Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Today is the first day of official practice for CBB.

And so it begins...

Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I know it's premature, but I have a good feeling about Javin(RSCI 35). In the Duke Summer Grind tape, he looks(for lack of a better word) "springy," athletically like a taller version of Brian Davis. His Twitter posts reflect a serious/determined mindset. I know it'll be challenging for him to get a lot of minutes with a packed frontcourt, but I'm optimistic he can contribute. I can potentially see him being used to lock down a SF/PF who might be "going off." Any thoughts? Thanks.
    My (extremely early) assessment of him is a more athletic version of Amile Jefferson. Seriously. I think this guy has the potential to be an absolutely awesome 4 year player. He's 6'9”, 222 pounds with a 7'0” wingspan and an 8'10” standing reach. So, quite literally, the exact same measurements, but obviously much more physically developed than Amile as a freshman.

He's got a reputation for being very disruptive on defense and has a very strong motor, which allows him to gobble up rebounds and get putbacks. The serious/determined mindset comment also gives me hope that he could become the type of leader and glue guy that Amile has been for us all these years. He's still very limited offensively, and has more of a center's skill set in a power forward's body right now (I don't think he'll play a single minute at SF in his entire career), but down the road, he'll potentially become a very, very valuable contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Today is the first day of official practice for CBB.

And so it begins...
    Jeff Goodman's tweet this morning about Harry:

Duke (like many schools) will hold its first official practice today. Freshman Harry Giles has been brought along slowly and that will continue to be the plan as he recovers from a torn ACL suffered in the first game of his senior season in high school at Oak Hill Academy. Giles still on track to play in the season-opener on Nov. 11. "I'm definitely confident," Giles said of playing in the opener.

Amile with a motivational letter to the frosh about the start of practice.

Amile's letter drives home to me how fortunate one is to be a Duke hoopster. The years flew by me as a mere student. I can only imagine the lightspeed suffered by actual players.

Two minutes of sights and sounds from the first official practice today: https://twitter.com/Duke_MBB/status/782018041219612672

So Giles is slated to be out until at least the first game. Whether that means he might be available for games in 6 weeks or whether that would be when he can begin basketball activities, idk. It will definitely have an impact on the early-season minutes distribution. Bolden and Jeter would earn most of those minutes, i would guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    So Giles is slated to be out until at least the first game. Whether that means he might be available for games in 6 weeks or whether that would be when he can begin basketball activities, idk. It will definitely have an impact on the early-season minutes distribution. Bolden and Jeter would earn most of those minutes, i would guess.
    I think they're up for grabs for almost anyone who is playing well. If playing the best six or seven guys means more small ball, I think we'll see it.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I think they're up for grabs for almost anyone who is playing well. If playing the best six or seven guys means more small ball, I think we'll see it.
    It will be interesting after CTC and the exhibition games to see if anyone thinks Javin Delaurier might steal a few minutes while Giles is out.

I always caution that young big men typically have enough foul trouble to effectively limit their minutes. That could be the case for Bolden and Jeter in the early months.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It will be interesting after CTC and the exhibition games to see if anyone thinks Javin Delaurier might steal a few minutes while Giles is out.

I always caution that young big men typically have enough foul trouble to effectively limit their minutes. That could be the case for Bolden and Jeter in the early months.
    I literally had a dream last night.

Starting line-up for the first game was Grayson (duh), Tatum (duh), Amile (duh), M Jones, and...Javin Delaurier. Don't know why. It was a pretty amusing dream. I missed 50% of the games due to work/family and, before I knew it, we were in the Final Four. I literally woke up thinking, "where the hell did the season go?"

Moral of the story: cherish this season. It's gonna be fun.

Moral of the story #2: when you dream of Duke basketball, you clearly have a problem.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Was this posted?

5th year senior Amile ate freshman Amile:

https://twitter.com/dukeblueplanet/s...rc=twsrc%5Etfw
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Various tweets from reporters covering Duke's Media Day:

Stephen Schramm@stephenschramm 2h2 hours ago
    Before getting to basketball, Coach K takes a moment to remember Larry Stogner, longtime local TV newsman."You could trust what he said."

Joe Mazur@joemazurabc11 2h2 hours agoDurham, NC
    Also touched on the loss of Alan Roses, a Duke researcher who died at age 73. Classy opener by Krzyzewski

Adam Rowe@BlueDevilLair 2h2 hours ago
    Coach K expresses sympathies to Larry Stogner and Alan Roses' family.

Brant Wilkerson-New@BrantGNR 2h2 hours ago
    Coach K says Harry Giles' knee scope has nothing to do with ACL. Six weeks is a conservative estimate for return

ACC Now@accnow 2h2 hours ago
    Coach K says structurally Giles knees are fine and should not be a chronic problem despite injuries to both. Says arthroscopy was a cleanup.

Stephen Wiseman@stevewisemanNC 2h2 hours agoDurham, NC
    Coach K said plan is to pace Grayson Allen early in practice. "We know what he can do." Don't want to beat him up in October.

Stephen Schramm@stephenschramm 17m17 minutes ago
    #Duke's Grayson Allen on being held out of occasional practices in order to rest: "I hate it."

J.B. Ricks@JB_Ricks 2h2 hours ago
    Coach talks about the importance of having Grayson, Amyle & Matt Jones. The team goes through them. They were on court for Natty in '15.

Blue Devil Nation@BlueDevilNation 1h1 hour agoDurham, NC
    Coach K said there would be a lot of full court pressing on defense. K said that would be the base defense again this season.

J.B. Ricks@JB_Ricks 2h2 hours ago
    Coach K says they're not going to have a conventional PG this year.

Brant Wilkerson-New@BrantGNR 2h2 hours ago
    K: "I would hope you won't look at our team in a conventional way." Says Duke won't have a traditional PG, likes their versatility

Every question with regard to specific position (guard/wing) leads to a lecture by K on how they don't limit roles.Just "basketball players"

Adam Rowe@BlueDevilLair 2h2 hours ago
    Coach K: There's no question you'll see the lineup with Amile at center, Jayson, Matt, Grayson, Frank or Luke"

Ken Medlin@kenmedlin 2h2 hours ago
    K: "Our goal is to win a national championship... We have a team, that if it's healthy, that's a legitimate goal"

"Will we have all the talent available... " when it's time to win the national title? That's what coach K says is the biggest question

ACC Now@accnow 1h1 hour ago
    On subjects of protests, Coach K says will meet as team to discuss it. Says school is about allowing "kids to express their views."

J.B. Ricks@JB_Ricks 1h1 hour ago
    "You're not just an individual. You're part of a group." ~Coach K~

ACC Now@accnow 1h1 hour ago
    Coach K says once group decision is made, "I'm good with it."

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Various tweets from reporters covering Duke's Media Day:

Stephen Schramm@stephenschramm 2h2 hours ago
    Before getting to basketball, Coach K takes a moment to remember Larry Stogner, longtime local TV newsman."You could trust what he said."

This list of Tweets is just terrific. Thanks for assembling.

Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Blue Devil Nation@BlueDevilNation 1h1 hour agoDurham, NC
    Coach K said there would be a lot of full court pressing on defense. K said that would be the base defense again this season.
    I have wanted us to use our depth in this way every game for long stretches. Has not happened yet. I am not expecting a lot of it this year, but more would be cool with our wing/backcourt depth.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    I have wanted us to use our depth in this way every game for long stretches. Has not happened yet. I am not expecting a lot of it this year, but more would be cool with our wing/backcourt depth.
    Well, it hasn't happened since '99-'01, if my increasingly foggy memory is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Well, it hasn't happened since '99-'01, if my increasingly foggy memory is correct.
    I share the skepticism of others about the likelihood of Duke pressing for lengthy stretches of the game. It's certainly possible, but I'd still be surprised.

One reason I'll be surprised, though, is that this amateur armchair analyst feels that the strengths of this year's team will be best served in the half court, anyway. Our big lineup with Marques/Chase/Harry(when healthy) Amile(or Harry), Jayson, Grayson, and Matt/Luke/Frank has a size advantage at almost every position, but not necessarily a quickness advantage. I don't think this team will be lacking in terms of athleticism, but, unless Frank demands starters' minutes and looks as mobile as a young Jason Williams, I don't feel like this team has the classic "tip of the spear" ball-hawk at the point guard spot that all of Coach K's pressing teams of yore had. In fact, I don't think Duke has had a guy like that since Duhon left. We've had superb defenders, of course, but they've all been a bit different from the combo of Duhon and Williams, Avery, or even Wojo.

Instead, I see us using our size advantage at most positions to be more effective in half court D.

Caveat: If we are going to press, I'd wager it means we're going to see a lot of the "small" lineup with Amile, Jayson, and three guards, especially while (if?) Harry is out.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    I share the skepticism of others about the likelihood of Duke pressing for lengthy stretches of the game. It's certainly possible, but I'd still be surprised.

One reason I'll be surprised, though, is that this amateur armchair analyst feels that the strengths of this year's team will be best served in the half court, anyway. Our big lineup with Marques/Chase/Harry(when healthy) Amile(or Harry), Jayson, Grayson, and Matt/Luke/Frank has a size advantage at almost every position, but not necessarily a quickness advantage. I don't think this team will be lacking in terms of athleticism, but, unless Frank demands starters' minutes and looks as mobile as a young Jason Williams, I don't feel like this team has the classic "tip of the spear" ball-hawk at the point guard spot that all of Coach K's pressing teams of yore had. In fact, I don't think Duke has had a guy like that since Duhon left. We've had superb defenders, of course, but they've all been a bit different from the combo of Duhon and Williams, Avery, or even Wojo.

Instead, I see us using our size advantage at most positions to be more effective in half court D.

Caveat: If we are going to press, I'd wager it means we're going to see a lot of the "small" lineup with Amile, Jayson, and three guards, especially while (if?) Harry is out.
    I think this is on point. We've got some great size across the board, and although we are MUCH deeper than we were in 2010, I see us going with a more conservative approach on defense like we did that year to take advantage of the size we have (as well as to mask any quickness deficiencies we are likely to run into). I also think we are going to use a decent amount of zone, because we have the length to do it.

We've had ballhawk type guys come along since Duhon (Nolan Smith, Tyler Thornton, Sean Dockery, Quinn Cook in his senior year), but we haven't had multiple guys like that peaking in the same year defensively, which I believe is what you really need to effectively press.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I think this is on point. We've got some great size across the board, and although we are MUCH deeper than we were in 2010, I see us going with a more conservative approach on defense like we did that year to take advantage of the size we have (as well as to mask any quickness deficiencies we are likely to run into). I also think we are going to use a decent amount of zone, because we have the length to do it.

We've had ballhawk type guys come along since Duhon (Nolan Smith, Tyler Thornton, Sean Dockery, Quinn Cook in his senior year), but we haven't had multiple guys like that peaking in the same year defensively, which I believe is what you really need to effectively press.
    I agree with you and COYS. I was wondering about K describing the full court press at the "base" defense. What does that mean? Does it mean Duke will play it more than other defenses? Or is there some other more subtle meaning?

I suppose the shorter shot clock might mean that it makes sense to run a conservative press, to make the other team spend a few more of the precious 30 seconds in the backcourt.

Good interview of Grayson by TSN's Decourcy.

Snippets:

[Coach K] told me this year we were going to have an opportunity to have a really special team. The talent we had, I was going to have fun playing with. And it’s all been true. We have a great team.
    It’s nice to score 20 points a game. It’s also nice to end your season with a win. That’s what I’m trying to do this year. If that means I go from scoring 20 points a game to having five guys score around 10-11 points a game, that’s great with me. I know that doesn’t mean that I’ve become worse of a player.
    “This year, I don’t think we have a natural point guard,” Allen said. “Me and Frank being the two that most likely being in the PG position — we’re scorers. We look to attack. We don’t have one guy you’d call a point guard. We have a bunch of basketball players out there. We’re not going to be defined to positions.”
    Also a quote in there from Coach K saying he's "not one bit" worried about the lack of a point guard.

Good interview of Grayson by TSN's Decourcy.

Snippets:

Also a quote in there from Coach K saying he's "not one bit" worried about the lack of a point guard.
    This is inline with everything that I'm thinking about with regards to this year's team. I'm not worried about health (other than Grayson's bull-in-a-china-shop style) nor the PG position nor leadership nor gelling as a team; I'm worried about the big ole D. It's defense that I think this team will initially struggle with and hopefully get it together during ACC play.