View Poll Results: Do you beleive Roof is turning the program around?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

95 80.51%
  • No.

23 19.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Roof support - with poll

Meant to have a poll in the other thread.

We have a similar group that's pro/con Roof, so I'd like to hear from the masses. Vote and comment if desired.

FWIW, I have never been a huge Roof fan but I can't shake the feeling that we're heading in the right direction.

This season has demonstrated real progress; not as quickly, as conclusively, or as broadly as we'd like, but progress nevertheless. I doubt if Ted is the "Coach K" of Duke Football, but I do not doubt that his tenure will mark the BEGINNING of our return to respectability.

As posted in the other thread

I, part of the jury (not officially), am still out. I haven't seen all the evidence yet. I'm not going to jump to conclusions. My minimum requirement pre-season, my litmus test if you will, for keeping coach Coach Roof beyond this year was 3 wins with several close, competitive heart-breaking losses. Midway through the season we have one win and three close, competitive heart-breaking losses against decent teams. OK, maybe Miami isn't as decent as we thought given their disappointing loss to carolina yesterday.

Let's see how the next six games play out. Unless Bill Parcels wants to come out of the NFL's broadcast booth this month and take over, Roof will be here against the tar heels in November. And hopefully beat the heels for our (at least) third win of the season.
    Posted here just in case you miss my optimistic pearls of wisdom in the other thread!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Ted Roof

I for one support Ted Roof. I think he has the team's support also. I think his problem from the start has been the monies available to pay for top notch assistants. I like the way he has picked players with character. Now if the team could start learning how to win. Close won't count forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsfan View Post
    I for one support Ted Roof. I think he has the team's support also. I think his problem from the start has been the monies available to pay for top notch assistants. I like the way he has picked players with character. Now if the team could start learning how to win. Close won't count forever.
    do you mean like the guy who was charged with multiple violent offenses (i think at least 1 was a felony) and then giving a little slap on the wrist with a 1-game suspension. i'm not saying this is the case, because i have no idea, but i don't see how a casual fan could have any idea the character of the players.

Not so fast

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    do you mean like the guy who was charged with multiple violent offenses (i think at least 1 was a felony) and then giving a little slap on the wrist with a 1-game suspension. i'm not saying this is the case, because i have no idea, but i don't see how a casual fan could have any idea the character of the players.
    Talk about a jury still being out and rushing to judgement, we don't know any of the facts surrounding Mike Tauiliili's case. It sounded bad to begin with, but remember we're talking about the Durham police here.

9F 9F 9F

I voted no on the turning around, a look at the record of the team before he took over shows it is at about the same place now as it was then...

He has my support for now. But I'm reassessing after every game. I can live with the close losses for now. I'm seeing progress on the field, and I'm some seeing some real talent start to emerge. I think Ozzie has this team on some kind of accelerated course toward respectability, but my course is a little more patient. If we can just stay competitive this year, that's enough for me to say the Roof is going in the right direction. There's no question, though, that next year 1 win will not be enough for Roof. He has to sustain this momentum. Regardless of how we finish out this year, next year I need to see 3-4 wins. We've seen enough young talent this year to make that a reasonable goal for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Talk about a jury still being out and rushing to judgement, we don't know any of the facts surrounding Mike Tauiliili's case. It sounded bad to begin with, but remember we're talking about the Durham police here.
    agreed that it is the durham police but we do know that he was arrested for multiple violent crimes. what exactly went on, we do not know yet, but i don't see how someone could proclaim that he likes how roof gets "character" guys when 1 of his players was arrested for those crimes a couple of months ago. more importantly, i think that it is ridiculous for a casual fan to think that he has any idea about the character of most players on the team. knowing what i know from when i was at duke, there is so much bad stuff that goes on behind the scenes that the public never hears about. moreover, a casual fan likely has no idea who most of the players are anyway.

I voted no. A bit of progress, yes, but the facts are pretty clear that he is falling short of "turning the program around."

Folks who point out that starting anew with the limited choices we will have to pick from is also a perilous journey have a fair point. I see very little real hope either way.

Your ray of sunshine,
    mapei

Quote Originally Posted by mapei View Post
    I voted no. A bit of progress, yes, but the facts are pretty clear that he is falling short of "turning the program around."

Folks who point out that starting anew with the limited choices we will have to pick from is also a perilous journey have a fair point. I see very little real hope either way.

Your ray of sunshine,
    mapei
    Was this before or after your Sunday morning bike ride?
    Cheers,
    Lavabe

I have been a strong Roof detractor, so it's quite something for me to vote yes. I'm not sure the 'turn around' is quick enough for my liking, but as I watch (...unfortunately on computer), and read more articles, I have personally come to the following conclusions: Roof is a competitive recruiter; he seems to have the respect of his team & vice versa; he seems committed to upholding Duke's academic standards despite loud voices on the other side.; he has the team working their butts off. Now if they can only develop some real confidence. And more depth.

HOWEVER, Roof is desperately in need of coaching support via a really good Defensive Coordinator and an Offensive Coordinator as well. I don't know enough to know if this a financial issue, an issue of a head coach who thinks he can it all or what. Then again, Kickers,kickers,kickers.

Quote Originally Posted by dukemomLA View Post
    Roof is a competitive recruiter; he seems to have the respect of his team & vice versa; he seems committed to upholding Duke's academic standards despite loud voices on the other side.; he has the team working their butts off.
    Not to be argumentative and I will qualify this by saying I am undecided by how to measure success other than wins and am undecided where I stand regarding Coach Roof but:

1)Roof is a competitive recruiter

The following was from dukie8 on another thread:

here are their recent rankings on rivals.com:

2007: stanford 51 and duke 78
    2006: stanford 53 and duke 56
    2005: stanford 41 and duke 46
    2004: stanford 57 and duke 70
    Along with the disillusionment of some of his better recruits if the stories I hear/recall are correct...I am not sure if this represents improvement.

2) He seems to have the respect of the team

I don't know that we can objectively measure this, people generally don't say negative things until the person is gone and then they are not likely to be outwardly vocal about it. We aren't in the locker room or around campus hanging out with the players, so how can we really know what they think?

3) he seems committed to upholding Duke's academic standards despite loud voices on the other side

Not sure there has ever been a call to lower standards in public, perhaps on these boards?

4) he has the team working their butts off

Like #2 above, when does a coach not have them working their butts off?

I am still mulling all this in my mind, not that it matters one iota as to what will happen in actuality.

My only problem is that he is his own defensive coordinator. I rather have someone not splitting time who can focus just on the D.

I have total faith in him as the head coach.

Grobe had nothing but compliments for Duke after the game, saying his team is impressed with the Devils.

Though sincere, Roof isn't interested in PR victories. He and the Blue Devils, who host Virginia Tech next week, need the real kind -- and quick.

"Here we are ... where we've been ... not able to find a way to win," Roof said. [source]
    I think he is feeling the same way we are.
    "They made one more play than we did and I'm tired of saying that," Duke coach Ted Roof said.
    They are so close but don't seem to take that final step to the next level.
    Last edited by Bluedawg; 10-07-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added the N&O quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavabe View Post
    Was this before or after your Sunday morning bike ride?
    Before what turned out to be my afternoon bike ride, as well as before the Redskins' total domination (those three words are seldom seen together lately unless the Skins are the object, not the subject, of the sentence). So much sunnier now personally, thanks.

But certainly not because of Duke football!

In Roof I trust. Progress but slower than many prefer. Duke wasn't built in a day.

If things go sour, I know this coach at Huxley...

Quote Originally Posted by dukie8 View Post
    agreed that it is the durham police but we do know that he was arrested for multiple violent crimes. what exactly went on, we do not know yet, but i don't see how someone could proclaim that he likes how roof gets "character" guys when 1 of his players was arrested for those crimes a couple of months ago. more importantly, i think that it is ridiculous for a casual fan to think that he has any idea about the character of most players on the team. knowing what i know from when i was at duke, there is so much bad stuff that goes on behind the scenes that the public never hears about. moreover, a casual fan likely has no idea who most of the players are anyway.
    I don't know any of the players personally so I can't comment on their character, other than they are at Duke and have some pretty tough, University set (post Lax boondoggle) standards to live up to. As for the multiple violent crimes, I think you exaggerate. Tauiliili was in a traffic accident; he didn't run. He, if memory serves me correctly but I'm not going to look it up to verify, may have pushed the other person involved (legally that is battery, assault being threatening to do so). He allegedly did something with an air gun (pointed or waved it at someone?) and he had a knife either on his person or in the car. I am not pro gun nor pro knife, but I'm not going to hang the guy for having them in his vehicle for legitimate sporting purposes. And quite honestly, I want my middle linebacker to have a nasty side to him, even if he is normally the nicest guy in the world (think Nick Bouniconti, who was pretty damn good.)

I think Tauiliili is playing because folks who know more than I do think the charges are going to legitimately go away, but I am just guessing.

9F 9F 9F

You know, it is easy to look at the often acrimonious posts between the two sides of the Roof debate on this board and get the impression that there is some great rift dividing the Duke fandom in half.

This poll shows that is simply not the case. As I write this, 80% of people in this poll have voted that they support Coach Roof. That is a landslide of support.

So, don't be fooled by the back-and-forth, the vast, vast majority of the Duke community is united in its belief that Ted Roof is making progress.

--Jason "I really did not think this poll would be this positive-- it is quite refreshing" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    This poll shows that is simply not the case. As I write this, 80% of people in this poll have voted that they support Coach Roof. That is a landslide of support.

So, don't be fooled by the back-and-forth, the vast, vast majority of the Duke community is united in its belief that Ted Roof is making progress.

--Jason "I really did not think this poll would be this positive-- it is quite refreshing" Evans
    Perhaps the majority is always wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Perhaps the majority is always wrong?
    Just ask the president.