Another Photo Op for calipari

Love the lead for this story:

"One of John Calipari's players at Kentucky found himself in handcuffs over the weekend"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ation-charges/

Will John be there with him in the Green Room? - or whatever the color of the holding cell.

Will John be there for the perp walk to get that ever so important photo in the media?

The dude was so hammered that he failed trying to drive while drunk, he couldn't get into the car and passed out in the road.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Love the lead for this story:

"One of John Calipari's players at Kentucky found himself in handcuffs over the weekend"

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...ation-charges/

Will John be there with him in the Green Room? - or whatever the color of the holding cell.

Will John be there for the perp walk to get that ever so important photo in the media?

The dude was so hammered that he failed trying to drive while drunk, he couldn't get into the car and passed out in the road.
    I believe it has been a while, but we have had a few DWI's during the Coach K era (Hurley, Redick), so I would refrain from commenting - those who live in glass houses...

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ... so I would refrain from commenting - those who live in glass houses...
    Feel free to refrain.

But isn't commenting that you would refrain from commenting actually commenting?

And I'm pretty sure that no Duke player has been so drunk that in trying to drive while so drunk that he passed out in the road while trying to get into the car. But I might just be splitting hairs.

He is lucky the charges (and potential consequences) are not a whole lot more serious.

Other than that -- meh. College kid does something stupid and drinks too much. Not model behavior, not the first kid either.

And not something from which Duke has immunity.

And I'm pretty sure that no Duke player has been so drunk that in trying to drive while so drunk that he passed out in the road while trying to get into the car. But I might just be splitting hairs.
    I guess it depends if we are only considering their behavior while at Duke, this one is less than one year old...
    http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/30/chris-...ngine-running/

I find it really hard to draw a morality connection between college kids drinking and recreational drug use and their college coaches. While I agree that some schools turn a completely blind eye, I think that most of the kids Cal has mentored seem like decent guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I guess it depends if we are only considering their behavior while at Duke, this one is less than one year old...
    http://www.tmz.com/2015/11/30/chris-...ngine-running/

I find it really hard to draw a morality connection between college kids drinking and recreational drug use and their college coaches. While I agree that some schools turn a completely blind eye, I think that most of the kids Cal has mentored seem like decent guys.
    There was also the Reggie Love incident which did not involve a car but did involve him being seriously incapacitated due to heavy drinking - 10 years earlier it would have been an urban legend - now in the internet era it will unfortunately live forever online, though it doesn't seem to have held Reggie back.

Drunk driving is a very serious offense with the potential to do a lot of damage. I'm glad to see that basketball players at both schools, and many others, are not immune from punishment for this.

Feel free to refrain.

But isn't commenting that you would refrain from commenting actually commenting?

No, he means he would let sleeping dogs lie, as would I.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    He is lucky the charges (and potential consequences) are not a whole lot more serious.

Other than that -- meh. College kid does something stupid and drinks too much. Not model behavior, not the first kid either.

And not something from which Duke has immunity.
    I align with this statement. Happens to all of us in college.

This actually makes UK look more like a college than NBA Prep U. Ironically.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Feel free to refrain.

Oooh, that is super meta.

Hence, the old "you gotta let me drive home, I'm too drunk to walk". Oh the old college days !!

Another one by Calipari

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...happens-campus

Sure he might be trying to garner attention by saying this, but I applaud him for saying it anyway (in this case).

Quote Originally Posted by Li_Duke View Post
    http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...happens-campus

Sure he might be trying to garner attention by saying this, but I applaud him for saying it anyway (in this case).
    I caught the funny joke at the end of that article.
    Calipari said he's not worried about his comments creating controversy because he's no longer concerned about the way he's perceived.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”