Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    UK fans are making up rumors all over the internet that Bolden's mom literally forced Marques to choose Duke even though he and his dad wanted UK...man this Big Blue Nation really wanted this guy huh??? What a bunch of sore losers.

I've genuinely never seen a recruit's parent so happy when their kid announces that he's going to Duke, she was ecstatic. Proud mama!!!
    Smart young man. It took me until I had kids of my own to understand: if mama's not happy, . . .

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Actually, Coach K had 5-6 frontcourt players for the 2009-10 campaign: Zoubs, LT, MP1, MP2, Kelly, and Singler. Given the complete lack of backcourt depth, Singler played nearly exclusively at the 3. Kelly wasn't ready to contribute at all. The other 4 split minutes between the 4 and the 5. This year? We have some backcourt depth (5 ready-to-play players, actually) AND frontcourt depth. Someone is getting squeezed. The question is who?
    The fact that 5 of those guys are in the NBA is unreal...

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Bolden > Jeter

Seems like most people are in agreement with this statement.

Can someone tell me why this is the consensus? We've never seen Bolden play against college kids.
    The simplest reason is that his measurable are off the charts (and are similar to someone like Cousins). On the court he has good body control, rebounds outside of his area, and can use both hands to catch off the pick and roll. His only real knock is his range and tendency to take plays off (something that I'm guessing K gets out of him real quickly). He's basically the proto-typical rim protector in today's NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Skitzle View Post
    Bolden > Jeter

Seems like most people are in agreement with this statement.

Can someone tell me why this is the consensus? We've never seen Bolden play against college kids.
    Jeter seems better physically suited to be a 4-ish player, and that's almost certainly to be his role as a professional unless he puts on serious pounds or develops cleverness in the paint. So maybe Giles or Jefferson is his comp more than Bolden. I've never seen him excel at jump shots though. Sticky wicket for Chase, but it's worked for Amile at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    Possible, but not certain. It's been so many years since Coach K has had this kind of front court depth available that there is no way to know.

And it's not entirely unprecedented for 5 front court players to get meaningful minutes.

Coach K did so in 1988-89 with Danny Ferry (33), Robert Brickey (25), John Smith (20), Laettner (17) and Alaa (16).

And pretty close to it in 1989-90 with Laettner (30), Brickey (27), Alaa (25), Koubek (15) and Crawford Palmer/Clay Buckley between them averaging 7.

This will no doubt be a real challenge for Chase - hopefully he rises to it.
    I believe in '89, Smith was a 2.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, you gotta love his mother ! I had tears in my eyes too, as she was jumping up and down and hugging him. Just a purely happy emotional moment for her. Nothing artificial about it. (and there's nothing like making your mother happy too). I hope she can attend some games in Cameron.

Is he projected as a OAD?
    I would doubt it. Big guys need time and the league is about shooting or skill around the hoop. Unless he starts and blows up- I expect he will stay until his junior year.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I would doubt it. Big guys need time and the league is about shooting or skill around the hoop. Unless he starts and blows up- I expect he will stay until his junior year.
    But does he share your expectation?

It's significant that K just went head to head with Cal in a full court press recruiting battle and won.
    Marques carefully considered both options (with comparable playing time) and chose Duke. Other top studs may also reach the same conclusion going forward. Cal no longer gets all the top players, and it must be burning him up.

I wonder if today Thornton thinks something like - "Damn Duke will be good next year. How awesome would it be to point guard that team and celebrate a national championship? And that team could use a point guard. Or my other option is to sit on the bench all of next year at a new school. How might that help my development?" I wonder if he thinks about reconsidering, and I bet he does.

Yes I know scholarship numbers, and yes Jim Sumner has indicated there may still be other changes to next year's roster this summer.

It's fun to imagine making next year's superteam even more loaded though. Ok back to the real world, where it's another great day to be a Dukie.

Quote Originally Posted by fraggler View Post
    Welcome, Marques! That makes, what, 8 guys on the roster 6'8" and over?
    10 guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    10 guys!
    Yeah, I counted that out too (on the minutes thread that just started). And 4 at or over 6'10"!

Quote Originally Posted by BandAlum83 View Post
    1. The joy in his Mother's reaction brought tears to my eyes. Maybe I'm getting old and sentimental, but as someone with grown kids, I can totally relate to the moment.

[/U]
    Me too. I actually cried this week when my daughter called to tell me that she just got her dream job. Nursing in pediatrics at Duke Hospital of all places. She was crying too by the way!!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Cal no longer gets all the top players, and it must be burning him up.
    I hope I can sleep at night knowing that Cal is disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by dyedwab View Post
    I expect many, many quotes from K and his assistants about how, for the first time in a couple of years, we've been able to have full intensity practices, and how important that will be to the team's development.
    It is worth noting that the practices will have to be intense because I suspect that the 2nd team will be better than at least 50% of the competition we face next season, likely more.

If we assume the starting lineup will be: Allen, Matty, Tatum, Giles, and Jefferson, I think a solid case can be made that Jackson, Kennard, Delaurier/White/Robinson/whoever, Jeter, and Bolden would be a top 25 team.

-Jason "I am deadly serious. We are going to massacre college basketball next season" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

My very best wishes to Mr.Bolden, you've made the best decision of your life so far !!
    Also my utmost congrats to the recruiting/coaching staff for all of the long,hard work you put into this young man. A WIN WIN all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is worth noting that the practices will have to be intense because I suspect that the 2nd team will be better than at least 50% of the competition we face next season, likely more.

If we assume the starting lineup will be: Allen, Matty, Tatum, Giles, and Jefferson, I think a solid case can be made that Jackson, Kennard, Delaurier/White/Robinson/whoever, Jeter, and Bolden would be a top 25 team.

-Jason "I am deadly serious. We are going to massacre college basketball next season" Evans
    Yep, possibly undefeated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Prospects for Jeter contributing just dimmed even more (if that was possible). I really thought that kid would end up as more than a Zoubek.
    Personally, I'd be ok with Jeter being the 4th or 5th best player on a national championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    But does he share your expectation?
    I doubt it- but time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Was the "University of Duke" phrasing a troll of UK or a mistake? Either way, come on down Marques!

I hope K is already wearing that rotation so that it is properly stretched out by November.
    Years ago, Magic Johnson was at Cameron for a game and during an in-game interview, he referred to us as The University at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

On paper I agree - but much depends on whether Amile and Harry are completely healed.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    Yep, possibly undefeated.

OK, I am a CPA and by nature pretty level headed and rational. I get the exuberance (and share it as well). This team as the potential to be great. But so far, all we have won is the offseason. That's a good thing, but as the Nats found out last year, it doesn't count for much.

We have no pure PG to replace DT (although we have a "PG by committee" possibility with talented kids). We also have 8-10 (?) strong players that have to mesh and put their egos aside when they don't get the playing time they have been used to. And, there are events beyond our control that could (will?) occur (i.e., Amile, Kyrie, and Ryan, etc).

Now, if there is any coach who can accomplish this, it's K. But without dowsing the excitement of the last four hours, there is a lot of work still to be done. It will be a blast watching this team and speculating all summer on minutes, line-ups, end results and the like, but I am not ready to anoint them undefeated NCs.

(Sorry if I sound like a downer. I am generally optimistic - but also realistic. NOR am I criticizing anyone for his/her excitement.)