Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    I hear a lot of people talking about Durant to GSW.

Does the NBA have an antitrust mechanism? If so, I'd imagine we're pretty close to using it with that prospective team.

- Chillin
    Don't know how they can afford it after they offer Sir Barnes his max contract

Does the NBA have an antitrust mechanism? If so, I'd imagine we're pretty close to using it with that prospective team.

- Chillin
    How much does GSW need Durant? He needs a lot of shots and would not get it there. Is it not hard for a high volume, rhythm shooter to excel with a lot of shots?

If GSW could just keep their team intact at a reasonable price, that is a better outcome than adding Durant and upsetting the rhythm/flow/happiness of what they have.

Or am I high on coco puffs and you'd risk that to add a top 5 player?

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    How much does GSW need Durant? He needs a lot of shots and would not get it there. Is it not hard for a high volume, rhythm shooter to excel with a lot of shots?

If GSW could just keep their team intact at a reasonable price, that is a better outcome than adding Durant and upsetting the rhythm/flow/happiness of what they have.

I believe the finals showed exactly why the Warriors could use Durant. Shots weren't falling at the same rate, Steph was struggling, and they needed another option. Hard to turn down a top 5 player.
    Last edited by luburch; 06-22-2016 at 10:49 AM.

I think if Durant could co-exist with Westbrook and nearly win a conference finals, he could co-exist with Klay and Steph. But it does create the enviable issue of "who shoots?"

No offense, but I am going with "coco puffs" here. The Warriors were dying for another weapon to take pressure off of Curry and Thompson. Put Durant in there in place of Barnes and you have an overwhelming favorite, as Golden State would be able to have two superstars on the court at all times. It is a no brainer.

There are plenty of shots to go around, especially since Green, Iguodala, Bogut, and Livingston are all perfectly happy to not shoot and to facilitate shots for others.

Not saying it will happen, but the Warriors would be crazy to pass on Durant.

- Chillin
    There would be nothing illegal about Durant - a free agent - choosing to go to Golden State. Just like there was nothing illegal about James and Bosh choosing to go to Miami. Or when Malone and Payton joined O'Neal and Bryant in LA. Golden State has cap space, and Durant has the option to take a bit less money to play where he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    There would be nothing illegal about Durant - a free agent - choosing to go to Golden State. Just like there was nothing illegal about James and Bosh choosing to go to Miami. Or when Malone and Payton joined O'Neal and Bryant in LA. Golden State has cap space, and Durant has the option to take a bit less money to play where he wants.
    Agreed that there's nothing "illegal" about Durant choosing to go to Golden State. I'm just wondering out loud if the NBA (which these days seems incredibly image conscious in an effort to continually improve the brand - which perhaps was always the case and I'm just older now and realize the nature of the proverbial business beast) would insert themselves, either publically or privately, to put the axe on it happening. Similar to the Chris Paul trade years back.

The intent of my post was partially in jest (only partially) to emphasize my view that Durant on next year's GSW team (presumably subtracting Barnes and Ezeli) would make that team not only an overwhelming title favorite, but a favorite to break their own record of "best regular season team ever." Durant is so good, just so good, and putting him next to the repeat MVP, along with an arguable Top-10 to -20 player and Top-3 shooter in the league, and more importantly the excellent pieces/role players that that team has is just silly.

Why even watch the regular season at that point? And just the fact that I asked that question could make the NBA cringe at the idea of Durant to GSW. Parity is important.

- Chillin

Agreed that there's nothing "illegal" about Durant choosing to go to Golden State. I'm just wondering out loud if the NBA (which these days seems incredibly image conscious in an effort to continually improve the brand - which perhaps was always the case and I'm just older now and realize the nature of the proverbial business beast) would insert themselves, either publically or privately, to put the axe on it happening. Similar to the Chris Paul trade years back.

The intent of my post was partially in jest (only partially) to emphasize my view that Durant on next year's GSW team (presumably subtracting Barnes and Ezeli) would make that team not only an overwhelming title favorite, but a favorite to break their own record of "best regular season team ever." Durant is so good, just so good, and putting him next to the repeat MVP, along with an arguable Top-10 to -20 player and Top-3 shooter in the league, and more importantly the excellent pieces/role players that that team has is just silly.

Why even watch the regular season at that point? And just the fact that I asked that question could make the NBA cringe at the idea of Durant to GSW. Parity is important.

- Chillin
    There is a big difference though between the Durant situation and the Paul situation. Durant is s free agent and is free to do whatever he wants within the rules outlined in the CBA. Paul was being traded from a team that was owned by the league itself at the time. They were trying to avoid the appearance of collusion because they were the ones making the trade.

If anything, I would argue that league intervention in this case would be much more of a violation than league non-intervention. It would violate the player's rights as agreed upon in the CBA.

And I can't imagine the league cringing about Durant to the Warriors. That would make the potential Cleveland/Golden State final absolutely epic television. LeBron vs a superteam? Ratings galore.

- Chillin
    The NBA owned the New Orleans Hornets when they stopped the Paul trade from there.

There is a big difference though between the Durant situation and the Paul situation. Durant is s free agent and is free to do whatever he wants within the rules outlined in the CBA. Paul was being traded from a team that was owned by the league itself at the time. They were trying to avoid the appearance of collusion because they were the ones making the trade.

If anything, I would argue that league intervention in this case would be much more of a violation than league non-intervention. It would violate the player's rights as agreed upon in the CBA.

And I can't imagine the league cringing about Durant to the Warriors. That would make the potential Cleveland/Golden State final absolutely epic television. LeBron vs a superteam? Ratings galore.
    Fair points. Thanks for the background.

I don't know about the bolded though. Sure, the finals would be epic. But that's a few games over the course of a very long season. And they'd have to get there. If Lebron got knocked out, it has the potential to be a snooze-fest.

And how many other games would be snooze-fests? How many fourth quarters would the Warriors have their C-Team on the court? How many games would they potentially rest a star player in order to win the Finals that they lost the year prior by going all out for the regular season record? Take one of the best players on the planet off the (by far) 3rd best team in the regular season last year (compounded if Duncan retires), how does the west look then? GSW and who else? Is there any drama at all?

A lot of hypotheticals obviously, but I think it's not as clear-cut that Durant to GSW would be an NBA boon, all things considered.

- Chillin

I don't know about the bolded though. Sure, the finals would be epic. But that's a few games over the course of a very long season. And they'd have to get there. If Lebron got knocked out, it has the potential to be a snooze-fest.

And how many other games would be snooze-fests? How many fourth quarters would the Warriors have their C-Team on the court? How many games would they potentially rest a star player in order to win the Finals that they lost the year prior by going all out for the regular season record? Take one of the best players on the planet off the (by far) 3rd best team in the regular season last year (compounded if Duncan retires), how does the west look then? GSW and who else? Is there any drama at all?

A lot of hypotheticals obviously, but I think it's not as clear-cut that Durant to GSW would be an NBA boon, all things considered.

- Chillin
    It is certainly possible that it would not work out for the NBA. My point was just that it is quite conceivably a boon. They have little reason to get worked up against the idea of it happening.

This is of course most likely moot, as I would not expect Durant to choose Golden State.

If Durant goes to the Warriors and forms a super team, does he get lambasted like Lebron did when he went to a super team? Even without "The Decision" debacle, Lebron got knocked for needing to go to a "better team" to win.

- Chillin
    I don't see how the Warriors could be more dominant in the regular season than this year. As for the playoffs, anything can happen, once you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    If Durant goes to the Warriors and forms a super team, does he get lambasted like Lebron did when he went to a super team? Even without "The Decision" debacle, Lebron got knocked for needing to go to a "better team" to win.
    Yes, he would get lambasted for going to a superteam. Would he care? probably not. Just like LeBron ultimately didn't care after he won two titles. At the time, folks blasted LeBron for it. In hindsight, nobody is really talking about that now.

Yes, he would get lambasted for going to a superteam. Would he care? probably not. Just like LeBron ultimately didn't care after he won two titles. At the time, folks blasted LeBron for it. In hindsight, nobody is really talking about that now.
    See, I don't think he would.

A few reasons:

1) Durant generally has flown under the radar for negative comments for his play
    2) Lebron set the trend for "super teams" (even though, technically, Malone/Payton and Garnett/Pierce/Allen were before him)
    3) GSW still has some good will in media circles, especially after the way they handled their post series pressers. Despite all the boorish behavior during the Finals, they were able to show class and grace in defeat.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. People still generally consider "The Decision" and the "Not 1, not 2, not 3 . . ." stuff pretty bad. His critics will always talk about it, and it will always be a part of LeBron's legacy. His return to Cleveland is a great redemption story, and most people can get with that. However, LeBron was unquestionably a villain during his tenure in Miami. Durant would probably handle the transition with a bit more tact, but he and Golden State would still probably be viewed as the bad guys if it happened. Most people don't root for the favorite.

But, like you said, KD probably wouldn't be too concerned.
    Last edited by kAzE; 06-22-2016 at 01:05 PM.

If KD did sign with GSW, would he be able to start over HBarnes?

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. People still generally consider "The Decision" and the "Not 1, not 2, not 3 . . ." stuff pretty bad. His critics will always talk about it,and it will always be a part of LeBron's legacy. His return to Cleveland is a great redemption story, and most people can get with that. However, LeBron was unquestionably a villain during his tenure in Miami. Durant would probably handle the transition with a bit more tact, but he and Golden State would still probably be viewed as the bad guys if it happened. Most people don't root for the favorite.
    I agree with this comment. I'd add that it's not just a question of who's the favorite. The Warriors' team, by and large, feels organic. All of its major players hit stardom while on the current team. To import a premier star and face of a different franchise (for his entire career) would change the whole feel. A lot of people would hate that aspect as well.

The organic nature of it is so important to some folks. They feel that it's a form of sports in the purest sense of how it should work - the opposite of the Yankees and Man U's of the world. Start "buying" studs and you lose that appeal.

- Chillin

ETA: Not coincidentally, it's the same reason that any dislike for studs like Curry and Durant generally flies "under the radar" [Ferry's comment] while LeBron's Decision is front and center hated. Curry and Durant are organic. LeBron sold himself.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. People still generally consider "The Decision" and the "Not 1, not 2, not 3 . . ." stuff pretty bad. His critics will always talk about it, and it will always be a part of LeBron's legacy. His return to Cleveland is a great redemption story, and most people can get with that. However, LeBron was unquestionably a villain during his tenure in Miami. Durant would probably handle the transition with a bit more tact, but he and Golden State would still probably be viewed as the bad guys if it happened. Most people don't root for the favorite.

But, like you said, KD probably wouldn't be too concerned.
    No no, I was talking about the "LeBron can't win without a superteam" side of the discussion. In the post I was responding to, the poster specifically said "even without "The Decision" debacle, Lebron got knocked for needing to go to a 'better team' to win." The shade that gets thrown LeBron's way these days relates entirely to the sideshow that accompanied the move, and has nothing to do with "he can't win it without a superteam." That angle pretty much ceased to exist years ago.

Initially, LeBron got slammed from all angles (joining a superteam, doing it in unsavory fashion). But that relatively quickly subsided to "well he went about it in a really unprofessional manner."

Durant would get bashed some initially for joining a superteam. But that would quickly go away. And as long as they didn't have a clown show like The Decision and subsequent parties, he'll be fine. He won't be cheered for, but it won't be as bad as what LeBron got.

I saw a report that the Pistons are courting Al Horford, probably the second best free agent.

However, is he a good match with Andre Drummond? Greg Monroe was a bad match. Al is a much better defender than Moose (hell, I'm probably a better defender than Moose), but Al plays center for the Hawks doesn't he?

I do trust SVG when it comes to evaluating veteran players. If he wants Al, I bet it will work.