Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is he living there or "staying" there? Staying somewhere usually means temporarily, at least to me. But then again, it's Larry Brown, so maybe he doesn't actually "live" anywhere permanently.

Love him or hate him, Larry Brown is one of the best basketball minds of our time and one of the most well known (and well traveled) basketball coaches. Ever.

He turned a relative unknown SMU program into a Top-25 team.

For him to resign from SMU given his work there (probation or not) is interesting.

For him to want to continue coaching at his age (76) is odd.

For him to consider coaching at the high school level given his resume is crazy.

For him to consider coaching a high school with a total enrollment of 870 students across 4 grades in a remote township of about 20,000 with no basketball pedigree to speak of is, by my estimates, bizarre.

- Chillin
    If the story is true (and there seemed to be some doubt in the news story linked?), it IS DEFINITELY bizarre BUT maybe he is one of those people who would be bored in a "normal" retirement and would enjoy the opportunity to teach and coach young people (even if they're not at the Division 1 or pro level) for something to keep him busy. I doubt he needs the money.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Is he living there or "staying" there? Staying somewhere usually means temporarily, at least to me. But then again, it's Larry Brown, so maybe he doesn't actually "live" anywhere permanently.

Love him or hate him, Larry Brown is one of the best basketball minds of our time and one of the most well known (and well traveled) basketball coaches. Ever.

He turned a relative unknown SMU program into a Top-25 team.

For him to resign from SMU given his work there (probation or not) is interesting.

For him to want to continue coaching at his age (76) is odd.

For him to consider coaching at the high school level given his resume is crazy.

For him to consider coaching a high school with a total enrollment of 870 students across 4 grades in a remote township of about 20,000 with no basketball pedigree to speak of is, by my estimates, bizarre.

- Chillin
    As an aside, in some corners, particularly the African-American community in Atlanta, and possibly other parts of the south, where you "stay" is the place where you live. They're synonyms. I hear people say all the time things like "I stay in Old Fourth Ward," which means that that person actually lives in Old Fourth Ward.

I am having trouble following the thread back to find who first wrote "stay" or if it is from the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    As an aside, in some corners, particularly the African-American community in Atlanta, and possibly other parts of the south, where you "stay" is the place where you live. They're synonyms. I hear people say all the time things like "I stay in Old Fourth Ward," which means that that person actually lives in Old Fourth Ward.

I am having trouble following the thread back to find who first wrote "stay" or if it is from the article.
    Interesting, thank you for explaining.

"Stay" was a quote from Brown in the article.

- Chillin

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

African-Americans in other places (like Missouri) also use the phrase this way.

When I first posted on this thread, I (knowingly) suggested that Brown would be almost home. That is, at least he grew up on Long Island. He is from Long Beach, NY in Nassau County, just outside Brooklyn (Kings County, h/t Chillin). Assuming he still has a family home in Long Beach it is still a 90 mile (2 hour) drive to East Hampton. I doubt he'd be making that commute. OTOH, if he lives in the Hamptons, a commute would be no problem. I doubt, despite my snark, that he'll be renting. Of course, like Rick Majerus , Eloise and Warren Beatty, perhaps he likes hotel living.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    I doubt, despite my snark, that he'll be renting.
    Imagine the total realtor's fees Larry Brown has paid out in his lifetime.