Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Well, yeah, it's possible. But he's also a rising senior. One would think that missing home would have creeped in years ago.

- Chillin
    And he would have missed home a helluva lot more traveling with the NBA, if they would have him. C'mon now, we're talking about a 21 year old senior, not a 17 or 18 year old freshman. Big difference. I wouldn't put it past Calipari to use the "missing home" language as a snarky comment on the Thornton situation.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Duke is the "cool" kid on the block

Article from a Kentucky fan site that, believe it or not, is pretty congratulatory of Duke: http://fansided150.com/2016/05/23/ke...decision-mean/

Highlights: Duke's amazing recent success in the NBA draft (Jabari, Okafor, Ingram) coupled with really good success in the tournament is making kids choose Duke over Kentucky. I would tend to agree.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    And he would have missed home a helluva lot more traveling with the NBA, if they would have him. C'mon now, we're talking about a 21 year old senior, not a 17 or 18 year old freshman. Big difference. I wouldn't put it past Calipari to use the "missing home" language as a snarky comment on the Thornton situation.
    I wouldn't put anything past Calipari either. However, as probably more than half of all official transfer statements cite some variation of "homesick", "missing home", or "closer to family" I doubt this Duke-specific snark.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It is possible he felt he wasn't getting the instruction and development work he needed at Kentucky. I'm not saying Cal is bad at teaching basketball, but some kids respond to coaching methods differently than others do.

It is also possible he just really missed home and wants to be closer to his family and friends. Not exactly a crazy notion. I have strongly encouraged my kids not to look at schools on the other side of the United States, not because California is bad but because I know the distance (especially the time zones) would make it harder for us to stay in touch and connected to each other's lives.

-Jason "San Fran to Lexington is a looooong way!" Evans
    I think this may be as simple as Lee recognizing that playing time is going to be once again hard to come by with all of the front court talent coming in. Perhaps he just wants to be featured more to potentially be a more attractive draft pick in the future. It may just be more about Lee than UK.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    I think this may be as simple as Lee [FINALLY] recognizing that playing time is going to be once again hard to come by with all of the front court talent coming in. Perhaps he just wants to be featured more to potentially be a more attractive draft pick in the future. It may just be more about Lee than UK.
    Lee finally realized he couldn't trust what he had been told during recruiting. "Oh sure, you'll play!" Which became: "umm, well, maybe not as much as we discussed..."

Quote Originally Posted by MPandolfi View Post
    Just shows an immaturity that we probably could do without. I don't know about other people, but I'd be proud to say yes to something, not no to another thing.

I was proud to say yes to Duke. I wasn't "proud" of saying no to MIT or ND.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Lee finally realized he couldn't trust what he had been told during recruiting. "Oh sure, you'll play!" Which became: "umm, well, maybe not as much as we discussed..."
    If that's the case, then what of Obi & Jeter?

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    If that's the case, then what of Obi & Jeter?
    Do you know what they were told?

We discussed this after Thornton left and his uncle complained ... historically, K has NEVER promised anything other than an opportunity. Brandon Ingram said that was what impressed him most -- K never promised him minutes, shots or even a starting job -- he promised an opportunity.

I can't imagine that Jeter and/or Obi were offered more than that. Both Jeter and Obi had every chance to play last season, especially after Amile went down. K would have killed to have either of them step up and play major minutes. But neither was able to do that.

I actually don't know what Cal promises his recruits. It seems to be a promise to maximize a player's chance to get to the NBA quickly. But that' based on what I read. I'm not close to that program and don't know if that's what he promised Lee or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Do you know what they were told?

We discussed this after Thornton left and his uncle complained ... historically, K has NEVER promised anything other than an opportunity. Brandon Ingram said that was what impressed him most -- K never promised him minutes, shots or even a starting job -- he promised an opportunity.

I can't imagine that Jeter and/or Obi were offered more than that. Both Jeter and Obi had every chance to play last season, especially after Amile went down. K would have killed to have either of them step up and play major minutes. But neither was able to do that.

I actually don't know what Cal promises his recruits. It seems to be a promise to maximize a player's chance to get to the NBA quickly. But that' based on what I read. I'm not close to that program and don't know if that's what he promised Lee or not.
    No I don't know. Just like we don't know what Cal has told his guys. This is a hyper competitive level of basketball. If you don't meet the pecking order, you don't play. Which is why I made the point earlier that Lee moving on may be more about him than UK.

Some interesting Twitter back and forth about Marques (and some about Harry) courtesy of Fran Fraschilla:

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 3h3 hours ago Dallas, TX
    Duke is obviously loaded, especially in front court. I think 6-11 frosh Marques Bolden will have pedestrian stats & still be Top 8 pick.

Reply:
    Lol define what u mean by pedestrian??? Don't think his #s will be that low

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla
    On THAT team, he's not averaging 18 & 11 but it won't matter. More athletic than Okafor.

@Sam_Vecenie Sam Vecenie Retweeted Fran Fraschilla
    Honestly, w/ Giles, Jefferson, Tatum plus all the guards, will be surprised if Bolden averages more than half 18/11

Fran Fraschilla Retweeted Sam Vecenie
    It won't matter, Sam, if effort level is there, he's high pick. Excellent HS coach. Big time athlete.

And, @Sam_Vecenie, while I expect Giles to have huge year, Croatia game in '15 for Gold a minor concern. Couldn't score over that length.

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago Dallas, TX
    Of course, @Sam_Vecenie, outside of @DraftExpress & couple others, few knew who Zubac was in '15. Hard for any 18-year old to score over him

Fran Fraschilla ‏@franfraschilla 2h2 hours ago Dallas, TX
    Here's point. The consensus Top 5 in August will not be next May. Someone like Bolden can/will emerge. Better prospect than many think, IMO

@franfraschilla you really think bolden is top 8?

Fran Fraschilla Retweeted Rees Justice
    Not yet but from what I've seen, future prototype NBA big. Reports from Durham are very positive.

I think Fraschilla's initial statement is pretty sound...Bolden could average 9 and 6 for example (not a prediction, mind you) and
    still be a top eight draft choice...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think Fraschilla's initial statement is pretty sound...Bolden could average 9 and 6 for example (not a prediction, mind you) and
    still be a top eight draft choice...
    I think it's very possible Bolden and Giles both play around 20 minutes a game and we have a center position "by committee."

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    I think it's very possible Bolden and Giles both play around 20 minutes a game and we have a center position "by committee."
    I'm guessing that Bolden, Jeter, and Jefferson will play the center position by committee so that Giles and Tatum can play a little away from the basket and make use of the reality that they will (potentially) be the two most talented players on the floor in every game we play this year.

Draft boards seem to think Bolden will be a top pick as long as he retains his wingspan and standing reach. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing he doesn't shrink.

I think Fraschilla's tweet was meant more as a compliment to Bolden in terms of his physical measurements and NBA potential, and not as a knock on him as far as what kind of stats he's capable of putting up. And it's also a statement about how loaded we're going to be in talent and depth.

Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    ...I have strongly encouraged my kids not to look at schools on the other side of the United States, not because California is bad but because I know the distance (especially the time zones) would make it harder for us to stay in touch and connected to each other's lives.

-Jason "San Fran to Lexington is a looooong way!" Evans

Not really surprising from the guy who proudly boasts, "my mother is making me Tweet."

Well, Howdy friend . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Im4howdy View Post
    Not really surprising from the guy who proudly boasts, "my mother is making me Tweet."
    Don't recall seeing you around, thought I'd say 'hi'. Also, point out that Jason "the funny dude" Evans guy mostly has his act together, along with a pretty good sense of humor and, usually, pretty solid insights.

Thinking that maybe studying the guy's body of work might make a difference in the way he's perceived around here.

Also seem to remember that the rules of the place offer a premium on content over snark, substantive debate over personal insult.

Not your usual BB place, but I like it.