Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Throaty, looks like you figured out how to change your byline...nice choice, btw.

Thanks for the new board system. It looks really good but will take some getting used to for the more casual poster.

Tommac

Quote Originally Posted by DankeShane View Post
    I have a question - what's the deal with the "group memberships" that I see in profiles. Is a group something a mod would create, i.e. the Official Paulus Fanclub, and they send out mass private messages or something to anyone that wants to be a part of this group? Just curious how that feature works.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it would work. I've only glanced at the feature and haven't delved into the implementation specifics, but that's the general drift.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    How do you set up an IMG function so that your image shows? Mine is only showing the link to the photo.
    Right above the text box in your reply, in the second line that starts B I U, go to the yellowish box that looks like a moon over two mountain peaks. Click on it, then insert your link in the script prompt that appears, click OK, and you're done.

I'll do it with your link:

Ta dah!

Oooh, I see how to do it in a post, but I was trying to do that for a signature. Can that be done?
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Looking great!

It's looking great. Kudos!

The only "refinement" I'd still like is a WAP skin so I can use my Blackberry to browse the forums. I use it all the time for the main site, and it works quite well there.

The Blackberry Forums site is a great example of a WAP BBS. You can find it at http://wap.blackberryforums.com - but you can only see it if you have a wap browser (on a phone) or an extension to your browser. If you create a user ID, you can set all sorts of parameters.

Thanks again for the major upgrade to the BBS!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Boswell View Post
    As requested, I've added a new line in User Profiles for "Duke Affiliation" - class year, a parent, an employee, etc... Just go to "Quick Links," then "Edit Profile."
    You can also get there from "User CP" (for user control panel.)

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    Oooh, I see how to do it in a post, but I was trying to do that for a signature. Can that be done?
    Yes, you should be able to do an image in your signature. I've set that option but did limit the size to 500 pixels wide by 100 pixels tall. That might still be too large for many people, but let's see how it works out.

Question Coolio! & a random thought

In the words of my 12 year-old... "Coolio!"... I feel like a kid on Christmas with a new toy! Great job guys!

One thought that just came to me while checking in on the different boards here... with only one thread currently on the Lacrosse board, when can we fold that back into the off-topic board???
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Talking

Thank you thank you thank you
    I love my DBR

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Jumbo clearly has, though, because his byline says "moderator." How'd you do it, Jumbo?
    Must.
    Salute.
    Wit.
    Of this.

Other vBulletin boards I visit have the ability to "view new posts since last visit" and to "mark all posts read". Will you add this feature here?

- Pacer

Bylines, hmmm. I've changed from "Ornery Southern Galoot" as Boswell had me, to "Member" and then to "Active Member" just in the last few.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Other vBulletin boards I visit have the ability to "view new posts since last visit" and to "mark all posts read". Will you add this feature here?

- Pacer
    This answers half of your question:

Where did you get that??

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post

Bylines, hmmm. I've changed from "Ornery Southern Galoot" as Boswell had me, to "Member" and then to "Active Member" just in the last few.
    I've Galooted you again. I don't know why it changed. I didn't change it, and Julio's not at his computer.

Also, I have no earthly idea how you got an avatar. I went into the administration site, and it has avatars turned off. Hmmm, maybe it's not for moderators. I'll have to check it out.

Update: Yep, moderators have the ability to use avatars. I suppose we should allow either everyone or no one to use avatars.
    Last edited by Boswell; 02-28-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it would work. I've only glanced at the feature and haven't delved into the implementation specifics, but that's the general drift.
    Bos, as an owner of a site also using VBulletin, I can tell you that the board system is simply amazing. There's enough options in there to keep you busy for weeks!

You can really do about anything you want.

Identifying Posts I've Read...

...would be an excellent refinement. It was very useful on the old boards.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Marked As Read Options

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    ...would be an excellent refinement. It was very useful on the old boards.
    Since I basically don't know what I'm doing with a lot of these features, here are the options I have, so if any experts can chime in, I'd appreciate it:

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Thanks in advance!

Since I basically don't know what I'm doing with a lot of these features, here are the options I have, so if any experts can chime in, I'd appreciate it:

1. Inactivity/Cookie Based - once a user has been inactive for a certain amount of time (the value of the session timeout option) all threads and forums are considered read. Individual threads are marked as read within a session via cookies. This option is how all versions of vBulletin before 3.5 functioned.

2. Database (no automatic forum marking) - this option uses the database to store thread and forum read times. This allows accurate read markers to be kept indefinitely. However, in order for a forum to be marked read when all threads are read, the user must view the list of threads for that forum. This option is more space and processor intensive than inactivity-based marking.

3. Database (automatic forum marking) - this option is the same as a previous option, but forums are automatically marked as read when the last new thread is read. This is the most usable option for end users, but most processor intensive.

Thanks in advance!
    Personally, I'd prefer the second or third option (more the second than third), and definitely not the first. I frequently leave DBR open on my computer, and I'd rather it not guess that I want to mark things read that I haven't actually read yet.

-jk

Right now, I notice that in the thread listing view, threads with new/unread posts are bold compared to those without... So, that's a good start...

I like the boards where the thread listing view also presents a button at the end of each thread title that allows me to jump to the first unread post within that thread...

(I realize that this would likely be dependent upon tracking the post readings, and as such is a level beyond what Bos is discussing above.)