Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    It's Duke vs. the PAC 12, as Washington beat Virginia 3-1-1 and UCLA whomped Oregon 4-0-1 in the other quarterfinals.
    "I swear Roy must redeem extra timeouts at McDonald's the day after the game for free hamburgers." --Posted on InsideCarolina, 2/18/2015

Down 3-1-1 3-5. Need to mount a replay of this morning's comeback.

Down in 3, AS in 2.

Need to grind.

We sure are getting less air time than UCLA/Udub

Looking grim.

Nobody sharp, not even VEC.

3 AS. We have to have all three!

Let's Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by grossbus View Post
    3 AS. We have to have all three!

Let's Go Duke!
    or at least two, to get to what extra holes I presume? Nail biter. LGD!!

We be done.

As I noted, nobody was sharp. Leona made a valiant effort. Vertigo is no joke.

Congrats again to VEC on her individual championship and kudos to the team for getting this far.

Proud of the team

We be done.

Congrats again to VEC on her individual championship and kudos to the team for getting this far.
    These are great ladies and excellent representatives for Duke. Tough loss but when your senior is way off her game and your star has vertigo, getting this far is an accomplishment.

SoCal

Nice job ladies. A young team that will be back.

Thanks to all for posting the updates here. I just read 3 pages of the thread and it was exciting! Would love to know how we mounted comebacks in the quarters--seemed like we were toast and then came back strong on the back 9 in several matches.

Congrats to the Duke Women for another final four berth and an individual championship for VEC

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Just to clarify for everyone: That's 7:00 Pacific Time.
    bout time we started reporting things in the correct time zone

While a bit disappointing, that was fun to watch. Reminds me that there has to be a market for more frequent coverage of non revenue sports pitched to alumni groups. The Longhorn network is helped along by its gazillion alums and a whole region that tends to adopt UT as a default favorite, but how expensive would it be to cover things wit a semi pro cameraman, etc??

Covering golf requires a lot of cameras

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    While a bit disappointing, that was fun to watch. Reminds me that there has to be a market for more frequent coverage of non revenue sports pitched to alumni groups. The Longhorn network is helped along by its gazillion alums and a whole region that tends to adopt UT as a default favorite, but how expensive would it be to cover things wit a semi pro cameraman, etc??
    Covering golf requires a lot of cameras
    I found the coverage to be good but stress-inducing. When the Golf Channel switched over to a Duke player, I knew she was either gonna make a great shot or miss one badly. The exception was the coverage of every shot during Virginia Elena's march to a huge victory.

OMG, the coverage of Oklahoma State's Linnea Johansson final hole was hide-behind-the-couch scary. Linnea needed a par to clinch a spot in the playoffs for Oklahoma State. She made triple bogey. And it seemed like the camera kept a close-up on her face during the entire debacle around the green and for ten minutes afterwards.
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-25-2016 at 09:06 AM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I am not a great fan of golf channel's coverage of actual golf. The last solheim cup is an example. Wie had a great round, yet we saw only a chip shot she messed up. The showed mostly drives and putts and very little from the middle of the round. They also have a large number of commercials, although it seemed less than that this week.

We be done.

I thought Leona was amazing. She nearly finished the match all square if not for a bad drive on 17. She was so sick that she needed one of the coaches with her the entire round to pick up the flag after putting because she couldn't bend over to pick it up herself. The announcers mentioned that on Monday, Leona had to convince herself that the ball was not moving at address. Pretty great effort, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    I thought Leona was amazing. She nearly finished the match all square if not for a bad drive on 17. She was so sick that she needed one of the coaches with her the entire round to pick up the flag after putting because she couldn't bend over to pick it up herself. The announcers mentioned that on Monday, Leona had to convince herself that the ball was not moving at address. Pretty great effort, all things considered.
    Yes, VERY gutsy performance by Leona! She was in the match until the very last putt. She deserves a LOT of credit.

And congrats to all the team members! What an amazing performance by VEC to win the individual title in a record-breaking fashion. Another very good year for Duke women's golf. Would have been nice to have made it to the finals but Stanford is a very good team and it's hard to compete at this level when two of your best players are not at their best. It is a young team and next year should be exciting too.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yes, VERY gutsy performance by Leona! She was in the match until the very last putt. She deserves a LOT of credit.

And congrats to all the team members! What an amazing performance by VEC to win the individual title in a record-breaking fashion. Another very good year for Duke women's golf. Would have been nice to have made it to the finals but Stanford is a very good team and it's hard to compete at this level when two of your best players are not at their best. It is a young team and next year should be exciting too.
    Stanford also gets a lotta credit for pulling it together at NCAA tournament time. The Cardinal was ranked only #12 among all the teams participating. Duke was #5; USC and UCLA were #2 and #3, FWIW, Alabama was #1 and didn't come close to making the playoffs.

I am still somewhat ambivalent about "36-hole Tuesday." I mean, for heavens sales! Classes are over! Why not take an extra day? Last year, our trim and slim ladies looked a bit fatigued in the semis against the sturdy Baylor misses, when the players had to carry their own bags. This year the players used push carts, but we played better in the morning against a tough USC team than against Stanford.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Stanford also gets a lotta credit for pulling it together at NCAA tournament time. The Cardinal was ranked only #12 among all the teams participating. Duke was #5; USC and UCLA were #2 and #3, FWIW, Alabama was #1 and didn't come close to making the playoffs.

I am still somewhat ambivalent about "36-hole Tuesday." I mean, for heavens sales! Classes are over! Why not take an extra day? Last year, our trim and slim ladies looked a bit fatigued in the semis against the sturdy Baylor misses, when the players had to carry their own bags. This year the players used push carts, but we played better in the morning against a tough USC team than against Stanford.
    I posted, in response to an inquiry yesterday, that they were using push carts. I watched the semis (on DVR) yesterday, and noticed that there were a few players carrying their bags.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

I agree with you about the 36 holes on the first day. I'm not sure of the reason for this, but I do think the Duke players, at least, looked a little fatigued during the match against Stanford. Had to be very tough for Leona, especially, who was already not feeling well (and I noticed that she was carrying her own bag instead of using a pull cart?). Her last two tee shots, on 17 and 18, were both low pull hooks - the type of shot you hit when you are tired. Probably cost her the match, at that point.