rooting against him. He killed Duke while at Wake, his first title came against my favorite NBA team the Knicks, I was pulling against him almost every other finals including against the Nets, the Heat and the Cavs. I guess I was pretty neutral when they beat the Pistons. The only time I rooted for him hard was the 2004 Olympics where, in my opinion, he did a pretty poor job leading that team and ended it off by stating "FIBA sucks" in response to his perception of the officiating. So, he repeatedly broke my heart!

I'll always remember him missing that bunny with Shane defending when Miami came back from the dead to beat the Heat in 2013. It was the end of Game 7, and when he missed it, he covered his face with his jersey and let out an anguished scream. That's about as close as we ever got to see how much he cared, aside from his inspired play, and it endeared him to me. Although I was rooting for the Heat in 2014, I was happy to see that group win again especially because I think their finals performance was the finest team basketball I have ever witnessed.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    LOL! No, but he is so far out of place in the modern NBA I wouldn't know how to describe him and would probably use meek as well. Upon further reflection the one word I would use to describe Dunan as a player is unassuming.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/unassuming
    Simple Definition of unassuming
    : not having or showing a desire to be noticed, praised, etc
    More like an old-time baseball star: Gehrig, Musial, Mays or Aaron.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    He beat us 4 times while I at Duke and 4 after I left. But I consider myself lucky to see him play in Cameron and always pulled for him in the pros.
    Despite Tim beating us I still remember being pleased when he returned for his Senior season. He was so good for college basketball...

I appreciate Tim Duncan too.

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

Also, I would definitely not use the word "meek" to describe Tim Duncan.
    He may have been thinking of Erik, a college contemporary of Duncan.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The Duke losses to Tim were tough but I went to 2 beat downs of the heels by Tim in 96 and 97. Tim thanks for crushing the Heels in those meetings.

NCAA Violation :)

The article in today's WSJ about Duncan cracked me up (and sort of made we want to cry). During his junior year, Duncan contributed to some psychology work, and due to his input, he ended up being listed as a co-author of a book that was published involving the research.

Then the publisher decided to bring free copies of the book to Wake Forest for each of the listed authors, including Tim Duncan. Wake Forest had to jump through hoops with the NCAA trying to figure out if a free copy of the book Tim co-authored would be viewed as an impermissible benefit. Really??????????????????

Compared to the stunts that were going on at uncheat, I'm thinking a free copy of a book you assisted with as part of your course work shouldn't be too hard to justify.

Really, really, really different concepts of the student-athlete.