Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Here's a nice article in today's NY Post about her. (Sorry for digressing back to the subject of the thread. )

http://nypost.com/2016/07/26/muslim-...s-speaking-up/
    Here's another excellent article on her. Proud to have her as a rep of our school and, more importantly, our country!

http://espn.go.com/olympics/fencing/...ican-community
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by diablesseblu View Post
    Look two posts up (No. 40). Beat you to it...

Aha. I see this started as a new thread. You get a pass here.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Actually, the IOC just issued a "strong statement of support" for the IAAF ban. The statement appears to slam the door on speculation that there will be a compromise to allow "clean" Russian athletes to compete.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/natio...383517921.html

Please note, the ban only covers track and field athletes ... Russian will still compete in other sports.
    In a very fluid situation, it seems the IOC declined to ban the Russians, but essentially copped out and put it back on the individual sport governing bodies. So far that amounts to 105 out of 387 athletes being banned.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    In a very fluid situation, it seems the IOC declined to ban the Russians, but essentially copped out and put it back on the individual sport governing bodies. So far that amounts to 105 out of 387 athletes being banned.
    Just to clarify, the IOC DID and DOES support the IAAF ban of the Russian Track and Field team. They merely refused to extend it to any other sports. As you note, that merely means 105 of 387 Russian athletes are banned -- largely in track and field.

... Obviously my screen name suggests how much I like and care about the Olympics -- or at least have cared. ....
    Not necessarily obvious, as some people use the word "olympic" as a synonym for "extreme" or "huge" or the like. Thus, "olympic fan" could potentially mean, at least in a slang sense, an incredible fan. Since you are on a Duke board, it is conceivable that your name may have been meant to indicate that you were a huge Duke fan, rather than that you were a fan of the Olympics.

Jus' sayin.'
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Not necessarily obvious, as some people use the word "olympic" as a synonym for "extreme" or "huge" or the like. Thus, "olympic fan" could potentially mean, at least in a slang sense, an incredible fan. Since you are on a Duke board, it is conceivable that your name may have been meant to indicate that you were a huge Duke fan, rather than that you were a fan of the Olympics.

Jus' sayin.'
    Well, if anybody's unclear, my screen name DOES reflect my long-time admiration for the event -- based, I think of my memories of the 1960 Rome Games, which helped start my love affair with sports. Has there ever been a more heroic athletic figure than Abebe Bikila, running barefoot over the cobblestones of Rome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1_umU-Bizs

Well, maybe Wilma Rudolph, a real-life Forrest Gump, who overcame a childhood bout with polio to dominate the Rome Olympics.

I've since enjoyed reading and studying the history of the games. One of my greatest moments was when I got to meet Jesse Owens. It's possible that my greatest thrill in sports -- certainly my greatest outside Duke basketball -- was watching the finish of the 1964 Men's 10,000 meter race in Tokyo. Does anybody else recall the on-air announcer losing it (Look at Mills! Look at Mills! Oh my God, Mills is coming on!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj0zjPzg-c

Although I must admit that my admiration is more in the past than the present. I'm aware of the event's sordid history -- I think Avery Brundage is one of the most despicable public figures of my lifetime -- but it used to be easier to celebrate the event and to ignore the ugly backstory. Sochi went a long way towards tipping the balance ... I think Rio may be the killer when it comes to my love affair with the Games.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    A nice Q&A in today's Raleigh N&O with Ibtihaj Muhammad.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/s...e91947287.html

It includes this back and forth with columnist Scott Fowler:

Q: Do you retain your Duke loyalty?

A: Yes, I do. Did you go to Carolina by any chance?

Q: Yes, I did.

A: Well, we all make mistakes.

(Not that I needed another reason to root for Ibhaj!)

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Although I must admit that my admiration is more in the past than the present. I'm aware of the event's sordid history -- I think Avery Brundage is one of the most despicable public figures of my lifetime -- but it used to be easier to celebrate the event and to ignore the ugly backstory. Sochi went a long way towards tipping the balance ... I think Rio may be the killer when it comes to my love affair with the Games.
    Any HBO subscriber should watch this months Real Sports episode entirely devoted to the IOC and the Olympic movement. Yes it's a cesspool even worse than the waters surrounding Rio which are a real cesspool.

Olympic Fan, thanks for the links. This is one of my favorite moments in Olympic history (I think a lot of you will remember it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Olympic Fan, thanks for the links. This is one of my favorite moments in Olympic history (I think a lot of you will remember it):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LHid-nC45k
    44 years later and it still gives me goose bumps. I love the Olympics!

Well, if anybody's unclear, my screen name DOES reflect my long-time admiration for the event -- based, I think of my memories of the 1960 Rome Games, which helped start my love affair with sports. Has there ever been a more heroic athletic figure than Abebe Bikila, running barefoot over the cobblestones of Rome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1_umU-Bizs

Well, maybe Wilma Rudolph, a real-life Forrest Gump, who overcame a childhood bout with polio to dominate the Rome Olympics.

I've since enjoyed reading and studying the history of the games. One of my greatest moments was when I got to meet Jesse Owens. It's possible that my greatest thrill in sports -- certainly my greatest outside Duke basketball -- was watching the finish of the 1964 Men's 10,000 meter race in Tokyo. Does anybody else recall the on-air announcer losing it (Look at Mills! Look at Mills! Oh my God, Mills is coming on!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj0zjPzg-c

I remember watching the movie, "Running Brave", about Billy Mills in the 1980's. Great movie with Robbie Bensen. I never saw footage of the actual race until now. Great link and an unbelievable call of the finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    I remember watching the movie, "Running Brave", about Billy Mills in the 1980's. Great movie with Robbie Bensen. I never saw footage of the actual race until now. Great link and an unbelievable call of the finish.
    Little known fact - the color commentator who gives the memorable "Look at Mills! Look at Mills!" call as Billy surges into the lead in the final seconds was a guy named Dick Bank. The play-by-play guy, Bud Palmer, is relatively sedate and does not seem to grasp the enormity of what is happening (it has been called the greatest upset in track history, no one from the Western Hemisphere had ever won the 10k, Mills ran something like a full minute faster than his personal best). Anyway, seeing a freaking miracle happening before his very eyes causes Dick Bank to exclaim, "Look at Mills!" So, what was Bank's reward for his memorable call?

Banks' call only added to the drama of the race.

But NBC's Dick Auerbach disagreed.

A day after the race, Bank was called to Auerbach's Toyko hotel and fired.

"Bud Palmer was a good friend and had a lot to do with me getting the assignment in Tokyo," said Bank, now 83 years old and living in Brentwood. "I wasn't trying to upstage Bud, I was trying to call his attention to Mills.

"But Auerbach said I was very unprofessional, and they were turning off my microphone."

"Auerbach never said why he fired me. And NBC refused to pay me for the Olympics.

"I had to threaten legal action to get paid.
    -Jason "simply incredible" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Little known fact - the color commentator who gives the memorable "Look at Mills! Look at Mills!" call as Billy surges into the lead in the final seconds was a guy named Dick Bank. The play-by-play guy, Bud Palmer, is relatively sedate and does not seem to grasp the enormity of what is happening (it has been called the greatest upset in track history, no one from the Western Hemisphere had ever won the 10k, Mills ran something like a full minute faster than his personal best). Anyway, seeing a freaking miracle happening before his very eyes causes Dick Bank to exclaim, "Look at Mills!" So, what was Bank's reward for his memorable call?

-Jason "simply incredible" Evans
    Wow ... fascinating stuff. Listening to Banks' emotional reaction to Mills' closing sprint, it's hard to believe it got him fired. It's so much more dramatic than all the famous canned responses to earthshaking events ... like Al Michaels' celebrated "Do you believe in miracles?" call from the 1980 Olympics.

It reminds me of a famous radio recording - Herbert Morrison's famous reaction to the explosion of the airship Hindenberg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ad9tholMEM

He's also overcome by his emotions at the moment -- who can forget his "Oh, the humanity" line?

Dick Banks deserved better -- it's one of the great moments in sports broadcasting -- right up there with Russ Hodges' famous (and unprofessional) call of the Bobby Thompson home run: "The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! Oh my god, the Giants win the pennant!"

Not the kind of headline you want just four days out.

Just days ahead of the Olympic Games the waterways of Rio de Janeiro are as filthy as ever, contaminated with raw human sewage teeming with dangerous viruses and bacteria, according to a 16-month-long study commissioned by The Associated Press.

Not only are some 1,400 athletes at risk of getting violently ill in water competitions, but the AP's tests indicate that tourists also face potentially serious health risks on the golden beaches of Ipanema and Copacabana.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Quote Originally Posted by Tom B. View Post
    Not the kind of headline you want just four days out.
    You have to hope the organizers can pull it all together and make the games a success BUT it sounds as if there is a strong possibility that the games become at least a semi-disaster! UGH.

On another front the USWNT will play their first game tonight at 6:00EST against New Zealand. I'm really looking forward to watching them play in this tournament.

Seems like Australia's concerns were well founded.

The Australian team's Olympic village base has been robbed overnight, while four members of the women's water polo team have been struck down with a gastro-intestinal illness.

In the break-in overnight, long-sleeved Zika-protective team shirts and a laptop from the cycling team were stolen from the Australian buildings after the team was evacuated due to a small fire in the basement.

"When I arrived midway through evacuation, I saw three fire marshals walking out with our team shirts," Australian team Chef de Mission, Kitty Chiller, told media in Rio. "I should take back fire marshals—I don't know who they were. They were not team members."
    Apparently, some of the athletes slept through the whole thing because some fire alarms were deactivated during maintenance work (and no one told them about it). Which could be a lot worse than some stolen mosquito shirts.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/highli...m-bad-to-worse
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    On another front the USWNT will play their first game tonight at 6:00EST against New Zealand. I'm really looking forward to watching them play in this tournament.
    Played well. Solid win, with a minimal crowd. I assume that is because of being before the Opening Ceremonies?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Played well. Solid win, with a minimal crowd. I assume that is because of being before the Opening Ceremonies?
    And the game was being played a couple hundred miles from Rio.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke