Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Nice to have a current player on as a guest - the first two episodes with Jah and Seth were fun, but I'm looking forward to hearing more about the current team. Also, I hope the producers change their inexplicable decision to perform the interviews over FaceTime. It's a podcast, we can't see them, and the audio quality was kinda poor.

Has anyone else noticed how much Scheyer sounds like K in terms of his tone and choice of words?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post

Has anyone else noticed how much Scheyer sounds like K in terms of his tone and choice of words?
    Hmm, I was thinking Collins, but I'm sure there is some common ground between the 3. =)

Amile

Finally listened to episode 3 with Amile. He gave surprising insight into why his recovery took so long. He said the cast was too tight. Not having ever had a cast before, he didn't know it shouldn't feel that way. When they removed the cast he said he didn't have feeling in his foot.

Besides that, he seems like such a great guy. He talked a lot about how he learned things from sitting on the bench and watching. Hoping for beast mode to be unleashed this year! Go Amile!

Three podcasts absolutely riveting. Highly recommended for all Duke fans!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Jeff Capel

Capel's all time starting five based on their Duke years -

Dawkins, Hurley, Hill, Battier, Laettner. 6th man is Redick.

Cool podcast because they talked about recruiting wars.

Another great podcast with Justice this week. Brilliant!
    Justice is so funny. Loved his insight to Duke. He thoughts on K. The weekly/daily meeting with him. His roommate Grayson on how they didn't get on at the start and what good friends they are today. Plus the confession about how self centered he was at the start of his Duke journey to the change to being a team centered person. Then there is the funny banter back and fourth between him and Jon. So funny. Outstanding entertainment!
    Last edited by Furniture; 07-21-2016 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Burro
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

So on the most recent episode, Justise and Jon drafted their own all-Duke teams, (draft order in parentheses):

Team Jon:

Grant Hill (1), Christian Laettner(3), Shane Battier(5), Jahlil Okafor(7), Bobby Hurley(9)

Team Justise:

Justise Winslow(2), Kyrie Irving(4), Elton Brand(6), JJ Redick(8), Rodney Hood(10)

Who picked the better team?

Jon's team is huge, with 2 outstanding defenders in Shane and Grant. Justise has arguably the 2 best scorers to ever play for Duke: Kyrie and JJ, but the team is somewhat undersized with himself at the 4. Justise's team will probably try to go up and down the floor with their speed and shooting.

Picking between the 2 teams is actually harder than I thought it would be. I started leaning more towards Team Justise, but I think in the end, I have to go with Team Jon. I think Grant and Shane are just so good defensively on the perimeter, that it doesn't matter that the other team has JJ, Kyrie, and Rodney. The size and length will be enough to contain them, and Laettner and a Jah are just such efficient scorers. Elton is a beast, but he'd have a hard time containing those 2, especially with Hurley slinging the ball around. With basically two 7-footers and two 6'8" guys on the wings, Team Jon would dominate the boards, which I think would be the difference. I LOVE Justise, but at 6'6", he's not stopping Laettner.

But of course, JJ and Kyrie could always go HAM and score a million points.
    Last edited by kAzE; 07-22-2016 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    So on the most recent episode, Justise and Jon drafted their own all-Duke teams, (draft order in parentheses):

Team Jon:

Grant Hill (1), Christian Laettner(3), Shane Battier(5), Jahlil Okafor(7), Bobby Hurley(9)

Team Justise:

Justise Winslow(2), Kyrie Irving(4), Elton Brand(6), JJ Redick(8), Rodney Hood(10)

Jon's team is huge, with 2 outstanding defenders in Shane and Grant. Justise has arguably the 2 best scorers to ever play for Duke: Kyrie and JJ, but the team is somewhat undersized with himself at the 4. Justise's team will probably try to go up and down the floor with their speed and shooting.

Picking between the 2 teams is actually harder than I thought it would be. I started leaning more towards Team Justise, but I think in the end, I have to go with Team Jon. I think Grant and Shane are just so good defensively on the perimeter, that it doesn't matter that the other team has JJ, Kyrie, and Rodney. The size and length will be enough to contain them, and Laettner and a Jah are just such efficient scorers. Elton is a beast, but he'd have a hard time containing those 2, especially with Hurley slinging the ball around. With basically two 7-footers and two 6'8" guys on the wings, Team Jon would dominate the boards, which I think would be the difference. I LOVE Justise, but at 6'6", he's not stopping Laettner.

But of course, JJ and Kyrie could always go HAM and score a million points.
    Christian playing the 4?

I am not as optimistic as you that Team Jon can defend Team Justise. Kyrie is going to break down any D, even if it features 2 of the best 4 defenders to play for K. Particularly since Grant will probably spend most of his time chasing JJ around screens. With Battier helping, Hood will end up guarded by Hurley, who he can shoot over, or one of the bigs, who he can drive by.

But on the other end, how does Team Justise keep team Jon from scoring every possession? Big Jah is so strong, quick and fundamental, I don't think that Elton could contain him. And neither Hood nor Winslow are going to shut down Hill and Laettner.

So, Team Jon: 102-96.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Christian playing the 4?

I am not as optimistic as you that Team Jon can defend Team Justise. Kyrie is going to break down any D, even if it features 2 of the best 4 defenders to play for K. Particularly since Grant will probably spend most of his time chasing JJ around screens. With Battier helping, Hood will end up guarded by Hurley, who he can shoot over, or one of the bigs, who he can drive by.

But on the other end, how does Team Justise keep team Jon from scoring every possession? Big Jah is so strong, quick and fundamental, I don't think that Elton could contain him. And neither Hood nor Winslow are going to shut down Hill and Laettner.

So, Team Jon: 102-96.
    Yeah absolutely, Christian at the 4. This is essentially 2 NBA teams. Laettner was ahead of his time, as he would have thrived in today's NBA as a stretch 4. Especially before/without the Achilles injury, I believe he would have been one of THE marquee names as the prototypical guy you would want next to a DeAndre/Drummond type of guy in the middle. He's a rich man's Ryan Anderson and a poor man's Dirk.

Winslow

I enjoyed this podcast. I don't think I had previously heard a Justice interview. I was surprised that he was so funny and sarcastic.
    Keep up the good work, Mr. Scheyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Another great podcast with Justice this week. Brilliant!
    Justice is so funny. Loved his insight to Duke. He thoughts on K.... the confession about how self centered he was at the start of his Duke journey to the change to being a team centered person
    This was extremely interesting and just shows that unless you have a real inside contact with the program, you have no idea what is happening. Justise, by his own admission, didn't care about anyone other than himself when he got to Duke, and even before. On his official visit, Jah and Tyus were thick as thieves so Justise kept heading off with people he knew from Texas, leaving Scheyer and Capel in a panic about whether or not he was really interested. Forced to live with Grayson, he basically ignored him because he just didn't care about him. For a guy who projects so much, I don't know, "goodness", it is a reminder that these kids can be complete egomaniacs (as every one of my pre-teen children are - perhaps real adulthood is finally understanding that you are not the only person in the universe) but K laid the smack down and told him to knock it off. Really interesting...and, as the others have said, funny too. The kid has wry charm.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post

Team Jon:

Team Justise:

Telling that with three big men on the roster already and in need of guard play, Scheyer picks Okafor over Redick, Hurley, Williams, and Smith [and Scheyer].

Summer Workouts

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Summer Workouts

I'm not a fan of the sports bro. Cool video, though.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I'm not a fan of the sports bro. Cool video, though.
    What is that, some kind of weighted vest? What does it do, build up the shooting muscles? Harry and Jayson look ridiculous, but if they help...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    What is that, some kind of weighted vest? What does it do, build up the shooting muscles? Harry and Jayson look ridiculous, but if they help...
    They look better than I would in it. So they got that going for them.

From what I've read, the sports bra looking things are heart rate monitors.

The Bilas episode was pretty standard, not a lot of new material/stories, but Bilas is always good.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Summer Workouts

Wow, the guys are hot! I can't even count how many shots in a row they hit in that video. I didn't see them miss once. Pretty impressive.

-Jason " " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dukester View Post
    From what I've read, the sports bra looking things are heart rate monitors.
    We need to get some better looking heart rate monitors . . .